This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for LarssonPages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674099 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TJ39  is currently offline TJ39

No Cups

I haven't posted for awhile, but this trade is dispicable. Good on you Oilers management. You will see what you have lost. This team is forever a sinking ship.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674106 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the flying stortini  is currently offline the flying stortini

No Cups

First post in a long time.... This is obviously a bummer right now, but I'll get over it if we see a winning team. Hall was special to us fans, he was the prize after the year of suck. Poor Roli getting lit up. The Smytty trade. Hall was the prize after all of that. Now he's gone and I wish him well.

This is Connor's team now. The D is being addressed. We might have a mean prick LW in Lucic having 97's back the next six-seven years. Our forwards are fine, the D needed addressing, this is a start.

Hall was symbolic to us as the start of change. He was valued, he was cheered for, and he is gone. Mourn the trade if you must, soak it in that the team didn't get any magic beans to go with it. Do what you need to do - it sucks to see him go. Larsson is needed. Once the shock is over we'll move on.

Good luck to Taylor, go feast on the east Hallsy.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z364/stortswasanoiler/Untitled-1.jpg中 RED DRAGONS 中
rukm01 wrote on Sun, 01 July 2012 21:54

Souray is a Duck is one letter away from being totally accurate.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674110 is a reply to message #674106 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

No Cups

I'm not a traitor, I've been positive about this team through all the bad years. But for the first time, I hope they tank out and flounder. Burn it to the ground, this idiot is slowly driving us into the ditch. He honestly thought our 2nd best player was worth very little.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674114 is a reply to message #674110 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

Team Dean wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 23:03

I'm not a traitor, I've been positive about this team through all the bad years. But for the first time, I hope they tank out and flounder. Burn it to the ground, this idiot is slowly driving us into the ditch. He honestly thought our 2nd best player was worth very little.

I don't get this mentality.

Even if you absolutely hate the trade, why wouldn't you rather be proven wrong and have the Oilers succeed this year?

We've had 10 bloody years of abject failure. I don't think hoping for another similar year is going to make anything better.

No Mo' Lowe | Fire McLellan | Fire everyone.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674115 is a reply to message #674110 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Here's hoping he can follow a similar path to Victor Hedman. Their numbers through their first four seasons are almost identical. Season 5 is where Hedman started to take off offensively. Hopefully playing with some better offensive talent will help spark that change.

Despite the belief of some there are dmen who don't put up a lot of points early in their career who are able to develop the offensive side of their game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Hedman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Larsson

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674127 is a reply to message #674110 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Team Dean wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 22:03

An NHL GM's most important ability is player evaluation, Chiarelli has proved he doesn't have it, TWICE, first Seguin, now Hall. Dumping Seguin put the Bruins in a hole they are still trying to get out of.

We gave up a second round pick for this genius?

All you need to know about Dumba's game is contained right there in his name. If we give up RNH for Dumba it'll be another stake to the heart of the franchise.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674124 is a reply to message #674106 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TJ39  is currently offline TJ39

No Cups

No, I think differently. Hall is one of the best wingers in the game. He's a star player for years to come. As I said this trade disgusts me. This team/organization disgusted me before, but not like today. The Oilers loss

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674131 is a reply to message #674106 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

No Cups

the flying stortini wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 22:54

First post in a long time.... This is obviously a bummer right now, but I'll get over it if we see a winning team. Hall was special to us fans, he was the prize after the year of suck. Poor Roli getting lit up. The Smytty trade. Hall was the prize after all of that. Now he's gone and I wish him well.

This is Connor's team now. The D is being addressed. We might have a mean prick LW in Lucic having 97's back the next six-seven years. Our forwards are fine, the D needed addressing, this is a start.

Hall was symbolic to us as the start of change. He was valued, he was cheered for, and he is gone. Mourn the trade if you must, soak it in that the team didn't get any magic beans to go with it. Do what you need to do - it sucks to see him go. Larsson is needed. Once the shock is over we'll move on.

Good luck to Taylor, go feast on the east Hallsy.

Welcome back and thank you for the most rational post of the thread.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674133 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

I guess I'll need to change my username....I'm wildly bitter about this trade. It's not going to work out well for Jersey. Hall couldn't turn this team around, he's heading into a nightmare of a top 6 with the current crop of Devils. It's way too bad all we could muster was Larsson. Despite the price, don't be fooled by his low offensive numbers, Adam Larsson is an awesome defender and we lack this calibre of player.

I'm sure Chia isn't done here. A Lucic signing tomorrow is beyond obvious.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674136 is a reply to message #674133 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

I'm of the same opinion here. Larsson was used in a defensive role last year on NJD because they had no offense to speak of. The devils scored 24 fewer goals than they allowed and he was still a plus 15 while starting something like 28% of his shifts in the d zone. His numbers with Greene are not bad at all facing the toughest competition on a team with next to no offense to help push the numbers in the other direction and the numbers actually get a little better when he's not with him which I'm assuming was because he wasn't facing as tough of competition. He can skate, handle the puck, make an accurate outlet pass and quick decisions which are talents that are sorely lacking on the blueline. I believe PC found a partner for Klefbom with this trade that may actually unlock the potential in both players. I think Larsson's labeling as a propect by some here is inaccurate he is a legitimate top pairing RH shot d-man at 23 years old with room to improve. He's not the sexy option but I think he may be the right option. And Hall for as good as he is and I believe as good as he will become unfortunately doesn't shoot right or play defense. Today there is more balance on this team and balance will bring success.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674140 is a reply to message #674136 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

oilerfan79 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 07:17

I'm of the same opinion here. Larsson was used in a defensive role last year on NJD because they had no offense to speak of. The devils scored 24 fewer goals than they allowed and he was still a plus 15 while starting something like 28% of his shifts in the d zone. His numbers with Greene are not bad at all facing the toughest competition on a team with next to no offense to help push the numbers in the other direction and the numbers actually get a little better when he's not with him which I'm assuming was because he wasn't facing as tough of competition. He can skate, handle the puck, make an accurate outlet pass and quick decisions which are talents that are sorely lacking on the blueline. I believe PC found a partner for Klefbom with this trade that may actually unlock the potential in both players. I think Larsson's labeling as a propect by some here is inaccurate he is a legitimate top pairing RH shot d-man at 23 years old with room to improve. He's not the sexy option but I think he may be the right option. And Hall for as good as he is and I believe as good as he will become unfortunately doesn't shoot right or play defense. Today there is more balance on this team and balance will bring success.

I agree with you. Right now my heart doesn't like the trade because I am a huge Hall fan and I think they didn't get enough. But my brain is telling me that in the long run, it has a good chance of working out really well. If this trade allows then it will be a good trade. Every really good team has less high end offensive forwards than the Oilers currently have today but have a really good top pairing defense tandem.

So while everyone has a right to be pissed at the trade right now. As an Oilers fan, what do you want? Do you want a really good team or a really good collection of players? I ask this because there is a HUGE difference. The Oilers for years at forward have had a really good collection of players. Over the years at times they can be world beaters, catch a team napping and go toe to toe and even beat the best teams in the league. But as soon as even a mediocre team comes in and plays a solid team game, even if they are less talented, the Oilers got beat more times than not. In the end, year after year the Oilers finished near or at the bottom while less paper talented teams who played a way, way better team game were higher up or even made the playoffs.

So if giving up the best player in the trade today plugs a gapping hole and makes it so the Oilers play a better, more balanced TEAM GAME and make them a better team as a unit then it could be a good trade.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674147 is a reply to message #674140 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 08:00

oilerfan79 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 07:17

I agree with you. Right now my heart doesn't like the trade because I am a huge Hall fan and I think they didn't get enough. But my brain is telling me that in the long run, it has a good chance of working out really well. If this trade allows then it will be a good trade. Every really good team has less high end offensive forwards than the Oilers currently have today but have a really good top pairing defense tandem.

So while everyone has a right to be pissed at the trade right now. As an Oilers fan, what do you want? Do you want a really good team or a really good collection of players? I ask this because there is a HUGE difference. The Oilers for years at forward have had a really good collection of players. Over the years at times they can be world beaters, catch a team napping and go toe to toe and even beat the best teams in the league. But as soon as even a mediocre team comes in and plays a solid team game, even if they are less talented, the Oilers got beat more times than not. In the end, year after year the Oilers finished near or at the bottom while less paper talented teams who played a way, way better team game were higher up or even made the playoffs.

So if giving up the best player in the trade today plugs a gapping hole and makes it so the Oilers play a better, more balanced TEAM GAME and make them a better team as a unit then it could be a good trade.

After a day to calm down this is pretty much where I'm at too.
Yeah we lost the trade in terms of value for value, but looking at the overall team makeup I think we'll end up being a better team.

We haven't had a legit #1 shutdown D since Pronger left. It sucks that we had to overpay to get that piece, but at least now we have it. He's on a dream contract too for the next several years.

Feel bad for Hall and wish him all the best out East.

Interesting that Klefbom, Larsson and Talbot all have the same 4.167m cap hit. That's pretty good value for your top D pairing and starting goalie, and they're all signed for relatively long term too.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2016 09:29]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674141 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

I'm very shocked. I work the graveyard shift and what a story to wake up to. I want to offer a few thoughts.

As Oilerfan79 just noted, Larsson and Klefbom might be the perfect compliment for each other. So there's that. The rusher and the defender right? I'd rather have two Canadians as my top pairing D, not Swedes, but I'm not racist or Don Cherry. Lindstrom and Karlsson and Hedman are pretty good, though Larsson ain't them!

I feel bad for Taylor. New Jersey is not making the playoffs any time soon. Hall might approach Ollie Joikenen territory out there. Isn't #4 retired there too?

If this is gonna be the value of right handed d men moving forward in this leauge and if I was a GM, I'd never draft a lefty d man again!

I remember the billboards around town in 2010 with Hall and the "welcome to Edmonton Taylor". For him to wallow through these wretched 6 years and 5 coaches and get moved right before the new arena with us "winning" McDavid and the sense the tide might finally be turning...I'd feel slighted too.

Everyone is screaming about how some other teams exec says he'd have offered more. Well what if he worked for Calgary or Vancouver or Winnipeg? At least when Chia deals a star he sends them out of the conference.

Good luck Taylor! You're too good for trap hockey.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674143 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Is it too early to start talking about Nolan Patrick?

Gawd I love that kid.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674144 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

The fakeoilersgm account on twitter has a lot of zingers for those that may not regularly pay attention to this one!

My car was running low on gas tonight so I bought a new car. This is the price you have to pay.

Waitress asked "soup or salad" but I made her bring me a packet of sugar instead.

Rest assured that if this trade doesn't pan out, the Oilers GM will be FIRED and replaced by the President of Hockey Operations.

All this wheeling & dealing has made me starving. Anyone know if Burger King accepts payment in the form of AAA steaks?

Steve Tambellini just called to congratulate and compliment my trade and now I'm a little worried

https://twitter.com/fakeoilersgm

The day after, I'm still don't think the Oilers got fair value in Taylor Hall, but maybe one day this trade will seem even? I can't see that we'll ever consider the Oilers won this one. I'm doubtful but here's hoping!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674145 is a reply to message #674144 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 08:28

The fakeoilersgm account on twitter has a lot of zingers for those that may not regularly pay attention to this one!

My car was running low on gas tonight so I bought a new car. This is the price you have to pay.

Waitress asked "soup or salad" but I made her bring me a packet of sugar instead.

Rest assured that if this trade doesn't pan out, the Oilers GM will be FIRED and replaced by the President of Hockey Operations.

All this wheeling & dealing has made me starving. Anyone know if Burger King accepts payment in the form of AAA steaks?

Steve Tambellini just called to congratulate and compliment my trade and now I'm a little worried

https://twitter.com/fakeoilersgm

The day after, I'm still don't think the Oilers got fair value in Taylor Hall, but maybe one day this trade will seem even? I can't see that we'll ever consider the Oilers won this one. I'm doubtful but here's hoping!

This is my favorite so far:

It's true. The Canadiens wanted Draisaitl for Subban. But no chance! Leon and Taylor have terrific chemistry.

This ones good too:

Oops. Just realized I wore MacT's glasses today #visuallybetter

A day later and I'm still sad.

Oiler Fan For Life.
Go Esks Go!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674177 is a reply to message #674145 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rjayd2  is currently offline rjayd2

No Cups

Some perspective for those still upset over the deal:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16640561/nhl-blockbuster-t rades-involving-montreal-canadiens-nashville-predators-edmon ton-oilers-new-jersey-devils

"If Bergevin thought he was getting it hard from his fans in Montreal, Edmonton Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli might have it worse, given the reaction of fans over his dealing of Taylor Hall to the New Jersey Devils for defenseman Adam Larsson.

Which is why it's interesting when I got this reaction from a Western Conference hockey exec about the Oilers making that move: "Guys want a fixed cost moving forward, I don't blame them."

That fixed cost is Larsson being signed for five more years at a $4.16 million cap hit. That's a great contract as long as Larsson actually lives up to being a top-end blueliner.

I think this is a solid acquisition by Chiarelli. Larsson is underrated. But at the cost of a bona fide scoring star such as Hall? It's an overpay by any definition.

"But if any team can overpay from one of their forwards, it's Edmonton," said another Western Conference exec.

The Oilers would have preferred to trade Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Jordan Eberle instead for Larsson, but Devils GM Ray Shero had no interest in those players. It was Hall or bust.

Of course, the Oilers talked to the St. Louis Blues about Kevin Shattenkirk, but they knew he wouldn't re-sign in Edmonton after his deal expired in a year. The Subban talks with Montreal never got to a point where it made sense for Edmonton.

"There are almost no defensemen out there for a trade," said an Eastern Conference exec, explaining why the Oilers' deal for Larsson makes sense on some level.

"I definitely wasn't looking to trade Adam Larsson," Shero said over the phone Wednesday night. "But I may never get a chance again to get Taylor Hall."

Interestingly, when Shero and Chiarelli took over their respective clubs a year ago, they actually chatted and in some ways planted the seed for this type of deal. They recognized early on that the Devils needed forwards and the Oilers needed defensemen, and that one day they might help each other out.

But they needed time to get to know their teams first.

The reality is that Shero and Chiarelli didn't really get going on this deal until the past week after they both reconnected in Buffalo at the draft.

Shero, after being relayed the heat that his counterpart was taking in the wake of the trade in Edmonton, shed light on Larsson, a player that most Oilers fans obviously haven't watched play much before: "I know one thing, if you look, Adam Larsson and Andy Greene had the toughest quality of competition in the entire league this year. And the worst zone starts. They were matched up against the best players every night. ...

"Adam is a heavy player, he's hard down low. He's an unbelievable pro at his age. He's an easy guy to coach and play with. Maybe people don't know him, but he's a good guy to build a defense around. We're going to have a hole there with him gone for sure."

From the sounds of it Chiarelli did very well considered the horrendous position he was placed in by previous management of this team. Labelling this trade as horrendous and mismanaged is completely asinine given the situation and you'd have to be fool to not recognize that he actually did well considering the circumstances.

Just curious what was the better option you'd go for if you still don't agree after reading that?

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674202 is a reply to message #674177 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The problem with most fans and some bloggers is they have it in their mind that if your team doesn't flat out fleece the other team in a trade, its a bad trade. In my opinion, as much as it pains me to lose Hall because I am a big time fan of his, this trade could easily work out to be good for both teams.

For it to be a win for the Oilers, Larsson needs to do what he did in Jersey this past year. Be a top pairing, right shot, big, strong, heavy, play against the tough competition, move the puck to the forwards, play 23-24 mins a night, good dman. Maybe chip in the odd point. If he can do that and everyone says that's exactly what he does, then it will be a fair trade.

People can disagree with me if they want but a good, 24 min a night dman has WAY more impact on the outcome of the game than Hall would. There is more to winning a hockey game than just scoring points.

Here's a question. Would any of you traded Hall to Tampa for Stralman straight up? Stralman is considered and excellent #2, right shot Dman, signed to a great contract. The year Tampa signed him, he had 13 pts in 81 games with the Rangers. Strralman turns 30 in a month and makes 4.5 mill. The first year in Tampa, Stralman scored 39 pts. 3 TIMES as many points. This past season he scored 34 pts in 73 games. Stralman missed most of the playoffs, came back in the Pens series wbut there was no way he was in shape and probably not totally healthy. I think if he had been healthy, Tampa wins that series. If that deal was on the table, I would probably do that deal.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674207 is a reply to message #674202 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

We've been bottom 4 in GA the last three years. If they can spend less time fishing the puck out of their own net that in itself will change the fortunes of the team.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674211 is a reply to message #674202 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 12:20

The problem with most fans and some bloggers is they have it in their mind that if your team doesn't flat out fleece the other team in a trade, its a bad trade. In my opinion, as much as it pains me to lose Hall because I am a big time fan of his, this trade could easily work out to be good for both teams.

I typically like your posts, but this paragraph is a steaming pile of BS.

Fans and bloggers expected Chiarelli to fleece another GM to shore up his defense? That's an insult to a lot of Oiler fans intelligence. Nobody expected Chiarelli to fleece anybody to help his defense, even with Taylor Hall. But they didn't expect him to be lying behind the wood shed in his track suit either.

Holy crap, there's not much room in the "smartest person in the room" room anymore.

Too many people are listening to boot licks like Rishaug. Guys that need to suck up to the GM's for better access, better info, better answers. In a lot of cases, guys like Rishaug and Dreger don't truly have bosses in the TSN office in Toronto. Wake TF up people...

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2016 14:17]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674212 is a reply to message #674211 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 14:15

Wake TF up people...

Who is TF? Will he fire MacT and Lowe? If so, where is this guy, I'll help wake him up.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674216 is a reply to message #674212 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ryanc182  is currently offline ryanc182

No Cups

I think I'm just going to take some time away from this board.

Too many people just way too hurt over it. Yes the return was less than we expected. Oh well, he filled a position of need from a position of strength.

Good on Chia for actually trying something and having the balls to put his name on it. I can't handle another 29th place finish. This might actually get us somewhere.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674217 is a reply to message #674216 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

How about thinking of this trade as a similar trade to the one made between Hartford and St Louis a long, long time ago.

Blues traded a top LW in the game at the time in Brendan Shanahan for a young, not nearly worth Shanahan Chris Pronger. Worked out pretty good for the Blues.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674221 is a reply to message #674217 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 14:42

How about thinking of this trade as a similar trade to the one made between Hartford and St Louis a long, long time ago.

Blues traded a top LW in the game at the time in Brendan Shanahan for a young, not nearly worth Shanahan Chris Pronger. Worked out pretty good for the Blues.

The only solution to make the fans be OK with stuff like this is to win games. Lucky for Chia, the bar is set somewhere near the center of the earth. Boston traded away Kessel for picks, and not a single Boston fan gives 2 craps about it any more.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674242 is a reply to message #674217 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 14:42

Pronger? How about thinking of this trade as a similar trade many years ago you say?

That's a pretty big magic bean to sit on.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674218 is a reply to message #674211 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 13:15

Fans and bloggers expected Chiarelli to fleece another GM to shore up his defense? That's an insult to a lot of Oiler fans intelligence. Nobody expected Chiarelli to fleece anybody to help his defense, even with Taylor Hall. But they didn't expect him to be lying behind the wood shed in his track suit either.

Holy crap, there's not much room in the "smartest person in the room" room anymore.

Too many people are listening to boot licks like Rishaug. Guys that need to suck up to the GM's for better access, better info, better answers. In a lot of cases, guys like Rishaug and Dreger don't truly have bosses in the TSN office in Toronto. Wake TF up people...

.. more like his track suit down around his ankles.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674220 is a reply to message #674211 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 13:15

You could tell the boot lickers, and anti-Oiler crowd yesterday, Spector in full spin mode I particularly noticed. I'd wonder what Stauffer is saying now. Nobody credible is saying this trade is anything but bad. Like you said Rishaug was pumping the Hall trade rumours early, likely ploy to soften everyone up to the shock of it, I think everyone would have eventually been over the shock of seeing Hall depart, if they got something of equal value, but it's the lack of return that everyone is choking on. This team management needs a Heimlich.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674222 is a reply to message #674220 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

Can we at least let the kid suit up for a game before we say lack of return. I don't watch NJD hockey because I compare it to golf good when I want to nap, but everything I've read is that he is in fact a top pairing shut down d-man. Hall is a huge price to pay but I do believe that is the price that had to be paid. PC has been trying to get a top pair RH d-man for a year, I'm sure he called everybody and they all told him the same thing, it's going to cost you more than you want to pay. So he did what he had to do. Would you have been happy if he traded Nuge and the 4th for one of the sexier names out there?

Defense men aren't supposed to be sexy their supposed to keep the puck out of the back of the net. It sounds like Larsson does that quite well. Who knows he's only 23 perhaps it's possible in 3 years Jersey thinks they gave up Larsson and all they got back was Hall.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674223 is a reply to message #674222 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilerfan79 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 15:20

Can we at least let the kid suit up for a game before we say lack of return. I don't watch NJD hockey because I compare it to golf good when I want to nap, but everything I've read is that he is in fact a top pairing shut down d-man. Hall is a huge price to pay but I do believe that is the price that had to be paid. PC has been trying to get a top pair RH d-man for a year, I'm sure he called everybody and they all told him the same thing, it's going to cost you more than you want to pay. So he did what he had to do. Would you have been happy if he traded Nuge and the 4th for one of the sexier names out there?

Defense men aren't supposed to be sexy their supposed to keep the puck out of the back of the net. It sounds like Larsson does that quite well. Who knows he's only 23 perhaps it's possible in 3 years Jersey thinks they gave up Larsson and all they got back was Hall.

I'm really curious to see how this affects New Jersey. They only started this strategy of burying one D pairing in their own zone 2 seasons ago, and it's only been done with Greene and Larsson. Before that, Greene and his D partner would just get pretty even zone starts. But, their forward group degraded so much, they just turned into a team that holds on for dear life, giving 1 pairing all the hard minutes and hoping they can eke the game out with some luck and their PP.

They lost half that D pairing now, and the coach didn't appear to trust anyone else with that level of difficulty aside from Greene and Larsson. So, they may need to open things up a bit and hope they can win a more open game and Hall can be the difference maker.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674224 is a reply to message #674211 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 14:15

Judging by the the overly dramatic, non-objective reactions on here I don't believe there's much to insult...

I can't speak for others that support the trade, but personally I form my own opinions and don't look to anyone in the media to decide what I think.

By the way, still waiting on anyone to offer up what Chiarelli's better course of action should have been.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2016 15:56]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674219 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Comments on the trade in Friedman's 30 thoughts:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-couldnt-edmon ton-montreal-make-deal/

Quote:

On a crazy day where Steven Stamkos signing in Tampa Bay could arguably be the third-biggest hockey story, the most unanswered question has to be: “Why couldn’t Montreal and Edmonton work out a Taylor Hall–P.K. Subban deal?”

The Oilers sure could’ve used Subban. We knew they were talking last week. Montreal initially asked for Leon Draisaitl, the No. 4 pick at Friday’s draft and more. That “more” included either Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse, plus something else. I can’t nail down what that “something else” was, but it was not insignificant. It was a big price to pay, and Edmonton did not want to do that.

According to several sources, there was another possibility — without Draisaitl. Was Hall there? I can’t say for sure. But I do think he’s got fans in the Montreal organization. So, why didn’t it happen?

Here’s a quote from a GM on a different team: “How much are you paying Connor McDavid in two years? If you’re budgeting for $10M-11M, that’s $19M-$20M for him and Subban. Can you do it under this tighter cap?”

I would suspect that’s the reason.

With McDavid’s next contract potentially massive, Peter Chiarelli looked elsewhere. The Hall-for-Adam Larsson deal saves Edmonton more than $1.8M in cap room. No doubt that’s why it was a one-for-one trade. New Jersey GM Ray Shero could say, “I’m adding salary, I’m not giving up anything else.” He took a hard line.

The Oilers were interested in Larsson for a while. He’s similar to Klefbom in the sense he might not get a lot of points, but he’ll get the puck out of your zone quickly and send it up ice. I don’t think Hall was on the table until recently, as everything else they’d tried to pry Larsson loose with failed. It’s clear Edmonton desperately sought right-handed defensive help. They passed on Subban. Kevin Shattenkirk wasn’t signing long-term in northern Alberta. They asked Carolina about Justin Faulk, but the Hurricanes weren’t doing that without Edmonton sweetening the pie.

The biggest variable was how much pressure Edmonton felt to make a trade. Now, we know the answer.

3. The Hall trade finally brought some truth to a boatload of Edmonton rumours. There was definitely discussion with Minnesota on a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins/Matt Dumba deal, but the Oilers made it very clear that wasn’t enough to pry loose Nugent-Hopkins and asked for more. That’s where it fell apart. One of the things Edmonton is looking for is a another second-round pick, because they owe one to Boston for Chiarelli’s hiring.

4. The overwhelming theory is the Oilers did indeed get a commitment from Milan Lucic, as The Edmonton Journal’s Curtis Stock reported Tuesday. (He also fitted Jason Demers into an Oiler uniform.)

You’d have to be extremely naive to think money is not discussed on the free-agent tours, although I hope everyone’s smart enough not to put it on paper. Other execs were guessing that if both do sign there, we’re talking seven years, $42M for Lucic and a $5.5M AAV for Demers. That’s what they did last summer for Andrej Sekera. We’ll see how it all shakes out.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674226 is a reply to message #674219 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 14:48

Comments on the trade in Friedman's 30 thoughts:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-couldnt-edmon ton-montreal-make-deal/

Quote:

On a crazy day where Steven Stamkos signing in Tampa Bay could arguably be the third-biggest hockey story, the most unanswered question has to be: “Why couldn’t Montreal and Edmonton work out a Taylor Hall–P.K. Subban deal?”

The Oilers sure could’ve used Subban. We knew they were talking last week. Montreal initially asked for Leon Draisaitl, the No. 4 pick at Friday’s draft and more. That “more” included either Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse, plus something else. I can’t nail down what that “something else” was, but it was not insignificant. It was a big price to pay, and Edmonton did not want to do that.

According to several sources, there was another possibility — without Draisaitl. Was Hall there? I can’t say for sure. But I do think he’s got fans in the Montreal organization. So, why didn’t it happen?

Here’s a quote from a GM on a different team: “How much are you paying Connor McDavid in two years? If you’re budgeting for $10M-11M, that’s $19M-$20M for him and Subban. Can you do it under this tighter cap?”

I would suspect that’s the reason.

With McDavid’s next contract potentially massive, Peter Chiarelli looked elsewhere. The Hall-for-Adam Larsson deal saves Edmonton more than $1.8M in cap room. No doubt that’s why it was a one-for-one trade. New Jersey GM Ray Shero could say, “I’m adding salary, I’m not giving up anything else.” He took a hard line.

The Oilers were interested in Larsson for a while. He’s similar to Klefbom in the sense he might not get a lot of points, but he’ll get the puck out of your zone quickly and send it up ice. I don’t think Hall was on the table until recently, as everything else they’d tried to pry Larsson loose with failed. It’s clear Edmonton desperately sought right-handed defensive help. They passed on Subban. Kevin Shattenkirk wasn’t signing long-term in northern Alberta. They asked Carolina about Justin Faulk, but the Hurricanes weren’t doing that without Edmonton sweetening the pie.

The biggest variable was how much pressure Edmonton felt to make a trade. Now, we know the answer.

3. The Hall trade finally brought some truth to a boatload of Edmonton rumours. There was definitely discussion with Minnesota on a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins/Matt Dumba deal, but the Oilers made it very clear that wasn’t enough to pry loose Nugent-Hopkins and asked for more. That’s where it fell apart. One of the things Edmonton is looking for is a another second-round pick, because they owe one to Boston for Chiarelli’s hiring.

4. The overwhelming theory is the Oilers did indeed get a commitment from Milan Lucic, as The Edmonton Journal’s Curtis Stock reported Tuesday. (He also fitted Jason Demers into an Oiler uniform.)

You’d have to be extremely naive to think money is not discussed on the free-agent tours, although I hope everyone’s smart enough not to put it on paper. Other execs were guessing that if both do sign there, we’re talking seven years, $42M for Lucic and a $5.5M AAV for Demers. That’s what they did last summer for Andrej Sekera. We’ll see how it all shakes out.

The hockey world needs more Elliotte Friedman's. Thanks for sharing the link.

Oiler Fan For Life.
Go Esks Go!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674228 is a reply to message #674226 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

TeemaJeema wrote on Thu, 30 June 2016 16:06

The hockey world needs more Elliotte Friedman's. Thanks for sharing the link.

Additional insight into the trade in the Pierre Lebrun article I posted farther back on this page (that has been conveniently ignored to this point).

Between Friedman and that article a clearer picture forms and this trade makes complete sense.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674232 is a reply to message #674228 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

No Cups

I take it all back. We should draft Seguin.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2016 17:21]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674251 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Thu, 30 June 2016 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Like everyone else I was shocked that it took Taylor Hall to get a quality D man but a day later after the dust has settled a bit, believe it had to be done. Wish it could have been Eberle or Yakapov instead but they didn't have the trade value. The team is going back to the golf course next spring without adequate defence amd there's also the issue of upcoming contracts under a salary cap. I believe in the young D that the team is bringing along but this gives the whole process a much needed boost. Loved Taylor Hall and wish him nothing but success with his new team. From what I gather Larsson was used in more of a shut down role against the other team's best players with limited power play time. His offensive stats are bound to improve with the Oilers. It's a team game and top pairing D men are a key element. His reasonable contract and age are also a huge plus.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674269 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

A friend pointed this one out on Facebook, had to drag it over here too:

http://www.theoilersrig.com/2016/06/on-taylor-hall-rebuilds- and-betrayal/

Very well written, a great read.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674336 is a reply to message #674269 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

As long as the Greene effect isn't what some say it is. I'm going to say that Larsson is an elite (top 10 in the league), shut down defender. That's pretty special. Maybe not worth trading the top 3 LW in the league, but still, something very awesome.

My major knock on the trade, is that there was something better out there for what we gave up.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674391 is a reply to message #674336 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 11:38

As long as the Greene effect isn't what some say it is. I'm going to say that Larsson is an elite (top 10 in the league), shut down defender. That's pretty special. Maybe not worth trading the top 3 LW in the league, but still, something very awesome.

My major knock on the trade, is that there was something better out there for what we gave up.

Which was what exactly? No one seems to be willing clarify what this superior move to improve our defense was.

PK Subban? If that was even remotely going to happen it certainly was not straight up for Hall but for a far uglier package. It's also been pointed out by a Friedman article how nhl execs wondered aloud how you would manage having both Mcdavid's and Subban's cap hit on the booksin a couple years.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674393 is a reply to message #674391 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

How does Chicago fit Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, and Hossa with their big contracts?

It is doable with good management. A team shouldn't be scared at having elite players eat up some cap space. Good management builds around elite pieces. Bad management trades them away for a cheaper, lesser player. Money shouldn't have been seen as an issue.

Here is an article where Willis argues that the proposed deal for Subban that Friedman reported has the Oilers in better position than what they currently are.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ cult-of-hockey-why-the-oilers-should-have-made-the-subban-tr ade-not-the-hall-deal

Quote:

The Montreal Canadiens had discussed the possibility of moving P.K. Subban to Edmonton for a package consisting of Leon Draisaitl, the No. 4 selection (used to get Jesse Puljujarvi), one of Oscar Klefbom or Darnell Nurse, and something else of “not insignificant” value.

If the Oilers had the opportunity to have a team where they still had McDavid, Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, one of Klefbom or Nurse, and on top of that an elite defenseman in Subban...they are sitting very pretty. That's a core ready to contend.

Even if you don't like that Subban deal, surely Chiarelli could have traded Hall at another time for something better than just Adam Larsson.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674396 is a reply to message #674393 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 16:28

How does Chicago fit Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, and Hossa with their big contracts?

It is doable with good management. A team shouldn't be scared at having elite players eat up some cap space. Good management builds around elite pieces. Bad management trades them away for a cheaper, lesser player. Money shouldn't have been seen as an issue.

Here is an article where Willis argues that the proposed deal for Subban that Friedman reported has the Oilers in better position than what they currently are.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ cult-of-hockey-why-the-oilers-should-have-made-the-subban-tr ade-not-the-hall-deal

Quote:

The Montreal Canadiens had discussed the possibility of moving P.K. Subban to Edmonton for a package consisting of Leon Draisaitl, the No. 4 selection (used to get Jesse Puljujarvi), one of Oscar Klefbom or Darnell Nurse, and something else of “not insignificant” value.

If the Oilers had the opportunity to have a team where they still had McDavid, Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, one of Klefbom or Nurse, and on top of that an elite defenseman in Subban...they are sitting very pretty. That's a core ready to contend.

Even if you don't like that Subban deal, surely Chiarelli could have traded Hall at another time for something better than just Adam Larsson.

You are absolutely correct. Its was lazy management of the team's second best asset, which was hard earned by the fans through years of dismal franchise performance, all fizzled away in one ill conceived transaction.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #674398 is a reply to message #674396 ]
Fri, 01 July 2016 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 18:57

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 01 July 2016 16:28

Quote:

You are absolutely correct. Its was lazy management of the team's second best asset, which was hard earned by the fans through years of dismal franchise performance, all fizzled away in one ill conceived transaction.

And there it is -- very telling that your personal issue with the trade has nothing to do with objective analysis of the players and everything to do with sentimentality and emotional attachment. Who cares if he was possibly that -- you just don't like that his actual worth turned out to be far less than whatever you imagined...

Lazy management? Pretty sure Chia has been saying since he has arrived that the defence needs to improve and this move was the result of an entire year trying to arrive at the best solutions. If you believe this was done on a thoughtless whim and without the utmost scrutiny and analysis you're a petty moron.

Remind me again what the better option was?

Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible
Next Topic:Larsson a Kraken
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca