F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Bryzgalov RecalledPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615431]
Sun, 17 November 2013 13:55 Go to next message
Shad1216  is currently offline Shad1216

No Cups

Surprising not to see it on the forum yet...

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=22853&navid=D L|EDM|home

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615433 is a reply to message #615431 ]
Sun, 17 November 2013 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I feel like management should have been a little more patient here. Bryz likely needs to get his feet a bit more wet. I was think 3-4 games total. Wouldn't be terrible as it seems like Dubs is starting to play well again.

Then again, Oilers management isn't the most patient. Injuries, conditioning etc.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615434 is a reply to message #615433 ]
Sun, 17 November 2013 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerman53  is currently offline Oilerman53

No Cups

Hopefully they can push each other for the rest of the season. Dubey has looked solid his last few outings.

After 8 years of ineptitude you begin to wonder whose the real schmuck? Them for sucking or me for cheering....... *cracks open bottle of whiskey*.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615435 is a reply to message #615434 ]
Sun, 17 November 2013 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Dubs has looked like he did last season since we signed Bryz. Maybe he got complacent when we officially signed a backup this summer?

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615436 is a reply to message #615434 ]
Sun, 17 November 2013 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Oilerman53 wrote on Sun, 17 November 2013 14:45

Hopefully they can push each other for the rest of the season. Dubey has looked solid his last few outings.

He still hasn't looked all that great to me. Fewer poor goals, but a lot of rebounds and a lot of times where he isn't "feeling" the puck and it just kind of sits there.

In any case, with Dubnyk approaching UFA, I don't want a huge contract given to a guy who has to have another pseudo-starter beside him in order to play well. I'd rather pay more in assets and/or money to get a guy who can find that level of compete on his own, and then sign a capable guy to back him up (i.e. Scrivens).

We'll see what happens. Dubnyk is playing better, but I'm still not satisfied with his game or confident in signing him long-term.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615449 is a reply to message #615436 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

If Dunbyk needs someone threatening to take his job to play decent then he's not worth it long term.

Will be interesting to see how the Bryz gamble pays out.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615450 is a reply to message #615436 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 17 November 2013 14:01

He still hasn't looked all that great to me. Fewer poor goals, but a lot of rebounds and a lot of times where he isn't "feeling" the puck and it just kind of sits there.

In any case, with Dubnyk approaching UFA, I don't want a huge contract given to a guy who has to have another pseudo-starter beside him in order to play well. I'd rather pay more in assets and/or money to get a guy who can find that level of compete on his own, and then sign a capable guy to back him up (i.e. Scrivens).

We'll see what happens. Dubnyk is playing better, but I'm still not satisfied with his game or confident in signing him long-term.

This is the big difference. Doobs is a freaking rebound machine, puck comes off him like a pin ball machine, and its one of his greatest weaknesses, the good goalies will absorb the puck, or put it somewhere safe, intentionally, Doobs is just happy he gets his body in the way, rebounds are secondary. Watch Mr. Breez when he plays, he actively controls his rebounds, its a focus, and even talked about working on it during his interview after the 1st OKC game.

I think Breez could use a few more games in OKC, but I think the Oil want him to get integrated with the club as soon as they can through practices, being around the team, can't just drop the guy in the dressing room and then start a game. I think he's an upgrade, and will do well fro the rest of the season. He's been a top goalie in teh NHL before, the Oil aren't a Cup contender, low pressure, he'll relax, and play his best. IMHO

[Updated on: Mon, 18 November 2013 04:12]

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615465 is a reply to message #615436 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

1 Cup

I can't fathom a universe where Dubnyk is a part of the Oilers next year. I was a supporter of the guy for a long time, but he has buried himself too deep to be considered a starter long term.

All of his good NHL games have occurred when the games don't matter. He has been poor at the start of the season more than once now. Khabi made it look OK a couple of years ago, but LaBarbs couldn't do the same.

It's the end of the road, and unfortunately I don't see a replacement on the horizon. MacT has his work cut out for him.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615466 is a reply to message #615465 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 11:12

I can't fathom a universe where Dubnyk is a part of the Oilers next year. I was a supporter of the guy for a long time, but he has buried himself too deep to be considered a starter long term.

All of his good NHL games have occurred when the games don't matter. He has been poor at the start of the season more than once now. Khabi made it look OK a couple of years ago, but LaBarbs couldn't do the same.

It's the end of the road, and unfortunately I don't see a replacement on the horizon. MacT has his work cut out for him.

It doesn't sound good for him. I think the Oilers dropped the ball with Dubnyk to an extent. As easy as it is to say, you're getting paid lots, just shut out all the distractions and stop the puck, it's harder to actually do it, and when your team continually leaks their interest in other netminders to take your job, it has to wreak havoc on your confidence. That's not a free pass - he struggled this year, and there's no way around that, but I think it's a factor.

With the off-the-cuff shot that Eberle took at the goaltending the other day, it sounds like the team has lost some confidence in Dubnyk as well (although given the atrocious defending, the countless giveaways and the below average scoring, I don't think anyone on this team should be pointing fingers).

I think a change of scenery will probably do Dubnyk some good and he may yet be a starter in the league...just not in Edmonton.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615472 is a reply to message #615466 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larmal  is currently offline Larmal

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 12:34

I think a change of scenery will probably do _______ some good and he may yet be a starter in the league...just not in Edmonton.

If I had a nickel everytime we said that about an Oiler I could have purchased the team twice.

You got a date Wednesday, baby!

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615473 is a reply to message #615472 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Larmal wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 13:04

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 12:34

I think a change of scenery will probably do _______ some good and he may yet be a starter in the league...just not in Edmonton.

If I had a nickel everytime we said that about an Oiler I could have purchased the team twice.

It's sad how often it's true. Arnott won Stanley Cups and had a great year after he left. Tom Poti was briefly a top-ten scoring defenceman. Cogliano's been really good...much better than Belanger - the guy we replaced him with. Penner won another Cup after leaving, and is doing great so far this year. It's certainly not everyone who leaves who does better, but there's a lot of them that do, and mostly guys who leave here in their mid-20s.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615522 is a reply to message #615466 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 10:34

It doesn't sound good for him. I think the Oilers dropped the ball with Dubnyk to an extent. As easy as it is to say, you're getting paid lots, just shut out all the distractions and stop the puck, it's harder to actually do it, and when your team continually leaks their interest in other netminders to take your job, it has to wreak havoc on your confidence. That's not a free pass - he struggled this year, and there's no way around that, but I think it's a factor.

With the off-the-cuff shot that Eberle took at the goaltending the other day, it sounds like the team has lost some confidence in Dubnyk as well (although given the atrocious defending, the countless giveaways and the below average scoring, I don't think anyone on this team should be pointing fingers).

I think a change of scenery will probably do Dubnyk some good and he may yet be a starter in the league...just not in Edmonton.

What did Eberle say?

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615523 is a reply to message #615522 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 23:02

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 10:34

What did Eberle say?

I quoted it in another thread so apologies for duplication, but in an interview with Jack Michaels, when asked why the PK was better lately, he started his answer with, "well it sure helps when you're getting the Saves back there." He went on to say that Dubnyk was playing well now, but there was a pretty strong implication there that the PK had been bad because goaltending was letting them down. I think if they believe it's just net minding, then things may have to get worse before they get better.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615453 is a reply to message #615431 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Too soon, but what the heck do we know?! I mean we're led by a guy who knows a little about winning so..

..this team.. doh

Would it kill anyone to have Bryz work a few more games down there? We can lose just fine without him here.

Here Come the Oilers™ icon_rolleyes

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615458 is a reply to message #615453 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 08:55

Too soon, but what the heck do we know?! I mean we're led by a guy who knows a little about winning so..

..this team.. doh

Would it kill anyone to have Bryz work a few more games down there? We can lose just fine without him here.

The challenge is that AHL teams are weekend warriors. There doesn't tend to be many mid-week games and there's only a few days left on his conditioning stint, so he would have had to come up anyhow by Saturday.

If he's just going to get practice time, it may as well be with NHL shooters.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615469 is a reply to message #615431 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Welcome to Edmonton, Bryz.
Hope you like the weather.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615471 is a reply to message #615469 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 12:24

The man's from Russia, so this weather probably makes him feel at home.

"Life is warfare and the sojourn of a stranger in a strange land." - Marcus Aurelius

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615478 is a reply to message #615471 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 12:34

In his hometown right now? Plus seven! Plus seven and raining.

Here it's minus thirty-two!

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615483 is a reply to message #615478 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

JPro wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 15:01

It's not -32. It only feels like -20. So what if that's the high for today.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615486 is a reply to message #615483 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

2 Cups

Spector has got to be right up there with Damian Cox in the hunt for "worst sports journalist in Canada".

What a dickbag. Just sensationalist, inflammatory nonsense - no matter what he's writing about.

"I'm not reading Skoobz' banter." - NotLeeFogolin
Buy out Nikitin.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615489 is a reply to message #615486 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 15:45

Spector has got to be right up there with Damian Cox in the hunt for "worst sports journalist in Canada".

What a dickbag. Just sensationalist, inflammatory nonsense - no matter what he's writing about.

Exactly my thoughts. He's always looking to start controversy. He's as xenophobic as Cherry, but with a fraction of the work ethic.

If there's no story to write about, he just twists words and makes one up.

Seriously, what does he expect? Does he think Bryzgalov should be saying, "Yeah, I suck and Philly was right to buy me out. They should have never signed me to that stupid deal in the first place." It's a retarded question to even ask the guy.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615492 is a reply to message #615489 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

I don't know what's more embarrassing, the team's record for the first twenty games, incompetent management, or bone head media.

I used to like Rishaug, but this season he has been a complete tool. As bad or worse than Spec.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 November 2013 16:01]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615533 is a reply to message #615489 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Anybody hear Rishaug keeping up the media gangsta act on 1260 this morning? Justifying badgering Bryzgalov about his attitude, and continuing to make the news media the news.

These poseurs need to start throwing some of these haymakers at MacT, Lowe, Ference, Gagner and all of the wondercrew.

Once again, they know they're going to get more mileage out of "Bryz is arrogant and refuses to change the horrible selfish attitude that got him kicked out of Philly" than "looking forward to a fresh start, Ilya?"

Lameasses.

Buy out Nikitin.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615534 is a reply to message #615533 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 08:50

Anybody hear Rishaug keeping up the media gangsta act on 1260 this morning? Justifying badgering Bryzgalov about his attitude, and continuing to make the news media the news.

These poseurs need to start throwing some of these haymakers at MacT, Lowe, Ference, Gagner and all of the wondercrew.

Once again, they know they're going to get more mileage out of "Bryz is arrogant and refuses to change the horrible selfish attitude that got him kicked out of Philly" than "looking forward to a fresh start, Ilya?"

Lameasses.

I did hear that (on the longest commute of all-time). Sounds like Rishaug has been beaten up on twitter about the last couple of interviews.

He's suddenly decided he's a hard-hitting ace reporter...of course, he's only digging in to soft targets though. I like how he makes it sound like he's doing the people a service in attacking a goalie about a single high profile hockey game that happened two years ago.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615535 is a reply to message #615534 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 09:19

Lameasses.

I did hear that (on the longest commute of all-time). Sounds like Rishaug has been beaten up on twitter about the last couple of interviews.

He's suddenly decided he's a hard-hitting ace reporter...of course, he's only digging in to soft targets though. I like how he makes it sound like he's doing the people a service in attacking a goalie about a single high profile hockey game that happened two years ago.

I wonder if TSN has directed him to "up the ante"?

I used to really like him and enjoyed the "Morning Mandate", but he's becoming such a pompous loudmouth, that he's losing his credibility.

Buy out Nikitin.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615536 is a reply to message #615535 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 09:29

Lameasses.

I wonder if TSN has directed him to "up the ante"?

I used to really like him and enjoyed the "Morning Mandate", but he's becoming such a pompous loudmouth, that he's losing his credibility.

"Why can't you be more like Spector?"

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615540 is a reply to message #615535 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

http://oilersnation.com/2013/11/18/the-bryz-witch-hunt-begin s

Rishaug and others called out. But sadly, it's by Wanye whose usual writing style makes him hard to take seriously. I'd really like to see one of the other reporters call out his brethren on this. It'll never happen though.

I have to say, Bryzgalov does very well in a very tough scrum. He can see the corner they're trying to paint him in, and I thought he answered very well.

It's funny though, the whole interview could have been a lot shorter if they actually listened to what he said in the first two minutes:

A) I don't want to talk about Philly. I feel it's in the past and let's leave it there.

B) Don't judge me based on what you've heard from other people in other towns, give me a chance to prove myself here and judge me at the end of the year on what I've done here.

Of course, the Edmonton media is too crappy to listen to answers that aren't the ones they're looking for so they just continue to ask about Philly and about things others have said about Bryzgalov in the past.

It's embarrassing for Edmonton.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 November 2013 10:05]

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615541 is a reply to message #615534 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Lameasses.

It was pretty silly when you think about it.

(Paraphrased)

Rishaug: "After how things went down in Philly, we had to ask him if he had changed and done some soul searching or if he didn't know what was wrong in Philly and was still just going to be himself?"

To which Bryzgalov answered he was going to be himself and he didn't know what went wrong in Philly.

Neilson: "So he's just going to be himself like he was in Philly?"

Rishaug: "No, I don't believe that."

So really, Rishaug is talking about how important it was for the media to ask probing questions to find out what kind of attitude Bryzgalov has, and is carrying on about the importance of it... and then basically disregards Bryzgalov's answer entirely and creates his own interpretation. So, really, if he had his own view and wasn't going to listen to Bryzgalov anyways, why is it so important for him to interview him?

The media really only wants soundbytes to fill in the stories they want to create.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615587 is a reply to message #615541 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 10:12

Lameasses.

It was pretty silly when you think about it.

(Paraphrased)

Rishaug: "After how things went down in Philly, we had to ask him if he had changed and done some soul searching or if he didn't know what was wrong in Philly and was still just going to be himself?"

To which Bryzgalov answered he was going to be himself and he didn't know what went wrong in Philly.

Neilson: "So he's just going to be himself like he was in Philly?"

Rishaug: "No, I don't believe that."

So really, Rishaug is talking about how important it was for the media to ask probing questions to find out what kind of attitude Bryzgalov has, and is carrying on about the importance of it... and then basically disregards Bryzgalov's answer entirely and creates his own interpretation. So, really, if he had his own view and wasn't going to listen to Bryzgalov anyways, why is it so important for him to interview him?

The media really only wants soundbytes to fill in the stories they want to create.

The problem is, much as we'd like to believe otherwise, the majority of Oilers fans buy right into the mass media narrative. Talking to people about Hemsky and hearing how bad he is, how he never fights the tough battles - all because the media has told them that.

And that's the problem, really. The 'informed' fan - we know who's playing well, who isn't, and who the problems are. The 'average' fan, on the other hand, believes what the newspaper or radio guy tells them - Yakupov is the problem! Trade Yakupov! The day after that interview I was listening to Sonic and they were in agreement that he needs to go.

It makes me wish everyone could be as informed as the people on this site.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615590 is a reply to message #615587 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

The worst is arguing with those people. They constantly say that they're relying on the experts and how could we know any better. That's painful, but it's always painful talking to people who don't cue into basic facts, such as, media people are paid to make good stories for the general public, not report high quality information at an objective level regardless ofsales.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615592 is a reply to message #615590 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:50

The worst is arguing with those people. They constantly say that they're relying on the experts and how could we know any better. That's painful, but it's always painful talking to people who don't cue into basic facts, such as, media people are paid to make good stories for the general public, not report high quality information at an objective level regardless ofsales.

This is why I never discuss hockey outside of the internet and close friends. My coworkers just parrot what they get from the papers and radio. Nothing makes me cringe more than when I overhear some people discuss Hemsky/Horcoff/Yakupov in public. More often than not it's completely wrong.

But I just can't be that guy. So I bottle it up. Serenity now.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615594 is a reply to message #615592 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

JPro wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:57

This is why I never discuss hockey outside of the internet and close friends. My coworkers just parrot what they get from the papers and radio. Nothing makes me cringe more than when I overhear some people discuss Hemsky/Horcoff/Yakupov in public. More often than not it's completely wrong.

I've started going off on people, like a prophet sent from the stars to inform the neophytes I drink beer with. I'm the same way with unattended children that make messes in stores. It's my divine duty to say something and to shame. SHAME.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615597 is a reply to message #615594 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:59

I've started going off on people, like a prophet sent from the stars to inform the neophytes I drink beer with. I'm the same way with unattended children that make messes in stores. It's my divine duty to say something and to shame. SHAME.

Me too. I'm THAT guy more often than not. Sometimes I think, nah, I won't get in to it. Then the guy I'm talking to gets up a head of steam, and eventually parrots something so dumb I can't help but respond.

People have come to expect it of me though...

I would guess that most people posting in here are the "hockey encyclopedia" in their group of friends, so eventually someone is going to ask what you think or look to you to validate their thoughts on the team. I feel it's my duty to withhold that validation unless they're truly worthy.

I do hate the almost-cliche lines: "Hemsky isn't a team player, he always is the first one off after practice." "Why send Nurse back to juniors? He can't learn anything more down there?" "European players are soft." Ugh.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615614 is a reply to message #615597 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

I can't tell you the number of times I get asked, "what's wrong with the Oilers" from those I know who follow hockey, but only via the highlights in the morning. One morning during the Yakupov mess I gave one guy the answer: "youth."

I'm also guessing that the higher your post count on here, the more likely you'll spout your views in public as well. Yes, there's outliers, but I doubt most of us are the quiet type. Someone called me "quiet" once and I genuinely laughed at them, before thanking them and explaining it was the first time in my 30+ years I had called quiet. I think Bryzgalov and I would have some interesting talks.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615620 is a reply to message #615614 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

Hibernia wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 17:03

I can't tell you the number of times I get asked, "what's wrong with the Oilers" from those I know who follow hockey, but only via the highlights in the morning. One morning during the Yakupov mess I gave one guy the answer: "youth."

I'm also guessing that the higher your post count on here, the more likely you'll spout your views in public as well. Yes, there's outliers, but I doubt most of us are the quiet type. Someone called me "quiet" once and I genuinely laughed at them, before thanking them and explaining it was the first time in my 30+ years I had called quiet. I think Bryzgalov and I would have some interesting talks.

Ya .. I'm normally the quiet type ,, in here as well .
And I agree ..... "youth" is the general issue. But accompanied with the fear of making a mistake that results in a goal against ???? That stifles their creativity and aggressiveness for the most part. I wish the coaching staff would just let them play pond hockey sometimes ..... we'd lose just as much I suspect, but at least I would feel entertained more than I do now; .... No fear guys just go out and play your best !!
... Do any of you remember how much Grant Fuhr was left hanging out to dry???

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615596 is a reply to message #615592 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

I find myself with coworkers just throwing in basic stats, or minor objections, then watch the pooeaters go at each other.

That said, Ryan Smyth chat around here has mirrored very closely to at work hockey chat lately. You know who yous are, hang your heads in shame.

http://www.chrispeters.com/Framed-Shame.jpg

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615593 is a reply to message #615534 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 08:19

Lameasses.

Ya, the classic lines the media use to justify anything and everything they do, no matter how classless, "we wouldn't be doing our job", "the people want to know". And you're right they usually go after the easy target (because they're lazy and uncreative),, the easy stories, and then try to pry them open big and wide to milk the story for as long as they can.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615487 is a reply to message #615483 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 15:23

JPro wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 15:01

It's not -32. It only feels like -20. So what if that's the high for today.

That's forty degree difference! Plus seven!

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615496 is a reply to message #615471 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 18 November 2013 11:34

Just send him to Uncle Ed's, once he plows into a few plates of perogies, cabbage rolls, and borscht, he'll be feeling right at home, ..just keep him away from the Smirnoff!

Re: Bryzgalov Recalled [message #615482 is a reply to message #615431 ]
Mon, 18 November 2013 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

And the first attack from an Edmonton media guy is under way:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bryzgalov-officially-brin gs-his-act-to-oilers/

Quote:

Reporter “Do you see this as a second chance for you?”

Bryzgalov “What do you mean?”

Reporter “Just, the way things ended up in Philadelphia…”

Bryzgalov “I never lost my first chance, you know.”

So it turns out that Bryzgalov, a contrarian if nothing else, was not blackballed by hockey these past few months. He just took a little longer to find a contract after that compliance-buyout thing in Philadelphia. The whole situation was completely out of his control, actually, which must include a save percentage that ranked 59th and 55th among NHL goalies the past two seasons. Does being paid $23 million over 14 years just to go away bother him? “Not at all,” Bryzgalov says, breaking into a big smile. “You know, it’s out of my control. I can’t do anything about it. It’s just like, ‘Ok, guys. If you decide… to make that move, I’ve just got to accept it and move on.’”

So perhaps this is a place to start, when trying to get inside one of the smartest, most enigmatic, and at times proficient goalies in the National Hockey League. Is Bryzgalov easily misunderstood? Well, almost every other player would offer some humility at the prospect of being paid that much money to leave town. Bryzgalov offers none, and comes across like he had no part to play in the decision—even though his numbers in Philly were poor. It’s quotes like these that get him into trouble, not the Mr. Universe stuff on HBO, or the quirky stuff about being scared of bears.

Quote:

After bad reports from inside the Flyers room, it will be more important what his teammates here think. Eakins has mined all of his sources and claims he was told that Bryzgalov will be a fine teammate. I heard different, and asked veteran Ryan Smyth what Bryzgalov’s priorities should be upon joining his latest team here in Edmonton. “Put the team before yourself,” he says. “And, absolutely, stop the puck. But first and foremost, be a team-first guy.”

I bet Spector had this written up before he even went to the rink...all he had to do was find the quotes he was going to plug in.

What a hack. He even manages his once-an-article shot at advanced stats (ie. things he doesn't understand because he's too lazy to find out what they mean.)

Also, nice of Smytty to pipe up and help Spec write his story.

Quote:

There is a sliding scale of how much drama one player is allowed to bring to an NHL room compared to his value to the team’s performance. As Bryzgalov’s play slipped, the drama increased. After an .887 save percentage during the 2012 playoffs, his value had expired. There is no advanced stat for this, but we can tell you unequivocally, this is how things work in the NHL.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 November 2013 15:22]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Next Topic:LaBarbera on waivers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca