Fri, 14 October 2016 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 11:33

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 10:20

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 10:03

OilPeg wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 09:22

McDavid97 wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 10:06

But that's not how it works. They have Trouba - not playing him (not having a contract) hurts the team as he is better than other defenders. Also not getting something in return for him now compared to say 2 months from now hurts them for those 2 months with whatever asset not playing for the Jets or the farm team learning the system. It's the opportunity cost of having that replacement (could be any position).

That's where we differ in our opinions though because I think they don't have him. It's not their choice to sit him, he's decided he doesn't want to be a Jet anymore so Trouba is not a Jet and they can't use him. It's not like they've healthied him and he's watching with his hand in the popcorn box. Sure they could trade him for a replacement, but why cave for a result that's not deemed worthy? Trading him today for 50% of his value, or 70% or 80%, doesn't make sense to me. Morrissey is adequate for now until he isn't.

I really feel like the message needs to be sent to future RFAs that they won't cater to this BS. I'm salty for sure, but Trouba has not put in the time to dictate where he gets to play. He's got 4 years to go before that happens, and if he sits out the year, it'll be 5 years. There hasn't even been a conversation regarding money this whole time if you believe the reports. This has always been a trade demand.

This situation is even further complicated because trading him for the value they deem worthy isn't going to be easy without a contract. Because he's RFA, any team that wants him is going to have to negotiate a contract first because they'd be foolish to trade for him without knowing he'll sign. Even if Trouba works out a deal with the Oilers, if the Jets don't like the trade offer, he doesn't get traded. Trouba has made a terrible mistake here.

Question, since you are in tr market: do the Jets match an offer sheet or take the picks?

I think they'd have to match. Draft picks just don't help the team enough.

I imagine the perfect thing for them would be to trade for a good left-shot defenceman. They're stacked on the right side. Fowler would make sense for the Jets, but not likely for the Ducks who need to clear salary. Bringing on another holdout in need of a raise isn't likely in the best interests for the Ducks.

If I'm Chiarelli, I'd be talking to them every day about a swap including Nurse though...Trouba has some offensive instincts, they could play him on the second pairing and the powerplay.

But sadly, I think the Oilers would insist on finding some way to lose a trade like that...maybe through in RNH?

That's why I wonder if as hard as they are too do, a 3 way is actually possible between the Jets- Ducks- Oilers. The Ducks are already struggling to get Rackell and Lindholm signed, so taking Trouba back for Fowler doesn't help at all. Even if they swapped Lindholm, it still wouldn't help them. The Jets want a plug and play Dman back for Trouba which I can understand. So I wonder if the Oilers could trade a Nurse or some combination of picks and prospects to the Ducks for Fowler because they really can't take back any salary and they as an organization are loaded on defense so they have a guy or 2 that can come up and play. Then flip him for Trouba to the Jets.

I just think that if the Jets want a plug and play, comparable left shot dman back like they say, I am scratching my head as to which team has one available. Trading Klefbom makes no sense for the Oilers because all they are doing is strengthening the right and severely weakening the left. So they would be no farther ahead.

Shea Theodore and Darnell Nurse are familiar with each other too... (and looked great together in the World Juniors, which granted, means nothing).

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #679107 is a reply to message #679099 ]
Fri, 14 October 2016 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 11:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 11:33

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 10:20

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 10:03

OilPeg wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 09:22

McDavid97 wrote on Fri, 14 October 2016 10:06

But that's not how it works. They have Trouba - not playing him (not having a contract) hurts the team as he is better than other defenders. Also not getting something in return for him now compared to say 2 months from now hurts them for those 2 months with whatever asset not playing for the Jets or the farm team learning the system. It's the opportunity cost of having that replacement (could be any position).

That's where we differ in our opinions though because I think they don't have him. It's not their choice to sit him, he's decided he doesn't want to be a Jet anymore so Trouba is not a Jet and they can't use him. It's not like they've healthied him and he's watching with his hand in the popcorn box. Sure they could trade him for a replacement, but why cave for a result that's not deemed worthy? Trading him today for 50% of his value, or 70% or 80%, doesn't make sense to me. Morrissey is adequate for now until he isn't.

I really feel like the message needs to be sent to future RFAs that they won't cater to this BS. I'm salty for sure, but Trouba has not put in the time to dictate where he gets to play. He's got 4 years to go before that happens, and if he sits out the year, it'll be 5 years. There hasn't even been a conversation regarding money this whole time if you believe the reports. This has always been a trade demand.

This situation is even further complicated because trading him for the value they deem worthy isn't going to be easy without a contract. Because he's RFA, any team that wants him is going to have to negotiate a contract first because they'd be foolish to trade for him without knowing he'll sign. Even if Trouba works out a deal with the Oilers, if the Jets don't like the trade offer, he doesn't get traded. Trouba has made a terrible mistake here.

Question, since you are in tr market: do the Jets match an offer sheet or take the picks?

I think they'd have to match. Draft picks just don't help the team enough.

I imagine the perfect thing for them would be to trade for a good left-shot defenceman. They're stacked on the right side. Fowler would make sense for the Jets, but not likely for the Ducks who need to clear salary. Bringing on another holdout in need of a raise isn't likely in the best interests for the Ducks.

If I'm Chiarelli, I'd be talking to them every day about a swap including Nurse though...Trouba has some offensive instincts, they could play him on the second pairing and the powerplay.

But sadly, I think the Oilers would insist on finding some way to lose a trade like that...maybe through in RNH?

That's why I wonder if as hard as they are too do, a 3 way is actually possible between the Jets- Ducks- Oilers. The Ducks are already struggling to get Rackell and Lindholm signed, so taking Trouba back for Fowler doesn't help at all. Even if they swapped Lindholm, it still wouldn't help them. The Jets want a plug and play Dman back for Trouba which I can understand. So I wonder if the Oilers could trade a Nurse or some combination of picks and prospects to the Ducks for Fowler because they really can't take back any salary and they as an organization are loaded on defense so they have a guy or 2 that can come up and play. Then flip him for Trouba to the Jets.

I just think that if the Jets want a plug and play, comparable left shot dman back like they say, I am scratching my head as to which team has one available. Trading Klefbom makes no sense for the Oilers because all they are doing is strengthening the right and severely weakening the left. So they would be no farther ahead.

Shea Theodore and Darnell Nurse are familiar with each other too... (and looked great together in the World Juniors, which granted, means nothing).

Yup. They keep saying Theodore is the real deal.

I guess the question would be. If somehow this happened, would Trouba be OK to come to Edmonton? Is it a case he just wants out of Winnipeg or out of a Canadian hockey market?

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681066 is a reply to message #677276 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Jacob Trouba is re-signing in Winnipeg. Hearing two years, $3M AAV.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681067 is a reply to message #681066 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2016 13:31

Holy hell is that a steal of a deal for the Jets.
When I saw the $6m I assumed he was getting $6m per year but only signed for the two years, not $6m total.

Is he a UFA once that deal is done? Can't see him re-signing there after this deal is done.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681068 is a reply to message #681067 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 07 November 2016 13:36

When I saw the $6m I assumed he was getting $6m per year but only signed for the two years, not $6m total.

Is he a UFA once that deal is done? Can't see him re-signing there after this deal is done.

Sounds like the Jets have 1.8 years to trade Trouba or get nothing for him. Tick tock, Winnipeg. I can't imagine them getting any more for him than they can right now.

This is fine.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681069 is a reply to message #681068 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 07 November 2016 13:39

Sounds like the Jets have 1.8 years to trade Trouba or get nothing for him. Tick tock, Winnipeg. I can't imagine them getting any more for him than they can right now.

I'd say it's a genius contract by WPG. It gets him on the ice, but what it really does is make an already very valuable asset INSANELY valuable. At that AAV, he's worth a ton, and a metric crapton to a team who can extend him.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681090 is a reply to message #681069 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Yep, he is very tradable now. No contending team has to worry about fitting him under the cap, surely they can make room for an under 25 top 4 D making only 3M.

The Oilers are going to miss the boat again on this one, I think. Like we did with Hamilton and Leddy (not for lack of trying with Hamilton).

I do feel the Oilers are in a good position to deal something Winnipeg wants. An equal player, similar age, preferably left shot D. While Nurse is not equal, not a lot of other (any at all?) teams willing to give up their own young top 4 D. The Oilers and the Jets could get a much better balance if they found a way to make this deal.

We all like Nurse, but how is he going to crack the top 4 on the left side with Klefbom and Sekera here for years? With that gaping hole still there on the right, a trade like this would make so much sense to me.

But I fear Chiarelli is too scared to trade any of his toys that still have some shine (Draisaitl, Nurse, Puljujarvi), otherwise he would have done it by now.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681101 is a reply to message #681090 ]
Tue, 08 November 2016 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

This would be the same GM that traded Hall right? I think fear does not factor into Chiarelli decision making, just making the team better. Like all GM's he takes a leap of faith with trades, see Reinhart. I think that this trade would create to big a hole for the oilers, getting Trouba. Once we are in a position of at least even, if not strength, then we can fill specific holes. Right now the price for these defencemen is so high that it would cripple a team to get one. See asking price for Subban.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681109 is a reply to message #681090 ]
Tue, 08 November 2016 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2016 20:18

Yep, he is very tradable now. No contending team has to worry about fitting him under the cap, surely they can make room for an under 25 top 4 D making only 3M.

The Oilers are going to miss the boat again on this one, I think. Like we did with Hamilton and Leddy (not for lack of trying with Hamilton).

I do feel the Oilers are in a good position to deal something Winnipeg wants. An equal player, similar age, preferably left shot D. While Nurse is not equal, not a lot of other (any at all?) teams willing to give up their own young top 4 D. The Oilers and the Jets could get a much better balance if they found a way to make this deal.

We all like Nurse, but how is he going to crack the top 4 on the left side with Klefbom and Sekera here for years? With that gaping hole still there on the right, a trade like this would make so much sense to me.

But I fear Chiarelli is too scared to trade any of his toys that still have some shine (Draisaitl, Nurse, Puljujarvi), otherwise he would have done it by now.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nurse passes Sekera on the depth chart next year, perhaps by the end of this year.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681208 is a reply to message #681109 ]
Wed, 09 November 2016 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 08 November 2016 09:39

It wouldn't surprise me if Nurse passes Sekera on the depth chart next year, perhaps by the end of this year.

I would trade Sekera and our 2017 first rounder for Trouba.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681255 is a reply to message #681208 ]
Wed, 09 November 2016 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Xombie wrote on Wed, 09 November 2016 08:37

I would do that in a millisecond.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681259 is a reply to message #681255 ]
Wed, 09 November 2016 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 09 November 2016 15:48

Would you if you were Sekera though? He's got a complete no-move clause. I don't see him waiving it to go to Winnipeg.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681260 is a reply to message #681259 ]
Wed, 09 November 2016 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 November 2016 15:18

Would you if you were Sekera though? He's got a complete no-move clause. I don't see him waiving it to go to Winnipeg.

Good point. Mac T's legacy continues.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681261 is a reply to message #681260 ]
Wed, 09 November 2016 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Wed, 09 November 2016 17:15

Can't blame MacT for Sekera's contract--he's a Chiarelli signing.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681263 is a reply to message #681260 ]
Wed, 09 November 2016 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

The Sekera signing was actually a Chiarelli signing.

And to be honest, I don't think it's been bad at all, NMC or not. He was the best defenseman on the market, was our best defenseman last year, and is a Top-3 this year. He bring bang for his buck, and is a pretty valuable part of that defense.

Would I trade him for Trouba? Probably.
Would I trade Nurse for Trouba? Nurse is showing some real good signs this year, but yeah, probably.

Will one of Klefbom, Sekera, or Nurse need to be moved eventually for a RHD? Maybe. It would certainly help balance things out. Or else you could just play a guy off-hand, thought this isn't ideal.

But I certainly have had no problems with Sekera. I think he's been a good signing for the team.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681286 is a reply to message #681263 ]
Thu, 10 November 2016 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 09 November 2016 16:20

The Sekera signing was actually a Chiarelli signing.

And to be honest, I don't think it's been bad at all, NMC or not. He was the best defenseman on the market, was our best defenseman last year, and is a Top-3 this year. He bring bang for his buck, and is a pretty valuable part of that defense.

Would I trade him for Trouba? Probably.
Would I trade Nurse for Trouba? Nurse is showing some real good signs this year, but yeah, probably.

Will one of Klefbom, Sekera, or Nurse need to be moved eventually for a RHD? Maybe. It would certainly help balance things out. Or else you could just play a guy off-hand, thought this isn't ideal.

But I certainly have had no problems with Sekera. I think he's been a good signing for the team.

Holy I thought Andrej had been here longer for some reason.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681262 is a reply to message #681259 ]
Wed, 09 November 2016 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 November 2016 16:18

You think Sekera would give up a shot to play with Laine? Doubt it.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681306 is a reply to message #681259 ]
Thu, 10 November 2016 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 November 2016 16:18

Really. Thank you, Craig. Not likely Winnipeg would jump at that either, unless that pick was projected to be in the top 5.

Speaking of the pick, it'd be interesting to know what was on the table last season that involved the 2016 1st round pick of the Edmonton Oilers....be interesting to know who Chia was shopping it for and what offers he had involving it.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681378 is a reply to message #681306 ]
Sat, 12 November 2016 00:22 Go to previous message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

That was a Chia signing.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681071 is a reply to message #681068 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 07 November 2016 12:39

According to NHL Numbers he'll still be RFA after 2 years:
http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/WPG?year=2017

Great deal for Winnipeg, plus it keeps them in control of the players rights even after the deal is up. You would have to think the Jets will be still trying to trade Trouba given the expansion draft. This deal however buys them time and puts the power back in the Jets camp. Some slick GM'ing on this one. If I'm Trouba I feel like a bit of a dolt. Probably left a pile of money on the table, and has to go back and face his teammates.

Re: Trouba requests trade [message #681072 is a reply to message #681068 ]
Mon, 07 November 2016 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I think the reported ask from the Jets GM was way too much but now that Trouba is signed to a cheap deal for the next 2 seasons, I think he's a bit easier to trade because at least the team knows for now what his contract will be. It's still a tough trade because he doesn't want to play in Canada and only so many team need a dman who many have the assets the Jets GM wants.

I think this was a case that the player gave in and wanted to play. Sitting at home skating with a university team does nothing for his value. I think the Jets are the one team that had the luxury of being able to wait given their defensive depth. Not many teams could wait it out like the Jets.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Trouble with Isles
Next Topic:Reinhart for Mcilrath?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca