Sun, 30 June 2013 19:08 Go to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

FINAL RANK: 147 MIDTERM RANK:
POSITION: Defenseman SHOOTS: Left
HEIGHT: 6' 5" WEIGHT: 200
BORN: September 29, 1994
BORN IN: Cranbrook, BC, CAN
DRAFTED: 2013: EDM (6th Round / 158th Overall)

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A P PIM
2012-2013 EVERETT WHL 61 1 5 6 100

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers draft 6th Rnd (159th) - Ben Betker [message #602018 is a reply to message #602007 ]
Sun, 30 June 2013 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Well at least he has size going for him ...

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: Oilers draft 6th Rnd (159th) - Ben Betker [message #602031 is a reply to message #602018 ]
Sun, 30 June 2013 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc  is currently offline Marc

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 30 June 2013 21:48

Well at least he has size going for him ...

I think this was a good gamble in the sixth round, maybe he is an Andy Sutton type of player. On the flipside he could be a Steve MacIntyre type that is too slow to play the game. I really have no knowledge of the player, but the boxcar numbers would indicate that he is a stay at home guy. This is what I think the late rounds should be about, trying to gamble to fill needs and hoping we get something of use to us.

EDIT: Kid has a good attitude and work ethic

Quote:

After drafting seven consecutive forwards, the Oilers finally returned to their blue line in the sixth round of the 2013 Draft, selecting WHL’er Ben Betker with the 158th pick. The 6’5″, left-shooting defenceman spent last season with the Everett Silvertips, playing 68 games and managing six points and 100 penalty minutes in that span.

In some ways, Betker is a trending player; he went unranked in both the preliminary and midterm Central Scouting lists, but ended up 147th among North American skaters in their final rankings. Even so, he was realistic about the possibility that he would slip through the draft entirely in an interview on the Silvertips official website, and vowed that he would just keep working if he wasn’t selected:
Quote:

Say that I don’t get drafted, right, than nothing has really changed from when I was a kid; I’ll just have to keep my nose to the grindstone and keep going. There’s a ton of players who aren’t drafted who sign contracts and play for a long time in the NHL. Look at [now Everett assistant coach] Mitch Love, he was never drafted; he signed. Another player, Dan Boyle, who some American fans may not know but we all know him as a Canadian, he’s an Olympic gold medalist – two-time, I believe – and he’s had a great career in San Jose with the Sharks. It’s guys like that you sort of look up to and hope to follow.
According to Betker, he needs to work on his skating – he described it as “a glaring” problem – and his shot. For strengths, he listed his work in the defensive zone and ability to make an outlet pass. Some might wonder about his defensive game given his minus-21 rating, but the Silvertips were minus-96 on the season so it really wasn’t that bad; the team’s six most-used defencemen were all in the red by double-digit numbers.

Interestingly, Betker was traded in a deal for fourth overall draft pick Seth Jones at the WHL level, being one of four players sent to Everett by the Portland Winterhawks in exchange for Jones. Unlike Jones, however, Betker’s a long way from the NHL right now, and seems a good bet to get at least one more year in junior and time in the minors before he can seriously challenge for a spot on the Oilers’ roster.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/06/30/edmonton-oilers- draft-ben-betker-158th-overall/

[Updated on: Sun, 30 June 2013 23:01]

"Third? Not third in the West, either? Overall? I think that... well. marijuana's legal in some areas." Whitney on Oilers being ranked #3 by SI

Re: Oilers draft 6th Rnd (159th) - Ben Betker [message #605082 is a reply to message #602007 ]
Fri, 02 August 2013 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

http://www.dailytownsman.com/breaking_news/218022721.html

"Ben Betker was never the biggest or fastest kid growing up, but no one could deny his love for the game. Back when we were all kids we played for the purest of reasons—fun. However, if someone would have told me back then that Ben Betker would get drafted to the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers, I would have been the first person to doubt it.

When we turned 13, we put down the mini-sticks and picked up the weights. This also marked the first time in my hockey career that I did not play with Ben. He was cut from the Bantam “A” team, but spent a year with the “B” team working hard and practicing every chance he could get. I believe getting cut that year still motivates him.
"

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Oilers draft 6th Rnd (159th) - Ben Betker [message #605108 is a reply to message #605082 ]
Fri, 02 August 2013 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

6 points in 68 games and -21? It would be an absolute miracle if this guy ever made the NHL. That's a guy drafted simply because he's 6'5.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Oilers draft 6th Rnd (159th) - Ben Betker [message #605109 is a reply to message #605108 ]
Fri, 02 August 2013 18:55 Go to previous message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 02 August 2013 18:41

6 points in 68 games and -21? It would be an absolute miracle if this guy ever made the NHL. That's a guy drafted simply because he's 6'5.

Haha... I looked at that:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/003 2842013.html

5 other guys were worse from -22 to -33 and one guy played 30 less games and was -19.

Everett was a BAD team. 25 wins, 40 losses, 7 OTL.

Ryan Murray was their #1D and he was injured after 23 games and lost for the season.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 August 2013 18:58]

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Previous Topic:30 in 30: Oilers preview on NHL.com
Next Topic:Oilers re-hire Billy Moores
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca