This day on November 19
Departed: Alexei Semenov (2005)

Happy Birthday To: Dharmaboy, shifty, crash, brando, Oilersfans253, LazySunday

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 SeasonPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698775 is a reply to message #698763 ]
Fri, 08 September 2017 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 07 September 2017 17:03

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 07 September 2017 13:28

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/oilers-anton-s lepyshev-sidelined-for-training-camp/

"... Slepyshev will be sidelined for training camp -- and could miss Opening Night against Calgary -- due to an ankle injury suffered during offseason training, Mark Spector of Sportsnet reports. ...."

I thought Slepyshev was steady if not spectacular during the past season and during the post season...hope this setback doesn't derail his progress long term...

Say it with me:

"Jagr! Jagr! Jagr!"

... or

"Iginla" if you prefer.

I heard Friedman this morning on the Calgary station 960 talking hockey and one of the points he talked about was Jagr and why he hasn't signed. Apparently the issue with Jagr is he wants control over his situation. He wants to know that he will be with the team and not traded at say the deadline, he wants to know his role, etc. So if you are the Oilers, are you going to promise a 46yr old anything? I wouldn't.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698776 is a reply to message #698775 ]
Fri, 08 September 2017 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 September 2017 08:22

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/oilers-anton-s lepyshev-sidelined-for-training-camp/

"... Slepyshev will be sidelined for training camp -- and could miss Opening Night against Calgary -- due to an ankle injury suffered during offseason training, Mark Spector of Sportsnet reports. ...."

I thought Slepyshev was steady if not spectacular during the past season and during the post season...hope this setback doesn't derail his progress long term...

Say it with me:

"Jagr! Jagr! Jagr!"

... or

"Iginla" if you prefer.

I heard Friedman this morning on the Calgary station 960 talking hockey and one of the points he talked about was Jagr and why he hasn't signed. Apparently the issue with Jagr is he wants control over his situation. He wants to know that he will be with the team and not traded at say the deadline, he wants to know his role, etc. So if you are the Oilers, are you going to promise a 46yr old anything? I wouldn't.

It's funny because all of his concerns can be solved with a NMC. He says he needs lots of salary so they can't bury him, well, not you don't, just need NMC. If he would sign cheap (say 2M), I don't really see an issue with a NMC. If he gets hurt, then he can always go on IR.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698781 is a reply to message #698776 ]
Fri, 08 September 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 08 September 2017 08:54

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 September 2017 08:22

Say it with me:

"Jagr! Jagr! Jagr!"

... or

"Iginla" if you prefer.

It's funny because all of his concerns can be solved with a NMC. He says he needs lots of salary so they can't bury him, well, not you don't, just need NMC. If he would sign cheap (say 2M), I don't really see an issue with a NMC. If he gets hurt, then he can always go on IR.

He must believe he still has some leverage if he's asking for all those things. It suggests to me that he does have suitors, or that he'd rather not play than have to deal with a trade he doesn't want. That's fair. He's 46, he's probably earned the chance to call his shot. If it means he hangs 'em up in the end, that's his call.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698785 is a reply to message #698781 ]
Fri, 08 September 2017 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If I am Jagr at 46, I want no part of a West team and all the additional travel. Unless a West team just throws a ridiculous amount of money at me, I am not signing a 1 yr, cheap deal to travel that much. So if you eliminated an entire conference, your choices are probably pretty small if any.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698793 is a reply to message #698785 ]
Fri, 08 September 2017 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

While I would like to see Yamomoto spend the full training camp and maybe get in a preseason game or 2, I hope and pray they send the kid down to junior. At 5'8, 153, he is flat out too small to play for the Oilers for the next couple of seasons. Gaudreau proved that guys his size can play in the NHL and do really well but Gaudreau came into the league in his low 20's. There is a big time difference in strength between a 20-21 yr old vs and 18 yr old.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698846 is a reply to message #694557 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McLellan told Stauffer he expects Drai at C to start, and also Nuge at C. So guess we're trying the 3 lines deep deal. Wonder how long that will last.

He also said he expects JJ and JP to be on the same line. Would guess centered by Nuge on the 3rd line I guess. I suppose we should expect Strome to be playing RW to start as well.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698847 is a reply to message #698846 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 11:57

McLellan told Stauffer he expects Drai at C to start, and also Nuge at C. So guess we're trying the 3 lines deep deal. Wonder how long that will last.

He also said he expects JJ and JP to be on the same line. Would guess centered by Nuge on the 3rd line I guess. I suppose we should expect Strome to be playing RW to start as well.

So with Slep's injury and recent Oilers history, it will be Yamamoto as 2RW? icon_wink

In all honesty though, if they're thinking that Slep will only be out a couple of weeks, that might not be that far off what they're planning.

But best guess on the starting night top 9 based on the above:

Maroon/McDavid/Strome
Lucic/Drai/Kassian
Jokinen/Nuge/Puljujarvi

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698848 is a reply to message #698847 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 13:03

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 11:57

So with Slep's injury and recent Oilers history, it will be Yamamoto as 2RW? icon_wink

In all honesty though, if they're thinking that Slep will only be out a couple of weeks, that might not be that far off what they're planning.

But best guess on the starting night top 9 based on the above:

Maroon/McDavid/Strome
Lucic/Drai/Kassian
Jokinen/Nuge/Puljujarvi

What about Caggulia? He's not a right shot but he played a bit on RW with McDavid in the playoffs and did just fine. I saw it written where Caggulia was in the spot you have Kassian.

If Puljujarvi ends up being on the team either part of the time or full time, I like the idea of Jokinen being tied to him at the hip to have a fellow countryman in his ear every time they sit.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698849 is a reply to message #698848 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 12:30

What about Caggulia? He's not a right shot but he played a bit on RW with McDavid in the playoffs and did just fine. I saw it written where Caggulia was in the spot you have Kassian.

If Puljujarvi ends up being on the team either part of the time or full time, I like the idea of Jokinen being tied to him at the hip to have a fellow countryman in his ear every time they sit.

Yup, Caggiula also a possibility for the 2RW spot. I think McLellan will like a more veteran player there to start the season though.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698858 is a reply to message #698849 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

It is so nice to have actual NHL players as options. We would all love another RW but honestly this year is the most competition I can remember in a long time.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698860 is a reply to message #698858 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I don't think the Oilers are as hard up on RW as some people think. What the Oilers have right now is a few unknowns on RW. But when you have as much money as the Oilers have tied up in 2 centers, you need some cheaper unknown guys to step up. If you look at Pens, they have lots of money tied up in 2 elite centers, they have one high end known winger but have counted on a lot of cheap, unknown guys. It wasn't long ago that no one knew much about Sheary, or Guentzel. So the Oilers are going to need guys like a Caggulia, a Slep to step up because they aren't going to be able to have a ton of "known" guys.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698877 is a reply to message #698860 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 08:08

I don't think the Oilers are as hard up on RW as some people think. What the Oilers have right now is a few unknowns on RW. But when you have as much money as the Oilers have tied up in 2 centers, you need some cheaper unknown guys to step up. If you look at Pens, they have lots of money tied up in 2 elite centers, they have one high end known winger but have counted on a lot of cheap, unknown guys. It wasn't long ago that no one knew much about Sheary, or Guentzel. So the Oilers are going to need guys like a Caggulia, a Slep to step up because they aren't going to be able to have a ton of "known" guys.

With the team's salary structure the way it is on the team, absolutely right, lesser known talent will get more prominent roles. Instead of the pre-cap era of the Oilers top talent eventually being traded for parts, what we're going to see is like Chicago, where cap constraints force turnover outside the core when players play their way out of their pay scale and become unaffordable.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698864 is a reply to message #698849 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Would still love to see them try RNH on 97's wing. Imagine if he would find his rookie form playing with 97! Would be insane.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698867 is a reply to message #698864 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 09:52

Would still love to see them try RNH on 97's wing. Imagine if he would find his rookie form playing with 97! Would be insane.

I think the team is looking for more of a shooter on the RW with McDavid than another playmaker like RNH. Assuming Maroon continues to fill the big guy going to the net role it would be ideal to find a sniper on that right side.
I wouldnt be surprised to see RNH get a shot at some point if A- Drai shows he can carry a line as the 2C and Strome doesnt work out. I am not saying Strome wont but it seems he will get the first chance

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698870 is a reply to message #698867 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 10:36

I think the team is looking for more of a shooter on the RW with McDavid than another playmaker like RNH. Assuming Maroon continues to fill the big guy going to the net role it would be ideal to find a sniper on that right side.
I wouldnt be surprised to see RNH get a shot at some point if A- Drai shows he can carry a line as the 2C and Strome doesnt work out. I am not saying Strome wont but it seems he will get the first chance

I really thought the best part of Nuge's game last year was his willingness to shoot. And he has a decent shot. He probably has a better shot than Strome, although the handedness may give Strome an advantage.

I think it's kind of a shame that we might bury Nuge on a 3rd line, giving him 15 mins a night. Maybe he can take advantage of some weaker competition and light it up, having JJ and JP as wingers could help a lot in that situation too. But, if he's just not getting enough ice time to get his game going, it's likely going to result in us moving him for very little in return next summer.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698871 is a reply to message #698870 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 10:49

I really thought the best part of Nuge's game last year was his willingness to shoot. And he has a decent shot. He probably has a better shot than Strome, although the handedness may give Strome an advantage.

I think it's kind of a shame that we might bury Nuge on a 3rd line, giving him 15 mins a night. Maybe he can take advantage of some weaker competition and light it up, having JJ and JP as wingers could help a lot in that situation too. But, if he's just not getting enough ice time to get his game going, it's likely going to result in us moving him for very little in return next summer.

Question. What do you feel the goal of the team should be for itself and when it comes to Nuge this season?
Ice the best lineup or prop Nuge up in the hopes he "gets his game going"?

I ask this because over the last few months, there has been a lot of discussion in here, on the radio talk shows and in the media about playing Nuge on the wing with the argument being not so much about it being the best line up option for the team but the best option for Nuge the individual.

You are right, if the goal is to get Nuge going then putting him on the 3rd line as a center probably limits him and his opportunities a little bit. He won't get as much ice time and he won't be playing with the premium players. However, if the lines stay the way they are to start and you have McDavid, Leon and Nuge as your 1, 2, 3 centers, that to me on paper looks like a very formidable top 9 when you have that much strength down the middle.

I would think that while as a organization you of course want Nuge to succeed and will try as best as you can to get him too do that but at the same time, you can't do that by sacrificing what is best for the team. I have maintained that I am becoming not so sure that Nuge is suited for center. So in saying that, if over the course of the season, it appears that maybe Nuge is best suited for the wing, then sure put him on the wing. But the ultimate goal for the team should be to win. So any move should be done in the best interest of the team, not the individual. So right now on paper, Nuge is the 3rd best center on the team by a lot.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 September 2017 11:10]

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698873 is a reply to message #698871 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 14:04

Question. What do you feel the goal of the team should be for itself and when it comes to Nuge this season?

I ask this because over the last few months, there has been a lot of discussion in here, on the radio talk shows and in the media about playing Nuge on the wing with the argument being not so much about it being the best line up option for the team but the best option for Nuge the individual.

You are right, if the goal is to get Nuge going then putting him on the 3rd line as a center probably limits him and his opportunities a little bit. He won't get as much ice time and he won't be playing with the premium players. However, if the lines stay the way they are to start and you have McDavid, Leon and Nuge as your 1, 2, 3 centers, that to me on paper looks like a very formidable top 9 when you have that much strength down the middle.

I would think that while as a organization you of course want Nuge to succeed and will try as best as you can to get him too do that but at the same time, you can't do that by sacrificing what is best for the team. I have maintained that I am becoming not so sure that Nuge is suited for center. So in saying that, if over the course of the season, it appears that maybe Nuge is best suited for the wing, then sure put him on the wing. But the ultimate goal for the team should be to win. So any move should be done in the best interest of the team, not the individual. So right now on paper, Nuge is the 3rd best center on the team by a lot.

IMO, RNH is wasted as a 3C. As for the comment about a shooter for 97, I happen to think RNH has one of the best releases on the team. No 100MPH bomb to be sure, but when he's on, he's absolutely elite getting the puck off his stick.

Should we prop up RNH or ice the best lineup? For me, the 2 go hand in hand. I believe if he were to be relieved of some of his defensive responsibilities as a C, it would give him free rein (or at least "freer") do focus on offense. WHAT IF it would work out? RNH as a RW1 >>> 3C. Plus he could still fill in as a C in a pinch.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698875 is a reply to message #698873 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 11:47

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 14:04

IMO, RNH is wasted as a 3C. As for the comment about a shooter for 97, I happen to think RNH has one of the best releases on the team. No 100MPH bomb to be sure, but when he's on, he's absolutely elite getting the puck off his stick.

Should we prop up RNH or ice the best lineup? For me, the 2 go hand in hand. I believe if he were to be relieved of some of his defensive responsibilities as a C, it would give him free rein (or at least "freer") do focus on offense. WHAT IF it would work out? RNH as a RW1 >>> 3C. Plus he could still fill in as a C in a pinch.

I disagree on his shot (but really dont know much about Strome's). I dont think it is a terrible shot but dont see him as the shooter that McDavid could really use over there. Ideally JP becomes that guy but most agree that isnt yet.

Him being wasted as a 3C is a good point. I think if the experiment of the two fins and RNH clicks then they 2/3 lines could be interchangeable and likely close in ice time. If the matchup dictates the heavier Drai line or a quicker RNH line then hopefully the coaches can deploy them as such.

All of that said I am not against RNH being tested on McDavid's wing in any way. At this point nobody but Drai has really clicked there so for the first 20 or so games I can see a few guys getting a 5 game trial over there.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698876 is a reply to message #698871 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 11:04

Since McLellan seemed to have no issue trying to prop up Lucic and Ebs with McDavid for half last season and we still did OK in the end, I don't see a problem with trying to encourage Nuge to take some offensive risk on McDavid's wing. I think it could actually be good for Nuge, for him to not worry about playing C for a bit and try to find his offensive game again.

I also don't think there is a sure answer to what is best for the team on the right side. Strome is a C as well, and he has struggled for some time. It may actually be best for the team for him to get sheltered him as a 3rd line C, maybe even swapping C responsibility with JJ, and learn McLellan's system.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698880 is a reply to message #698876 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 12:10

Since McLellan seemed to have no issue trying to prop up Lucic and Ebs with McDavid for half last season and we still did OK in the end, I don't see a problem with trying to encourage Nuge to take some offensive risk on McDavid's wing. I think it could actually be good for Nuge, for him to not worry about playing C for a bit and try to find his offensive game again.

I also don't think there is a sure answer to what is best for the team on the right side. Strome is a C as well, and he has struggled for some time. It may actually be best for the team for him to get sheltered him as a 3rd line C, maybe even swapping C responsibility with JJ, and learn McLellan's system.

I don't think these things are mutually exclusive either. I think Nugent-Hopkins being productive helps the Oilers succeed, so put him in a role he can thrive in. He's a better player than Strome, so you don't want a situation where he's playing less even strength minutes simply because he's a center.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698882 is a reply to message #698876 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

McDavid made Letestu, a right shot look like one of the best PP guys in the league. All Letestu had to do which shockingly Eberle couldn't figure out is stand in a spot, wait for a McDavid pass and shoot quickly and it got him 11 regular season PP goals and 4 playoff PP goals. So I would think it's a good idea to have a right shot on McDavid's wing in Strome to do something similar.

If Strome can't figure it out with McDavid, then by all means swap him out for Nuge. But in the beginning, with Sekera out, in my opinion, you want to have as strong a forward group as you can get. So I would be icing my strongest centers for my top 3 lines. I don't know a ton about Strome but I would assume, Nuge as a center would be rated higher.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698883 is a reply to message #698882 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 14:02

McDavid made Letestu, a right shot look like one of the best PP guys in the league. All Letestu had to do which shockingly Eberle couldn't figure out is stand in a spot, wait for a McDavid pass and shoot quickly and it got him 11 regular season PP goals and 4 playoff PP goals. So I would think it's a good idea to have a right shot on McDavid's wing in Strome to do something similar.

If Strome can't figure it out with McDavid, then by all means swap him out for Nuge. But in the beginning, with Sekera out, in my opinion, you want to have as strong a forward group as you can get. So I would be icing my strongest centers for my top 3 lines. I don't know a ton about Strome but I would assume, Nuge as a center would be rated higher.

That's Letestu on the left side though on the PP. I doubt Letestu would do anything with McDavid playing RW 5v5. Not sure if McLellan is a fan of guys playing their off-wing actually so Strome likely would never play LW. Drai was actually the guy able to take some 1-timers on the right side of the ice on rushes with McDavid, Nuge would be in the same position, if McLellan was open to playing him on RW. Nuge should get the vote of confidence from McLellan on being able enough defensively to handle being on his off wing.

I'm kind of sceptical about Strome's shot at this point. The guy barely has any highlights in his NHL career so for of really sniping anything. Nuge has 111% more career goals than Strome in 53% more games (I'm conveniently ignoring ice time icon_smile, but also ignoring competition. Nuge definitely has been palying against better players since the start of his career)

[Updated on: Tue, 12 September 2017 14:15]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698923 is a reply to message #698883 ]
Thu, 14 September 2017 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Here is the Oilers 2017 Training Camp roster:

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/291051268/bi nary-file/file.pdf

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698924 is a reply to message #698923 ]
Thu, 14 September 2017 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....some of the young players invited to Penticton and available for the NAIT/MacEwan game have been released:

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-reduce-camp-r oster/c-291048470

..."The Edmonton Oilers have reduced their training camp roster by 12 today, the following players have been released from their amateur tryouts:

Lane Bauer
Luke Coleman
Trey Fix-Wolansky
Austin Glover
Sahvan Khaira
Davis Koch
Steven Owre
Grayson Pawlenchuk
Brandon Saigeon
Liam Schioler
Austin Strand
Ethan Szypula"....

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698878 is a reply to message #698870 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I think that the team would benefit from that combination, plus given that Nuge will almost certainly be traded off the roster, I would think that the inevitable boost in production would be a positive. I can't help but think that Nuge's contract is untenable if he's a 3rd line center, but less so as at least a part time winger in the top 6 and on the PP. I'd love to see him on 97's wing.

Re: Starting Lineups for 2017-2018 Season [message #698926 is a reply to message #698878 ]
Thu, 14 September 2017 09:51 Go to previous message

2 Cups

When it comes to Nuge on the team, as soon as the Oilers lucked out and got McDavid, his stock and position on the team dropped. Before McDavid, Nuge got first unit PP time, Nuge was getting over 20 mins a night, Nuge was getting all the premium offensive time, Nuge was the guy double shifting, Nuge was the guy jumping over the boards for an extra attacker. That job is McDavid's now. Without McDavid, the Oilers would still have Leon but Nuge would at worst be the Oilers #2 center. Which if he plays center in the NHL, that's his high mark. But with McDavid, Nuge is the 3rd best center on the team. That's not a knock, that's reality.

So any team that is trading for him is not trading for a 6 mill 3rd line center, they are trading for a top 6 player who based on opportunity might not be able to get top 6 mins on the Oilers because of who they have. Take out McDavid and put Nuge in his spot even just on the PP, he's getting over 50 pts easily.

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5]  
Previous Topic:How many points does Drai need to earn 8.5M?
Next Topic:Chris Neil
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca