Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Expansion Draft Rules
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Expansion Draft Rules [message #672932]
Wed, 22 June 2016 15:21 Go to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-2810105 92?tid=281011650

Here are the rules. They added a minimum of 40-70 games played for atleast 1 dman & 2 forwards. Plus, you can expose a player who hasn't played 60 games in the last 1-2 years that has what is considered a career ending injury.

Interesting times!

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #672942 is a reply to message #672932 ]
Wed, 22 June 2016 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Interesting that they will consider Las Vegas as effectively the 3rd worst team in the standings with respect to where they are slotted in the 2017 entry draft and draft lottery.

Here's where previous expansion teams were slotted:

Minnesota/Columbus (2000): 2nd/3rd (though they moved down to 3rd/4th when NY Islanders won the lottery)
Atlanta (1999): 2nd (though they won the lottery and got the 1st pick)
Nashville (1998): 2nd
Anaheim/Florida (1993): 4th/5th
Tampa Bay/Ottawa (1992): 1st/2nd
San Jose (1991): 2nd

And of course the WHA expansion where they just shafted the four new teams:

Hartford/Winnipeg/Quebec/Edmonton (1979): 18th/19th/20th/21st

Although this wasn't a full expansion since these teams did already have some players from their WHA days (although many were stripped from them by the other NHL teams in a dispersal draft).

I remember 1991 was the Lindros year, and there was no way they were going to let the new kid San Jose draft first and get him--thus putting them in the 2nd spot. The 1992 draft had no run away favourites which is why I think Tampa Bay and Ottawa were allowed the top two picks. Not sure why they made Anaheim and Florida go all the way down to 4th/5th after giving Tampa and Ottawa 1/2 the year before. I'm guessing Alexandre Daigle (who was thought a generational player at the time) had a lot to do with it again.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2016 16:09]

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #672943 is a reply to message #672932 ]
Wed, 22 June 2016 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mad90  is currently offline mad90

No Cups

"* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

Which is held on June 20-21, 2017

"* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League."

Does this apply to Ference? Does the career-ending injury override the no-movement clause?

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #672946 is a reply to message #672943 ]
Wed, 22 June 2016 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

AF's contract is over at the end of the season and is a ufa, how many times does this need to be rehashed

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #672952 is a reply to message #672946 ]
Wed, 22 June 2016 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

HipHopHopkins wrote on Wed, 22 June 2016 17:39

AF's contract is over at the end of the season and is a ufa, how many times does this need to be rehashed

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2013/1/28/Khan.gif

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #672962 is a reply to message #672952 ]
Wed, 22 June 2016 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Yeah, but he's the captain, sooooo

This is fine.

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #673011 is a reply to message #672962 ]
Thu, 23 June 2016 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

So as the GM of this team, do you select your players to try to build the best team possible right away, or do you take all the best players you can, and THEN build your team with trades of those players? I'm thinking the latter.

I think this must be a GM's fantasy, getting to pick 30 (?) players from all the other teams' "leftovers"

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #673013 is a reply to message #672962 ]
Thu, 23 June 2016 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 June 2016 21:33

Yeah, but he's the captain, sooooo

Who? Ference? Or Kirk?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #674182 is a reply to message #672932 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Just wanted to give a shout out to MacT. I think we all came to terms with how it maybe isn't such a bad thing to have burned a year of Drai's ELC, as long as we kept the RFA years. But who would have thought it was also the difference between having to protect Drai or not in the expansion draft?

Nicely done MacT, your legend lives on!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #674187 is a reply to message #674182 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 11:25

Just wanted to give a shout out to MacT. I think we all came to terms with how it maybe isn't such a bad thing to have burned a year of Drai's ELC, as long as we kept the RFA years. But who would have thought it was also the difference between having to protect Drai or not in the expansion draft?

Sure does seem like an even more boneheaded move now. Well at least we dont have to protect Hall anymore.............

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #674195 is a reply to message #674187 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mad90  is currently offline mad90

No Cups

PoolParty wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 11:40

Sure does seem like an even more boneheaded move now. Well at least we dont have to protect Hall anymore.............

But we gotta to protect Larsson now. Oilers would have to go the 8 skaters 1 goalie route. Currently: Eberle, RNH, Maroon, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Davidson and Talbot. Thats before we sign Lucic and Demers if that happens...

Ya MacT F'ed up on Draisaitl contract, could of been on the except list

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #674200 is a reply to message #674182 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Drai's rookie year really is the gift that keeps on giving. Although I heard Rishaug say (on Gregor's show) that's MacTavish has paid enough of a price for his mistakes and should be left alone.

This is fine.

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #674208 is a reply to message #674200 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

So they are drinking buddies?

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #674274 is a reply to message #674208 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

sloiler wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 13:37

So they are drinking buddies?

I would guess there's a reluctance to crush a good source.

This is fine.

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #674813 is a reply to message #672932 ]
Wed, 06 July 2016 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I've been thinking about the expansion draft, and I wonder if we're not going to see a lot less deals signed during the year with players who are facing impending unrestricted free agents status. If you really wanted to keep a player, you'd be better off doing a handshake deal and leaving them unsigned past the expansion draft. This way, you wouldn't have to protect them and you've freed up a spot to protect someone else, and they'd be an incredibly risky pick for the Las Vegas team, because if they don't sign them, they're gone for nothing (unless the NHL gives them a side deal where they get extra draft picks for any UFA they pick in the expansion draft who signs elsewhere in the summer.)

Because the expansion draft will be held ahead of free agency opening (and really, it has to go first) so teams can replenish knowing what hole has been opened up), you could see something like Expansion draft on June 15th, and a spate of deals signed on the 16th with free agents who are playing ball with their team. It's in their best interest anyhow - most players won't want to be picked by the expansion team, which is unlikely to be very good for the first couple of years.

I wonder if the NHL does anything to prevent that happening, such as make a moratorium on signing deals with even your own UFAs from the expansion draft until the free agency period opens. It wouldn't stop that from happening, but it adds an element of risk because if you're Brent Burns, for example and have a handshake deal with the Sharks, that could fall apart if someone else blows your mind with a different offer.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. With the salary cap and free agency at 27 rather than 31, there's just so many more moving parts than there was with prior expansions.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Expansion Draft Rules [message #675255 is a reply to message #674813 ]
Fri, 22 July 2016 12:53 Go to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 July 2016 16:44

I've been thinking about the expansion draft, and I wonder if we're not going to see a lot less deals signed during the year with players who are facing impending unrestricted free agents status. If you really wanted to keep a player, you'd be better off doing a handshake deal and leaving them unsigned past the expansion draft. This way, you wouldn't have to protect them and you've freed up a spot to protect someone else, and they'd be an incredibly risky pick for the Las Vegas team, because if they don't sign them, they're gone for nothing (unless the NHL gives them a side deal where they get extra draft picks for any UFA they pick in the expansion draft who signs elsewhere in the summer.)

Because the expansion draft will be held ahead of free agency opening (and really, it has to go first) so teams can replenish knowing what hole has been opened up), you could see something like Expansion draft on June 15th, and a spate of deals signed on the 16th with free agents who are playing ball with their team. It's in their best interest anyhow - most players won't want to be picked by the expansion team, which is unlikely to be very good for the first couple of years.

I think this is exactly what will happen. You may have a few 'franchise', cornerstone guys like Brent Burns locked up to an extension and protected - those are pieces you simply can't lose - but the depth players that you build around those guys... there might be handshake deals in place, but I expect they'll be signed after the expansion draft.

Take the Oilers and Matt Hendricks for example. Maybe he's a guy they decide to keep on a 1 or 2 year deal (for cheaper). If they are smart, that deal doesn't get signed until post-expansion draft.

Previous Topic:New Allegations against Evander Kane
Next Topic:J. Benn signs extension with Dallas, 8 for $76M
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca