This day on September 20
None

Happy Birthday To: dk19, mabfan, nemorrison, oilfan94, hackm, oilchamp_34, kev9in, SuperOilerFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » McDavid and Drai ExtensionsPages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698051 is a reply to message #698050 ]
Fri, 28 July 2017 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 28 July 2017 15:22

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 28 July 2017 15:09

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 28 July 2017 15:04

The only thing about the Johansen contract is his contract except for 1 season, is ALL UFA years. I believe most players see their UFA years as when they cash in so that would play a part in his cap hit being 8 mill. For Leon, if he signed an 8 yr deal, he would only be giving up I think 3 UFA years. So that would play a part in his cap hit. Plus Johansen is a lot more proven than Leon is. So I would have to think that 8 would be the high end for Leon. There are just so many comparable contracts out there that says to me he shouldn't get more than 8.

If you make that argument with Drai though, does he come back and just say, "OK, then let's do a 2-3 year bridge".

Johansen had a couple underwhelming seasons during his bridge compared to his ELC years, and he still gets 8x8. If Drai has a couple more 70+ point seasons, he's probably looking at 10+ in a couple years on an 8 year deal, no?

I was on board with a bridge before, but this Johansen deal gives me pause. The next couple years may be full of 8-11M AAV deals, maybe Drai's case super easy to make for a huge payday after a bridge.

I am just listening to Gregor and Struds talk about the exact same thing. Struds made the point that if you are a 21 yr old and a team comes to you with a long term deal worth between 7-8 mill per season, it is really hard to turn that down. You can "bet" on yourself which might workout but it can also back fire. I am a huge Leon fan, I think he will be a 70+ pt center BUT how much of his points where playing with McDavid? Hard to say. He could have a couple more 70+ pt seasons but he could get injured or have a few 60 pts seasons. You just never know.

Yeah, lots of competing factors when you weigh a bridge vs just locking a guy up long term now.

One that I do worry about though that may not have come into play before is the dynamic shifting to money being given out more in a top heavy way. Almost like an NBA way. A shift that McDavid might have started where your top end guys get waaaay more than the lower tiers. There could be a big wave of massive paydays that pull the market up for top line players, and we could end up paying Drai way more than we could have today if we go the bridge route.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698052 is a reply to message #698051 ]
Fri, 28 July 2017 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 28 July 2017 15:28

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 28 July 2017 15:22

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 28 July 2017 15:09

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 28 July 2017 15:04

The only thing about the Johansen contract is his contract except for 1 season, is ALL UFA years. I believe most players see their UFA years as when they cash in so that would play a part in his cap hit being 8 mill. For Leon, if he signed an 8 yr deal, he would only be giving up I think 3 UFA years. So that would play a part in his cap hit. Plus Johansen is a lot more proven than Leon is. So I would have to think that 8 would be the high end for Leon. There are just so many comparable contracts out there that says to me he shouldn't get more than 8.

If you make that argument with Drai though, does he come back and just say, "OK, then let's do a 2-3 year bridge".

Johansen had a couple underwhelming seasons during his bridge compared to his ELC years, and he still gets 8x8. If Drai has a couple more 70+ point seasons, he's probably looking at 10+ in a couple years on an 8 year deal, no?

I was on board with a bridge before, but this Johansen deal gives me pause. The next couple years may be full of 8-11M AAV deals, maybe Drai's case super easy to make for a huge payday after a bridge.

I am just listening to Gregor and Struds talk about the exact same thing. Struds made the point that if you are a 21 yr old and a team comes to you with a long term deal worth between 7-8 mill per season, it is really hard to turn that down. You can "bet" on yourself which might workout but it can also back fire. I am a huge Leon fan, I think he will be a 70+ pt center BUT how much of his points where playing with McDavid? Hard to say. He could have a couple more 70+ pt seasons but he could get injured or have a few 60 pts seasons. You just never know.

Yeah, lots of competing factors when you weigh a bridge vs just locking a guy up long term now.

One that I do worry about though that may not have come into play before is the dynamic shifting to money being given out more in a top heavy way. Almost like an NBA way. A shift that McDavid might have started where your top end guys get waaaay more than the lower tiers. There could be a big wave of massive paydays that pull the market up for top line players, and we could end up paying Drai way more than we could have today if we go the bridge route.

I agree. That is why if I am the Oilers I try my best to lock him up long term. Get your 2 top centers locked up, then fill in around them. If you have to sacrifice someone else, at least you got your 2 main centers looked after.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698311 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Tue, 15 August 2017 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

I think Draisaitl will be getting a bridge deal. He's holding out too long that lets me think his ask is in the 9+ range for the full 8 term. Oilers will balk and probably give him 6 for 4.

The questions is not IF he signs, the question is for how long and how much.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698313 is a reply to message #698311 ]
Tue, 15 August 2017 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 15 August 2017 14:14

I think Draisaitl will be getting a bridge deal. He's holding out too long that lets me think his ask is in the 9+ range for the full 8 term. Oilers will balk and probably give him 6 for 4.

The questions is not IF he signs, the question is for how long and how much.

Who knows. Gaudreau signed a 6-year deal after his hold-out last year. There's lots of precedents both ways on long negotiations. Both sides may very well be workinig on both options at the same time, with the bridge deal as the fall-back position if they can't reach an agreement on a long-term deal by a certain time.

At this point, I'd say it's likely summer vacations are playing a role in the delay and we won't see a lot of progress before somewhere around September 1. I would still not be surprised at all if Draisaitl isn't signed until deep in to training camp.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698318 is a reply to message #698313 ]
Tue, 15 August 2017 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think Drai will be signed late August or right before the start of camp. I am sure the Oilers and Drai want a long term deal but its the dollars. He sees himself as a top 10 scorer so over a long term deal he wants to be paid like that. So that is 9 or 10 mill but that was one season playing with McDavid. If you are the Oilers, you have 1 season of evidence where he played with McDavid, how much was his stats bumped up by McDavid? Apparently he wasn't close to being as good without him in the regular season though he turned it on in the playoffs.

I don't see him missing camp. He and McDavid are buddies. He was drafted by the Oilers, they have the new arena, the whole area around the arena, they are just coming off the high of the playoffs and Oilers nation being able to show the players what happens to the City when they are good. They are a legit team on the rise, Vegas rightly or wrongly has them with the second best odds to win the cup. So I just don't see Leon wanting to miss out on that. So if he wants to bet on himself, sign a 2-3 yr deal at 6 mill. Lights it up then cash. It would be the best for him to play center and light it up to make 10. If he plays wing with McDavid, sorry but wingers make less than centers.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698320 is a reply to message #685942 ]
Tue, 15 August 2017 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

I would hate a Horcoff scenario to play out. We're potentially looking at $10 mil./yr. For a guy that had 1 great season. I hate that we burned a year of his elc. The sampling of Leon in the NHL still creates an uneasy feeling as if he's a big gamble in that money ballpark.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 August 2017 16:26]

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698337 is a reply to message #698320 ]
Wed, 16 August 2017 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The one thing I don't understand with the Leon contract and why it's not done already is there are SOOO many current contracts both signed last year and this year that should set the bar.

Johansen just signed 8 x 8. He's slightly older and been in the league longer but his contract eats up mostly UFA years so that automatically makes the cap hit higher. Johansen is a #1 center. Did Leon score more last year? Yes but on the wing with McDavid.

Kuznetsov signed this year 8 x 7.8. Again he's slightly older so it eats up more UFA years than a contract the same length for Leon. If you go look at his points over the last 2 seasons, which is what Leon would be counting, the point totals are almost the exactly the same AND Kuznetsov played all center while Leon played wing.

Then you go last season. Gaudreau 6 x 6.75 playing wing. Monahan 7 yrs x 6.375 playing all center. Schiefele 8 x 6.125. Schiefele is coming off an 82 pt season. Schiefele is probably underpaid already. If the Jets called today and said trade us Leon for Schiefele straight up, I would do it. I LOVE Leon but Schiefele is really, really good, played all center AND is a right shot.

So I understand that you as an agent want to get as much as you can for your client. So your initial ask will be high but after that, how can you argue these contracts and say Leon is better and worth way more? Like I said, Johansen's contract eats up almost all UFA yrs, then you have Kuznetsov at 7.8 that eats up a lot of UFA yrs. So there is the absolute high end. So if Leon came in at 7-8 fine, I can live with it. But the Schiefele contract is the killer for Leon. Schiefele is one hell of a player, coming off an 82 pt season. I'm sorry as much as I love Leon which I do he's my 1B player behind McDavid. If they give Leon 8, that is almost 2 mill more than Schiefele and Leon is not worth anymore than that.

If you say "Well McDavid got 12.25". Well great. McDavid scores more than 1 pt per game. McDavid got 100 pts, 23 more than Leon. Leon has his best season on McDavid's WING, McDavid lead the Oilers to the playoffs for the first time in a decade. McDavid is your captain. McDavid won every trophy a player in his position can win. Art Ross, Hart and Lindsey. Each one of those trophies was probably worth 1 mill in salary. Then you give him a bump for being the captain and face of the franchise. That is why he's worth 4 + mill more.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698342 is a reply to message #698337 ]
Wed, 16 August 2017 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Just announced. 8 yrs, 8.5 mill per for Leon. I like the term. I think the dollars are a bit high as I pointed out above but if he keeps going, it might be OK. At least it's done.

Re: McDavid and Drai Extensions [message #698343 is a reply to message #698342 ]
Wed, 16 August 2017 12:07 Go to previous message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 16 August 2017 11:03

Just announced. 8 yrs, 8.5 mill per for Leon. I like the term. I think the dollars are a bit high as I pointed out above but if he keeps going, it might be OK. At least it's done.

That's a bit above the max of what I would have wanted to pay him. If it took them this long to settle at $8.5M, what was he asking for originally?

Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6]  
Previous Topic:Total AAV Cost of McDavid+Drai...
Next Topic:Odds of 2018 Stanley Cup
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca