This day on April 16
Acquired: Ty Conklin (2001)

Happy Birthday To: Ryno, Rifle, tollen, oiler-dude, oiler4life, Big T, MikeHawk, ryanbatty, jtb36, retirealreadymikekeane

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for LarssonPages (16): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673755]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:30 Go to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

The Edmonton Oilers and New Jersey Devils have completed a blockbuster.

Left wing Taylor Hall is on his way to the Garden State in exchange for defenceman Adam Larsson.

http://www.tsn.ca/oilers-trade-hall-to-devils-1.517882

He's signed until 2020-21 with a $4,166,666 cap hit: http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1264 (As an aside, general fanager had that updated to reflect he's an Oiler within minutes!)

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2016 13:40]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673758 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spoonful  is currently offline spoonful

No Cups

Straight up apparently. It's disgusting but our "core" doesn't have the value people in Edmonton thought they did.

The Edmonton Oilers - "Craig's on it"

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673760 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

What in the F...I would much rather have added to Hall for an elite guy than this.

This sucks. Adam Larsson? Really? Wow...

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673767 is a reply to message #673760 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spoonful  is currently offline spoonful

No Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 13:33

What in the F...I would much rather have added to Hall for an elite guy than this.

This sucks. Adam Larsson? Really? Wow...

Obviously an "elite guy" wasn't going to be traded for Hall.

Now imagine what value Eberle and RNH have..

The Edmonton Oilers - "Craig's on it"

TSNRe: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673768 is a reply to message #673767 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red Rage  is currently offline Red Rage

No Cups

TSN says its for a package centering around Larsson

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673761 is a reply to message #673755 ]
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Principe says 1 for 1. We got fleeced.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673762 is a reply to message #673755 ]
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Better be for Larsson plus plus plus...in Chia we trust?

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673766 is a reply to message #673762 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

it CANT be one for one...it can't...that's horrible!

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673769 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

If it's not for Larsson +, this sucks. This outright sucks.

Oiler Fan For Life.
Go Esks Go!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673772 is a reply to message #673769 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for the add from NJ. Chiarelli is going to be a pariah if:

a) he doesn't get more
b) Larsson doesn't completely go off
c) both of the above

Edit: not a package

Larsson becomes an elite top pairing guy, or Chia goes down in flames.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2016 13:40]

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690503 is a reply to message #673772 ]
Fri, 07 April 2017 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 13:37

I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for the add from NJ. Chiarelli is going to be a pariah if:

a) he doesn't get more
b) Larsson doesn't completely go off
c) both of the above

Edit: not a package

Larsson becomes an elite top pairing guy, or Chia goes down in flames.

That's my post from the day of the trade. Don't think there is any way that Chia goes down in flames for this trade now. People will still always question it, and question how much of a factor Larsson is in the turnaround compared to an alternative that didn't cost Hall (ie Demers).

Personally, I haven't felt "gee I wish we still had Hall" all that many nights with the thrill ride the Oilers have given us this year. I enjoy watching #6 play defence. He is a salty, physical jerk and it's awesome to see him break the cycling that teams always used to use to kill us.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690509 is a reply to message #690503 ]
Fri, 07 April 2017 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 07 April 2017 08:39

Personally, I haven't felt "gee I wish we still had Hall" all that many nights with the thrill ride the Oilers have given us this year. I enjoy watching #6 play defence. He is a salty, physical jerk and it's awesome to see him break the cycling that teams always used to use to kill us.

That's exactly how I feel, and it's why whenever someone brings up the Hall trade I say maybe I would revisit it exactly a full calendar year after it was done, when the season is over because as of now Hall has been so far off of my mind during this amazing season.

The Oilers are beating Anaheim, San Jose and Calgary pretty much every single time this season. Right now if I would sit here and reflect of the Hall era against those teams, the Oilers would get embarrassed most nights. Not all of that was on Hall however.

We can sit here and talk analytics of how Hall is performing better in NJ than Larsson or how it was poor asset management but at the end of the day the Oilers are a better team even though a lot of that has to do with adding other pieces. It's almost frustrating to see it being brought up all the time. I'm ready for the playoffs and I'm happy we have Larsson.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673770 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Awful. I don't know what else to say.

One of the very best wingers in the game for an okay, mediocre, second-pairing defenseman.

The Oilers are worse today than they were yesterday. And Milan Lucic won't change that.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673784 is a reply to message #673770 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 13:36

Awful. I don't know what else to say.

One of the very best wingers in the game for an okay, mediocre, second-pairing defenseman.

The Oilers are worse today than they were yesterday. And Milan Lucic won't change that.

Totally agree. This will not go down as a good deal for the Edmonton Oilers. You're banking on Lucic as your #1 LW, you've got only Nail Yakupov below him on the depth chart (who wants out and should be moved), and get 2nd pairing Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall.

Brutal.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673800 is a reply to message #673784 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rattimus  is currently offline Rattimus

No Cups

What about Maroon or Pouliot? Both those guys can put up 20+ goals skating with McDavid.

Don't get me wrong, hate the trade, but we have a couple more options other than Lucic or Yak on LW.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673807 is a reply to message #673800 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Rattimus wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 13:56

What about Maroon or Pouliot? Both those guys can put up 20+ goals skating with McDavid.

Don't get me wrong, hate the trade, but we have a couple more options other than Lucic or Yak on LW.

A top 3 LW in the league who can carry the play, and has carried the play for this team is dealt for a 2nd pairing D who they think has upside. This was a loss.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673835 is a reply to message #673807 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rattimus  is currently offline Rattimus

No Cups

Yeah.... I never argued otherwise, it was a terrible trade. I said "Don't get me wrong, hate the trade".

FYI though, Larsson was playing 1st pairing in NJ and they've been one of the best defensive teams in the league for a few years now, not even accounting for Cory Schneider being a great goalie either.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673844 is a reply to message #673835 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

So where does this rank on the "worst trades in Oilers history" list?

1. Gretzky
2. Pronger for Lupul
3. Hall
4. Messier for Bernie Nicholls, etc
5. Weight for Hecht

??

I'm depressed

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673775 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

This is the moment that most of us have been dreading for awhile now. Trading Hall for .60 cents on the dollar. I haven't had time to dive too deep into Larsson's performance over the last few years but I don't need to to know that he's not worth the price we paid. Ive said all along that I didn't want to see Hall traded for anything other than a bonafide #1 25-30 minute a night Dman signed to team control for 3 years or more on a reasonable contract.

This obviously means that the Lucic rumours are true as PC would not have dealt Taylor Hall without been nearly certain that Lucic was coming here. Lucic is NOT now and never will be a reasonable replacement for Hall. I want to see him on this team but not at the expense of Hall. The fans and the organization will regret this more as Lucic ages.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673776 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

What a mess. Did Hall request a trade? Even so. Larsson has 9 goals in his career. We are so much worse today. There are other players on the Oilers I don't give up for Larsson, let alone Taylor Hall.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673787 is a reply to message #673776 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 14:40

What a mess. Did Hall request a trade? Even so. Larsson has 9 goals in his career. We are so much worse today. There are other players on the Oilers I don't give up for Larsson, let alone Taylor Hall.

You know..he may have requested one after his name was thrown around considerably the past few days...

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673779 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

This is terrible.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673780 is a reply to message #673779 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

What is the logic for this trade? I can't find ANY!!!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673781 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RedRooster  is currently offline RedRooster

No Cups

Someone(Chia) seems to have been browsing the internet and took it to heart. http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/2/12/10974744/new-top- dog-adam-larsson

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673782 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Chia better be right about Larsson. Better look like a 1st pairing guy by next season. Guess it's Lucic/Pouliot on the left.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673788 is a reply to message #673782 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Larsson better look solid as a #1 else the fans here are going to crucify him.
Likely unfair on him as I don't think he's a genuine #1 or 2 (yet), but that's hardly his fault.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673783 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Well that was underwhelming. But it is 2M in cap space, which is valuable in this day and age.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673785 is a reply to message #673755 ]
darkknight  is currently offline darkknight

No Cups

While i hate this trade if it's 1 for 1 they had to decide whether it's McDavid's team or Hall's. Clearly it's McDavid's. Lucic clearly is wrapped up.

Also, although I like Taylor Hall the player and think he matured a lot as a person I believe he isn't a good locker room guy. We had a massive divide in the locker room between young and old guys forever. I also think it's part of the reason Yak hasn't been great is that he is so unwelcome as well.

He shoots, he Sykoras

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673786 is a reply to message #673755 ]
oilersfan2  is currently offline oilersfan2

No Cups

Just when I was getting excited again about this team.......brutal trade in my opinion.

Shoot the puck!!

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673797 is a reply to message #673786 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

On first thought this is a brutal trade, however I am going to play devils advocate here and throw in the intangibles that maybe we DON'T know.
a. Did Hall request a trade
b. Was Hall actually Cancer in the room ( I personally think that could be part of the problem)
c. The ego of Hall may not have fit behind the star power of McDavid
d. Lucic is probably confirmed as coming here or he wouldn't have done this
e. There is something else brewing involving defense, lets face it #1 D do not grow on trees so maybe this is only a piece.
F. Really I am like everyone else who rates our players a lot higher than the rest of the league. We have over valued most of them. Chia had to give up something to get something.

Final thought I think that b. is a really big problem, my niece used to date him.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673830 is a reply to message #673797 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

sloiler wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 14:55

On first thought this is a brutal trade, however I am going to play devils advocate here and throw in the intangibles that maybe we DON'T know.
a. Did Hall request a trade
b. Was Hall actually Cancer in the room ( I personally think that could be part of the problem)
c. The ego of Hall may not have fit behind the star power of McDavid
d. Lucic is probably confirmed as coming here or he wouldn't have done this
e. There is something else brewing involving defense, lets face it #1 D do not grow on trees so maybe this is only a piece.
F. Really I am like everyone else who rates our players a lot higher than the rest of the league. We have over valued most of them. Chia had to give up something to get something.

Final thought I think that b. is a really big problem, my niece used to date him.

I think A was caused by C/D....B was possibly a factor (I think it may have been)

The heavy speculation of Lucic coming to Oilers in past few weeks was becoming more serious & with Pouliot/Maroon already on board at LW, Hall knew one of the 6 mil guys needed to go to pick up another Dman.

I personally like this deal because it's essentially - Hall out = Demers, Lucic, and Larsson in. Gotta clear up cap space somehow

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673789 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Hall is one of the best players in the entire League. I don't care what way you look at it but the Oilers are a worse team now.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673791 is a reply to message #673789 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RedRooster  is currently offline RedRooster

No Cups

Temporarily. Balance between front and back end quality is gradually getting closer at least.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673792 is a reply to message #673789 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

I refuse to believe this. Today never happened. Undo... undo.... undo!!! UNDO!!!!

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673793 is a reply to message #673789 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

What happens if we don't acquire Lucic?

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673794 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Klefbom / Larsson
Sekera / Demers
Davidson / Oesterle
Fayne

I mean, sure, I guess that's better than what we had last year. But that's not playoff calibre defense, and we just trade a franchise player and our absolute best trading chip to arrive at that place.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673806 is a reply to message #673794 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 13:50

Klefbom / Larsson
Sekera / Demers
Davidson / Oesterle
Fayne

I mean, sure, I guess that's better than what we had last year. But that's not playoff calibre defense, and we just trade a franchise player and our absolute best trading chip to arrive at that place.

I actually think that could be a playoff D group if it stays healthy and Larsson takes another step in his development. We should still be able to ice 2 very good offensive lines and that D is good enough to hold and fort and get pucks moving to our skilled forwards.

This is in no way a fair value trade, we should have at least got a 1st round pick and a decent prospect too. But, I think we should be able to challenge for a playoff spot next year if we end up signing Lucic and Demers.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673838 is a reply to message #673794 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheJesman  is currently offline TheJesman

No Cups

Klefbom / Larsson
Sekera / Demers
Davidson / Oesterle
Fayne

Fayne instead of Nurse? Do you really believe Nurse is that far off he wouldn't crack that top 7. Besides wouldn't him playing and gaining experience be the best for his learning at this point?

Adam Larsson 23
RNHopkins 23
Nail Yakupov 22
Oscar Klefbom 22
Darnell Nurse 21
Leon Draisaitl 20
Connor McDavid 19
Jesse Puljujarvi 18

The future looks bright...

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673867 is a reply to message #673838 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

TheJesman wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 14:23

Klefbom / Larsson
Sekera / Demers
Davidson / Oesterle
Fayne

Fayne instead of Nurse? Do you really believe Nurse is that far off he wouldn't crack that top 7. Besides wouldn't him playing and gaining experience be the best for his learning at this point?

I'm of the belief that since he has limited AHL-eligibility left, it would be wise for them to learn from Gagner, Paajarvi, etc. and actually allow him to develop in the AHL. He *might* be better than Fayne right here, right now, but I think it's best for him and the Oilers to develop in the AHL while he can. He struggled at the end of last year.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #673875 is a reply to message #673867 ]
Wed, 29 June 2016 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 14:47

TheJesman wrote on Wed, 29 June 2016 14:23

Klefbom / Larsson
Sekera / Demers
Davidson / Oesterle
Fayne

I'm of the belief that since he has limited AHL-eligibility left, it would be wise for them to learn from Gagner, Paajarvi, etc. and actually allow him to develop in the AHL. He *might* be better than Fayne right here, right now, but I think it's best for him and the Oilers to develop in the AHL while he can. He struggled at the end of last year.

I'm okay with Nurse on the farm unless he's seen a big leap from last year. He was struggling badly down the stretch.

I also don't want him in and out of the lineup as a seventh guy. Would rather see him get 25 minutes in Bakersfield.

His bonus cushion is an issue too. If Puljujarvi is on the team, then we need all the bonus space we can get.

I have a hard time believing we're getting Demers too, but who knows.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Pages (16): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible
Next Topic:Larsson a Kraken
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca