This day on September 18
Departed: Ilya Byakin (1994)

Happy Birthday To: funbobbyp, no1oilerfan, Gunder, Superintendent, German Oiler, strikeoil, cariboo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » MacT to address the Media today?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 MacT to address the Media today? [message #614786]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:26 Go to next message
feepa  is currently offline feepa

1 Cup

Anyone know what might be discussed?

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 21m
Craig Mactavish expected to talk to media today.

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug

Send a private message to this user  

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614787 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemskyfan99  is currently offline hemskyfan99

2 Cups

He is stepping down.
Firing the Coach.
Taking over as President of Hockey operations.
He just wanted face time for the circus.
Disclosing they will not draft Ekblad with the 1st overall pick and the circus continues.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 November 2013 12:30]

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614789 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6  is currently offline 6zeppelin6

1 Cup

feepa wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 12:26

Anyone know what might be discussed?

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 21m
Craig Mactavish expected to talk to media today.

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug

My Guess:

We want to thank our fans for their continued support. Kevin Lowe has been promoted to Super Awesome President of Winning. That Russian pick took some long shifts last night so Ill just stop talking for a couple minutes so the reporters to find a way to crucify him.

And we believe in the team we have. We are happy with our results this far.

Thank you.

Honest guess - Coaching change but not Eakins.

HOPE

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3882/signuz.jpg

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614790 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

1 Cup

I'm curious as well, I seen this and asked but nobody seems to know.
Perhaps it's the trade that makes losing Smid easier?
Lowe is fired?
One of Hemsky or Gagner traded?

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614791 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

There are no tanks in Baghdad!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/PsychoPsonic/Repugs/Baghdad_Bob.gif

[Updated on: Thu, 14 November 2013 12:34]

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614792 is a reply to message #614791 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Actual quotes from Edm Oil twitter:

Edmonton Oilers ‏MacTavish says the #Oilers "self-destructed" in their first six games, continuing to say "low point" so far was Detroit game.

Edmonton Oilers"Things have obviously not gone as well as I would have thought probable." - #Oilers GM Craig MacTavish

"I'm going to continue to support this group, and I think the players deserve my support... I feel and see progress." - GM MacTavish

#Oilers MacTavish: "if I thought for one instant it was a lack of work ethic on the players part, we'd be having a much different convo"

Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack 5m
MacTavish says 1st 5-6 games Oilers "self-destructed," and made "Junior mistakes.". From there, d-zone coverage suffered, low point was DET.

"What this team needs is continuity in coaching, and they're going to get it... he's hitting all the right messages." - MacT on Eakins

#Oilers view Laurent Brossoit as a future number one goalie. MacTavish says they didn't have that in that age bracket before Smid trade.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 22s
"I'm frustrated, I'm pissed off... I want to see results." - MacTavish, says he continues to work to acquire handful of missing pieces

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 5s
"I have not seen the same, beat-up, negative group that I've seen here in the past." - GM MacTavish on #Oilers locker room morale

"Now is the time to build the trust in these players. It's my obligation to support these guys." - MacTavish on the #Oilers core group

"The blueline needs to be improved upon... Do we need a big stud defenceman? It would help immensely." - MacTavish on #Oilers D

"Our default is to kick out and not go to the net or tough areas. We need to get our group there or bring guys in who will go there." MacT

"When you are 3 or 4 pieces away from making a push you realize how hard ir is to acquire those pieces." MacTavish

"We need continuity. The next step for us is to addspeed in our defensive game. We are still trying to add big, heavy players. " MacT

MacTavish says he told players that "it's OK to come in and enjoy the game. They'll need that energy."

"My message to the fans is we are all feeling the same frustration. We will keep trying. Ultimately we will be a better team." MacT

"It's painful, but we're going to get through this and eventually be a much improved team." - GM MacTavish message to #Oilers fans

When it comes to making deals, MacTavish says all teams want one of his core pieces. He's not willing to part with one of those at this time

The challenge is not to do anything irrational." MacTavish

"I don't view another first round draft choice as what we need. Whether I can get suitable value for that remains to be seen." MacT

[Updated on: Thu, 14 November 2013 12:58]

HOPE

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614793 is a reply to message #614792 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales Cooper  is currently offline Ales Cooper

1 Cup

bla bla bla same ol same ol.

He made a trade last week for the sake of making a trade, now calls a presser for the sake of calling a presser. icon_thumbsup

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614794 is a reply to message #614793 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemskyfan99  is currently offline hemskyfan99

2 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 12:35

He made a trade last week for the sake of making a trade, now calls a presser for the sake of calling a presser. icon_thumbsup

So face time for the circus... great...

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614797 is a reply to message #614794 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

hemskyfan99 wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 12:36

So face time for the circus... great...

At least he didn't tell us what other trades he tried to make, so I see this as a positive step...roll eyes now

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614796 is a reply to message #614793 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

This organization is ALL talk.

I eagerly await our golden boy coach's next cutesy quip.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614795 is a reply to message #614792 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

6zeppelin6 wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 12:33

"What this team needs is continuity in coaching, and they're going to get it... he's hitting all the right messages." - MacT on Eakins

So MacT has said his own version of MacT isn't going anywhere?

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614798 is a reply to message #614792 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Actual quotes from

When it comes to making deals, MacTavish says all teams want one of his core pieces. He's not willing to part with one of those at this time

The challenge is not to do anything irrational." MacTavish

This part bothers me a bit. Clearly Downie, who is exactly the type of player we need, gets traded for Talbot and your telling me they want a core piece for him to the Oilers? Obviously we have different ideas of what deals need to be made.

HOPE

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614809 is a reply to message #614792 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

We aren't winning any games, but it isn't really anyone's fault.

We badly need strong and rough to play against d-men, that's why I had to trade Smid away last week.

What this team needs is consistency in coaching, which is why I had to fire the coach 20 games ago.

Keep up the great work, MacLowe.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614834 is a reply to message #614792 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

Actual quotes from Edm Oil twitter:

"The challenge is not to do anything irrational." MacTavish

Ok, time for some old school math to figure out what MacT is really saying

The challenge is not to do anything irrational.

Now cancel out the negatives-

The challenge is not to do anything irrational.

And you are left with the thought process of our current brain trust-

The challenge is to do anything rational.

Is it melancholy to think that a world that Robin Williams can’t live in must be broken? -Russell Brand

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614799 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Well, heres what I have to say as a fan. I'm not satisfied. We've had 7 or 8 years of excuses. I'm fed up with management telling us fans they are liking the direction we are headed in? Sees improvement? How is losing to Dallas 3-0 an improvement? This team is trending downwards from last year, not up. We have a weaker D, and weaker goaltender. I actually miss Khabi. At least he could win us a few games we didnt deserve to win at times.

Also, one of Eberle, Hall, Nuge, or Yaks has to go and get us something in return on the blueline. One of those pieces can be seen as redundant, and should be able to fetch us something.

Give me some sign of hope this weekend by beating Calgary. Lose both games Friday/Saturday? I'm not tuning into this gong show again until we go on a 10 game winning streak, or some other remarkable feat. I realize it's November, and the team isn't making the playoffs in April, but these guys should all be playing to show they still deserve a spot on this or any team.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 November 2013 12:58]

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614866 is a reply to message #614799 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

Stop it Feepa. You just said you wanted Khabibulin back. Get yourself together man.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614802 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Ugh. What was the point of that? Just to give the media lapdogs something to write for tomorrow?

Show me. Quit talking. I'm sick of it.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614804 is a reply to message #614802 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 13:07

Ugh. What was the point of that? Just to give the media lapdogs something to write for tomorrow?

I don't mind the idea of holding a useless press conference. This tells me the upper manage, who I think has clearly lost their grip, has heard from either the fans or the big boss man that there is a lot of discontent among the public. And (judging from the quotes) he's telling everyone in the organization that rash changes aren't coming and to just focus on not being shut out tomorrow. Something needed to be said, so he said something.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614805 is a reply to message #614802 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

I didn't mind it, actually. The changes that I feel need to happen are either A) big ticket trades (we do need a good defenseman) or B) outside of MacT's control (Lowe has to go). As much as the standings show we've sucked hard, I've seen some stuff recently that at least looks better than it did.

How much of our suck is organizational rot and how much is tearing down a lot of the foundations we've been building on so we can start fresh is up in the air, as is whether or not Eakins is the right guy for the job, but I feel like this is the first season where we're sucking because we're no longer thinking we're just 'one piece away, honest', or whatever other snake oil Lowe's been peddling.

I don't know. I actually like MacT, a whole hell of a lot more than Lowe, but I think we need to clean house and make a few hard decisions - I just don't know if I trust MacT to make the right hard decisions.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614883 is a reply to message #614805 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 13:18

I didn't mind it, actually. The changes that I feel need to happen are either A) big ticket trades (we do need a good defenseman) or B) outside of MacT's control (Lowe has to go). As much as the standings show we've sucked hard, I've seen some stuff recently that at least looks better than it did.

How much of our suck is organizational rot and how much is tearing down a lot of the foundations we've been building on so we can start fresh is up in the air, as is whether or not Eakins is the right guy for the job, but I feel like this is the first season where we're sucking because we're no longer thinking we're just 'one piece away, honest', or whatever other snake oil Lowe's been peddling.

I don't know. I actually like MacT, a whole hell of a lot more than Lowe, but I think we need to clean house and make a few hard decisions - I just don't know if I trust MacT to make the right hard decisions.

There's a couple good things about this press conference:

1) MacT announced there's not going to be a public blood-letting. As cathartic as it is for fans to see heads roll, it's probably not going to help the team. The list of replacement choices are few, and most aren't currently working for someone else for a reason. It's no secret I think Eakins has tried to be too clever for his own good, but he's the fifth coach in six years. We really can't keep firing coaches. We have to hope that just like his players he grows and develops. He's got as much work as any of them to get there, so I hope he's got something besides ego and can learn from his many, many mistakes in the first 20 games of his NHL career.

2) He made it clear that he's not going to do something stupid. I hope that's true. As mightyreasoner says, it's just words, so he's going to have to prove that he can fend off the Edmonton media horde and their not-so-subtle comments about trading that "typical Russian".

But there's a few things I don't like about this as well:

1) He's let everyone off the hook again by reaffirming once more that we don't have the mix here. He's further excused them by saying that they're playing better in the losses now than they did in the losses earlier in the season. I'm not sure how he concludes that on the day after a game where we rarely even threatened to score.

As for the mix, I've said it again and again, MacTavish SHOULD recognize the deficiencies in his lineup and look to find ways to address those. He should not talk about them, because he's telling his players that they aren't in a position to succeed and won't be until some future other shoe drops. Oh, and not just one shoe...three or four apparently.

2) In saying he needs to change the mix, there's a few players on the team that can probably guess they're in line to get replaced. Not because of how they're playing...that would be fine...but rather because they don't fit a certain physical profile. Again, this is another reason why you don't need to say anything. Mark Arcobello has probably figured out that the Oilers don't have him in any future plans. He's still living in a hotel room despite being one of the top scorers a quarter of the way through the season, after all, but he's been reminded by his boss today that the Oilers really are looking for someone bigger to do his job.

Ryan Smyth, Ryan Jones? Don't get comfortable. We may have your replacement on the way. Ales Hemsky? Remember when we said you're off the market? Well, you're officially back on it. Just pray we don't trade you to Buffalo or Philly so your misery can continue.

3) If you're a member of that blueline, you got thrown under the bus today too. "Not an NHL-calibre defence" says MacTavish. Well, that defence started the season with Ference, Nick Schultz, Smid...all long-term vets. Petry's probably been the most consistent guy and is approaching his 200th game in the league. Belov's a rookie but no spring chicken and has been one of Eakins' most used guys. Justin Schultz has some development to do, but he's still basically a rookie, 60-odd games in to his career. So who's not NHL calibre? All the extra defencemen we've used this year? That can't be a comment just about the sixth & seventh defencemen.

Again, he's pretty clear that there's pieces getting replaced on the blueline there, so if you're Nick Schultz, do you start packing extra on road trips? All the rest have been getting used to shuttling between OKC and Edmonton so they are already packing a few extra sets of clothes.

Also, he's creating a divide here. He's giving the forwards (who are in the bottom half of the league in scoring and who need to take some responsibility for the league worst goals against) a pass here because they're playing in front of a defence that's not NHL calibre.

These defence (including the team captain) must be getting tired of taking the blame here. The system calls for two defencemen to commit to the puck carrier. One supposedly has to pin the guy first, but the other defenceman has to be close enough to get in when that happens. It's a system that has an inherent risk that if the guy shakes a check or makes a great pass, we're pooched. And yet the coach says the defence corp doesn't understand fundamental defence, and the GM says they're not NHL-calibre.

3) He over-promises again. MacT says he won't make a stupid rash trade. That's good. But he says that he needs to go out and get us 3-4 pieces, preferably heavy bodies, possibly including a true #1 defenceman. Anyone expect that's going to be an easy thing to accomplish? Anyone think that outlining your wishlist to the media is going to help you get it at an affordable price from your competition who just heard you promise it to your customers?

Stop talking about what we want to do. Start demanding more of the players you have in the room without throwing several of them under the bus. Don't tell me which pieces are in play. Save that for people you're actually negotiating with. I'm fine with being surprised, especially if you make a sharp move.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614808 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

One word summary: Delusional.

3 consecutive games shutout at home, and yet he sees improvement.

This is the guy running the team.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614810 is a reply to message #614808 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 15:27

"We're not a competitive-level NHL defence at this time."

Doesn't sound delusional to me.

Also, he pretty much said outright that he's looking to trade our first for a first pairing D. That doesn't sound delusional either.

He took over a bad team. That we'd be good this year is the delusion.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614812 is a reply to message #614810 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

hmc wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 13:33

Also, he pretty much said outright that he's looking to trade our first for a first pairing D. That doesn't sound delusional either.

He took over a bad team and made it worse. Not to mention, it's not like Lowe hasn't had his hands all over this team.

He also pledges full support to Eakins, who last night said that defense wasn't the issue with the loss, that it actually was a 1-0 loss that happened because they took penalties and that prevented them from gaining momentum. So that shows you just how much (or little) the GM and head coach are on the same page (although they both see improvements in this team, so they agree on that, although they might be in a minority there).

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614813 is a reply to message #614810 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 12:33

He told Stauffer he felt the team is improving. I don't know what metric he's using to measure success, but wins and goals apparently not part of the equation. Or even bone headed turn overs or compete level or special teams.

If by his measurements the team is improving then we are screwed, because he is the decision point that makes or breaks the team. For a smart guy, he's a poor judge of his own hockey team and which direction it is trending. Which is a perfect fit with the rest of the management given the team's history.

If he sees improvement, I'd hate to see what he thinks regression is.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 November 2013 14:14]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614850 is a reply to message #614813 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 16:10

hmc wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 12:33

He told Stauffer he felt the team is improving. I don't know what metric he's using to measure success, but wins and goals apparently not part of the equation. Or even bone headed turn overs or compete level or special teams.

If by his measurements the team is improving then we are screwed, because he is the decision point that makes or breaks the team. For a smart guy, he's a poor judge of his own hockey team and which direction it is trending. Which is a perfect fit with the rest of the management given the team's history.

If he sees improvement, I'd hate to see what he thinks regression is.

There's been way too many horrible sins committed lately for me to have any optimism left, but I still think they're improving too.

Lately I've been circling back to what I thought was the major problem a couple of seasons ago: You can't coach stupid. And I think this team has a lot of stupid. Hockey IQ should be in every scout's assessment tool book. So our scouts are probably stupid too.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614818 is a reply to message #614808 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 13:27

You know, people can make a lot of money holding various positions within an NHL organization.

You can buy a lot of cocaine with that kind of money.

Just saying.

"Life is warfare and the sojourn of a stranger in a strange land." - Marcus Aurelius

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614814 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The more and more I simmer over this at work... the more I realize this and have to admit it to myself. The Oilers have admitted this season is done. They've already thrown the whiteflag. And I should too. There is nothing left to believe in this year.

"We're not a competitive-level NHL defence at this time." #Oilers GM Craig MacTavish.

Getting rid of Smid was going to be done at the end of the year, but since the whiteflag was thrown on this season, he did it now. He's doing it as he addressed that he was making room for future prospects like Klefbom and Nurse - but that's next year.

You don't make those changes if you're not throwing in the towel. Not in November. If you haven't given up hope. No sub par goalie from Russia who is afraid of bears in the woods is going to shore up this season.

It's only mid-NOVEMBER and the season is over already...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 November 2013 14:20]

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614815 is a reply to message #614814 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

feepa wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 14:18

Can we bring back the lockout? Please?

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614817 is a reply to message #614815 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 14:21

feepa wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 14:18

Can we bring back the lockout? Please?

I am ashamed to have to admit to being an Oilers fan. It is embarrassing to be associated in even the smallest way with this joke of an organization right now. I was criticizing Krueger for having a loser's mentality, but it seems like he may only have been a small symptom of a much larger disease. This press conference today was a colossal bag of wind.

"Life is warfare and the sojourn of a stranger in a strange land." - Marcus Aurelius

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614827 is a reply to message #614817 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

1 Cup

Ole MacT doing his best spin doctor impression!!

Musta got the same memo from 6 cups Eakins did when he spoke about how our power play is improving!! lol

I swear it's like telling the band to play on while the Titanic sank!!

Why do I, as a fan feel this burning desire to run for a lifeboat!! lol

and what was with all those references to how people outside the organization are much more positive about the Oiler's future and direction then internally!!??

Why would he even say that and why does it matter!!?? yeesh

Basically anyone with a remote interest in hockey sees the potential on this team and can understand the frustration level given our circumstances!!

Thanks captain obvious!!

and saying the core is safe when it's the core that needs a shakeup is my submission for asinine comment of the week!!

Change the mix!! fix the imbalance!! Get bigger!! do something and stop talking!!

[Updated on: Thu, 14 November 2013 15:13]

"I hope that went well. ... that's the team I want to go to..." -Taylor Hall.

...asked if he was excited for the draft to be over, Yakupov said: "It's not over. It's just starting."

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614849 is a reply to message #614827 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerman53  is currently offline Oilerman53

No Cups

This teamnwas becoming dominant on special teams last year and made some strides and they fire Krueger for a fitness dick! Who has seemed to have lost his players and his minor league tactics have the most glorious chances against by the truckload.

After 8 years of ineptitude you begin to wonder whose the real schmuck? Them for sucking or me for cheering....... *cracks open bottle of whiskey*.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614863 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

So listening to Friedman talk to the local crew on the Fan960 here tonight, and he thinks the best thing for the Oilers would to not make any changes in the leadership - specifically MacT and Eakins. He felt there's just been too many changes - and that they need to focus on the ice. He also mentioned that Yakupov is taking way too much blame for things in Edmonton (aka the media) and there is blame to go around.
Said that J Schultz has no idea how to play defense in the NHL - which is nice to hear someone national say. It's so obvious, but so often the gang that covers the Oilers ignores how bad defensively JS is.

Honestly, other than the part about keeping KLowe et. al. he sounded like the general feeling on here about things.

Back-to-back prediction champ

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614864 is a reply to message #614863 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 19:27

So listening to Friedman talk to the local crew on the Fan960 here tonight, and he thinks the best thing for the Oilers would to not make any changes in the leadership - specifically MacT and Eakins. He felt there's just been too many changes - and that they need to focus on the ice. He also mentioned that Yakupov is taking way too much blame for things in Edmonton (aka the media) and there is blame to go around.
Said that J Schultz has no idea how to play defense in the NHL - which is nice to hear someone national say. It's so obvious, but so often the gang that covers the Oilers ignores how bad defensively JS is.

Honestly, other than the part about keeping KLowe et. al. he sounded like the general feeling on here about things.

Friedman, Dreger and Mckenzie are the only national media (CBC or TSN) that have any clue whats going on west of TO.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614865 is a reply to message #614864 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkknight  is currently offline darkknight

No Cups

I feel like this should have been Mac T's speech.

"He shoots, he Sykoras"

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614875 is a reply to message #614786 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

I thought what he said was perfect.
We tried changing coaches, nothing happened, this Coach is staying. We'll try to add pieces if we can without selling the farm, until then go work on your game and become NHL'ers.

Before Edmonton can ever make a trade an dget fair value to improve their team, they will have to find regular success on the ice, until that happens we'll get every bottom feeder offer out there.

This will be another lost year, and IMHO we still don't have the horses. Hopefully we can start looking like an NHL team as the year goes on, and leverage that for some good value trades at the deadline.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614888 is a reply to message #614875 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerman53  is currently offline Oilerman53

No Cups

Krueger was part of the last coaching regime which started with Renney and just slowly took over from there. I see no real reason as to why Eakins has the job now, he was given the job over Krueger and Nelson. Two guys who do know the organization and its players. Terry Jones is still fuming over no donuts in the media room this year. For whatver reason this ship is sinking fast, I have followed the Oilers closely and this is the worst I have ever seen it. The core group of players may even be worse then the restaurant stiffing group of Moreau and Souray. Krueger was universally thought of as a players coach and with a tougher schedule last year got wayyyy more from his players then Eakins has done. Time to dig in, this is going to get ugly!

After 8 years of ineptitude you begin to wonder whose the real schmuck? Them for sucking or me for cheering....... *cracks open bottle of whiskey*.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614910 is a reply to message #614888 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Absolutely. MacT takes over, makes the organization even worse, considerably worse. His coach is his bed to lay in. Krueger got a whole heck of a lot more out of this team. Had a great power play which is now non existent.

Great wind bagging about how the team needs improvement but he isn't making any coaching changes, etc.

So what was the point of this conversation? He didn't even mention how many Stanley Cup Rings he won as a player....

Facta non verba MacT.

This disaster is yours and Lowe's baby. Own it.

My new avitar is how I feel as an Oiler fan....what this organization keeps doing to me.

I would like to be the first to thank Kevin Lowe for the lost decade....

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614911 is a reply to message #614910 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

halfafrog wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 09:48

Absolutely. MacT takes over, makes the organization even worse, considerably worse. His coach is his bed to lay in. Krueger got a whole heck of a lot more out of this team. Had a great power play which is now non existent.

Great wind bagging about how the team needs improvement but he isn't making any coaching changes, etc.

So what was the point of this conversation? He didn't even mention how many Stanley Cup Rings he won as a player....

Facta non verba MacT.

This disaster is yours and Lowe's baby. Own it.

My new avitar is how I feel as an Oiler fan....what this organization keeps doing to me.

Has he made the organization worse?

Here's the moves he's made involving people on the roster this year:

Traded Perron for Paajarvi.
Traded Horcoff for Larsen.
Traded Smid for Broissoit & Horak.
Signed Ference.
Signed Gordon.
Signed LaBarbera.
Signed Acton.
Signed Grebeshkov.
Signed Belov.
Signed Bachman.
Signed Joensuu.
Signed Hamilton.
Signed Bryzgalov.
Claimed Gazdic.
Bought out Belanger.
Fired Krueger in favour of Eakins.

There's a couple very good moves in there. Perron for Paajarvi is a very good trade that has seemed to work out well for the Oilers. Horcoff's cap hit couldn't be fit under the cap, so would have impacted his ability to sign players.

The Smid deal is a deal about the future, and an admission that the Oilers aren't in the playoffs this year.

Ference has been okay. Gordon's been good. Belov's been decent. Acton is weak, but cheap. LaBarbera's been bad.

Everyone other signing has had their season impacted by injuries and the sample size is too small to really judge. Joensuu and Bachman had a couple good games, but that's not definitive.

Gazdic is what he is. I am not a believer in playing a guy who has no ability to play at this level, but he filled exactly the role that MacTavish was looking for him to fill.

Considering he's only been GM for a few months, it's pretty remarkable that TWELVE players he's acquired have already played at least one game with the team (soon to be 13 when Bryzgalov joins the team). There's an argument to be made that maybe there was too much change, but he's definitely tried to put his stamp on the team and not everything he's done has been a bad move by any stretch.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614912 is a reply to message #614911 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan Halls Toupee  is currently offline Bryan Halls Toupee

No Cups

You forgot to list picking up SMac from waivers.

Re: MacT to address the Media today? [message #614913 is a reply to message #614912 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 10:18 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Bryan Halls Toupee wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 10:07

You forgot to list picking up SMac from waivers.

No, I intentionally didn't include that because MacIntyre hasn't played a game for the team and I'm not convinced he ever will. I did forget to mention signed Linus Omark, who has played a game for the team this year.

Previous Topic:New Expectations UPDATED
Next Topic:Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #20)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca