This day on October 22
Acquired: Greg Hawgood (1990)
Departed: Vladimir Ruzicka (1990)

Happy Birthday To: Oilertime, wyliecat, B.Oilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616386 is a reply to message #616382 ]
Thu, 28 November 2013 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

hmc wrote on Thu, 28 November 2013 22:01

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 28 November 2013 22:55

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Thu, 28 November 2013 19:49

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 28 November 2013 21:47

It was nice to see the Oil get another SO, but the Preds aren't the best team to test one's defensive abilities with. They are utterly terrible at scoring. There are some stiffer tests coming up later with the Stars and Avs, so I'd like to see how Bryz does against those teams before I actually start daring to feel hope again.

Would they consider coming right back with bryz vs Colombus?

I think any time a goalie gets a shutout you play him the next game, even if it's back to back. Gotta try and run with a hot streak any opportunity you get.

If anyone's interested, here's a good read on giving a goalie back-to-backs: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/4/4176206/ilya-bryzg alov-steve-mason-michael-leighton-goalies-back-to-back

Tl;dr: you probably shouldn't do it.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2412095/Goalie_rest_chart_medium.PNG

Came up with that pretty quick. Any graph on a tender starting back to back games when it's only his 2nd start in 7 months and he's Russian?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616384 is a reply to message #616365 ]
Thu, 28 November 2013 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Well, I'd say that's a pretty good starting debut for Bryzgalov. Some minor issues with the puck and rebound control on a couple occasions, but outstanding in a 33 shot goose-egg.

Having Rinne out and Weber out for a good part of this game was good for the Oilers, I think that was pretty clear. After Weber, it's startling how the quality diminishes......but Jones is going to be very good in 2-3 years. Nashville just doesn't really have the horses to get back into a game when they're down....they don't have the offensive weapons up front.

I like how the Oilers' top line was able to control play for periods of time in the offensive zone. Part of that was due to the absence of #6 for Nashville. They were all good, but I thought Hall might have had one of his better games of the season....made the smart plays most of the time, only one giveaway, and 5 shots, 1G 1A in a little over 17 minutes.

Defensively, I wasn't watching for this for the entire game, but I did notice that the Oilers' coverage in the neutral zone was better than I've seen at any time this year.

Jones & Arco played well coming back in, Arco had a wide open net that he couldn't pull the trigger on. Joenssu I think is still trying to get his game back, it seems to be coming. I don't mind the swapping of guys in and out on the 4th line....but lets be clear, the 4th line aren't difference-makers and had the Oilers been down in this game, they'd all be in single digits in minutes. Like every other team this team is going to make hay in its top 6, and bonus if the 3rd line can score. As it was, Oilers were up, the 4th line took some shifts, and the rest of the forwards will be more fresh tomorrow night as a result.

Nice way to start the trip, I'm looking for another W tomorrow night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616387 is a reply to message #616384 ]
Thu, 28 November 2013 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 28 November 2013 22:14

Well, I'd say that's a pretty good starting debut for Bryzgalov. Some minor issues with the puck and rebound control on a couple occasions, but outstanding in a 33 shot goose-egg.

Having Rinne out and Weber out for a good part of this game was good for the Oilers, I think that was pretty clear. After Weber, it's startling how the quality diminishes......but Jones is going to be very good in 2-3 years. Nashville just doesn't really have the horses to get back into a game when they're down....they don't have the offensive weapons up front.

I like how the Oilers' top line was able to control play for periods of time in the offensive zone. Part of that was due to the absence of #6 for Nashville. They were all good, but I thought Hall might have had one of his better games of the season....made the smart plays most of the time, only one giveaway, and 5 shots, 1G 1A in a little over 17 minutes.

Defensively, I wasn't watching for this for the entire game, but I did notice that the Oilers' coverage in the neutral zone was better than I've seen at any time this year.

Jones & Arco played well coming back in, Arco had a wide open net that he couldn't pull the trigger on. Joenssu I think is still trying to get his game back, it seems to be coming. I don't mind the swapping of guys in and out on the 4th line....but lets be clear, the 4th line aren't difference-makers and had the Oilers been down in this game, they'd all be in single digits in minutes. Like every other team this team is going to make hay in its top 6, and bonus if the 3rd line can score. As it was, Oilers were up, the 4th line took some shifts, and the rest of the forwards will be more fresh tomorrow night as a result.

Nice way to start the trip, I'm looking for another W tomorrow night.

True that if the Oilers were down their ice time probably would have decreased BUT if Acton/Gazdic/JJ was the 4th line would they have been out protecting a 2 goal lead with a couple minutes left? No.

Not thRe: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616390 is a reply to message #616387 ]
Thu, 28 November 2013 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Not the greatest game but it wasn't a bad game and at least we are beating the teams we are supposed to. Now if we can only starting winning the ones we aren't expected to and steal some actual points. Bryz fought the puck at times but he made the important saves when he had to. Hopefully he can steal some games for us.....

I would like to be the first to thank Kevin Lowe for the lost decade....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616392 is a reply to message #616365 ]
Thu, 28 November 2013 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

1 Cup

Considering who we played, I was into every minute of this game, cause I was excited to see each play on Bryz. He was great. Can't wait to see more.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616395 is a reply to message #616392 ]
Fri, 29 November 2013 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

That was a good win, now lets put another 2 or 3 on the bounce and take small steps upwards. From the highlights, Bryz seemed OK, I know a few things bounced, but it looked (from the highlights) like a guy who's not played to much for a while. Still some ring rust, but a nice start.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616396 is a reply to message #616365 ]
Fri, 29 November 2013 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

1 Cup

It's almost the smallest of sample sizes, but I really hope Bryz is the real deal. Great game!!

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616398 is a reply to message #616365 ]
Fri, 29 November 2013 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

1 Cup

Nice win tonight. By the look of things, the top line was carrying alot of the play.

Still 33 shots from a team that not very offensive...yeesh.

On to the next game...Columbus might be looking for payback and coming guns ablazing.

Litmus test again with the Stars and Avs upcoming...

Adam wrote

Maybe it's fitting to have found religion in the room because on most nights this team doesn't have a prayer.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616404 is a reply to message #616365 ]
Fri, 29 November 2013 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Disneyland.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616405 is a reply to message #616365 ]
Fri, 29 November 2013 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok is currently online eedok

No Cups

love this picture from the game
http://i.imgur.com/a6Mce72.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616408 is a reply to message #616405 ]
Fri, 29 November 2013 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

eedok wrote on Fri, 29 November 2013 09:24

love this picture from the game
snipped

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #26) [message #616454 is a reply to message #616365 ]
Fri, 29 November 2013 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feepa  is currently offline feepa

1 Cup

I felt this was a good picture summary of the game.

http://i.imgur.com/a6Mce72.jpg

(src: imgur.com)

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #27)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #27)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca