This day on September 22
None

Happy Birthday To: Gall, oilerfan22

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Stauffer -'experience & character' signing?Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697512 is a reply to message #697511 ]
Sat, 08 July 2017 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sat, 08 July 2017 13:24

Markov wants a 2 year deal at $6m per according to the Habs guy on 1260 the other day. Habs only willing to offer 1 year.

Markov is still playing at a very high level, so I think he ask is pretty reasonable and he could get pretty close to it from a desperate team.

Campbell is likey a way cheaper option although his game has fallen off more than Markov's.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697522 is a reply to message #697512 ]
Mon, 10 July 2017 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 08 July 2017 13:27

Markov wants a 2 year deal at $6m per according to the Habs guy on 1260 the other day. Habs only willing to offer 1 year.

Markov is still playing at a very high level, so I think he ask is pretty reasonable and he could get pretty close to it from a desperate team.

Campbell is likey a way cheaper option although his game has fallen off more than Markov's.

I have heard some Montreal guys doing interviews on Edmonton stations the last few weeks and they all said Markov is on the decline. Plus he is 38, going to be 39 in Dec. 6 mill on a 2 year deal for a soon to be 39 yr old is pretty steep.

I wouldn't touch either of them.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697524 is a reply to message #697522 ]
Mon, 10 July 2017 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 July 2017 08:30

I have heard some Montreal guys doing interviews on Edmonton stations the last few weeks and they all said Markov is on the decline. Plus he is 38, going to be 39 in Dec. 6 mill on a 2 year deal for a soon to be 39 yr old is pretty steep.

Is he on the decline? For sure he is to some degree just because of age, but is he really declining enough to not still contribute at a high leve?

His 5v5 points/60 would put him tops on the Oilers by 0.35 P/60 (1.27 vs 0.92 by Sek). Petry and Weber, his 2 most common partners had a better Corsi % with him than without. Petry's goals for % 5v5 jumps 15% (45% to 60%) with Markov. Montreal's GA/60 with Price in net was 0.98/60 with Markov and 2.10/60 without him. Still played 22 mins/game.

Sounds like a pretty darn useful 2nd pairing guy to me.

Wonder if Montreal media are trying to soften the blow and prepare themselves for losing yet another important piece of their D group. Their team is turning into such a disaster.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 July 2017 09:23]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697526 is a reply to message #697524 ]
Mon, 10 July 2017 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 10 July 2017 09:19

Is he on the decline? For sure he is to some degree just because of age, but is he really declining enough to not still contribute at a high leve?

His 5v5 points/60 would put him tops on the Oilers by 0.35 P/60 (1.27 vs 0.92 by Sek). Petry and Weber, his 2 most common partners had a better Corsi % with him than without. Petry's goals for % 5v5 jumps 15% (45% to 60%) with Markov. Montreal's GA/60 with Price in net was 0.98/60 with Markov and 2.10/60 without him. Still played 22 mins/game.

Wonder if Montreal media are trying to soften the blow and prepare themselves for losing yet another important piece of their D group. Their team is turning into such a disaster.

I am not saying he is junk and can't play anymore. I am sure he can help a team but the reality is at 39 in Dec, he is not the player he once was and the chances of a big time drop off at his age are much more likely than a big year. IF his ask is indeed 2 yrs at 6 mill, no way am I giving him a 2 yr deal and at 6 mill to a 39 yr old. Most guys don't play into their 39th year so it's a credit to him. But as a team, I wouldn't give him anymore than a yr and it would start with no more than a 4.

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697528 is a reply to message #697526 ]
Mon, 10 July 2017 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 July 2017 09:39

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 10 July 2017 09:19

I am not saying he is junk and can't play anymore. I am sure he can help a team but the reality is at 39 in Dec, he is not the player he once was and the chances of a big time drop off at his age are much more likely than a big year. IF his ask is indeed 2 yrs at 6 mill, no way am I giving him a 2 yr deal and at 6 mill to a 39 yr old. Most guys don't play into their 39th year so it's a credit to him. But as a team, I wouldn't give him anymore than a yr and it would start with no more than a 4.

I'm doubting he gets 2 years AND 6M. Maybe a team tosses him 1 year at 6. Or 2 years around 4. Some guys are freaks of nature, like Jagr. I think Markov will still be a good NHLer for the next 2 years, just my opinion.

That said, I don't think he's wrong to ask for 2x6M from Montreal. Montreal should have to pay extra for someone to stick around on their impending disaster of a team.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Stauffer -'experience & character' signing? [message #697530 is a reply to message #697528 ]
Mon, 10 July 2017 10:40 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 10 July 2017 10:05

I'm doubting he gets 2 years AND 6M. Maybe a team tosses him 1 year at 6. Or 2 years around 4. Some guys are freaks of nature, like Jagr. I think Markov will still be a good NHLer for the next 2 years, just my opinion.

That said, I don't think he's wrong to ask for 2x6M from Montreal. Montreal should have to pay extra for someone to stick around on their impending disaster of a team.

Yeah, I wouldn't give him that money or term, but I would sure be asking for it if I was his agent. And if you're Montreal, it probably is a better way to spend your money than that ugly Alzner contract...even if the second year is a tire fire.

I thought Markov was done when they started replacing his ligaments with pieces out of cadavers, but he's been really good. I think he would be a great one-year ad...even if he cost a pretty penny.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Hurricanes "Close to" being sold for $500 million
Next Topic:Kovalchuk to stay in KHL for one more year
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca