This day on September 1
Acquired: Danny Gare (1986) Jozef Cierny (1993)
Departed: Craig Simpson (1993) Ian Herbers (1999)

Happy Birthday To: Stainless, speeds, vintage_oil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » DGB: Comparing Colorado and Edmonton
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 DGB: Comparing Colorado and Edmonton [message #614772]
Thu, 14 November 2013 10:03 Go to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Didn't know where to put this, but Down Goes Brown had a pretty interesting read today comparing the rebuilds in Colorado and Edmonton.

Very even-handed and fair.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9973203/the-colorado-ava lanche-edmonton-oilers-rebuilds/

Send a private message to this user  

Re: DGB: Comparing Colorado and Edmonton [message #614776 is a reply to message #614772 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 14 November 2013 10:03

Didn't know where to put this, but Down Goes Brown had a pretty interesting read today comparing the rebuilds in Colorado and Edmonton.

Very even-handed and fair.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9973203/the-colorado-ava lanche-edmonton-oilers-rebuilds/

Good read. Fairly insightful look at things. Colorado isn't going to be a Cup threat this year, despite the good start.

However, the Oilers aren't likely to even threaten to have a playoff game again this year. I was talking yesterday about playoffs in Edmonton with some co-workers who aren't from here and weren't here in 2006. I loved that time. It should happen often here. Instead it's misery and woe and the death of dreams.

Remember how we laughed at Olli Jokinen and Jay Bouwmeester and their futility streaks without playoffs? Don't look now, but Sam Gagner has played 421 games without a sniff. He'll be well over 500 at least before we're there. Jordan Eberle's played 215 games. Jeff Petry is at 176. Taylor Hall 184.

How many do you think they have to play before they get there? The Chicago model, the Pittsburgh model...how many times were we promised this? All of our young guns will be done their entry level deals before they even play a single playoff game. At the season Nugent-Hopkins is at now? Kane & Toews were Cup champs. Sidney Crosby had been to the Finals and was only a year away from winning. Malkin had drank from Lord Stanley's Cup.

The brain trust has preached patience through this eight-year debacle, but none of those other teams were patient. They built, they grew, they won. All the Oilers seem to be good at is being terrible. Good thing that was Kevin Lowe's plan. I really wish he'd worked out Phase II a little better.

All of this is depressing. The sycophantic, xenophobic media and their incestuous relationship with management, who uses them to spread their message and to ease up on hacking on them. The positions for life of so many of these guys. The ease with which blame is assigned to those who leave the team (although they often seem more happy and successful on the other side of the veil). The vilification of anyone who speaks out (which makes it comical that Jason Gregor has been pointing to players saying it isn't the system that's the problem - like they'd say anything different, knowing how the storm would fall on them if they criticized a coach's move here - they all know that's only free game after they leave).

For that matter, I'm sick of idiotic systems. Krueger's superman centre idea was idiotic on a team with a lack of healthy centres. The swarm and the adjusted swarm. I was at the games against Detroit and Dallas, and you can see all five players in our zone beneath the hash marks. It's ridiculously easy to exploit that and how do you accomplish a breakout when you're all standing shoulder to shoulder? It's a stupid system and it's not working. Everyone looks confused so many times in an Oilers game. Partly because when you compress everyone on your team that much, then if the other team is passing well, they're skating MILES chasing. I'm sick of stupid systems that I can pick apart, because NHL teams with coaches and scouts are going to make you look stupid then.

I'm ranting here...I'm going to stop before I completely derail the thread.

Good read from Down Goes Brown.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: DGB: Comparing Colorado and Edmonton [message #614779 is a reply to message #614776 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6  is currently offline 6zeppelin6

1 Cup

While I am not sold on Eakins systems just yet, Oilersnation made a very good point:

Quote:

Some very good coaches have had some very bad starts to their careers, generally because opportunity arises with bad (or expansion) teams. Here’s a brief list of some very good coaches who started out on the wrong foot:

Scotty Bowman: 4-13-2 with St. Louis
Dick Irvin: 2-6-4 with Chicago
Ron Wilson: 4-13-2 with Anaheim
Lindy Ruff: 5-10-4 with Buffalo
Ken Hitchcock: 10-18-8 with Dallas

http://oilersnation.com/2013/11/14/the-coach

HOPE

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3882/signuz.jpg

Re: DGB: Comparing Colorado and Edmonton [message #614781 is a reply to message #614772 ]
Thu, 14 November 2013 10:59 Go to previous message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

1 Cup

That's a great article, and you're right...fair and balanced....
so what have we learnt from it?

5 key factors to a successful rebuild:

• make sure you have a goalie (or two) that you trust (an emphatic NO!)

• draft elite forwards, including some in the later rounds - only 1st rounders..later rounds a barren wasteland!)

• figure out a way to build a solid blue line (5's, 6's and 7's...no 1's or 2's!)

• hire the right coach (we'll see)

• and, maybe most importantly of all, be really, really lucky. (Rob Ford has better luck!!)

*Funny the article mentions nothing about incompetent mgmt, except that both teams utilize an old boys mentality!! lol...I suspect this is another major factor contributing to our demise!!

discuss :)

"I hope that went well. ... that's the team I want to go to..." -Taylor Hall.

...asked if he was excited for the draft to be over, Yakupov said: "It's not over. It's just starting."

Previous Topic:Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #20)
Next Topic:MacT Press Conf - Krueger Fired
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca