Oilers » Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697643]
Wed, 12 July 2017 13:10 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

You can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Elliotte Friedman‏ @FriedgeHNIC
EDM settles arb case with Joey LaLeggia. One year, two-way...$700K at NHL level.

Fire Chia!

I kid.

No one talking about his AHL salary though. This is actually a decrease from his last contract in terms of the NHL salary. Have to assume the Oilers gave him a little bump in AHL salary? Not sure what the limits are, but Ty Rattie will be making 225k in the minors next season, so there was definitely room for LaLeggia to improve over his 70k last year.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 July 2017 13:14]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697644 is a reply to message #697643 ]
Wed, 12 July 2017 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

I can't even believe he filed for arbitration. What leverage does he think he has? He was a dman who the Oilers saw play and said. "We think you need to stop being a dman and play forward.' Not exactly a compelling argument I would think.

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697645 is a reply to message #697644 ]
Wed, 12 July 2017 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 13:18

I can't even believe he filed for arbitration. What leverage does he think he has? He was a dman who the Oilers saw play and said. "We think you need to stop being a dman and play forward.' Not exactly a compelling argument I would think.

Doubt he filed with any ill will. The Oilers were actually obligated to give him a qualifying offer of $874,125, which they did send him. He took 175k less than that. In the end he likely took a drop in potential NHL salary in exchange for a bump in AHL salary. Arbitration was likely done to just get the ball rolling and negotiations done ASAP so he's not waiting all summer for Chia to get to him, which is well within his rights to do.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 July 2017 13:25]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697646 is a reply to message #697645 ]
Wed, 12 July 2017 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 13:22

Doubt he filed with any ill will. The Oilers were actually obligated to give him a qualifying offer of $874,125, which they did send him. He took 175k less than that. In the end he likely took a drop in potential NHL salary in exchange for a bump in AHL salary. Arbitration was likely done to just get the ball rolling and negotiations done ASAP so he's not waiting all summer for Chia to get to him, which is well within his rights to do.

Exactly, this is the player version of a team qualifying an RFA. It isnt like they are expecting Draisaitl to play for the qualifying offer amount.

Not everything has to be assumed to be some kind of angry stand off.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697736 is a reply to message #697646 ]
Fri, 14 July 2017 17:16 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 13:27

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 13:22

Exactly, this is the player version of a team qualifying an RFA. It isnt like they are expecting Draisaitl to play for the qualifying offer amount.

Not everything has to be assumed to be some kind of angry stand off.

Maybe the Laleggia camp strongly suspected that Chiarelli is desperate to get off to the lake, and knew that he wouldn't want to spend the latter half of July preparing an arbitration case on some player he barely knows and probably wouldn't even recognize at the hearing. Brilliant move, because he just gives in early in order to avoid the hassle!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Joey LaLeggia signs before arbitration hearing [message #697733 is a reply to message #697643 ]
Fri, 14 July 2017 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

It's nice when a team and player avoid arbitration.

I have a feeling he will see the NHL roster this season.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Previous Topic:Simpson Re-signs
Next Topic:Ference Retires
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca