This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for LarssonPages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677188 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Anyone else sick of Hall's whining?

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ taylor-hall-on-edmonton-oilers-i-still-hold-a-bitter-resentm ent-towards-them

Quote:

This just in from Chris Ryan of NJ.com, word from Taylor Hall that he’s no at all OK with being traded away from the Edmonton Oilers.

Indeed, Hall is pretty freakin’ far from OK.

“Just the way everything went down, I still hold a bitter resentment towards them,” said Hall today at the New Jersey Devils training camp.”

Get over it dude, it's a business. And it's pretty obvious now it's not only about how he wanted to be an Oiler. He thinks the trade was an insult towards him and he can't get past feeling slighted.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677190 is a reply to message #677188 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 14:06

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ taylor-hall-on-edmonton-oilers-i-still-hold-a-bitter-resentm ent-towards-them

Quote:

This just in from Chris Ryan of NJ.com, word from Taylor Hall that he’s no at all OK with being traded away from the Edmonton Oilers.

“Just the way everything went down, I still hold a bitter resentment towards them,” said Hall today at the New Jersey Devils training camp.”

Get over it dude, it's a business. And it's pretty obvious now it's not only about how he wanted to be an Oiler. He thinks the trade was an insult towards him and he can't get past feeling slighted.

Oh man. I was a big fan of Hall, his jersey which is currently hanging in my closet was the one I wore to every game but I am really starting to become disenchanted with Hall. I am really wondering if trading him wasn't all just about getting a good dman and maybe it had a little to do with his personality and getting him out of the room to clear the air. It's been 3 months, MOVE ON!! I can totally understand you being shocked, pissed and disappointed the day of the trade, even a month later. If you want to use that as motivation to have a great year, go for it, happens a ton. But still visibly sulking after 3 months!! I would expect him to come out and say its been 3 months, he's gotten over the shock, he's fired up for the start of the season, can't wait to get on the ice with his new teammates and expects to have a really good year. But to come out and say he's still mad, he still resents the team and the trade, if I was his teammate, I wouldn't be happy. Comes off as he is not happy to be there and comes off as him being a whiner.

Disappointing.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2016 14:39]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677192 is a reply to message #677190 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 14:24

Quote:

Oh man. I was a big fan of Hall, his jersey which is currently hanging in my closet was the one I wore to every game but I am really starting to become disenchanted with Hall. I am really wondering if trading him wasn't all just about getting a good dman and maybe it had a little to do with his personality and getting him out of the room to clear the air. It's been 3 months, MOVE ON!! I can totally understand you being shocked, pissed and disappointed the day of the trade, even a month later. If you want to use that as motivation to have a great year, go for it, happens a ton. But still visibly sulking after 3 months!! I would expect him to come out and say its been 3 months, he's gotten over the shock, he's fired up for the start of the season, can't wait to get on the ice with his new teammates and expects to have a really good year. But to come out and say he's still mad, he still resents the team and the trade, if I was his teammate, I wouldn't be happy. Comes off as he is not happy to be there and comes off as him being a whiner.

Disappointing.

It's weird, but I actually get a little satisfaction hearing players being angry about being traded away FROM Edmonton instead of the old troupe of being upset about being traded TO Edmonton. I guess I just had to live through to much of people throwing shade at playing here that I kind of enjoy being on the other end.

Absolutely it wouldn't be awesome hearing that as a Devils teammate though.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677193 is a reply to message #677192 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 14:37

Quote:

Disappointing.

It's weird, but I actually get a little satisfaction hearing players being angry about being traded away FROM Edmonton instead of the old troupe of being upset about being traded TO Edmonton. I guess I just had to live through to much of people throwing shade at playing here that I kind of enjoy being on the other end.

Is it even about being traded from the Oilers though? Or is it just how he can't get over how the trade made him look bad, and he would be as resentful no matter where he was traded from? I'm really thinking it's the latter, and if that's the case, good riddance, just another example of how it was good to get his personality out of the dressing room. I'm not seeing any garbage like this from Subban who I think has much more reason to be angry at Montreal, trading him right before his new deal came into effect.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2016 14:41]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677195 is a reply to message #677193 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 14:39

Quote:

Disappointing.

Is it even about being traded from the Oilers though? Or is it just how he can't get over how the trade made him look bad, and he would be as resentful no matter where he was traded from? I'm really thinking it's the latter, and if that's the case, good riddance, just another example of how it was good to get his personality out of the dressing room. I'm not seeing any garbage like this from Subban who I think has much more reason to be angry at Montreal, trading him right before his new deal came into effect.

I totally agree. Subban's reputation was dragged through the mud yet he's out in Nashville going to karaoke bars living it up and embracing his new City and team. Hall continues to tell everyone that will listen how he wishes he was still an Oiler.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677197 is a reply to message #677195 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 14:46

Quote:

Disappointing.

I totally agree. Subban's reputation was dragged through the mud yet he's out in Nashville going to karaoke bars living it up and embracing his new City and team. Hall continues to tell everyone that will listen how he wishes he was still an Oiler.

Hate to belabour the argument, but is it really that he wishes he was still an Oiler? He said to Gregor straight out he would never sign with the Oilers as a UFA. I don't think it's not being an Oiler that angers him, it's that someone made him look bad, like he was part of the problem with the team, and he can't get over that.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677217 is a reply to message #677195 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 13:46

Quote:

Disappointing.

Subban is in Nashville, on a really good team, better than the one he left, and a great city, lower taxes, more take home pay, of course he's loving it. Hall went from an up and coming team (hopefully!), new building, a place there was new hope, to New Jersey, a crap team, in a crap city. Hall is looking at another 5 years of no playoffs in NJ, of course he's bitter, so would I, he's just being honest. Plus he didn't get traded for Shea Freaking Weber, he got traded for someone most fans had to look up on hockeydb, that's telling you what management thinks of you as a player, hard pill.

Add that to wasting 5 years of your career on a poorly managed team, beating your head against a wall, trying your best with the hope of eventual light at the end of the black, stinking tunnel, finally seeing a flicker of it, and then you get stuck at the beginning of another tunnel, and I could see where resentment comes in.

He's a great player, he'll bounce back, but I totally understand being PO'd

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677222 is a reply to message #677217 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

I am still bitter about the trade and I can totally see why Hall is. As mentioned earlier, he should be upset. Better that then him being super happy to get out of town.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677225 is a reply to message #677222 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Didn't the Devils and Rangers play an outdoor game in the Stadium Series a couple years back?

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677227 is a reply to message #677225 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 18:41

Didn't the Devils and Rangers play an outdoor game in the Stadium Series a couple years back?

Shush you.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680188 is a reply to message #677222 ]
Thu, 27 October 2016 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V  is currently offline V

No Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 17:01

I am still bitter about the trade and I can totally see why Hall is. As mentioned earlier, he should be upset. Better that then him being super happy to get out of town.

Are you still bitter or have you finally understood why he was traded?

They could have given him away for nothing and the team would have been better off. That much should be clear by now.

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 April 2008 11:39

V is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Suck it J$.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680198 is a reply to message #680188 ]
Thu, 27 October 2016 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

6GP 5G 1A

Good for Hall

But Larsson and Lucic are part of this new team. I'm happy with how this has played out thus far.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680206 is a reply to message #680188 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

V wrote on Thu, 27 October 2016 20:44

They could have given him away for nothing and the team would have been better off. That much should be clear by now.

What makes you say this?

I still think we didn't get enough at the time, but the team looks completely different with the additions of Larsson and Russell. "POISE!!!" Larsson really is looking like a true top pairing dman out there - maybe Chia knew what he was doing after all.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680215 is a reply to message #680188 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

V wrote on Thu, 27 October 2016 17:44

I rarely agree with the concept of addition by subtraction in the NHL. Hall is not a perfect hockey player, and off the ice, I don't think he's a perfect person. From all the stories I've heard from people who've met him, know him, etc., I think he's an introvert trying to play an extrovert's role. I think he was somewhat spoiled here in Edmonton, as in his early years, management treated him with kid gloves and did little to curb any undesirable behaviour. I've heard a handful of first-hand accounts of girls who ran in to him at the bar, and it's clear he's not the most subtle of ladies' men, to say the least.

That said, he's a fantastic hockey player. He's capable of tilting the ice when he's out there like no player the Oilers have besides McDavid. He's a top-three LW in the game. I do not believe he was a defensive liability and he put up some pretty strong numbers in Edmonton despite A) playing on a bad team and B) playing on a team with a pretty crappy PP for most of his time here. A huge portion of his points were scored at even strength.

I think it's on the management, coaching and team leadership to rein a guy in if there are any personality issues that are a distraction, and does anyone feel that anyone in the Oilers organization ever tried to rein in their young stars the last few years? Post-Pronger, the Oilers seemed to believe that they needed to protect players from criticism and make sure they always had fun being here no matter the situation, so you have management singling them out as above criticism while throwing third and fourth liners under the bus. You have coaches returning them to the ice no matter what mistakes they made (other than squirting water on to Dallas Eakins' hair). You have media criticizing veterans for anything resembling normal NHL hazing of these players. When all that happens, you can't be shocked when players develop undesirable habits and feel that they can do no wrong.

Hall, like so many Oilers before him, has been tainted by all the losing. People see the player through the lens of someone who hasn't won anything in the NHL. I saw a stat this week that suggested the current winning record of the Devils means that Hall is on a team above .500 for the first time since 2012. But there's a lot of factors there that have nothing to do with Hall. We employed awful managers who made mistake after mistake after mistake. The players around the mythical core changed constantly, but rarely did the changes make the team better. They constantly blamed and changed the coach, until finally they picked the worst possible option and left him in place for a year and a half. For Hall to drag this team to the playoffs through all of that? It would have taken a miracle.

I don't think Hall was the problem, and while I like Larsson a lot, I still think we got taken to the woodshed on that trade. I still don't know how Chiarelli can say with a straight face that the other team got the best player today...and I didn't manage to even pry an extra draft pick back for him.

Oh wait...yes I do know. I would bet the whole thing went down sort of like this:

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680219 is a reply to message #680188 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

This team needs a Larsson, but I can't stop thinking about how lethal our top 9 would be with Hall on the left side still. I say this of course after the surprise of Russell and a "still healthy" Klefbom.

Concencus of course is that things needed to change and I find myself hoping Hall was a locker room cancer to ease the pain. Still, I think PC could have played a little more hardball with Shero. He had time to burn for working on Shero or other GM's. Were certain "execs" getting sick of boardrooms and catered meals? You have to think Shero was pretty big on getting Hall. His needs were almost as glaring as Chiarelli's.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2016 09:34]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680220 is a reply to message #680219 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 09:32

This team needs a Larsson, but I can't stop thinking about how lethal our top 9 would be with Hall on the right side still. I say this of course after the surprise of Russell and a "still healthy" Klefbom.

Concencus of course is that things needed to change and I find myself hoping Hall was a locker room cancer to ease the pain. Still, I think PC could have played a little more hardball with Shero. He had time to burn for working on Shero or other GM's. Were certain "execs" getting sick of boardrooms and catered meals? You have to think Shero was pretty big on getting Hall. His needs were almost as glaring as Chiarelli's.

I guess the one thing that Shero had going for him is that he hadn't said repeatedly in interviews that he was going to get a scoring forward, as Chiarelli promised here in Edmonton. I thought a strength for Chiarelli in his first season was not talking up what he needed but he fell apart on that in the spring.

Yes, it is definitely a hole that people could see, but I would have liked to see him answering all the questions on defence by saying that A) we're going to get Klefbom back, we're going to get Davidson back, we now know what we have in Davidson, which we didn't a year ago. Nurse is a year older...there's lots of reasons to think our defence will be good even if we can't make any additions. I think he could admit that if there was an upgrade there, that he'd take it, but make clear he wasn't going to overpay.

Instead, he repeatedly said that it was an area of weakness and one that he was confident that they'd be able to address. That led to increased scrutiny and a local media that was in a near panic as the draft came and went without a shiny new defenceman in the fold. I think he built up the pressure on himself, and then he too panicked and pulled the trigger on that deal.

That Seguin video still scares me, because you see him and his team make so many mistakes:

1) Everyone plays yes man. They don't talk about whether there are any other options but trading Seguin, and they just go around the room beating the player up to make themselves feel better about making the decision (not unlike what often happens on Oilfans after a player is dealt away).

2) The reason for making the deal disappears, but they continue anyhow. They needed Seguin's money for Horton, so once Horton signs with CBJ, there's no longer a need to deal Seguin, but they look at it as a decision that they made, and proceed anyhow.

3) There's no real time spent on what they need or what they believe Seguin is worth. The video says five minutes after they make the decision in the room, Chiarelli's on the phone trying to make a trade.

4) The ask from Chiarelli is badly made, and shows that his goal is moving Seguin, not acquiring something specific. If I'm another GM, I'm salivating at that scenario, because he's setting himself up to get a disappointing return.

Now, there's undoubtedly some editing that's taken place here. The Bruins won't want any other player names to show up in this video, and there's possibly things said about Seguin that they wouldn't want to be out there (although I question why you'd want anyone to see ANY of this if you're in Bruins management). But still, what we see here does not look good at all, and I wonder how many of these mistakes he made again when trading Hall.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680268 is a reply to message #680188 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

I am ecstatic that the Oilers are off to such a great start and will take a winning team without Hall over a losing team with Hall. However, like Hall, I wish he was still with the team to be part of the turnaround and I am not convinced he was part of the problem. The team's hot start cannot be 100% credited to the trade. A healthy older McDavid, a healthy Klef, Lucic, Russell, Talbot's play and a favourable schedule to start the year have all helped the team.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2016 16:58]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680269 is a reply to message #680268 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 16:51

I am ecstatic that the Oilers are off to such a great start and will take a winning team without Hall over a losing team with Hall. However, like Hall, I wish he was still with the team to be part of the turnaround and I am not convinced he was part of the problem. The team's hot start cannot be 100% credited to the trade. A healthy old McDavid, a healthy Klef, Lucic, Russell, Talbot's play and a favourable schedule to start the year have all helped the team.

Agreed. It's probably wise to not confuse correlation / causation in this case. Unlike previous years when it seemed like everything that went wrong did, this year everything seems to be aligning for the Oilers to start the season. There's a lot of external factors that have contributed to their success, probably far more than the Hall/Larsson trade.

That said, Larsson is a welcome addition. I still would have tried moving out other pieces before Hall, so I don't love the trade, but if the Oilers keep winning, I think most fans will learn to live with it.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680271 is a reply to message #680269 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 16:56

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 16:51

I am ecstatic that the Oilers are off to such a great start and will take a winning team without Hall over a losing team with Hall. However, like Hall, I wish he was still with the team to be part of the turnaround and I am not convinced he was part of the problem. The team's hot start cannot be 100% credited to the trade. A healthy old McDavid, a healthy Klef, Lucic, Russell, Talbot's play and a favourable schedule to start the year have all helped the team.

Agreed. It's probably wise to not confuse correlation / causation in this case. Unlike previous years when it seemed like everything that went wrong did, this year everything seems to be aligning for the Oilers to start the season. There's a lot of external factors that have contributed to their success, probably far more than the Hall/Larsson trade.

That said, Larsson is a welcome addition. I still would have tried moving out other pieces before Hall, so I don't love the trade, but if the Oilers keep winning, I think most fans will learn to live with it.

Yeah, I look at the team and the way they've played and it looks like the biggest factors are A) McDavid being absolutely dominant every time he's on the ice and B) Cam Talbot playing very well early. Larsson has been good, but as long as whoever was in his place wasn't a complete tire fire, then I don't know how big the drop off is.

It's nearly impossible to gauge whether the results are different if the trade didn't happen, because that move shaped the rest of the summer's transactions. The Oilers decided not to go all in on Jason Demers, and focused on other parts of the roster.

Does anyone think that New Jersey would undo the trade given the option now?

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680274 is a reply to message #680271 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V  is currently offline V

No Cups

Hall might actually be amazing in Jersey, and that's great. I haven't seen any Jersey games this year, but I'm not surprised to see that Hall is a PPG player with a negative +/-.

He was a defensive disaster, and was an entitled brat that needed a location change before he could change his state of mind. And this entitled brat was a leader in the locker room. There should be no surprise the team was a loser with him, and changed 180 degrees when he left.

It should also be no surprise that Hall was the one traded. It should even be more obvious that Hall was the problem when you see what he was traded for. Everyone knew he was available, and that was the market for him.

One cancerous leader can destroy an organization. Nothing rights the ship faster than cutting out the cancer.

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 April 2008 11:39

V is quite possibly the best poster on Oilfans.

Suck it J$.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680331 is a reply to message #680274 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

V wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 19:41

Hall might actually be amazing in Jersey, and that's great. I haven't seen any Jersey games this year, but I'm not surprised to see that Hall is a PPG player with a negative +/-.

He was a defensive disaster, and was an entitled brat that needed a location change before he could change his state of mind. And this entitled brat was a leader in the locker room. There should be no surprise the team was a loser with him, and changed 180 degrees when he left.

It should also be no surprise that Hall was the one traded. It should even be more obvious that Hall was the problem when you see what he was traded for. Everyone knew he was available, and that was the market for him.

One cancerous leader can destroy an organization. Nothing rights the ship faster than cutting out the cancer.

Fully agree with all of that. I truly believe there IS NO "turnaround" with Hall still in the lineup. He would've continued to drag others down just with his presence & bad habits alone.

He needed a change of scenery to reevaluate his perspective on the game, etc.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680332 is a reply to message #680331 ]
Sat, 29 October 2016 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sat, 29 October 2016 07:26

V wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 19:41

Fully agree with all of that. I truly believe there IS NO "turnaround" with Hall still in the lineup. He would've continued to drag others down just with his presence & bad habits alone.

He needed a change of scenery to reevaluate his perspective on the game, etc.

One thing I will admit. Things that were wrong with the former dynamic of this team was Hall would repeat the same dumb mistakes with occasional reprimand and continue to the beat of his own drum while Yakupov would be held to a completely different set of rules.

You can't have those kinds of inconsistencies in the room. The latest coach made strides, but PC physically removed that dynamic from upstairs. Still kinda had his sweatpants yanked down, but just saying there is still some value in how you can adjust culture in certain transactions along with addressing a need.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677231 is a reply to message #677217 ]
Fri, 23 September 2016 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 16:29

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 13:46

Quote:

Disappointing.

Subban is in Nashville, on a really good team, better than the one he left, and a great city, lower taxes, more take home pay, of course he's loving it. Hall went from an up and coming team (hopefully!), new building, a place there was new hope, to New Jersey, a crap team, in a crap city. Hall is looking at another 5 years of no playoffs in NJ, of course he's bitter, so would I, he's just being honest. Plus he didn't get traded for Shea Freaking Weber, he got traded for someone most fans had to look up on hockeydb, that's telling you what management thinks of you as a player, hard pill.

Add that to wasting 5 years of your career on a poorly managed team, beating your head against a wall, trying your best with the hope of eventual light at the end of the black, stinking tunnel, finally seeing a flicker of it, and then you get stuck at the beginning of another tunnel, and I could see where resentment comes in.

He's a great player, he'll bounce back, but I totally understand being PO'd

Completely agree. I can see where he's coming from.

And I totally expected some fans to start acting like some of the media after management ships an impact player out of town. For media, it's sucking up to management. For fans, it's an aid to make themselves feel better about a bad decision.

I don't think you will hear much more griping from Hall.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #678982 is a reply to message #677231 ]
Thu, 13 October 2016 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Hall with 0 pts, 2 SOG, -1, 20min TOI in his Devils debut.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677203 is a reply to message #677193 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 15:39

^^ Agreed completely..though it may be a combination of both.

Of the 6 million dollar guys on the roster, I think Hall was always the main target to be traded. I know Chiarelli reassured the media that Hall was likely a keeper after his hot streak playing with Draisaitl mid-season. That was likely a pre-meditated disguise however; Hall was likely the odd man out with Chiarelli needing a full season to evaluate the roster.

Hall's locker room presence very much likely had something to do with it.

Here are my observations if we're looking to compare the three 6 mill guys though:

Similarities
1) Puck dominant players
2) Preference to hover around the perimeter away from dirty areas
3) Not strong enough in the corners
4) Not strong enough on the puck likely in need of not just big but skilled big players who can play in the top 6 such as a Maroon/Pouliot/Lucic

Key Difference
With a preference to be puck dominant players on the perimeter, Hallsy was arguably the worst playmaker of the three. An added bonus to RNH is his effective back checking. Hall could make up for his lack of playmaking on the perimeter with more hustle defensively, but its just not up to par despite everyone kissing his rear end for supposedly playing the best two way game of his career last season. I think this was the key factor in why #4 was traded opposed to RNH & Ebs.

Chiarelli of course wanted to build a bigger team on the top 6 opposed to just adding more muscle on the 3rd/4th lines much like what Tambellini/Mac-T did for years. The Oilers now have that skill/size combo in Pouliot, Maroon, and Lucic; in order to compliment bigger top 6 guys who can play down low & be stronger in the corners, you need quick effective playmakers like an RNH or Ebs who can excel in open space. Hall was definitely the weakest link in that regards.

Hall is at his best when using his force to drive the puck to the net; unfortunately, he wasn't able to deal with the physical aspects of that while constantly peeling off of contact making him less effective. He doesn't necessarily have to be as big & physically strong as say a Lucic...but look at guys like Holmstrom, Smyth, and Hornqvist. Not necessarily the biggest fellas though they've had great careers absorbing contact while crashing the net thus creating more space for their more puck dominant playmakers.

Instead of driving to the net for fear of dealing with contact, Hall had a tendency to overcompensate by trying to create too many plays by himself which lead to turnovers. This doesn't count the many times he's also carelessly turned the puck over in transition as well.

In conclusion, sending Hall for Larsson was simply a "hockey trade" that had to be done.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2016 15:26]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677194 is a reply to message #677192 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Quote:

Disappointing.

What's going to happen when the Oilers have their home opener in their brand new building, which will be the crown jewel of the NHL for this season. Bettman and all the NHL execs will probably be there because they had a hand in helping it get negotiated so it will probably be broadcast all over the NHL networks. Will Hall be sitting in the dark in a ball or kicking holes in the wall because he had to play in the hole that was Rexal all those years but now he is missing out because you know he will be asked about it. The crowds in Edmonton will be electric and sold out, while he plays to half empty buildings.

What about when the Oilers play in Winnipeg in October in the heritage classic which will for sure be on all networks. Hall didn't get to play in one of those and as long as he is a Devil probably will never play in one because who is going to play the Devils as a rival in one of those. What legends do the Devils have that people will want to see. They won the cup by trapping the crap out of it and Brodeur standing on his head. Is Hall going to throw himself around because you know they will ask him about it.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2016 14:42]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677209 is a reply to message #677194 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 15:40

What about when the Oilers play in Winnipeg in October in the heritage classic which will for sure be on all networks. Hall didn't get to play in one of those and as long as he is a Devil probably will never play in one because who is going to play the Devils as a rival in one of those. What legends do the Devils have that people will want to see. They won the cup by trapping the crap out of it and Brodeur standing on his head. Is Hall going to throw himself around because you know they will ask him about it.

Are you sure about the bolded?? The Devils have three Stanley Cups and could easily ice an alumni team that's worth watching. Off the top of my head:

Patrick Elias, Jason Arnott, Petr Sykora, Claude Lemieux, Kirk Muller, Neil Broten. Stephane Richer, Scott Gomez, Alex Mogilny, Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko, Martin Brodeur, Chris Terreri, Brian Rafalski...I'm sure I forgot some good ones too.

I think you're right about the league probably not wanting to showcase their CURRENT team, but their alumni team would be good.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677211 is a reply to message #677209 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 15:41

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 15:40

Are you sure about the bolded?? The Devils have three Stanley Cups and could easily ice an alumni team that's worth watching. Off the top of my head:

Patrick Elias, Jason Arnott, Petr Sykora, Claude Lemieux, Kirk Muller, Neil Broten. Stephane Richer, Scott Gomez, Alex Mogilny, Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Ken Daneyko, Martin Brodeur, Chris Terreri, Brian Rafalski...I'm sure I forgot some good ones too.

I think you're right about the league probably not wanting to showcase their CURRENT team, but their alumni team would be good.

Maybe, I just don't see a natural rival where people would flock to see then. Rangers - Islanders make sense but does anyone care about the Devils is all I am saying. They were a good team for a long, long time and no one seemed to go watch them.

Watching super pest Lemieux, defensively Kirk Muller, mediocre Scott Gomez, shot blocker Ken Daneyko, doesn't exactly excite me. You missed the ultimate 2 way center back then Bobby Holik. I just personally hated the Devils style. They were the ultimate example of how a coach can come up with a system to kill exciting hockey and have it win. They had a couple of really good dmen, a few decent but mostly not overly spectacular forwards, an all world goalie but played a style of drag you down, clog up the middle, choke out any offense style and it worked.

If you think about it, they still play that crap hockey. They have a top end, stand on his head goalie. They don't score a lot of goals and according to all the advanced stats guys, they play a non attack, shot suppressing style.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2016 16:12]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677196 is a reply to message #677192 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 13:37

Quote:

Disappointing.

I think it's possible that he's just really disappointed that he won't be apart of the team when it's finally (hopefully) a contender, especially after suffering through some crap years only to be traded to a team that's arguably trending downwards. Still, I think for the sake of his new team he should be saying the generic answers in front of cameras. Keep his pouting to his private circle of peeps.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677199 is a reply to message #677196 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 14:46

Quote:

Disappointing.

I think it's possible that he's just really disappointed that he won't be apart of the team when it's finally (hopefully) a contender, especially after suffering through some crap years only to be traded to a team that's arguably trending downwards. Still, I think for the sake of his new team he should be saying the generic answers in front of cameras. Keep his pouting to his private circle of peeps.

Hit it on the head. I just think at this point with the new season ready to start, time for media, Hall, and us as fans to move on. Two things that will end up selling me on this deal will be Larsson being the real deal fairly quickly and a playoff appearance. Other than that, like other Oilers traded out of here (even Gretzky), Hall is just another player on another team.....dead to me from a fan perspective.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677202 is a reply to message #677196 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 22 September 2016 14:46

Quote:

Disappointing.

I look at the Devils line up and I still think it's weak on offense. Adding Hall helps but I doubt Palmieri scores 30 goals again. Who's their second line? Zajac, Cammaleri? Plus they have to find someone to take Larsson's minutes which is a huge hole. Getting Schneider back will help but I don't see the Devils as a playoff team, probably near the bottom 1/3. So If I am the GM of the Devils, I am concerned. What happens to Hall if the Devils are struggling a bit and the Oilers start winning? I don't expect the Oilers to be a lock for playoffs but I expect them to be flirting with the playoffs. So if the Devils aren't challenging, the Oilers are closing in plus the brand new building, Hall is an emotional guy. We all see how much his play is affected when he isn't in the right frame of mind.

Gregor being Gregor is sluffing it off as nothing. If you want to use it as fuel, you use words like playing them hard, being amped up, extra motivation. If you are still complaining about it and talking about how resentful you still are, it means its still on your mind and its eating at you which isn't a good thing.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2016 15:18]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #677210 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 22 September 2016 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I think fans would show up if it were Isles, Rangers or Flyers. The proximity would make it feasible if it was at the Meadowlands, Yankee Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, or Mets Stadium

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2016 16:02]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #679027 is a reply to message #677210 ]
Fri, 14 October 2016 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Pretty pedestrian start to Hall in New Jersey. They lose 2-1. Hall played over 20 mins, had 2 shots, -1, no points. I will be keeping a close eye on him to see how he does.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680185 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 27 October 2016 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

http://www.tsn.ca/hall-adjusting-to-new-normal-in-new-jersey -1.593979

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680214 is a reply to message #680185 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 27 October 2016 17:09

So he still feels he didn't deserve to be the one traded. Reporters really should follow up by asking him who he felt should have been the one to go. Which valuable piece on the team does Hall think deserved to go before him to fix the D.

Quote:

“It’s tough,” Hall said. “I put a lot into my time there. I didn’t want to get traded. But they had to do what they had to do. I don’t think I felt like a scapegoat. I just felt like I was shortchanged in the fact that I had been there for so long and now that they had Connor they were finally making that step and I’m the one that gets let go?”

Don't get me wrong, I get his frustration. Everyone wants to ride the McDavid wave. But, he really should not keep saying this stuff. It's unprofessional and shows bad character. He's suggesting he feels he was special in some way on the team and deserved special treatment. Leave that for the fans to argue about, your job is to pay the game on the team that owns your contract while you enjoy your 6M/year salary.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2016 08:33]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680224 is a reply to message #680214 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 08:20

So he still feels he didn't deserve to be the one traded. Reporters really should follow up by asking him who he felt should have been the one to go. Which valuable piece on the team does Hall think deserved to go before him to fix the D.

Quote:

“It’s tough,” Hall said. “I put a lot into my time there. I didn’t want to get traded. But they had to do what they had to do. I don’t think I felt like a scapegoat. I just felt like I was shortchanged in the fact that I had been there for so long and now that they had Connor they were finally making that step and I’m the one that gets let go?”

Don't get me wrong, I get his frustration. Everyone wants to ride the McDavid wave. But, he really should not keep saying this stuff. It's unprofessional and shows bad character. He's suggesting he feels he was special in some way on the team and deserved special treatment. Leave that for the fans to argue about, your job is to pay the game on the team that owns your contract while you enjoy your 6M/year salary.

I couldn't agree more. I think I posted in here a month ago when Hall came out saying he was still upset at camp that Hall needs to get over it. I also somewhat kidding said that when the Oilers open their new swanky building without Hall and they go to the Heritage Classic and Hall isn't there and he watches all of that, I half expected him to kick a few holes in some walls and then curl up into a ball on the floor. Well based on these latest comments, I probably wasn't that far off.

June 29th was the trade. It's not been 4 months and he's still upset by it. The worst part is, you expect a player to be "upset" in that he is really motivated and wants to come out and have a good game against his former team to say "you made a mistake". Happens all the time. But he's actually pouting! "No fair, they were crap when I was here but now are good for Conner". Are you freaking kidding me!!

If I am the Devils vets and management, I am taking him aside and telling him he needs to stop. The good thing is he is playing really well but I can't imagine it is good for their room. There was rumors for years that Hall in the dressing room was the emotional compass of the room. When he was feeling good, everything was rosy but when he was upset or down in the dumps, the team sank. If your best player is standing in front of the media actually pouting about wishing he was an Oiler still and maybe sulking a bit in the dressing room, that is going to spread. I appreciate he's a passionate guy but what teammate is going to want to go through a wall for you when you are telling everyone you wish you weren't there.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2016 11:30]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680225 is a reply to message #680224 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

No Cups

5 goals in 6 games. I guess hes adjusting alright.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680226 is a reply to message #680225 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 11:28

5 goals in 6 games. I guess hes adjusting alright.

Hall was always good when he was an Oiler on the ice, the problem was there was rumors and it has been confirmed by previous players that the dressing room was fractured. If you best player is standing in front of the media and saying he wishes he was still an Oiler, do you think their dressing room is going to be united? Not a chance.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680228 is a reply to message #680224 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 11:16

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. I think I posted in here a month ago when Hall came out saying he was still upset at camp that Hall needs to get over it. I also somewhat kidding said that when the Oilers open their new swanky building without Hall and they go to the Heritage Classic and Hall isn't there and he watches all of that, I half expected him to kick a few holes in some walls and then curl up into a ball on the floor. Well based on these latest comments, I probably wasn't that far off.

June 29th was the trade. It's not been 4 months and he's still upset by it. The worst part is, you expect a player to be "upset" in that he is really motivated and wants to come out and have a good game against his former team to say "you made a mistake". Happens all the time. But he's actually pouting! "No fair, they were crap when I was here but now are good for Conner". Are you freaking kidding me!!

If I am the Devils vets and management, I am taking him aside and telling him he needs to stop. The good thing is he is playing really well but I can't imagine it is good for their room. There was rumors for years that Hall in the dressing room was the emotional compass of the room. When he was feeling good, everything was rosy but when he was upset or down in the dumps, the team sank. If your best player is standing in front of the media actually pouting about wishing he was an Oiler still and maybe sulking a bit in the dressing room, that is going to spread. I appreciate he's a passionate guy but what teammate is going to want to go through a wall for you when you are telling everyone you wish you weren't there.

The thing is, he keeps getting asked about it. He's clearly wearing his heart on his sleeve here, but I've left a work position before where I felt bitter about the end, so I understand that those feelings don't go away quickly.

I don't think anyone should lose any sleep over Hall still being annoyed that he got traded. I would guess that that sentiment is often the case, but A) people don't ask as often (has anyone at any point asked Larsson about his feelings about the trade and about New Jersey feeling he was the one who was expendable???) and B) most players would be less honest about it.

He at no point said he wished he wasn't in New Jersey, so I don't think his Devils teammates are going to be broken up about these comments...especially considering that he's scored almost half the goals that the team has so far this year.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680230 is a reply to message #680228 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 11:35

Quote:

The thing is, he keeps getting asked about it. He's clearly wearing his heart on his sleeve here, but I've left a work position before where I felt bitter about the end, so I understand that those feelings don't go away quickly.

I don't think anyone should lose any sleep over Hall still being annoyed that he got traded. I would guess that that sentiment is often the case, but A) people don't ask as often (has anyone at any point asked Larsson about his feelings about the trade and about New Jersey feeling he was the one who was expendable???) and B) most players would be less honest about it.

He at no point said he wished he wasn't in New Jersey, so I don't think his Devils teammates are going to be broken up about these comments...especially considering that he's scored almost half the goals that the team has so far this year.

They keep asking him the question because he keeps whining about being traded. He doesn't have to answer the question, it's not the law. If he chooses to answer it, all he has to say like a professional would do is. "I was there for a long time. I have friends on the team so I do keep track of the team. I am glad they are doing well." Then when he gets asked if he is still bitter about the trade, he says. "It was 4 months ago, I have moved on and my focus is on my new team and a new chapter in my life." That's what an adult professional says. You don't go into detail how you feel you were shortchanged when you were there and how unfair it is that you were the first one to go, especially since they are winning. He might has well stick his fingers in his ears and stomp around the room saying "no fair, no fair."

Let's face facts here. Even if a person hates the Hall trade, Hall was the only player other than McDavid who had any kind of value. Nobody is trading a dman remotely good for any of the dmen they had, including Nurse. Even Klefbom who was still a bit unproven and was coming off a major injury. Nobody is trading a dman remotely good for Nuge or Eberle or any other forward. So unless you want to trade off 3 or 4 assets, to get one guy, trading Hall was the only option they had.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2016 11:55]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #680235 is a reply to message #680230 ]
Fri, 28 October 2016 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 11:52

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 October 2016 11:35

Quote:

They keep asking him the question because he keeps whining about being traded. He doesn't have to answer the question, it's not the law. If he chooses to answer it, all he has to say like a professional would do is. "I was there for a long time. I have friends on the team so I do keep track of the team. I am glad they are doing well." Then when he gets asked if he is still bitter about the trade, he says. "It was 4 months ago, I have moved on and my focus is on my new team and a new chapter in my life." That's what an adult professional says. You don't go into detail how you feel you were shortchanged when you were there and how unfair it is that you were the first one to go, especially since they are winning. He might has well stick his fingers in his ears and stomp around the room saying "no fair, no fair."

Let's face facts here. Even if a person hates the Hall trade, Hall was the only player other than McDavid who had any kind of value. Nobody is trading a dman remotely good for any of the dmen they had, including Nurse. Even Klefbom who was still a bit unproven and was coming off a major injury. Nobody is trading a dman remotely good for Nuge or Eberle or any other forward. So unless you want to trade off 3 or 4 assets, to get one guy, trading Hall was the only option they had.

I love it. If you guys want non-answers, why even bother reading/listening to the interviews? I'm glad that he's upset that he is missing out here. It shows that he wanted to be here all along. The commitment was there. It shows that superstars want to play for the Oilers. Given the picture Lucic painted of how the rest of the league sees the Oilers, Hall's pouting is good advertising.

Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible
Next Topic:Larsson a Kraken
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca