F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690826]
Tue, 11 April 2017 15:54 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

I can't believe there is not a thread yet.

I read a tweet this afternoon that Thornton himself says he's day to day for this upcoming series. If you can't even say you are good to go 28 hours before puck drop, how healthy are you going to be? Thornton got a knee injury. I am sure he's heavily braced. When your leg buckles as many times as it did the night of the injury, I don't think it's a minor bruise. For a guy that is already really slow, how effective can he be being at 75% if he is lucky. Plus you don't get healthier by playing and it's not like its a secret what he hurt. How many wacks or how many times is an Oiler player going to lean on that knee in a scrum if he eventually plays.

Couture has been out for most of March. He lost a bunch of teeth, his jaw is all messed up. He apparently needs offseason mouth surgery. So he's barely skated for most of March. At this level, it doesn't take much for a player to lose some conditioning. Then you factor in he hasn't been able to eat normally because of his mouth. So he's probably not as strong as he should be because his eating is off. Plus he's not healed. He's going to get bumped and jostled around. So you have a guy who hasn;t played for weeks, barely skated, who will be down a bit on conditioning and probably strength and he will most likely have to go up against the fasted, most skilled player in the league who's rolling in McDavid because no chance in hell you want a Thornton line out there.

If those 2 aren't going well, I don't see how San Jose can win, let alone keep it close. The last game In San Jose which was a battle for second wasn't close without those 2.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690827 is a reply to message #690826 ]
Tue, 11 April 2017 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 April 2017 15:54

I can't believe there is not a thread yet.

I read a tweet this afternoon that Thornton himself says he's day to day for this upcoming series. If you can't even say you are good to go 28 hours before puck drop, how healthy are you going to be? Thornton got a knee injury. I am sure he's heavily braced. When your leg buckles as many times as it did the night of the injury, I don't think it's a minor bruise. For a guy that is already really slow, how effective can he be being at 75% if he is lucky. Plus you don't get healthier by playing and it's not like its a secret what he hurt. How many wacks or how many times is an Oiler player going to lean on that knee in a scrum if he eventually plays.

Couture has been out for most of March. He lost a bunch of teeth, his jaw is all messed up. He apparently needs offseason mouth surgery. So he's barely skated for most of March. At this level, it doesn't take much for a player to lose some conditioning. Then you factor in he hasn't been able to eat normally because of his mouth. So he's probably not as strong as he should be because his eating is off. Plus he's not healed. He's going to get bumped and jostled around. So you have a guy who hasn;t played for weeks, barely skated, who will be down a bit on conditioning and probably strength and he will most likely have to go up against the fasted, most skilled player in the league who's rolling in McDavid because no chance in hell you want a Thornton line out there.

If those 2 aren't going well, I don't see how San Jose can win, let alone keep it close. The last game In San Jose which was a battle for second wasn't close without those 2.

We really should be able to take these guys, Thornton/Couture or not. All depends on our youngins being able to not get caught up in the moment and the pressure of their first playoffs. Damn hard to do. I think McDavid will rise above it pretty easily. Drai, Nuge, Ebs, Klef, we need those guys to do it too.

Never know with these old vet teams too. They know how to flip the switch and play with that extra intensity in the playoffs. Sharks have been sucking at the end of the regular season, but not sure you can read too much into that.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 April 2017 16:33]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690829 is a reply to message #690827 ]
Tue, 11 April 2017 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

I don't think you can underestimate the playoff experience advantage with San Jose though. We have an inexperienced club for the most part, but hopefully our young legs help, but really, we need secondary scoring here. Hopefully we continue what we were doing the last couple weeks.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690831 is a reply to message #690829 ]
Tue, 11 April 2017 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I'm more inclined to be concerned about Cambot to be honest. If they get after him early, all the games in his legs this winter may just come back to haunt him, which may then effect the rest of the team. If we win early then we should be OK.

Looch is going to play a huge role in the room, keeping people on the ground in this first round. Once we've got past the first few games, I think we'll be fine the experience thing will be negated.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690839 is a reply to message #690831 ]
Tue, 11 April 2017 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

I'm pretty confident heading into the playoffs but it's kind of strange having that backed up by the media. Oilers one of two teams picked unanimously to win the first round on TSN, McDavid taken 1st overall in the fantasy draft, weird times.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690854 is a reply to message #690839 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think the whole "experience" thing doesn't apply.

For Talbot. If you watch how he plays, he's a controlled goalie. A good guy to listen to is Kevin Woodley, the goalie guy that comes on Gregor's show. That's how he describes him. Sound positionally, cool and calm in the net. His personality is confident but cool and calm. I just don't see him all of a sudden falling apart in the playoffs.

For the forwards. The engine is McDavid. He's the best player in the world. He's been interviewed, profiled and followed around as being "the next one" since he was a kid. I just don't see him as being the type that would go "OMG" and freeze in the spot light. He knows how good he is, he wants the spot light and he wants to show the world what he can do. I think Draisaitl given his personality will be the same. They have been in playoff mode for more than a month as they fought for position and fought for 1st/2nd. Since the beginning of March they went 13-5. Since March 13th 12-2.

We know Maroon and Lucic will be fine. Nuge and Eberle, I don't even think they will be "nervous". If this was their first or second year in the league then yes. Eberle has over 500 games, Nuge almost 400 games. I think they will be excited but I think they will be ready for this. They have been waiting a long time to get into the playoff, they will want to perform. Guys who might feel the nerves and show lack of experience. Caggulia and Benning being they are from college. I have heard the Gryba is starting over Benning so it's probably a good thing.

I just don't see it where all the young players are all going to freak out. Rogers is going to explode. There is 11 years of no playoffs to let out. You keep hearing all the young players like McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Eberle talking about the fans. How much energy there is now. How it has been building and building over the last month. How they can feel it and how it helps them. So I think having all these young guys is a blessing because they will ride the wave.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 April 2017 08:46]

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690856 is a reply to message #690854 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

I'm blown away by the love they are getting from the media, especially the TSN guys. One of only 2 unanimous picks to move forward. Even Jeff O'Neill would have picked McDavid 1st overall!

This is all so strange. Seriously - last time this happened there were no iPhones, twitter, or Facebook (well not really anyway).

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690859 is a reply to message #690856 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 08:50

I'm blown away by the love they are getting from the media, especially the TSN guys. One of only 2 unanimous picks to move forward. Even Jeff O'Neill would have picked McDavid 1st overall!

This is all so strange. Seriously - last time this happened there were no iPhones, twitter, or Facebook (well not really anyway).

If the Sharks were healthy then I think it would be more of an even split because of the "experience" factor but they aren't. Couture hasn't played in a month, he's not healed, has to wear a full cage and if you hit him hard enough, might spit out a couple more teeth. Thornton has barely skated in almost 2 weeks, sounds like he won't start and if he gets on the ice, no way he moves well. Those 2 are 1/3 of the Sharks top 6.

The Oilers have no significant injuries.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690862 is a reply to message #690859 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 09:00

Knock on wood

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690864 is a reply to message #690862 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 09:11

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 09:00

Knock on wood

Trust me I did it when I types it and I am doing it again.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690913 is a reply to message #690826 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ah memories:

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690915 is a reply to message #690913 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Holy crap they had some bad goalies and bad players. I am impressed they were able to find the one and only goal a bunch of those guys scored.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690917 is a reply to message #690915 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

What about one of the greatest hockey sequences in hockey history against the Sharks?

Still gives me chills! "Do you believe what you've just seen?!"

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692522 is a reply to message #690917 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308 is currently online jds308

1 Cup

Man Gator was such a mean SOB. Great Oiler.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690914 is a reply to message #690826 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Other memories:

Stoll 1-timers makes me think of Letestu :)

[Updated on: Wed, 12 April 2017 16:00]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690918 is a reply to message #690826 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

To think... Oilers Playoff Hockey, now... in HD.

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690919 is a reply to message #690918 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 16:14

To think... Oilers Playoff Hockey, now... in HD.

Yeah no doubt, these 2006 highlights are such terrible low res quality hahah.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690921 is a reply to message #690919 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ravb1981  is currently offline ravb1981

No Cups

Question to all my fellow Oilfans, we used to do this at the beginning of every season since 2005-2006.... who's going to score the first Oilers playoff game in over a decade?

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690923 is a reply to message #690921 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ravb1981 wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 18:40

Question to all my fellow Oilfans, we used to do this at the beginning of every season since 2005-2006.... who's going to score the first Oilers playoff game in over a decade?

Lucic!

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690926 is a reply to message #690923 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

McDavid. First shift. First shot. First goal.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690928 is a reply to message #690926 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Letestu!

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690930 is a reply to message #690928 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkknight  is currently offline darkknight

No Cups

Yay my first playoffs since 2003!! 14 years! Was travelling the entire 2006 Playoff run and internet was spotty at best in SEA back then. Could barely get updates every couple weeks.

I'll pick the big rig for the first goal!

He shoots, he Sykoras

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690927 is a reply to message #690921 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

ravb1981 wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 18:40

Kassian. And it isn't called back.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #690929 is a reply to message #690921 ]
Wed, 12 April 2017 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

ravb1981 wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 17:40

McDavid, just cause he wills it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692265 is a reply to message #690826 ]
Fri, 21 April 2017 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So, what kind of experiences have the players gone through so far?

1) Crazy game 1, flying out of the gate, hitting everything that moves. Looking like this is gonna be easy. Light up SJ for a couple goals. Then, after the intermission, the wad was completely blown, just hanging on for dear life the rest of the game and lose in OT.

2) Far more balanced effort in game 2, dominated throughout. Had to mentally deal with Jones being in god mode, nothing was going in until we caught the Sharks off guard with a couple SHG's. Still haven't actually had to play from behind yet in the series.

3) First road game in what many say is the toughest building to play in, especially the first 10 or so mins. Very tight checking game, 1-0 win, had to defend the lead most of the night, still haven't had to play from behind at all after 3 games.

4) Huge wake-up call, started liking the smell of our own farts and came out playing loose. Kinda lucky goal 15 seconds in to have us chasing a game for the first time in the series. Had some chances to actually get out of the 1st 2-1 or 2-2, but missed. Wheels completely fall off in the 2nd as the players get sucked into extra stuff with the Sharks and take bad penalties. End up losing by the worst margin in a playoff game in a decade (I think that was the stat). No one really did anything in the game, couldn't even anticipate play well enough to get some hits.

5) After the drubbing, down 3-1 late in the 2nd. Claw our way back into the game and completely dominate the OT for the win.

Some wild ups and down in this series. SJ is really a great opponent for the Oilers to play in their first series. They are so solid defensively, and for the most part play their game consistently. Some teams, like Washington, fall into that trap thinking they can just trade chances all night and they'll come out ahead because they think they're so good. But, the Sharks haven't done that at all, they are all in with their structure and sticking to their game plan. And they have one of the best shutdown D pairs in the league, it's a huge test for McDavid and the rest of the group. McDavid hasn't even managed to break out yet at even strength. I guess Crosby didn't do much either against SJ last finals, 4 assists in 6 games. Game 6 would be a great time for it to happen :)

[Updated on: Fri, 21 April 2017 10:48]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692439 is a reply to message #690826 ]
Sun, 23 April 2017 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Think we have had a pretty good display now of the transformation this team has gone through so far. McLellan wants his team to buy in and play a certain way. Some guys have shown a 100% willingness to play a responsible game and sacrifice personal success for team success. Nuge and Ebs are without a doubt the greatest examples of this. Nuge was an absolute monster in this series. How he played in that OT in game 5 was probably the best I've ever seen him look. He had great moments in his 1st season, but that was just pure offensive attacking of a young guy that had no idea yet what it really took to consistently win in the NHL. Nuge was robbed 3 or 4 times in this series and did not stop pushing. All the same for Ebs, to a slightly lesser degree. Nuge does need to practice those faceoffs more though. I bet he works like heck on that this summer.

SJ proved last year they can shut down the top end of teams lineups and you have to beat them with depth. We had some amazing moments from the bottom 6 guys on our team this series. The Ducks are a different opponent. Kesler is good, but he can't shut down guys as effectively as Vlasic/Braun. I expect McDavid's line to have a much better performance against the Ducks. But, the Ducks have more speed than the Sharks, it will be that much harder for us to defend too.

And gotta give a shout out to Klef/Larsson. We have a legit 1st pairing now, and it's only gonna cost us a little more than 8M for quite a few years still. Klef was amazing this series, and Larsson was battling his butt off all night too. So nice having a D that can lay a beating on a guy like Jumbo Joe along the boards. And Larsson had to be huge last night when Klef got taken down by the flu.

Still room for improvement, but I don't see a reason why we can't be competitive against anyone right now with everyone committed to 2-way play, Talbot being a rock, and having 2 of the best young offensive players in the game that can break games wide open at any moment.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692515 is a reply to message #690826 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS
DeBoer says Thornton was playing through a torn MCL and ACL

Eh? This just seems irresponsible. How does it even make sense that a guy can play all night with a torn MCL and ACL in 1 leg?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692518 is a reply to message #692515 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Don't know the severity of the tears but regardless how effective are you with that kind of injury and are you helping your team? My bro who's a physio said him playing with that is absolutely ridiculous. Other than the train wreck game 4 where it was points night as long as you wore a Sharks jersey, he did nothing. He played a ton with Pavelski who's their best player. How good can Pavelski be when you have a guy on your line that can't play due to injury.

No complaints here. Thanks Sharks for letting Jumbo Joe be "a warrior". Enjoy the offseason.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692520 is a reply to message #692515 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 12:28

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS

Eh? This just seems irresponsible. How does it even make sense that a guy can play all night with a torn MCL and ACL in 1 leg?

You can get braces that will completely immobilize your knee so you can physically move in straight lines. It's the stops and starts, the pivoting, quick changes in direction. He could do long, sweeping turns and move in straight lines be he couldn't stop and start quickly pr pivot when needed. It showed the whole series. He was never the best skater but he was always a good passer that was great at moving the puck quickly, slowing the game down and protecting the puck. How do you protect the puck and survey the ice to find that last second trailer if all he can do is skate up and down the one side of the ice and can't pivot? I think they made their line up worse by having him in there.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692524 is a reply to message #692520 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 11:46

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS

You can get braces that will completely immobilize your knee so you can physically move in straight lines. It's the stops and starts, the pivoting, quick changes in direction. He could do long, sweeping turns and move in straight lines be he couldn't stop and start quickly pr pivot when needed. It showed the whole series. He was never the best skater but he was always a good passer that was great at moving the puck quickly, slowing the game down and protecting the puck. How do you protect the puck and survey the ice to find that last second trailer if all he can do is skate up and down the one side of the ice and can't pivot? I think they made their line up worse by having him in there.

He was still dangerous with the puck even on only one leg, I can remember a few moments where Jumbo Joe was a threat around the net or dishing it to someone else. We were lucky he wasn't 100%.

Reminded me of a guy I played beer league with, can't skate at all, but big and great hands when he had the puck.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692525 is a reply to message #692524 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308 is currently online jds308

1 Cup

nullterm wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 12:25

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 11:46

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS

He was still dangerous with the puck even on only one leg, I can remember a few moments where Jumbo Joe was a threat around the net or dishing it to someone else. We were lucky he wasn't 100%.

Reminded me of a guy I played beer league with, can't skate at all, but big and great hands when he had the puck.

So I guess thanks to the Canucks for injuring Thornton late in the season. We will re-pay you by screwing over your draft pick compensation in the Jannick Hansen trade. #sorrynotsorry?

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692570 is a reply to message #692515 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS

He must see his and the Sharks window closing fast. He's 37 this summer. Marleau is 37 in the fall and unlikely to come back with the Sharks. Pavelski is turning 33. Burns just turned 32. Couture was the only guy in their top seven scorers who isn't 30+. And Thornton's UFA too...so there's a chance the Sharks could decide to turn the page on him this summer. And most of the team's in the division are younger than them now. They're

You have to think all that played a part of him playing, because it does seem like you're really in jeopardy of being hurt even worse playing in a heavy, physical first round series like that, and you wonder at what point is your team better off with their 13th best forward in the lineup, rather than the injured shell of their second best forward?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692571 is a reply to message #692570 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 April 2017 15:00

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS

He must see his and the Sharks window closing fast. He's 37 this summer. Marleau is 37 in the fall and unlikely to come back with the Sharks. Pavelski is turning 33. Burns just turned 32. Couture was the only guy in their top seven scorers who isn't 30+. And Thornton's UFA too...so there's a chance the Sharks could decide to turn the page on him this summer. And most of the team's in the division are younger than them now. They're

You have to think all that played a part of him playing, because it does seem like you're really in jeopardy of being hurt even worse playing in a heavy, physical first round series like that, and you wonder at what point is your team better off with their 13th best forward in the lineup, rather than the injured shell of their second best forward?

I think Thornton And Marleau will be 38 before the start of next season. And now Thornton has a ~4-6 month recovery for his knee to work through. Crazy enough, I thought Thornton was their most creative offensive player, even with the wrecked knee, but to make another big commitment to him coming off knee surgery...quite a gamble by the Sharks.

Pretty sure their window is over. Would take a crazy amount of luck to get big contributions from Thornton/Marleau a 1-3 months before they're gonna turn 39. Saw some stats that suggest Pavelski has been very mediocre over the last few years without Thornton too.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 April 2017 15:11]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692573 is a reply to message #692571 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 April 2017 15:09

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS

I think Thornton And Marleau will be 38 before the start of next season. And now Thornton has a ~4-6 month recovery for his knee to work through. Crazy enough, I thought Thornton was their most creative offensive player, even with the wrecked knee, but to make another big commitment to him coming off knee surgery...quite a gamble by the Sharks.

Pretty sure their window is over. Would take a crazy amount of luck to get big contributions from Thornton/Marleau a 1-3 months before they're gonna turn 39. Saw some stats that suggest Pavelski has been very mediocre over the last few years without Thornton too.

You are indeed correct on Thornton and Marleau - 1979 babies. I blame lack of sleep after a weekend in Vegas for my faulty math.

I think you're right. Best case for Thornton if he wants to win a Cup is to go somewhere else and be a stellar second line center on a younger team that's really close to winning. He'd have to take a pay cut to do it though, and it might be hard to pick the right team to do it with.

I just think that had to play a big part in why he'd play like that, rather than just getting on with surgery and start his rehab three to four weeks earlier. If he thinks it was possibly his last kick at the cat with that team, then it makes sense that he'd take the risk.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692580 is a reply to message #692573 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 April 2017 15:25

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS

You are indeed correct on Thornton and Marleau - 1979 babies. I blame lack of sleep after a weekend in Vegas for my faulty math.

I think you're right. Best case for Thornton if he wants to win a Cup is to go somewhere else and be a stellar second line center on a younger team that's really close to winning. He'd have to take a pay cut to do it though, and it might be hard to pick the right team to do it with.

I just think that had to play a big part in why he'd play like that, rather than just getting on with surgery and start his rehab three to four weeks earlier. If he thinks it was possibly his last kick at the cat with that team, then it makes sense that he'd take the risk.

Oilers?

Re: Oilers vs Sharks - Round 1 [message #692582 is a reply to message #692580 ]
Tue, 25 April 2017 16:36 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 25 April 2017 16:28

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 April 2017 15:25

Kevin Kurz‏ @KKurzNBCS

Oilers?

Heh. Spicy take.

Previous Topic:WCSF- Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #6)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca