This day on August 21
Acquired: Don Jackson (1981) Pat Falloon (1998) Dan Smith (2003)
Departed: Don Murdoch (1981)

Happy Birthday To: Entwhistle, ameeratif, Rosco11, etnies.80

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Yakupov done with the Oilers?Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614330 is a reply to message #609750 ]
Mon, 11 November 2013 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan Halls Toupee  is currently offline Bryan Halls Toupee

No Cups

Nail Yakupov’s agent Igor Larionov open to a trade from Edmonton Oilers: “We’re willing to make a move. Any team.”

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/11/11/nail-yakupovs-ag ent-open-to-a-trade-from-edmonton-oilers-were-willing-to-mak e-a-move-any-team/

Oh FFS. icon_dead

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614335 is a reply to message #614330 ]
Mon, 11 November 2013 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

3 Cups

Bryan Halls Toupee wrote on Mon, 11 November 2013 21:31

Nail Yakupov’s agent Igor Larionov open to a trade from Edmonton Oilers: “We’re willing to make a move. Any team.”

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/11/11/nail-yakupovs-ag ent-open-to-a-trade-from-edmonton-oilers-were-willing-to-mak e-a-move-any-team/

Oh FFS. icon_dead

Not sure what to make of this... It's not like Yakupov is setting the world on fire. He's making a lot of bad defensive plays every night. That's not unlike many of our other players of course, but he hasn't played 1 season worth of games yet. If there are signs that Eakins is singling him out unfairly, I definitely make that Skype call before I let a coach push Yak out of town (I don't think that's happening though).

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2013 22:52]

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential
..good structural improvement

Eakins: I know EXACTLY what we need to do next year...

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614337 is a reply to message #614330 ]
Mon, 11 November 2013 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Oh FFS. icon_dead

Honestly, Larionov is kind of upsetting me. Here's a 20-year-old kid dealing with a pretty challenging and stressful situation and instead of talking to him and reassuring him that all is well and that these things happen, his agent, under the guise of looking out for him, has just made his life MORE stressful and challenging.

Larionov should know better than this. His actions really are revealing to me that he doesn't have Yakupov's best interests in mind. It's almost more like he sees him as his cash cow. You don't see too many other agents acting like this.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614340 is a reply to message #614337 ]
Mon, 11 November 2013 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 11 November 2013 21:50

Oh FFS. icon_dead

Honestly, Larionov is kind of upsetting me. Here's a 20-year-old kid dealing with a pretty challenging and stressful situation and instead of talking to him and reassuring him that all is well and that these things happen, his agent, under the guise of looking out for him, has just made his life MORE stressful and challenging.

Larionov should know better than this. His actions really are revealing to me that he doesn't have Yakupov's best interests in mind. It's almost more like he sees him as his cash cow. You don't see too many other agents acting like this.

Does Larionov even listen to scouts from his own national squad who he played with in the 88 Olympics, Igor Kravchuk?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2013/10/16/212 00511.html

“He has to make up his mind, if he’s not going to change his game, then he has no future (in the NHL),” said Kravchuk. “From what I see, his team game is really, really poor. He tries to do a lot of things by himself, he has absolutely no defence. That’s what really concerns us as (Russian Olympic) scouts.

“If he’s going to listen to what the coach says and he tries to change his game, he has a future.”

Igor! Listen to Igor! Watch a game or two! Your client will learn, but right now he sucks!

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2013 23:05]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614381 is a reply to message #614340 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

Or, just maybe, Igor knows stuff we don't, that maybe there is something rotten within the organization and he doesn't want his client around it. Maybe that's why so many players have refused trades to YEG or demanded trades out of here.

It boggles my mind that still, when high profile, high skilled players don't excel here/refuse to come here/demand a trade, that fans still want to put it down to the player is lousy, the weather lousy, the player is selfish, etc.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614332 is a reply to message #609750 ]
Mon, 11 November 2013 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

If Larionov had something to say to the Oilers, he should have kept it private and not broadcast it all over the globe. Now even if the Oilers want to give him more ice time, it makes them look weak, and it is, and they won't. This just makes it worse for his client. Ya you're going to try to force a trade with a player who has the worst +- in the NHL? No franchise is going to trade a No.1 pick for dirt. No trade will happen that the Oilers will take, his only option will be the KHL.

Dumb move Larry.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614334 is a reply to message #614332 ]
Mon, 11 November 2013 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales Cooper  is currently offline Ales Cooper

1 Cup

Meeeow! Looks like Yak has his Nails out.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614353 is a reply to message #614334 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tron  is currently offline Tron

No Cups

We all saw this coming. Yak was arguably our best player at the end of last season and for whatever reason this year he and Eakins aren't on the same page. For players like Yak, ego is a big part of the reason why they are so successful so him asking for trade makes sense. My only fear is that'll he'll light it up the moment we trade him.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614354 is a reply to message #614353 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lesterpolyester is currently online Lesterpolyester

No Cups

Somethings gotta give at any rate. We have way to many offensive/skilled players and are pretty one dimensional. If we could land a Simmons or a player with a simular skill set we may actually be better off in the long run.

Yak's has a huge upside there's no doubt and he will probably light it up in another enviorment (making us all crazy). Keeping him still wouldn't address what the Oil need currently. We need to have a third line that can score and wear down other teams top three. We all complain at the teams tail spin and lack of improvement over the last couple of years yet we seem to always be unwilling to move anyone off the roster with offensive skill. Unfortunately You have to give up skill to get skill. Its time to improve the team as a whole. Bryz was a good start trading Yak may be the next logical step.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614359 is a reply to message #614354 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Lesterpolyester wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 06:59

Somethings gotta give at any rate. We have way to many offensive/skilled players and are pretty one dimensional. If we could land a Simmons or a player with a simular skill set we may actually be better off in the long run.

Yak's has a huge upside there's no doubt and he will probably light it up in another enviorment (making us all crazy). Keeping him still wouldn't address what the Oil need currently. We need to have a third line that can score and wear down other teams top three. We all complain at the teams tail spin and lack of improvement over the last couple of years yet we seem to always be unwilling to move anyone off the roster with offensive skill. Unfortunately You have to give up skill to get skill. Its time to improve the team as a whole. Bryz was a good start trading Yak may be the next logical step.

Trouble is MacT is dealing in a position of extreme weakness trying to move anyone right now. Especially regarding Yakupov. As the notion of making the playoffs vaporizes, I expect that to change.

Mathematical elimination and perhaps Nail turning it around in that time frame is all we can hope for. Moving Yak before Xmas = fleecing. Playoffs (barring an incredible rally) are out of question as it is. If this team could mount a big enough comeback to actually salvage the playoffs it would compel a GM not to tinker with the roster at all. That would require a polar opposite to all the losing going on with this organization, which seems to require a miracle from god right now.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 November 2013 08:10]

Limecat Logic

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614362 is a reply to message #614359 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

A couple of things from around the web to temper this storm here:

1) This, from a Red Wings blogger that was around Larionov the player:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rrikqb

Quote:

Larionov played for Viktor Tikhonov in Russia and Pat Quinn and Scotty Bowman in the NHL, and he left the Canucks (for the 1992-93 season, to play in Switzerland) and the Red Wings (for the 2000-2001 season, to play for the Panthers) due to contract disputes.

Here in Detroit, Igor was never afraid to speak up or speak out, even if he took crap for it, because he'd spent the final years of his time in the Soviet Union trying to *legally* leave the Russian National Team instead of defecting.

Larionov is also fiercely protective of his clients. He chooses a small number of players and informs them that his goal is to make them better players, responsible young men, and that he believes hockey at its highest level is played in the NHL.

Clients who aren't willing to come to North America to play for CHL teams (usually OHL ones), train in the offseason here (usually in Metro Detroit) and who aren't willing to commit to spending their formative years playing in the AHL, ECHL, etc. in order to earn gainful NHL employment and sustain gainful NHL employment are not the kinds of clients Larionov wants to mentor.

He's being the "bad guy" and the "bully" here because he can do that independently of his client. When someone says that he's taking a trip to Edmonton to find some answers, as a partisan fan, I wouldn't be *that* worried about the player wanting to bail. It sounds like Larionov issued something of a threat en route to personally ensuring that the relationship between player and team are working by visiting the Oilers himself. That does not indicate any sort of unwillingness to "make it work"--it's just part of Igor's "game."

2) This, the more full comments from Custance:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9964265/nail-yakupov-agent -open-trade-edmonton-oilers-unhappy

Quote:

"I'm going to Edmonton on Thursday to watch a couple games. Obviously a lot of questions, and I want to have some answers," Larionov said.

Yakupov has been a healthy scratch at times this season after some sophomore struggles.

"Let the kid play, enjoy the game. He's a hard-working kid. He's not lazy. He's got to be part of that team. You have to understand he's only 20 years old, he needs some support," Larionov said. "He's a goal-scorer. You've got to understand that and let the kid develop and play."

In 17 games this season, Yakupov has just two goals and is adjusting to first-year coach Dallas Eakins' system after breaking in under Ralph Krueger as a rookie. Last season, Yakupov scored 17 goals, including 11 goals in 14 April games. The strong finish raised expectations for this season, expectations that haven't been reached so far.

Larionov said he'd like to sit down with Eakins, whom he doesn't know. He said he already has had conversations with Edmonton general manager Craig MacTavish and made it clear that they would be open to a trade if the Oilers have soured on the forward.

"I asked Craig, I said, 'If you guys [are] not happy with him or you have no room for him ... we're willing to make a move. Any team,' " Larionov said. "That happens and that's part of life. Let's move on."

Sounds a lot less ominous when given a little context, no? One of the problems with Twitter is that it means people have to shorten soundbites even further. Larionov said if the Oilers have soured on him, they'll accept a trade. That's a lot different than it sounds when you drop that first part of the sentence.

Allan Walsh went off similarly on behalf of Derrick Brassard when he was with Columbus. I hope this one doesn't end the same. Some of this is now going to come down to just how much ego Eakins has. He may not want to be seen to have changed the way he's using the player because of what the agent says, but at the same time, I think that goal he scored the other day shows why the Oilers should be using Yakupov on the powerplay more. I think it's bizarre that he's not on the top unit, because if you have the best puck movers out with him, and the play is to get him the puck in that spot? It should mean goals. I'd like to see Yakupov get a better chance on the man advantage, but I could see the coach making a point of changing nothing for the next couple weeks.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614366 is a reply to message #614362 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ryanc182  is currently offline ryanc182

No Cups

Eakins seems to have a massive ego and that's large concern for me.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614371 is a reply to message #614362 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

1 Cup

The incompetent management team brought this on themselves. What the hell did they expect was going to happen?

There is zero accountability in the entire organization, but all of a sudden Nail Yakupov is the guy who isnt allowed to make mistakes?

Every one of the other young "stars" on this team have struggled to varying degrees. And every one of them was gifted ice time, praised by the media, and handed 6M a year and an 'A' on their sweater. Never mind the management, ownership and coaching staff of this team.

But Yakupov is the one guy who need to be held accountable? uh huh.

You see, that will happen when you hand the keys to the city to Hall, Eberle, RNH and Schultz, and all you ask is that they show up partially sober to practice and quip to the media about how much they love being an oiler. It makes for a dysfunctional atmosphere.

And yes of course its easy to paint Yakupov as the bad guy. The cronies in the media are already jumping on board.

I said this when they handed out 'A's to half the team. Its just one more indication that this team is scared stiff to make any sort of move that might anger one of their golden boys. Grovelling, hand wringing and pandering instead of strong leadership and mentor ship.

Its really simple. Just hold everyone to the same standard. No one will have a problem with that. When you start singling certain people out over others you become....well..the Oilers.

Thats fine. Trade Yakupov for spare parts. Hall and Eberle can rack up their individual stats while leading this team into the sewer. Perfect.

Fire Lowe.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 November 2013 09:29]

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614375 is a reply to message #614371 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

1 Cup

Jay wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 08:26

The incompetent management team brought this on themselves. What the hell did they expect was going to happen?

There is zero accountability in the entire organization, but all of a sudden Nail Yakupov is the guy who isnt allowed to make mistakes?

Every one of the other young "stars" on this team have struggled to varying degrees. And every one of them was gifted ice time, praised by the media, and handed 6M a year and an 'A' on their sweater. Never mind the management, ownership and coaching staff of this team.

You see, that will happen when you hand the keys to the city to Hall, Eberle, RNH and Schultz, and all you ask is that they show up partially sober to practice and quip to the media about how much they love being an oiler. It makes for a dysfunctional atmosphere.

And yes of course its easy to paint Yakupov as the bad guy. The cronies in the media are already jumping on board.

I said this when they handed out 'A's to half the team. Its just one more indication that this team is scared stiff to make any sort of move that might anger one of their golden boys. Grovelling, hand wringing and pandering instead of strong leadership and mentor ship.

Its really simple. Just hold everyone to the same standard. No one will have a problem with that. When you start singling certain people out over others you become....well..the Oilers.

Thats fine. Trade Yakupov for spare parts. Hall and Eberle can rack up their individual stats while leading this team into the sewer. Perfect.

Fire Lowe.

Awesome post. Agree there is no accountability throughout this team.

100% the Fab 4 have been given a free pass. Gagner to some degree as well. All preach they are committed but to only thing I see is committed to the next paycheck.

I don't have confidence our core group can carry this team forward. Definitely the team needs a shakeup.

Adam wrote

Maybe it's fitting to have found religion in the room because on most nights this team doesn't have a prayer.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614380 is a reply to message #614371 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

2 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 09:26

Fire Lowe.

Yeah. Great post Jay - sums up how I've been feeling too.

"I'm not reading Skoobz' banter." - NotLeeFogolin
Buy out Nikitin.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614396 is a reply to message #614371 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 09:26

Fire Lowe.

This whole thing was going to come to a head anyway with the Oilers, Larionov, and Yakupov as Yak's entry level deal expires next season. The three $6 mil second contracts already awarded have already raised the odd eyebrow....Larionov's concern is that Yakupov isn't allowed to perform in a manner that would even come close to justifying that type of 2nd contract. I totally understand his concern, but he's an idiot for putting it out there in the public domain.

Yak's play has been a bit better, he seems to be working a bit harder. His minutes and linemates have recently reflected this. Ultimately he's a rookie in games played and the Oilers own him in the NHL for a long time. Larionov, if he hasn't done so already, should be advising his client to work his butt off, listen to his coach, be a good teammate, and the rest of the issues will straighten out. Even if the Oilers are considering his future with the team, they're not going to move him at all when his value is low....if there's any question about his commitment to the hockey and the things he needs to do to be a more complete and better player. Regardless of whether Yakupov wants to remain an Oiler for the long term or be elsewhere, most of the onus is on him to just do the work to be better, because that pretty much has to happen regardless.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614398 is a reply to message #614396 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm so tired of this sideshow of a team...

@JasonGregor: Yakypov said he feels that Eakins doesn't trust him. He wants to help team win. Didn't ask for trade....but wants more icetime

@Sun_Tychkowski: Yakupov essentially backs up everything Larionov said. He's unhappy, feels he deserves more minutes

@Sun_Tychkowski: Asked if he called Larionov to Edmonton to fight for more ice time, Yakupov said "that's a tough question."

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614400 is a reply to message #614398 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 12:50

@JasonGregor: Yakypov said he feels that Eakins doesn't trust him. He wants to help team win. Didn't ask for trade....but wants more icetime

@Sun_Tychkowski: Yakupov essentially backs up everything Larionov said. He's unhappy, feels he deserves more minutes

@Sun_Tychkowski: Asked if he called Larionov to Edmonton to fight for more ice time, Yakupov said "that's a tough question."

Well, this is starting to get out of hand, isn't it?

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614401 is a reply to message #614400 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Chris Wescott ‏@TheChrisWescott
"This is not going to sway me whether he plays 20 min or 2... he's going to play the minutes he deserves." - #Oilers Eakins on Yakupov

@ryandittrick: There's no question that was an uncomfortable situation for Yakupov. It showed.

@ryandittrick: @dchesnokov @mc79hockey Oh, not at all. He's intent on working his ass off to improve. He even bagged himself after practice today.

@ryandittrick: Eakins agrees this is a frustrating time, but he's encouraged by the steps in Yakupov's game. "My plan for Nail stays the same."

@GenePrincipe: "I won't search him out but my door is open"Eakins on meeting with Nail."Nothing changes.Nail will play Wed.night.I expect him to play well"

@JasonGregor: Eakins said he has liked Yakupov's effort and he had seen improvement. Understands his frustration, but said all players will earn icetime.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 November 2013 13:00]

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614409 is a reply to message #614400 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 12:52

Starting? This is just another step of the inevitable process.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614410 is a reply to message #614409 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 13:10

Few phrases would make me happier than 'We've decided to go a different direction and will no longer be needing Kevin Lowe's services.'

My theory that I proclaim loudly to anyone that will listen is that Katz was the awkward kid in school and now he gets to tell all his previous tormentors 'I'm close friends with KEVIN LOWE', and that's why he's one thing that hasn't changed despite the record of failure that this team has shown.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614412 is a reply to message #614410 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

vsove wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 13:12

Few phrases would make me happier than 'We've decided to go a different direction and will no longer be needing Kevin Lowe's services.'

My theory that I proclaim loudly to anyone that will listen is that Katz was the awkward kid in school and now he gets to tell all his previous tormentors 'I'm close friends with KEVIN LOWE', and that's why he's one thing that hasn't changed despite the record of failure that this team has shown.

I'm honestly at the point where the only hope for my Oilers salvation is a blood on the wall (it's a metaphor) type revolution in the Kingsway offices. I don't believe in anyone associated with managing the Oilers right now. From Kevin Lowe (because you can't fire an owner) down to the damn drum guy, I want them all fired.

Anyway, back to Yakupov. Clock is ticking, I don't see the Oilers taking the long view on this one.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614419 is a reply to message #614412 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 13:18

I'm honestly at the point where the only hope for my Oilers salvation is a blood on the wall (it's a metaphor) type revolution in the Kingsway offices. I don't believe in anyone associated with managing the Oilers right now. From Kevin Lowe (because you can't fire an owner) down to the damn drum guy, I want them all fired.

Anyway, back to Yakupov. Clock is ticking, I don't see the Oilers taking the long view on this one.

Sure, Lowe wears a lot of this, but speaking for myself, I would be insane if I spent a moment of time being frustrated about Kevin Lowe sitting atop the Oilers' management team. It's barking at the moon. It's like being mad about the weather....it is what it is, and unless team ownership changes, or he resigns, Lowe's position is secure.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614422 is a reply to message #614419 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 13:32

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 13:18

Sure, Lowe wears a lot of this, but speaking for myself, I would be insane if I spent a moment of time being frustrated about Kevin Lowe sitting atop the Oilers' management team. It's barking at the moon. It's like being mad about the weather....it is what it is, and unless team ownership changes, or he resigns, Lowe's position is secure.

I know you're right, I really do, but I just can't zen my mind out of this when the problems are so damn obvious and the Oilers occupy so much of my winter months. Plus I like complaining and yelling at things that don't listen, so....

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614402 is a reply to message #614398 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

2 Cups

Well crap. I'm going to go vomit now.

"I'm not reading Skoobz' banter." - NotLeeFogolin
Buy out Nikitin.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614411 is a reply to message #614402 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 12:58

Well crap. I'm going to go vomit now.

This thread is beginning to remind me of the scene in Trading Places when the Dukes are screaming at their trader to get back out on the floor and sell.

http://ho9od35yvs05ejqn.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/shutterstock_15719431.jpg

All I can say is thank god we have such a great communicator as coach. icon_rolleyes

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614373 is a reply to message #614362 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 07:52

Some of this is now going to come down to just how much ego Eakins has. .

From a guy who preaches his vast communication skills with players, the one thing i've been seeing from the start is Eakins stubbornness.

Say what you want about RK but I think he had the ear of Yakupov more than Eakins. Is it because RK was a European Style Coach rather than a hard nosed NA / NHL style coach.

Really it's pretty evident Eakins communication skills (and tactics) are pretty lacking. That said Eakins job is to coach the player, it's not Igor's job.

Adam wrote

Maybe it's fitting to have found religion in the room because on most nights this team doesn't have a prayer.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614488 is a reply to message #614373 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

3 Cups

ronster wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 09:29

From a guy who preaches his vast communication skills with players, the one thing i've been seeing from the start is Eakins stubbornness.

Say what you want about RK but I think he had the ear of Yakupov more than Eakins. Is it because RK was a European Style Coach rather than a hard nosed NA / NHL style coach.

Really it's pretty evident Eakins communication skills (and tactics) are pretty lacking. That said Eakins job is to coach the player, it's not Igor's job.

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how Eakins has handled Yak this year. It's just all over the place, I can't make sense of it. He put him with some bad players for periods, he put him with good players for a little while but at the same time put him out to be slaughtered against first lines, he pro-actively benched him in close games even when he was playing decently to "protect" him from having to experience bad things happening, he healthy scratched him, and pretty much the whole time he kept him away from the best spot on the ice for a player of his skill on the PP.

It's just all so odd and inconsistent. Only explanation I can think of is that Eakins has no idea what the heck he's doing. Hopefully MacT is able to explain all of it in a way that makes sense to Larionov.

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential
..good structural improvement

Eakins: I know EXACTLY what we need to do next year...

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614492 is a reply to message #614488 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

oobga wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 23:06

ronster wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 09:29

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how Eakins has handled Yak this year. It's just all over the place, I can't make sense of it. He put him with some bad players for periods, he put him with good players for a little while but at the same time put him out to be slaughtered against first lines, he pro-actively benched him in close games even when he was playing decently to "protect" him from having to experience bad things happening, he healthy scratched him, and pretty much the whole time he kept him away from the best spot on the ice for a player of his skill on the PP.

It's just all so odd and inconsistent. Only explanation I can think of is that Eakins has no idea what the heck he's doing. Hopefully MacT is able to explain all of it in a way that makes sense to Larionov.

I think Eakins knows what he is doing, but it seems he may just be in over his head and he might be too stubborn to realize such.
He said his door is open to Nail. Obviously the player, for whatever reason, has not walked into that door. Wouldnt it be well advised that a coach who is an adult, approach a 20 year old kid and maybe break the ice and discuss this like an adult?

This "he can come to me" BS reeks of arrogance and immaturity.

So much drama with this franchise.

~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614376 is a reply to message #609750 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Context does paint a fairly different story, but like MacTavish going public about trading Horcoff and Hemsky, I'm left asking 'why?' What benefit is there for Larionov going public about this? How does that help Yakupov at all?

He should have been around the game long enough - especially playing in Vancouver and Detroit - to know how the media would run with this.

As for trading Yakupov - just no. Of all the 1st overall picks over the last decade, he is most closely mirroring Steven Stamkos (outscoring him in Sarnia, struggling defensively, one-shot sniper, healthy scratched during his first season, etc.). I'm not saying he will be Stamkos - it's far too early to make a claim like that, and in probability unlikely since Stamkos is arguably the best player in the world - but I am saying it is far too early to be trading him. Would any of you guys trade Stamkos for Simmonds? Would any of you trade Kane for Simmonds? A few years in, it seems ridiculous, right? So have some patience, because if we don't, we'll regret it and bemoan it for the next 15 years.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614378 is a reply to message #614376 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 10:19

Context does paint a fairly different story, but like MacTavish going public about trading Horcoff and Hemsky, I'm left asking 'why?' What benefit is there for Larionov going public about this? How does that help Yakupov at all?

He should have been around the game long enough - especially playing in Vancouver and Detroit - to know how the media would run with this.

As for trading Yakupov - just no. Of all the 1st overall picks over the last decade, he is most closely mirroring Steven Stamkos (outscoring him in Sarnia, struggling defensively, one-shot sniper, healthy scratched during his first season, etc.). I'm not saying he will be Stamkos - it's far too early to make a claim like that, and in probability unlikely since Stamkos is arguably the best player in the world - but I am saying it is far too early to be trading him. Would any of you guys trade Stamkos for Simmonds? Would any of you trade Kane for Simmonds? A few years in, it seems ridiculous, right? So have some patience, because if we don't, we'll regret it and bemoan it for the next 15 years.

So who goes then? Hall? Eberly? Nuge? One of these guys are going to have to leave at some point in time. If we don't start trying to improve the team as a whole we'll continue to stink for years to come. That can't be blamed on Coaches either if the GM Isn't providing a balanced team you flat out just don't win.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614383 is a reply to message #614378 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lesterpolyester wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 10:35

So who goes then? Hall? Eberly? Nuge? One of these guys are going to have to leave at some point in time. If we don't start trying to improve the team as a whole we'll continue to stink for years to come. That can't be blamed on Coaches either if the GM Isn't providing a balanced team you flat out just don't win.

Two answers to this question:

1) Why does anyone have to go? We need good forwards, we have room for 6 good forwards on our top two lines and for at least 3-4 of them on the first unit powerplay. It would be nice to have an effective second unit as well.

2) Eberle. If I have to make a deal for one of these players (which I don't think I do right now, and if I do, it's only for a massive return that directly addresses an area of need for both now and the foreseeable future) I'm trading the one with the lowest possible ceiling. That's Jordan Eberle. He's the smallest, the slowest, with the weakest shot. Smart player (sometimes), but still with some growing pains on both defence and puck-moving. He also probably gets you a higher return than Yakupov right now, and has a much higher cap hit for this year and next (and possibly, given the way Yakupov's playing and how the Oilers are using him beyond next year as well). I see Hall and Nugent-Hopkins as complete untouchables, unless someone is offering you Steven Stamkos or John Tavares back for them. I don't say the same for Eberle.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614384 is a reply to message #614383 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6  is currently offline 6zeppelin6

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 11:15

Lesterpolyester wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 10:35

Two answers to this question:

1) Why does anyone have to go? We need good forwards, we have room for 6 good forwards on our top two lines and for at least 3-4 of them on the first unit powerplay. It would be nice to have an effective second unit as well.

2) Eberle. If I have to make a deal for one of these players (which I don't think I do right now, and if I do, it's only for a massive return that directly addresses an area of need for both now and the foreseeable future) I'm trading the one with the lowest possible ceiling. That's Jordan Eberle. He's the smallest, the slowest, with the weakest shot. Smart player (sometimes), but still with some growing pains on both defence and puck-moving. He also probably gets you a higher return than Yakupov right now, and has a much higher cap hit for this year and next (and possibly, given the way Yakupov's playing and how the Oilers are using him beyond next year as well). I see Hall and Nugent-Hopkins as complete untouchables, unless someone is offering you Steven Stamkos or John Tavares back for them. I don't say the same for Eberle.

I agree with you Adam on the Eberle front. I have been watching him closely this year and I see someone who avoids any contact at all cost. I would actually argue that Jordan Eberle is the softest player, on the softest team in the league.

HOPE

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3882/signuz.jpg

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614385 is a reply to message #614376 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Larionov wants his client to know he's fighting for him. When reading the article, I wonder if he said a little more than he was planning to, opening up a little too much? I don't know. It's unfortunate, because I think you are right...it would have been better not to talk to the press with this.

If I'm MacTavish, I tell Larionov that we're perfectly happy with his client and committed to developing him in to a great player. If I'm Eakins, I talk about the struggles he's had with the system, but stress that we're happy with his efforts to adapt, and that as he grows comfortable with the system and starts to produce, we will commit to give him more responsibility.

MacTavish had a great line about player's development curves rarely being a straight line...now's a good time to trot that out again. Show the player and his agent a little love, but don't immediately give him 25 minutes of icetime either.

It's times like these (well, along with most of the rest of the season) where I miss Tom Renney's handling of the development. Yakupov's been beaten up this year because he was sat when he was producing chances but not scoring, then brought back and thrown to the wolves facing tough competition, and then while dropping him down the roster is fine, there's been limited powerplay opportunities to rebuild his confidence (and maybe help the team's anemic powerplay too) and then the occasional Eakins patronizing remark like "I benched him for the last 10 minutes to help his confidence."

I think that Eakins HAS mishandled him, and that Larionov's point actually has some merit...but damn do I wish he'd not said it publicly.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614387 is a reply to message #614385 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 11:23

I think that Eakins HAS mishandled him, and that Larionov's point actually has some merit...but damn do I wish he'd not said it publicly.

Perhaps he's just thinking "hey, thats the way they do things up in Edmonton".

MacT & Lowe havent exactly been tight lips with the media have they? Comments about Dubnyk, Hemsky and Horc are a few that immediately spring to mind.

~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614388 is a reply to message #614385 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

So how does Eakins do it properly? If he puts Yakupov on the top two lines, he's putting him up against tough competition. If he puts Yakupov on the bottom two lines, he's burying him with bad players and stunting his growth.

The Yak Booster Club and the Yak haters need to back off. Eakins needs to decide where Yak deserves to be in the lineup, and move him up or down on merit.

If it's true that Yakupov is whining about how he's being used, get rid of him. That kind of bad attitude and selfishness will ruin an entire locker room.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614390 is a reply to message #614388 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 11:44

If it's true that Yakupov is whining about how he's being used, get rid of him. That kind of bad attitude and selfishness will ruin an entire locker room.

...and this is why I hate that Larionov has gone public with this. There really isn't much reason to believe that Yakupov has a bad attitude. Maybe confused, maybe frustrated, but to immediately label him as selfish is a huge stretch. But there are lots of people who will do this.

For me, I actually don't mind the line of Acrobello, Smyth, and Yakupov. Those guys can create some offense together, and Eakins can give them some easier minutes. For me, proper use of Yakupov would be using him on that line until he tightens up his defensive game, using him prominently on the PP, and cycling him up occasionally on a Top-6 depending on what a game situation is looking like.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614391 is a reply to message #614390 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I think one thing we can all agree on (cue the band up for jumping all over me for this) Yak's is being way under utilized on the power play. He obviously has one of the best one timers in the league.

If your trying to make him play third line minutes while he learn the pro game, fair enough. But keeping him off the power play seems like a bad idea.

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614395 is a reply to message #614391 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6  is currently offline 6zeppelin6

1 Cup

I will say, and I don't know if it has been mentioned, that Yak's struggles to me is very comparable to that of Stamkos'.

Quote:

He [Stamkos] definitely struggled, scoring only four goals in the first half of his first year. Not exactly the showing you want from your top draft pick. The second half of the season, under Rick Tocchet, was much more productive for the then 18-year-old, scoring 19 goals in his final 41 games.

They go on to say that due to those struggles they basically had all but signed the papers on a deal that would have sent Stamkos to the Rangers where the Bolts could choose from a list of Evgeni Grachev, Michael Del Zotto, Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi.

Quote:

Thank the hockey gods that they didn't, however. In the three season following, Stamkos had 51-, 45-, and 60-goal seasons, respectively. Turns out, instability within an organization doesn't exactly inspire confidence in rookies. Once the OK Hockey circus left town, things have been much better for the team overall. And maybe Stamkos was just a late bloomer, anyways.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2012/9/4/3288927/what-if-the- rangers-traded-michael-del-zotto-for-steven-stamkos

There is also a link to his production vs other 1st overall picks and how it is comparable.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/11/12/5094342/nail-yakupovs -production-compared-to-recent-no-1-overall-picks

I think the key for the Oilers is to get Larionov on the same page and get him to shut his mouth.

HOPE

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3882/signuz.jpg

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614404 is a reply to message #614395 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

6zeppelin6 wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 12:33

There is also a link to his production vs other 1st overall picks and how it is comparable.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/11/12/5094342/nail-yakupovs -production-compared-to-recent-no-1-overall-picks

I think the key for the Oilers is to get Larionov on the same page and get him to shut his mouth.

Seriously, everyone read this article.

H-all
Y-akupov
P-erron
E-berle

Re: Yakupov done with the Oilers? [message #614413 is a reply to message #614404 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 13:02

6zeppelin6 wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 12:33

Seriously, everyone read this article.

The biggest takeaway for me is that, honestly, we're judging Yakupov as a second season player but his first season was extremely short. I would love it if we didn't trade him - knowing our management, we'll dump him for a bag of magic beans, improve our record enough by the end of the season that we'll have a brief period of hope and then plummet back down into the basement.

Hope is a long way away for me.

No Mo' Lowe

Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Canadian TV rights deal
Next Topic:What if poll
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca