F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Free Agency Thread
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Free Agency Thread [message #674279]
Fri, 01 July 2016 10:07 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

We have Ladd to NYI for 7 years at 5.5M per year.

Reimer to Florida for 5 years for 3.4M per year.

That's a good deal for Florida looking on the outside. That's seems cheap.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674287 is a reply to message #674279 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Perron back to St. Louis. 2 years at 3.75M per year.

I may prefer this to the Lucic signing. Perron is coming off of a bad year but he's a good left wing who we know can score 20 goals. And he comes so much cheaper.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674289 is a reply to message #674287 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

Canuck sign Eriksson 6x6

Renaissance 2015

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674877 is a reply to message #674289 ]
Fri, 08 July 2016 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

ChasinStanley wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 10:16

Canuck sign Eriksson 6x6

The more I think about the Loui Eriksson deal, the more I question if Linden and Benning have any idea at all what they're doing. They seem to be ready for a rebuild - they've let go guys like Kesler and Bieksa - and the window is closing on the Sedins. They'll both be 36 years old when next season starts. For both guys, the numbers have started to droop. Burrows is 35 and Ryan Miller turns 36 next season. Their core is ancient by NHL standards.

So why bring in a guy who's 32 and sign him to a six year deal? Ericksson might be good enough to help them win a few more games next year, and he replaces the equally old Radim Vrbata, but the Canucks were the second worst team in the West last year (behind our own Edmonton Oilers!) and the addition of Ericksson is not going to be able to propel them well up the standings. He may help them just enough to worsen their lottery odds the next couple of years, and then as he gets older, he'll just be a boat anchor for a team that at some point in the not-so-distant future doesn't have the Sedins any more, or has a version of them that are well below what we've come to expect.

It is nice to see incompetence take over in the management of someone else's team for a change - especially a divisional rival!

Speaking of incompetence, the Seguin deal now looks like so:

Dallas: Tyler Seguin (Rich Peverly was forced to retire, and Ryan Button is playing in Europe now)

Boston: Joe Morrow & Jimmy Hayes (Matt Fraser was waived away, Reilly Smith traded for Hayes and now Ericksson left as UFA)

That's a tough pill to swallow if you're a Bruins fan.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674881 is a reply to message #674877 ]
Fri, 08 July 2016 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 July 2016 09:04

The more I think about the Loui Eriksson deal, the more I question if Linden and Benning have any idea at all what they're doing.

As much as it pains me to defend Canuck management in any respect, the conventional wisdom around here is that it's really the owner, Aquilini, pulling the strings. And the directive from him has been that the goal is to make the playoffs each year (and reap the lucrative playoff revenue), regardless of how that impacts the future.

Quote:

Owner Francesco Aquilini didn’t want the Canucks to gutter, like division rivals in Edmonton and Calgary, teams that had missed the playoffs for years. So the strategy was a running rebuild – signing expensive free agents in their 30s to chase the playoffs while reviving the aging roster.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/how-the-vancouv er-canucks-have-been-trying-to-rebuild-without-pain/article2 9487608/

Personally, I think this strategy is going to blow up in his face as the Canucks are likely to be terrible again this year, and with no hope for the immediate future, we may start seeing a half empty arena here again.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19 pace: 232 GF / 268 GA (-36)

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674883 is a reply to message #674881 ]
Fri, 08 July 2016 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 08 July 2016 10:39

The more I think about the Loui Eriksson deal, the more I question if Linden and Benning have any idea at all what they're doing.

As much as it pains me to defend Canuck management in any respect, the conventional wisdom around here is that it's really the owner, Aquilini, pulling the strings. And the directive from him has been that the goal is to make the playoffs each year (and reap the lucrative playoff revenue), regardless of how that impacts the future.

Quote:

Owner Francesco Aquilini didn’t want the Canucks to gutter, like division rivals in Edmonton and Calgary, teams that had missed the playoffs for years. So the strategy was a running rebuild – signing expensive free agents in their 30s to chase the playoffs while reviving the aging roster.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/how-the-vancouv er-canucks-have-been-trying-to-rebuild-without-pain/article2 9487608/

Personally, I think this strategy is going to blow up in his face as the Canucks are likely to be terrible again this year, and with no hope for the immediate future, we may start seeing a half empty arena here again.

It's an odd strategy. It's one thing if they could add a true star player who could help lift them towards the post-season. We've seen before, if you get in, then you have a chance...but Ericksson won't improve the roster enough to get there. Maybe they don't understand yet that the Sedins are getting too old to dominate now?

I think having management who's just old players with no real experience at the jobs they're doing doesn't help in that situation. If you have a real competent manager who's all business and can explain concisely the goal, I think your owner is more likely to buy in.

If that's the goal though, I'm sure the owner must have been pretty unhappy to hear the comments attributed to Lucic's camp. Must have made things a little uncomfortable at the office there.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674885 is a reply to message #674881 ]
Fri, 08 July 2016 10:51 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 08 July 2016 10:39

Quote:

Those kind of comments make me think the 40 team NHL, with 32 in the playoffs, is inevitable. There has got to be incredible pressure on the league from its franchises to get more teams into lucrative playoff games.

This is fine.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674290 is a reply to message #674279 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Backes to Bruins.

Eriksson to Canucks. 6 years at 6M AAV.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674302 is a reply to message #674290 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 09:18

Backes to Bruins.

Eriksson to Canucks. 6 years at 6M AAV.

High skill, but Canucks get softer. We get tougher. I like.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674299 is a reply to message #674279 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Brouwer to Calgary for 4 years 4.5M AAV

Okposo to Buffalo for 7 years 6M AAV. Buffalo keeps adding fire to that offense.

Eric Staal to Minnesota.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674304 is a reply to message #674279 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Chad Johnson goes to Calgary for one year. Too bad, he was a good back up option for Edmonton.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674345 is a reply to message #674304 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Hamhuis to Dallas.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674353 is a reply to message #674345 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

It's going to be fun watching the Oilers lean on the Sedins and Eriksson next year. I suspect they'll have a tough time handling the big, relatively fast bodies the Oilers have added.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674387 is a reply to message #674345 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 10:52

Hamhuis to Dallas.

D. Hamhuis would have been a good fill in for two years at what he cost, he's still a good player, and can contribute on the PP, better than Sekera. He was on the Sochi Olympic team just 2 years ago, lots left.

Chiarelli better have another, better, iron in the fire if he passed on him.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674382 is a reply to message #674279 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Purcell to Kings. Good depth pickup.

Sam Gagner, Justin Schultz, and Nikitin are still looking for a job. Demers is likely the biggest FA remaining.

It looks like another year where the teams might be able to get real NHL forwards on cheap short term contracts. Lots of veterans remain to shore up the bottom six. Here is the list.

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674403 is a reply to message #674382 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

No Cups

One thing that bugs me is we never make any value signings on day 2, like stempniak for 1m last year.
Heck, I'd take Gags for 1M on the third line RW, I'd have taken Brett Connoly for 1M

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674408 is a reply to message #674403 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Team Dean wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 23:30

One thing that bugs me is we never make any value signings on day 2, like stempniak for 1m last year.
Heck, I'd take Gags for 1M on the third line RW, I'd have taken Brett Connoly for 1M

Gags and Kassian on the same line could be fun.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674410 is a reply to message #674408 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 21:24

Team Dean wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 23:30

Gags and Kassian on the same line could be fun.

It might be funny to see Gags trying to nail Kass in the jaw during practice, you mean...

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674429 is a reply to message #674279 ]
Sat, 02 July 2016 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Demers to Florida.

5 years at 4.5M per year. That isn't as bad as I thought. Florida has some good pieces on defense now with Yandle and Ekblad.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674432 is a reply to message #674429 ]
Sat, 02 July 2016 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 02 July 2016 09:40

Demers to Florida.

5 years at 4.5M per year. That isn't as bad as I thought. Florida has some good pieces on defense now with Yandle and Ekblad.

Doh. I woulda gave him that or even 4.75. \_(ツ)_/

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674452 is a reply to message #674432 ]
Sat, 02 July 2016 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 02 July 2016 09:48

Demers to Florida.

Seems cheaper than T. Hall.
Turns out that's not the price.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674531 is a reply to message #674432 ]
Sun, 03 July 2016 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 02 July 2016 10:48

Demers to Florida.

How much more would we have to pay him to make up for the after tax difference? And to make up for him and his family not getting to live in Florida in anonymity? And to make up for our team not yet being close to a contender?

Getting a feeling Demers was not really that close at all to joining the Oilers regardless.

And keep in mind, we may have got a 1st pairing D signed long term for around 4M. Demers is a #4 that we might have had to sign for 5.5M for 6 years with a NMC. There is pretty good value in the difference between those.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 July 2016 10:04]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674541 is a reply to message #674531 ]
Sun, 03 July 2016 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

No Cups

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug Jul 1
I beleive Demers was a back-up plan If they didn't land a significant piece via trade, which they did in Larsson. PC will b patient now IMO

That to me sounds like the Oilers could have got Demers but decided not to after they got Larsson.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674542 is a reply to message #674541 ]
Sun, 03 July 2016 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Team Dean wrote on Sun, 03 July 2016 11:32

I beleive Demers was a back-up plan If they didn't land a significant piece via trade, which they did in Larsson. PC will b patient now IMO

That to me sounds like the Oilers could have got Demers but decided not to after they got Larsson.

What kind of overpay would it have required though, especially if we were competing with Florida for him? And as a #4 guy that has never handled top competition or been a good PP option, does he really move the needle that much for our lineup?

Not sure how much I would have liked 10.5-11M tied up with Sekera and Demers for the next 5 years with NMC and NTC's while we still had to find a way to add a guy that could handle big minutes against top competition. And that guy we add likely would have needed to be a good PP option as well. Now with Larsson we can try to find a 2nd pairing guy with offensive ability that we can shelter from top players after the expansion draft.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 July 2016 11:54]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674745 is a reply to message #674542 ]
Tue, 05 July 2016 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 03 July 2016 12:40

Team Dean wrote on Sun, 03 July 2016 11:32

What kind of overpay would it have required though, especially if we were competing with Florida for him? And as a #4 guy that has never handled top competition or been a good PP option, does he really move the needle that much for our lineup?

Not sure how much I would have liked 10.5-11M tied up with Sekera and Demers for the next 5 years with NMC and NTC's while we still had to find a way to add a guy that could handle big minutes against top competition. And that guy we add likely would have needed to be a good PP option as well. Now with Larsson we can try to find a 2nd pairing guy with offensive ability that we can shelter from top players after the expansion draft.

Doesn't help that Oilers were right AT the cap after signing Lucic. Would've had to undersell more roster pieces just to accommodate salary of Demers.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674597 is a reply to message #674279 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Just thought I'd note for those who may care that three UFAs who were on the Oilers last year have new teams:

Andrew Miller signed with Carolina.
Adam Clendening signed with NYR.
Brad Hunt signed with St. Louis.

I expect at some point in the summer, Gazdic, Pardy, Cracknell, and Nikitin will either sign low number deals or be off to Europe. Gryba's the only UFA who still may re-sign here.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674619 is a reply to message #674597 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Jultz still unsigned too?

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674621 is a reply to message #674597 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 11:23

Just thought I'd note for those who may care that three UFAs who were on the Oilers last year have new teams:

I expect at some point in the summer, Gazdic, Pardy, Cracknell, and Nikitin will either sign low number deals or be off to Europe. Gryba's the only UFA who still may re-sign here.

The Miller signing is interesting...I believe that the Oilers loaned him to Carolina's AHL team at the end of the year. They must have liked what they saw.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674625 is a reply to message #674597 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

benv wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 10:23

Cracknell signed in Dallas.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19 pace: 232 GF / 268 GA (-36)

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674814 is a reply to message #674625 ]
Wed, 06 July 2016 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

With Gazdic signing in New Jersey that's five Oilers UFAs that have been scooped by other teams. I actually see this as a good sign, since it seems every year nobody's interested in our discards (probably for good reason). For the last several years there was only ever one or two signings of Oilers UFAs. The fact that there is some interest this year could mean they are finally starting to get some better players.

Re: Free Agency Thread [message #674809 is a reply to message #674279 ]
Wed, 06 July 2016 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Purcell to the Kings. I think they were rumoured to be potentially interested in him at the trade deadline too...

One year, $1.6MM deal. Pretty reasonable all around for a decent player.

Previous Topic:J. Bernier to Ducks
Next Topic:BEN SCRIVENS - Players Tribune
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca