This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #572876]
Fri, 25 May 2012 14:04 Go to next message
jeff340  is currently offline jeff340

No Cups

Could the Oilers address all their needs on the blue line in the next 6 weeks?

Swap 1st round picks with Toronto with a deal involving Gardiner coming to Edmonton. Draft Reinhart with Toronto #5 pick. Hope the Gardiner deal is enough to entice J Schultz to sign on July 1.

You would add Gardiner, J Schultz, and G Reinhart. I think with that group, within a couple years you'd have 2 top four D-men and a 5-6 D-man.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #572877 is a reply to message #572876 ]
Fri, 25 May 2012 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Thing we're missing is a top 2, ideally a #1 d-man. Before Whitney got all screwed up with injuries, we had a glimpse of what that was like for the first time since Pronger.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #572878 is a reply to message #572877 ]
Fri, 25 May 2012 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

6 Cups

A big no to #1 for TOR 1st and Gardiner.

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #572879 is a reply to message #572878 ]
Fri, 25 May 2012 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 25 May 2012 16:14

Even if it's Galchenyuk and Gardiner for Murray? icon_wink

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #572880 is a reply to message #572879 ]
Fri, 25 May 2012 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Fri, 25 May 2012 17:20

Mike wrote on Fri, 25 May 2012 16:14

Even if it's Galchenyuk and Gardiner for Murray? icon_wink

LOL. Don't even joke about that.

IF Galchenyuk would be guaranteed, and IF getting Gardiner would also mean getting J Schultz, then that is a deal I might make.

But as there are no guarantees, just pick Yakupov and built the blue line up other ways.

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #580858 is a reply to message #572876 ]
Sat, 01 September 2012 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

I didn't really want to start an entirely new thread but I saw this tidbit:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/8/31/what-happens-after-you-go-fr om-the-outhouse-to-the-penthouse-2011-12-new-jersey-devils-s eason-preview

"Lamoriello made the odd decision of retaining Bryce Salvador to a ghastly 3 year contract, which means the Devils now have 7 defensemen on one-way deals as well as impressive youngster Adam Larsson. It therefore seems inevitable that New Jersey will make a trade, with the most likely candidates being Andy Greene, Henrik Tallinder, or Anton Volchenkov.

There's also the financial issues - the New York Post reported that as a result the Devils had to get approval from the league to make a trade for Marek Zidlicky. Rumors abound around owner Jeff Vanderbeek's ability to remain solvent in the face of the massive debt remaining on the Prudential Center. These fiscal woes could affect the Devils' ability to add salary if obvious needs emerge later on in the season.
"

I know Volchenkov is 30 and has some hard miles on him but would a trade for him involving Peckham, Eager and a lower draft pick have any traction?

The Devils' ownership is going thru some difficulties on the financing so they might be more willing to dump Volchenkov's $4.25 million cap hit for less returning salaries.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #580859 is a reply to message #580858 ]
Sat, 01 September 2012 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

I like Volchenkov a lot, so my first thought was Yes!

However, when I think about it more, wouldn't it be nicer if we could teach Peckham to play like Volchenkov instead? That way we retain the younger player and end up with the same. I know its not just as simple as sitting Pecks down for a talk, but I keep on thinking on Greene and how it would have been nice to hold onto him.

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #580860 is a reply to message #580859 ]
Sat, 01 September 2012 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

It's fair to say that the front end of the rebuild is over or close to. Now comes the real waiting, rebuilding the slower progressing defence.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #580861 is a reply to message #580858 ]
Sat, 01 September 2012 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Volchenkov about four years ago would have been perfect, but he seems to have lost a step and with his contact and age, I don't see things getting much better.

The guys I'd look at are Tallinder and Fayne who were both very good in the playoffs for the Devils. Fayne is probably a guy they don't want to move and would carry a higher price tag, but he seems like the real deal. Tallinder probably would be much cheaper and really was a calming force for New Jersey. Doesn't project long-term like some if the others, but if the price is right I'd totally consider him.

I don't think any moves happen before the new CBA, but New Jersey might be a good trading partner. But I still think Columbus would be the best. What would a package of Dubinsky and Tyutin cost? Maybe Gagner and a first? Those two guys would fill our holes and pretty much set us up for years...

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #580866 is a reply to message #580861 ]
Sat, 01 September 2012 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 01 September 2012 12:30

Volchenkov about four years ago would have been perfect, but he seems to have lost a step and with his contact and age, I don't see things getting much better.

The guys I'd look at are Tallinder and Fayne who were both very good in the playoffs for the Devils. Fayne is probably a guy they don't want to move and would carry a higher price tag, but he seems like the real deal. Tallinder probably would be much cheaper and really was a calming force for New Jersey. Doesn't project long-term like some if the others, but if the price is right I'd totally consider him.

Not sure if you're aware - but Tallinder is 33, 34 in January.

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #580867 is a reply to message #580866 ]
Sat, 01 September 2012 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Sat, 01 September 2012 13:25

Yeah, not a long-term solution, but he doesn't carry Volchenkov's ticket either. And he looked very good for the Devils in the Cup Final.

Re: Can Oilers solve defence problems by July 1 ? [message #580869 is a reply to message #580866 ]
Sat, 01 September 2012 14:21 Go to previous message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Sat, 01 September 2012 13:25

I've advocated in the past to keep Peckham because I was afraid of the same ""Matt Greene" type mistake as Messier11 mentioned. I've re-evaluated that stance based on the fact that our cupboard of prospect defencemen is absolutely overflowing.

The exchange of Peckham for Volchenkov upgrades the 2nd or 3rd pairings. Behind Peckham, we have Fedun, Potter, Teubert, and Marincin who could all fit into that #7 spare defence spot. Of those candidates, I'd keep Potter up and send the rest down for more AHL seasoning unless one of those others wins the job instead.

Volchenkov might wear down quickly but at least he'd be the bridge from this season until 3 or 4 years time in the future when all the brightest defence prospects have graduated to the Oilers. Sutton could do this babysitting job but he is older and slower and might only last a year or two more in his playing career.

The other thought is to wait for the new CBA and see who gets bought out. A lot of clubs will need to burn a ton of salary off to fit under any new cap level. In that case, this might make the day of the Horcoff-haters, but it'd make sense to buy him out so we have the cap room to pick up a bargain priced 3rd line center and a young-ish veteran bottom pair defencemen.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 September 2012 14:23]

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Previous Topic:NHL2
Next Topic:Hall and Ebs signed long term?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright OilFans.com 1996-2013.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca