This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for LarssonPages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680235 is a reply to message #680230 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 11:52

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 11:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 11:16

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 08:20

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 27 October 2016 17:09

http://www.tsn.ca/hall-adjusting-to-new-normal-in-new-jersey -1.593979

So he still feels he didn't deserve to be the one traded. Reporters really should follow up by asking him who he felt should have been the one to go. Which valuable piece on the team does Hall think deserved to go before him to fix the D.

Quote:

“It’s tough,” Hall said. “I put a lot into my time there. I didn’t want to get traded. But they had to do what they had to do. I don’t think I felt like a scapegoat. I just felt like I was shortchanged in the fact that I had been there for so long and now that they had Connor they were finally making that step and I’m the one that gets let go?”

Don't get me wrong, I get his frustration. Everyone wants to ride the McDavid wave. But, he really should not keep saying this stuff. It's unprofessional and shows bad character. He's suggesting he feels he was special in some way on the team and deserved special treatment. Leave that for the fans to argue about, your job is to pay the game on the team that owns your contract while you enjoy your 6M/year salary.

I couldn't agree more. I think I posted in here a month ago when Hall came out saying he was still upset at camp that Hall needs to get over it. I also somewhat kidding said that when the Oilers open their new swanky building without Hall and they go to the Heritage Classic and Hall isn't there and he watches all of that, I half expected him to kick a few holes in some walls and then curl up into a ball on the floor. Well based on these latest comments, I probably wasn't that far off.

June 29th was the trade. It's not been 4 months and he's still upset by it. The worst part is, you expect a player to be "upset" in that he is really motivated and wants to come out and have a good game against his former team to say "you made a mistake". Happens all the time. But he's actually pouting! "No fair, they were crap when I was here but now are good for Conner". Are you freaking kidding me!!

If I am the Devils vets and management, I am taking him aside and telling him he needs to stop. The good thing is he is playing really well but I can't imagine it is good for their room. There was rumors for years that Hall in the dressing room was the emotional compass of the room. When he was feeling good, everything was rosy but when he was upset or down in the dumps, the team sank. If your best player is standing in front of the media actually pouting about wishing he was an Oiler still and maybe sulking a bit in the dressing room, that is going to spread. I appreciate he's a passionate guy but what teammate is going to want to go through a wall for you when you are telling everyone you wish you weren't there.

The thing is, he keeps getting asked about it. He's clearly wearing his heart on his sleeve here, but I've left a work position before where I felt bitter about the end, so I understand that those feelings don't go away quickly.

I don't think anyone should lose any sleep over Hall still being annoyed that he got traded. I would guess that that sentiment is often the case, but A) people don't ask as often (has anyone at any point asked Larsson about his feelings about the trade and about New Jersey feeling he was the one who was expendable???) and B) most players would be less honest about it.

He at no point said he wished he wasn't in New Jersey, so I don't think his Devils teammates are going to be broken up about these comments...especially considering that he's scored almost half the goals that the team has so far this year.

They keep asking him the question because he keeps whining about being traded. He doesn't have to answer the question, it's not the law. If he chooses to answer it, all he has to say like a professional would do is. "I was there for a long time. I have friends on the team so I do keep track of the team. I am glad they are doing well." Then when he gets asked if he is still bitter about the trade, he says. "It was 4 months ago, I have moved on and my focus is on my new team and a new chapter in my life." That's what an adult professional says. You don't go into detail how you feel you were shortchanged when you were there and how unfair it is that you were the first one to go, especially since they are winning. He might has well stick his fingers in his ears and stomp around the room saying "no fair, no fair."

Let's face facts here. Even if a person hates the Hall trade, Hall was the only player other than McDavid who had any kind of value. Nobody is trading a dman remotely good for any of the dmen they had, including Nurse. Even Klefbom who was still a bit unproven and was coming off a major injury. Nobody is trading a dman remotely good for Nuge or Eberle or any other forward. So unless you want to trade off 3 or 4 assets, to get one guy, trading Hall was the only option they had.

I love it. If you guys want non-answers, why even bother reading/listening to the interviews? I'm glad that he's upset that he is missing out here. It shows that he wanted to be here all along. The commitment was there. It shows that superstars want to play for the Oilers. Given the picture Lucic painted of how the rest of the league sees the Oilers, Hall's pouting is good advertising.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680238 is a reply to message #680230 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Let's face facts here. Even if a person hates the Hall trade, Hall was the only player other than McDavid who had any kind of value. Nobody is trading a dman remotely good for any of the dmen they had, including Nurse. Even Klefbom who was still a bit unproven and was coming off a major injury. Nobody is trading a dman remotely good for Nuge or Eberle or any other forward. So unless you want to trade off 3 or 4 assets, to get one guy, trading Hall was the only option they had.

None of what you've said in that paragraph are facts. Every single sentence, with the exception of "Let's face facts here" is an opinion.

Opinions are fine, and please keep expressing yours on this board, but the distinction between fact and opinion is an important one.

I agree with JPro. I am totally fine with him saying how he feels, and I think it's good to know that an elite hockey player wanted to be part of what's happening in Edmonton. That's a refreshing change after years where players getting traded away looked and sounded like men just released from a prison sentence.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680239 is a reply to message #680238 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 13:21

None of what you've said in that paragraph are facts. Every single sentence, with the exception of "Let's face facts here" is an opinion.

Opinions are fine, and please keep expressing yours on this board, but the distinction between fact and opinion is an important one.

I agree with JPro. I am totally fine with him saying how he feels, and I think it's good to know that an elite hockey player wanted to be part of what's happening in Edmonton. That's a refreshing change after years where players getting traded away looked and sounded like men just released from a prison sentence.

I'm kind of in the middle on this one.

If I were in management, I'd prefer my players gave Ryan Smyth-type answers... always available, but never revealing anything and constantly spouting cliches. Especially in a market like Edmonton where the media likes to run with things. I got angry at Klefbom for running his mouth this summer, and kind of wished Yakupov didn't talked to Russian journalists. I know some people like it (journalists love it) - and I love watching shows like 24/7, etc. - but in the end, I don't want little controversies popping up all over the place. If I were in NJ's management, I'd definitely want him just giving canned answers rather than fanning the flame.

As an Oilers fan... I love it that a player is visibly angry at leaving Edmonton. That often hasn't been the case in the past, and it certainly has been the perception many players have of Edmonton before playing here. So it's actually kind of nice to hear.

As a person... I understand his frustration. Whenever you stick something out and show loyalty, you want to reap the benefits and rewards. Hall was here longer than anyone other than Eberle, and so I get that he wanted to see the light at the end of the tunnel. He's a pretty emotional guy, and I get it. For his own sake he maybe should not express that feeling so freely, but I understand why it is there.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680246 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Would you trade back Adam Larsson to New Jersey for Hall if you could?[ 48 vote(s) ]
1.Yes 8 / 17%
2.No 40 / 83%

On the radio this morning, one of the broadcasters made an offhand comment that "No Oilers' fan would undo the Hall/Larsson trade now even if they could". I knew right away that there's certainly some fans that still would want to, but I was curious as to how many.

So I thought I would ask the question. Given the start of the Oilers and the play of both Hall and Larsson would you still want to undo the trade?

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680247 is a reply to message #680246 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 13:57

On the radio this morning, one of the broadcasters made an offhand comment that "No Oilers' fan would undo the Hall/Larsson trade now even if they could". I knew right away that there's certainly some fans that still would want to, but I was curious as to how many.

So I thought I would ask the question. Given the start of the Oilers and the play of both Hall and Larsson would you still want to undo the trade?

That seems like a Wil Frasier kind of comment.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680251 is a reply to message #680247 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 14:00

That seems like a Wil Frasier kind of comment.

I think it was actually Dustin Nielsen, but I was waking up (and I'm not a morning person) so I could be mistaken.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680252 is a reply to message #680246 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Absolutely. In a heartbeat.

Larsson has been good. He's a calming presence, very good at taking down passes with his stick, physical, and steady. As billed though, there's not a lot of offence there. He's got one assist so far, and I don't think that's just luck. He doesn't have much for offensive instincts. As I've said before, not every offensive defenceman is great, but all great defencemen have an offensive aspect to their game.

Taylor Hall is a star player, and most of the best teams have a couple of star threats. When McDavid isn't on the ice, the Oilers play more of the time in their own end and give up more chances than they get. Hall would have been able to make that two lines that could carry the play most times.

I love what the Oilers have done out of the gate this year, but the Oilers traded a 10 for a 7. I'd undo it immediately if I could, but I suspect Shero would end that call very quickly if you asked...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680337 is a reply to message #680252 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 14:05

Larsson has been good. He's a calming presence, very good at taking down passes with his stick, physical, and steady. As billed though, there's not a lot of offence there. He's got one assist so far, and I don't think that's just luck. He doesn't have much for offensive instincts. As I've said before, not every offensive defenceman is great, but all great defencemen have an offensive aspect to their game.

Too be fair, Larsson has 1 less point than Sekera and Russell, and is tied with Klefbom (both have 2 assists). I have noticed that Larsson is starting to get more engaged offensively... making some pinches, shooting the puck more, etc. I think he has more offence than what he showed in NJ, but it will probably take a few dozen games before it starts to show as he's had the defensive side of the game beat so deep into him from his time in NJ. I don't think he'll ever put up 40 points, but I can see him cracking 30 points in future seasons (his last 2 seasons are 18 & 24 points).

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680338 is a reply to message #680337 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

People rag on Larsson for his lack of points. I know it's tough to quantify, but how many extra points do our forwards have due to his ability to get the puck out of our D zone quickly & efficiently?

How many times over the last 10 years have our forwards been stuck in our own end their entire shift, leaving their only option as a dump out and line change? Way too many to count. That doesn't happen very often with Larsson back there.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680342 is a reply to message #680338 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sat, 29 October 2016 09:37

People rag on Larsson for his lack of points. I know it's tough to quantify, but how many extra points do our forwards have due to his ability to get the puck out of our D zone quickly & efficiently?

How many times over the last 10 years have our forwards been stuck in our own end their entire shift, leaving their only option as a dump out and line change? Way too many to count. That doesn't happen very often with Larsson back there.

Larsson is only 23 too. He's gone how many years getting D and only D pounded into his head by coaches burying him in his own zone. Give the guy time. Sometimes something just clicks in a D's mind at a certain age and they finally figure out how to safely combine risk taking with their defensive responsibilities, and they take a huge step. It's still possible with Larsson.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680344 is a reply to message #680252 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 13:05

Taylor Hall is a star player, and most of the best teams have a couple of star threats. When McDavid isn't on the ice, the Oilers play more of the time in their own end and give up more chances than they get. Hall would have been able to make that two lines that could carry the play most times.

I love what the Oilers have done out of the gate this year, but the Oilers traded a 10 for a 7. I'd undo it immediately if I could, but I suspect Shero would end that call very quickly if you asked...

Agree.
Larsson isn't the reason the Oil are 7-1, the addition of Lucic, Russell, healthy Klefbom, McDavid, RNH, Rebirth of Sekera, Pitlick, Letestu, Lander, and a Talbot looking like a barn door in net, are IMHO much much bigger factors, with the team doing this well Hall's trade value would be a lot higher, we sold low. The better the Oil do this year, the value of everyone goes up in trade value, job of GM will be a lot easier.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680345 is a reply to message #680344 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 29 October 2016 12:35

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 13:05

Agree.
Larsson isn't the reason the Oil are 7-1, the addition of Lucic, Russell, healthy Klefbom, McDavid, RNH, Rebirth of Sekera, Pitlick, Letestu, Lander, and a Talbot looking like a barn door in net, are IMHO much much bigger factors, with the team doing this well Hall's trade value would be a lot higher, we sold low. The better the Oil do this year, the value of everyone goes up in trade value, job of GM will be a lot easier.

Larsson has been better than Russell. If Russell had to play Larsson's minutes we would be back to the old days of fire drills in our end all night against top players, that's what happened to him in Dallas, he was destroyed when they made him play top pairing minutes. Larsson let's Sekera/Russell play easier minutes, more offensive zone starts, easier competition. It's all working together now, players are playing the role they're suited for. Take Klef or Larsson out and it falls apart.

And considering Hall doesn't play to his potential when he's not "the guy", like when McDavid came back last year and before McDavid was injured, I don't think we miss him all that much. Not as much as we would miss Larsson now. Hall would be a 50-60 point guy if he had to play 2nd fiddle to McDavid (maybe less than that if we only went by his performance last year with McDavid back from his injury), performing poorly on the Woodcroft PP if he was here this year, and he would still only get you Larsson. He's actually a below 50% corsi % player on Jersey so far, and his points/60 5v5 are way down. Good for him though finally being on a team with a properly coached PP, was never gonna happen here though unfortunately, we have Woodcroft for at least another few years.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 October 2016 13:34]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680253 is a reply to message #680246 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 14:57

Nope. Wouldn't do it. I understand that Hall is probably a better player if you're looking for offence, but Larsson is the better player for building a team. I liked the trade then, I like it now. I DO wish we'd gotten a pick along with Larsson, but we didn't and I'm okay with it. Hall can be good somewhere else and still be on a losing team, but the Oilers are better without him and with Larsson and I cheer for the Oilers...so Let's Go Oilers.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680254 is a reply to message #680246 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I honestly don't know.

I don't think the Oilers got fair value. They should have got more for Taylor Hall. I still believe that.

But... they look like a better team. That may not be due to Larsson (likely has a lot to do with McDavid and Talbot), but I like what I've seen. Both Edmonton and New Jersey are doing better than they have in a few years, and both Hall and Larsson are major reasons why. It could end up being one of those trades where both clubs end up better. Those are the best kind.

Ask me again in January. Seven games is not enough for me to judge this. But I will say, the Oilers finding success this year will make the Hall trade easier to digest, even if I always believe they probably gave up too much.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680257 is a reply to message #680246 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Could probably do this poll every 20 games or so :)

I said no. Happy with the balance of the team. We lost the trade in a vacuum, but what do we do with Hall back? Just keep trying to outscore our problems? Get some D less able to playing against top players by other means and hope it works out? Guess that's an option, but it seems so far Chia has managed to make a good team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680259 is a reply to message #680246 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

No, but I'm willing to admit that it's in large part because we're winning games, finally, and I don't know how much of it has to do with this trade and how much is just everyone finally clicking.

Hall is still a top player, but Larsson is proving his case rather well. Hard call to make.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680264 is a reply to message #680259 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

vsove wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 14:35

No, but I'm willing to admit that it's in large part because we're winning games, finally, and I don't know how much of it has to do with this trade and how much is just everyone finally clicking.

Hall is still a top player, but Larsson is proving his case rather well. Hard call to make.

I just look at it this way: the Oil traded a big piece from an area of strength to address a glaring area of need. The loss of the big piece, while not being compensated for by the piece received in return, did result in a net gain for the *team* as a whole by making it more balanced. That, and I agree that Hall was never going to get as much in return as some fans think.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680266 is a reply to message #680264 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 14:38

vsove wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 14:35

I just look at it this way: the Oil traded a big piece from an area of strength to address a glaring area of need. The loss of the big piece, while not being compensated for by the piece received in return, did result in a net gain for the *team* as a whole by making it more balanced. That, and I agree that Hall was never going to get as much in return as some fans think.

This x100. Hall is the overall better player, but Larsson fills an area we've needed for a decade and is a bigger boost to our needs.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680281 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Oh look, Taylor Hall lets his man slip by the score the OT winner. Don't miss him even a bit.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680377 is a reply to message #680281 ]
Sun, 30 October 2016 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

I don't miss Hall one bit. What kind of effort is this anyways, in OT? Forearm shiver? Gimme a break.

https://www.nhl.com/video/anisimov-buries-overtime-winner/t- 282916606/c-45790803

See ya later sucker!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680386 is a reply to message #680377 ]
Sun, 30 October 2016 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Lew19 wrote on Sun, 30 October 2016 13:37

I don't miss Hall one bit. What kind of effort is this anyways, in OT? Forearm shiver? Gimme a break.

https://www.nhl.com/video/anisimov-buries-overtime-winner/t- 282916606/c-45790803

See ya later sucker!

Yeah it's pretty sad when even the Hawks announcers are bashing Hall for that carelessness within his own zone too

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680348 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You know who isn't getting enough credit for the Oilers turnaround.

Hunter.

The team has a new identity this season, and it was really once Hunter donned the Oilers jersey that the team started turning it around.

Forget Larsson, Lucic, Russell, etc.

Team toughness, attitude, new identity = Hunter.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680356 is a reply to message #680348 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 29 October 2016 12:36

Hunter.

The team has a new identity this season, and it was really once Hunter donned the Oilers jersey that the team started turning it around.

He's a mean cat alright.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680359 is a reply to message #680356 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

OK here's my view of the Hall trade. The same as others have allready said, but I'm going to make a car analogy. Similar to the Corvette analogy somebody posted in the Yakupov trade thread (I think).

So your in a racing leauge. You have a dope arse race car. The cars got a rad engine, but you got no tires, so the cars going nowhere. You win some unexpected lottery, and the prize is an even better engine, the best in the world!

So you ask the other teams for some tires. They all know you won the super engine. One team offers you four dependable good tires, but he wants your old, awesome engine. You know the tires aren't worth the engine, but you do the deal. It hurts to see the old engine doing great with its new car. Except your car is running great with your new engine, and the four tires you desperately needed. Your car is better than the teams that you traded with.

I've moved on. The Edmonton Oilers have traded much better players than Hall. It sucks when a star leaves your team. Recently they've left due to some drama scandal, and were happy to go. Hall left in a hockey trade, and was sad to go. Yet we try to make it a drama scandle?

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680373 is a reply to message #680359 ]
Sun, 30 October 2016 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Sat, 29 October 2016 17:46

OK here's my view of the Hall trade. The same as others have allready said, but I'm going to make a car analogy. Similar to the Corvette analogy somebody posted in the Yakupov trade thread (I think).

So your in a racing leauge. You have a dope arse race car. The cars got a rad engine, but you got no tires, so the cars going nowhere. You win some unexpected lottery, and the prize is an even better engine, the best in the world!

So you ask the other teams for some tires. They all know you won the super engine. One team offers you four dependable good tires, but he wants your old, awesome engine. You know the tires aren't worth the engine, but you do the deal. It hurts to see the old engine doing great with its new car. Except your car is running great with your new engine, and the four tires you desperately needed. Your car is better than the teams that you traded with.

I've moved on. The Edmonton Oilers have traded much better players than Hall. It sucks when a star leaves your team. Recently they've left due to some drama scandal, and were happy to go. Hall left in a hockey trade, and was sad to go. Yet we try to make it a drama scandle?

The difference is a car only needs one engine. Hockey teams require more than one forward, particularly if your team has a tendency of having a lot of injuries. I know where you are getting at here, but its not a perfect analogy.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680378 is a reply to message #680373 ]
Sun, 30 October 2016 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Sun, 30 October 2016 11:00

The difference is a car only needs one engine. Hockey teams require more than one forward, particularly if your team has a tendency of having a lot of injuries. I know where you are getting at here, but its not a perfect analogy.

Hahaha yeah it might be obvious I'm not a car guy! Hall and other forwards could have been a part of the engine, not the whole thing!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680376 is a reply to message #680359 ]
Sun, 30 October 2016 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

not going to comment on the analogy you made, just on the last comment about moving on.

I've moved on. Long ago. About a week after the trade was done, but probably more like a day or two after. The reaction was mostly shock, not anger or anything else. The balance of the team was off and it's been close to being fixed, almost in a single off-season. As you said, the Oilers have traded much better players than Hall before. I sort of understand why people were so upset and loved Hall as a player, but to me he was always just "really good", not superstar calibre, and I was legitimately concerned about the potential clash of egos between him and 97 moving forward... perhaps not about the "clash" but more regarding his personality and ego, relating to the structure of the team and it's leadership group moving forward... when McDavid was drafted, that was a seismic shift and changed everything, nothing was ever going to be the same and I think his [Hall's] days were numbered shortly after. Combine that with the drop he had in the last half of the season and it was all but over.

I was in favour of them keeping Hall moving forward for 1 more season, I admit, but looking back I'm definitely happy the deal was made. And I did want them to keep Hall for an extra season because I wanted the org to protect, and project value on their best players and build internal strength so to speak, and to hopefully be able to develop Davidson and Nurse from within, so they could get more value in a future deal. But it's evident the value was never there, and the Oilers - despite having 4 first overall picks - were still in a position of weakness from the lack of success they've had (understatement) and every other team in the league knowing their weaknesses and what they were looking for in terms of trade.

It's over now, and quite frankly I'm glad he gone - mostly because of the backlash seen online from fans who seem partial to the departed player rather than the team itself, and because subsequently the online fan community in general had become so whole heartedly unbearable, both on forums/message boards and blogs... his trade closed a chapter and started a new, more hopeful one IMO. The only minor problem now from what I've seen (from the online community) is the sort of divergence amongst fans it's created, who look at any success the team is having and point at Hall as if to say, "see, he was part of the problem" or something to that extent.. or cheer for Hall to have a monstrous season so they can point at management and other fans or "Hall bashers" as to say "look at these f'ing idiots and the player they gave up on, terribad trade, you guys were wrong".

Get on with it people. It's over. The team has McJesus in the fold, is building depth at all corners of the org, and is looking to turn a corner. Time to come together. The vitriol between members of the same fanbase has become disgusting in the past 2 years and lead to me hop off online discussion forums altogether, it's actually taken away from mine and many other's ability to enjoy the game. MOVE THE fcuk ON.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 October 2016 12:43]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680400 is a reply to message #680356 ]
Sun, 30 October 2016 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 29 October 2016 16:44

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 29 October 2016 12:36

Hunter.

He's a mean cat alright.

Oh yeah.....I was wondering who the F MReasoner was talking about.
icon_lol

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #687757 is a reply to message #680400 ]
Tue, 28 February 2017 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ taylor-hall-on-the-edmonton-oilers-if-they-win-the-cup-ill-b e-choked

Very candid interview by Hall and Whitney. Some interesting dynamics and thoughts for sure.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #687835 is a reply to message #687757 ]
Tue, 28 February 2017 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2017 12:04

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ taylor-hall-on-the-edmonton-oilers-if-they-win-the-cup-ill-b e-choked

Very candid interview by Hall and Whitney. Some interesting dynamics and thoughts for sure.

I listened to this on my commute home. So much interesting stuff. Here's a quick summary, but give it a listen anyway:

- Whitney is a huge goof.
- Hall said he was hoping for Boston to win the draft lottery in his draft year. He liked the city and saw an open LW spot.
- Hall admitted that the team needed better defensemen during his time with the Oilers.
- Whitney and Hall told this story: Glenn Anderson congratulates Hall at a bar after Hall's first NHL game winning goal. Glenn chirps and says something like "Congratulations. 65 more and you will tie me." to which Hall responds "Yeah congratulations on scoring the 4th goal in an 8-3 win in 1985 fifty seven times".
- Whitney and Hall both agreed that when Anderson was around after games, he was usually pretty rude and drunk after games. Hall said that he thinks Kevin Lowe eventually called Glenn and told him not to hang around the young kids anymore.
- Lots of bar stories...I imagine after 6 years you are going to have some bar stories, but this does reinforce the idea that they were bar stars. Hall and Whitney both tell a story about how after a road game, they would get off the plane late at night and try to get to a bar before last call.
- Hall said he would be choked if the Oilers won the cup.
- Whitney is pretty clear that he thinks the Old Boys Cup running the team is what drove it to the ground.

Overall, really interesting. It's not an interview, it's 3 guys goofing off, talking and laughing.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #687837 is a reply to message #687835 ]
Tue, 28 February 2017 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2017 21:58

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2017 12:04

I listened to this on my commute home. So much interesting stuff. Here's a quick summary, but give it a listen anyway:

- Whitney is a huge goof.
- Hall said he was hoping for Boston to win the draft lottery in his draft year. He liked the city and saw an open LW spot.
- Hall admitted that the team needed better defensemen during his time with the Oilers.
- Whitney and Hall told this story: Glenn Anderson congratulates Hall at a bar after Hall's first NHL game winning goal. Glenn chirps and says something like "Congratulations. 65 more and you will tie me." to which Hall responds "Yeah congratulations on scoring the 4th goal in an 8-3 win in 1985 fifty seven times".
- Whitney and Hall both agreed that when Anderson was around after games, he was usually pretty rude and drunk after games. Hall said that he thinks Kevin Lowe eventually called Glenn and told him not to hang around the young kids anymore.
- Lots of bar stories...I imagine after 6 years you are going to have some bar stories, but this does reinforce the idea that they were bar stars. Hall and Whitney both tell a story about how after a road game, they would get off the plane late at night and try to get to a bar before last call.
- Hall said he would be choked if the Oilers won the cup.
- Whitney is pretty clear that he thinks the Old Boys Cup running the team is what drove it to the ground.

Overall, really interesting. It's not an interview, it's 3 guys goofing off, talking and laughing.

I posted this podcast in another thread, but after listening to it this morning I listened to a couple of the other Spittin' Chiclets podcasts. Hilarious. The one with Mike commodore is real good too

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690125 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Sun, 02 April 2017 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jones got some interesting comments out of Chia about this trade a few days ago:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/03/31/chiarelli-looks-back-o n-what-will-be-for-the-oilers

Quote:

When Chiarelli was hired, he talked about significantly upgrading in goal and getting bigger and tougher to play against up front. And when he made the Taylor Hall trade for Adam Larsson, indicated it was inspired by the need to be able to compete against Pacific Division teams.

“I remember saying that the moves we’re making will help us win the Pacific Division. Or maybe it was ‘come out of’ the Pacific Division,” Chiarelli recalled to your correspondent, looking back now.

Look at the numbers after Thursday night’s game.

The Oilers with the win are 16-5-3 in the Pacific and 29-10-6 against the West.

Hall wasn’t here, but he put the Oilers in the playoffs with a chance to do well.

“I’ll use a football analogy about it. Teams have successful running backs that come and go. You can replace them. But the guys who get drafted the highest are the offensive left tackles,” said Chiarelli said of most quarterbacks' blind side.. “You never hear about these guys. But look at any championship team, they always have a strong left side of the offensive line.

“It’s not a sexy position. You don’t know these guys. But it’s a vitally important cog in the team. I’m not saying Larsson is a left tackle. But we had a lot of forwards. There is one puck. It was the best fit and there was a high acquisition cost and it played into the division. You need that type of player to win this division.”

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690126 is a reply to message #690125 ]
Sun, 02 April 2017 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 02 April 2017 14:56

Jones got some interesting comments out of Chia about this trade a few days ago:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/03/31/chiarelli-looks-back-o n-what-will-be-for-the-oilers

Quote:

When Chiarelli was hired, he talked about significantly upgrading in goal and getting bigger and tougher to play against up front. And when he made the Taylor Hall trade for Adam Larsson, indicated it was inspired by the need to be able to compete against Pacific Division teams.

“I remember saying that the moves we’re making will help us win the Pacific Division. Or maybe it was ‘come out of’ the Pacific Division,” Chiarelli recalled to your correspondent, looking back now.

Hall wasn’t here, but he put the Oilers in the playoffs with a chance to do well.

“I’ll use a football analogy about it. Teams have successful running backs that come and go. You can replace them. But the guys who get drafted the highest are the offensive left tackles,” said Chiarelli said of most quarterbacks' blind side.. “You never hear about these guys. But look at any championship team, they always have a strong left side of the offensive line.

“It’s not a sexy position. You don’t know these guys. But it’s a vitally important cog in the team. I’m not saying Larsson is a left tackle. But we had a lot of forwards. There is one puck. It was the best fit and there was a high acquisition cost and it played into the division. You need that type of player to win this division.”

The Oilers are a better TEAM after this trade. I've been saying it ever since it happened. I don't think I had ever posted saying that, maybe I had, but I believe the majority of this trade chatter was prior to my recent "I want to be involved on this site instead of just an outsider". I've loved Larsson as an Oiler. I've loved Chia as the Oilers GM. Yeah some moves have made me scratch my head (Reinhart... Yakupov) but overall, look what Chia has done here. Last season was in his own words an evaluation year to take stock of what he had to work with. Since that evaluation took place, we've seen a 27 point increase in the standings and a +73 improvement in +/-!!!!! With 4 games to go both those stats should see a further increase. It's unreal. It's exciting. It's a great time to be an Oilers fan. Thank you, Peter Chiarelli.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690138 is a reply to message #690126 ]
Sun, 02 April 2017 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Sun, 02 April 2017 15:18

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 02 April 2017 14:56

Quote:

The Oilers are a better TEAM after this trade. I've been saying it ever since it happened. I don't think I had ever posted saying that, maybe I had, but I believe the majority of this trade chatter was prior to my recent "I want to be involved on this site instead of just an outsider". I've loved Larsson as an Oiler. I've loved Chia as the Oilers GM. Yeah some moves have made me scratch my head (Reinhart... Yakupov) but overall, look what Chia has done here. Last season was in his own words an evaluation year to take stock of what he had to work with. Since that evaluation took place, we've seen a 27 point increase in the standings and a +73 improvement in +/-!!!!! With 4 games to go both those stats should see a further increase. It's unreal. It's exciting. It's a great time to be an Oilers fan. Thank you, Peter Chiarelli.

Failure to defend leads killed this team for years. We could score, but as soon as the other team cranked up their game, we couldn't handle it. Especially against western opponents. I complained some this season about how we seem to intentionally bottle up and not go for the kill in games with a lead, but there is no denying today that it worked a lot more than it failed, and we finally had the players that can pull that type of strategy off. And all the experience we got playing that way, could pay dividends in the playoffs this year and in the future. This has been a remarkable transformation of the team in the last couple years.

Chia deserves a lot of credit for the supporting cast he kept and added around McDavid. If by some miracle Ebs can figure out how to aim a shot again, we could be a very dangerous team in the playoffs. With McDavid/Drai we will be at least somewhat dangerous no matter what regardless, but that next level is gonna need some guys able to make the most of their limited opportunities in the lower lines.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690147 is a reply to message #690138 ]
Mon, 03 April 2017 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

In my opinion, the definition of playoff type hockey is physical, grind it out, tight checking, not a lot of offensive chances, margin of error is small, where every mistake is huge. Since March 20th, a 2 week span, the Oilers have played 7 games. In those 7 games, the Oilers are 6-1. In those 7 games, the Oilers have played games with playoff type hockey 5 times. They played the Kings who were playing for their lives and play playoff hockey all the time. They won 2-0 & 2-1. The played the cup finalist and team near the top of the division the Sharks, they won 3-2. They played the Ducks who are near the top of the division have been in the playoffs for many years. They lost 4-3 in a game that Talbot wasn't very good and they won 3-2. I think if Talbot had of been decent, the Oilers win the other game.

The Oilers have learned how to close out games. They have learned how to play tight hockey where you need good goaltending, sound defense and you can't afford mistakes. In my opinion, if Hall was on the team and Larsson wasn't, the Oilers don't go 6-1 in the last 2 weeks. They don't sweep the Kings They don't beat the Kings 2-0 and 2-1 in must win games for the Kings. Maybe they split them. They don't beat the Sharks and they sure don't beat the Ducks who came in rolling and tops in the division. While I liked Hall and will always like him as a player, Hall would not be on the ice in the closing mins protecting a lead. While better defensively, Hall doesn't play sound, tight, mistake free hockey. On the flip side, while Larsson isn't the only reason, he's been a massive help for their defense being a stabilizing force on the back end and really helped with the emergence of Klefbom.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690149 is a reply to message #690147 ]
Mon, 03 April 2017 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 09:29

In my opinion, the definition of playoff type hockey is physical, grind it out, tight checking, not a lot of offensive chances, margin of error is small, where every mistake is huge. Since March 20th, a 2 week span, the Oilers have played 7 games. In those 7 games, the Oilers are 6-1. In those 7 games, the Oilers have played games with playoff type hockey 5 times. They played the Kings who were playing for their lives and play playoff hockey all the time. They won 2-0 & 2-1. The played the cup finalist and team near the top of the division the Sharks, they won 3-2. They played the Ducks who are near the top of the division have been in the playoffs for many years. They lost 4-3 in a game that Talbot wasn't very good and they won 3-2. I think if Talbot had of been decent, the Oilers win the other game.

The Oilers have learned how to close out games. They have learned how to play tight hockey where you need good goaltending, sound defense and you can't afford mistakes. In my opinion, if Hall was on the team and Larsson wasn't, the Oilers don't go 6-1 in the last 2 weeks. They don't sweep the Kings They don't beat the Kings 2-0 and 2-1 in must win games for the Kings. Maybe they split them. They don't beat the Sharks and they sure don't beat the Ducks who came in rolling and tops in the division. While I liked Hall and will always like him as a player, Hall would not be on the ice in the closing mins protecting a lead. While better defensively, Hall doesn't play sound, tight, mistake free hockey. On the flip side, while Larsson isn't the only reason, he's been a massive help for their defense being a stabilizing force on the back end and really helped with the emergence of Klefbom.

Objection your honour: incredibly speculative and impossible to prove in any sense.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690153 is a reply to message #690149 ]
Mon, 03 April 2017 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 09:32

Objection your honour: incredibly speculative and impossible to prove in any sense.

Hall's never played tight checking hockey. He's improved defensively but his knock has been and still he is gives up too many against. They put McDavid on the PK, they have McDavid on the ice to end games. I don't remember Hall killing a penalties very often if at all and I don't remember him being on the ice towards the end of games to close them out very often. He's never been a plus player and is a -7 for the Devils this season.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690154 is a reply to message #690153 ]
Mon, 03 April 2017 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 09:43

Hall's never played tight checking hockey. He's improved defensively but his knock has been and still he is gives up too many against. They put McDavid on the PK, they have McDavid on the ice to end games. I don't remember Hall killing a penalties very often if at all and I don't remember him being on the ice towards the end of games to close them out very often. He's never been a plus player and is a -7 for the Devils this season.

He actually HAS been a plus player. He was +5 in 2012-13. While he's mostly been in the negatives, it's important to acknowledge just how bad those teams were, and where he stacked up compared to the rest.

2010-11 -9 Team was -76. Even at -9, there were 12 Oilers with worse numbers.
2011-12 -3 Team was -27. Again middle of the pack. Best Oiler for +/-? Sam Gagner at +5!
2012-13 +5 Lockout year. Edmonton was -9. Crazy how close Krueger was. Hall 4th on team.
2013-14 -15 DERF!!! Team back to -67. Eight worse than Hall's ugly number. Krueger's work wasted.
2014-15 -1 Team an astounding -85. Hall was the best +/- on the team. Shocking that he was that close to even on a team that bad. Thanks again Dallas.
2015-16 -4 Team is still -42. Hall's number is slightly above average.

Hall has never been a penalty killer, but he didn't need to be, and if he was here this year, they wouldn't have used him as one either. We still would have had McDavid. McDavid is a generational player, and Hall is not, so it's ridiculous to compare them.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690155 is a reply to message #690154 ]
Mon, 03 April 2017 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:55

He actually HAS been a plus player. He was +5 in 2012-13. While he's mostly been in the negatives, it's important to acknowledge just how bad those teams were, and where he stacked up compared to the rest.

2011-12 -3 Team was -27. Again middle of the pack. Best Oiler for +/-? Sam Gagner at +5!
2012-13 +5 Lockout year. Edmonton was -9. Crazy how close Krueger was. Hall 4th on team.
2013-14 -15 DERF!!! Team back to -67. Eight worse than Hall's ugly number. Krueger's work wasted.
2014-15 -1 Team an astounding -85. Hall was the best +/- on the team. Shocking that he was that close to even on a team that bad. Thanks again Dallas.

Hall has never been a penalty killer, but he didn't need to be, and if he was here this year, they wouldn't have used him as one either. We still would have had McDavid. McDavid is a generational player, and Hall is not, so it's ridiculous to compare them.

Also, while not NHL, Hall does have back-to-back Memorial Cup MVPs on his resume. Can't win those without being capable of playoff hockey.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690156 is a reply to message #690155 ]
Mon, 03 April 2017 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:05

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 10:55

Also, while not NHL, Hall does have back-to-back Memorial Cup MVPs on his resume. Can't win those without being capable of playoff hockey.

He was the alpha dog on those powerhouse teams. A power winger can dominate in junior. Attack attack attack, let your superior physical attributes dominate all the 18-20 year old kids that play mediocre defence.

He's been trying to do the same thing his whole career in the NHL. But is' not quite as easy there. Everyone has to play a team game. The D are all a few inches taller, 30 lbs heavier, play proper defence and have seen every kind of player coming down the wing on them.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690157 is a reply to message #690155 ]
Mon, 03 April 2017 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Is this thread turning into a debate on whether or not Taylor Hall is a good hockey player?

Because that shouldn't be in question.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible
Next Topic:Larsson a Kraken
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca