None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Yakupov coming to EdmontonPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573222]
Thu, 31 May 2012 14:47 Go to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

No Cups

lol!! figured that title would gets lots of views!! - (am I a bad person!!?) icon_lol

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397301

Anyways, appears he's coming for a visit...I like some of the stuff Larionov had to say, of course he is his agent!! lol

The Oilers appear to be considering Yakupov among their many options. Larionov admitted towards the end of the interview that Yakupov was headed to Edmonton on Sunday for a day and a half after this week's NHL Draft Combine is through. He will then head home to prepare for the Draft.

“Now they've got to start to make the playoffs and start to play better as a team and be more consistent,” Larionov told Hayes. “I think Nail would be the perfect candidate [for them]. He can get right in the line-up and play hockey with all those young guys.”

“It's fun to watch them and it kind of reminds me of the Edmonton Oilers of the early 80s and the Red Army team after Lake Placid,” he said. “There were so many young guys and we were very successful because [we] had hockey sense and skill and speed and desire to be successful.”

In honor of Yak's visit I will change my avatar to honor the only pick we should be considering!!

In Stu we trust!!

[Updated on: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:24]

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

"I think it goes without saying that there is a lot of pressure on me," McDavid

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yakupov going to Edmonton [message #573223 is a reply to message #573222 ]
Thu, 31 May 2012 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

No Cups

Actual tweet: Grigorenko says the #ducks asked him to take his shoes off. They wanted to look at his feet. (via @reporterchris)

Tweet if he was talking about the Oilers: Grigorenko says the #oilers asked Steve Yzerman about his feet. Wanted to know what kind of poise his feet had.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Yakupov going to Edmonton [message #573224 is a reply to message #573223 ]
Thu, 31 May 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Wow! You just can't make that kinda stuff up!! lol

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

I hope you like Yakupov [message #573227 is a reply to message #573222 ]
Thu, 31 May 2012 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilmanFan  is currently offline OilmanFan

No Cups

Because he will be an Oiler come draft day. The only unsure pick was Hall/Seguin right up until draft time. The only way Yakupov won't become an oiler is if they get a trade off that blows them away and the asking price is huge.

I was very worried up until now that they would draft Murray with the #1, but as the draft gets closer I always tend to hear stuff from OHL sources being close to the ice dogs.

My top 3:

1. Yakupov
1B.Galchenyuk
3.Forsberg

If Seguin gets 51 pts:

G2K= $100
V4ance=$100

Nail Yakupov

Re: I hope you like Yakupov [message #573247 is a reply to message #573227 ]
Thu, 31 May 2012 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Can you elaborate on what you're hearing OilmanFan?

I have always thought Yakupov was the best choice, I just love his drive and pure passion to not only play hockey but score goals!!

His combine interview cliches it for me...you can just hear the passion and the desire to play in the best league in the world and give whatever team drafts him, his all!!

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4& id=179994&cmpid=embed-share-video

Sign me up for a ride on the Yak train!!!!!!! Check

Tambo didn't get the memo [message #573272 is a reply to message #573247 ]
Fri, 01 June 2012 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilmanFan  is currently offline OilmanFan

No Cups

Listen to this interview on the oilers site:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4& id=179988&lang=en

There is no way that they will let Tambo change the Oilers scouts ranking and let him draft Murray based on need? I know from a great source in the Oilers org that Yak is #1 on the list and Lowe according to him seems to be all for it.

I just don't see how Tambo will be allowed to go over the head of his scouts and Kevin Lowe.

I think that there are too many chef"s and ego's in the Oiler management kitchen.

If Seguin gets 51 pts:

G2K= $100
V4ance=$100

Nail Yakupov

Re: Tambo didn't get the memo [message #573274 is a reply to message #573272 ]
Fri, 01 June 2012 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Is there a worse interview in the NHL than our GM? My god - I've never heard anyone speak so many words without saying a damned thing.

Re: Tambo didn't get the memo [message #573275 is a reply to message #573274 ]
Fri, 01 June 2012 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

No Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 12:05

Is there a worse interview in the NHL than our GM? My god - I've never heard anyone speak so many words without saying a damned thing.

Greg Brady (Toronto guy) got a really good interview out of him this morning: http://lowetide.ca/blog/2012/06/tambellini-lucid.html

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: I hope you like Yakupov [message #573250 is a reply to message #573227 ]
Thu, 31 May 2012 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TJ39  is currently offline TJ39

No Cups

Oh OMF I hope your right!

By the way welcome back:).

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573253 is a reply to message #573222 ]
Thu, 31 May 2012 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

@Bob_Stauffer
For those asking Nail Yakupov will not be the lone top prospect to come to town for a visit. Murray, Reinhart, etc are all possibilities

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573302 is a reply to message #573253 ]
Fri, 01 June 2012 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Wow... Edmonton will probably be a big surprise for Griffin. Totally unfamiliar with this city.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573351 is a reply to message #573302 ]
Sat, 02 June 2012 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryanbryoil  is currently offline Bryanbryoil

No Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 08:23

Wow... Edmonton will probably be a big surprise for Griffin. Totally unfamiliar with this city.

Yeah, maybe they could take him to Rexall as well, he's never skated there either icon_wink

Speed and Hands

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573439 is a reply to message #573351 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Yakupov is in the hizzy.

I love this guy's swagger. I'm going to vomit if he's not an Oiler come draft day.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573444 is a reply to message #573439 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

He has a popped collar! He's a punk..

A punk I want drafted as an oiler.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573450 is a reply to message #573444 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

Step 1 Draft Yak

Step 2 Trade someone for D (not Ebs, Hall or RNH)

Step 3 Sign some quality D

Step 4 Go to playoffs

Step 5 Whoop some ......

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573265 is a reply to message #573222 ]
Fri, 01 June 2012 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

I don't understand why they are sheltering them from the media. To me the sooner you expose them to the fishbowl and see how they respond the better. What am I missing?

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573267 is a reply to message #573265 ]
Fri, 01 June 2012 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mullet wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 06:57

I don't understand why they are sheltering them from the media. To me the sooner you expose them to the fishbowl and see how they respond the better. What am I missing?

They are aren't under contract yet to the Oilers, so having a them stand in front of the media as a non-Oiler on behalf of the Oilers in a presser may not be kosher. Especially when only one guy will be an Oiler, the others end up on other NHL teams. Wouldn't be cool if the Leafs/Habs threw a big media event with Yakupov with their team logo behind him.

Though there's nothing to stop 1260, 630, etc from independently talking to them.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573268 is a reply to message #573267 ]
Fri, 01 June 2012 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 08:55

They are aren't under contract yet to the Oilers, so having a them stand in front of the media as a non-Oiler on behalf of the Oilers in a presser may not be kosher. Especially when only one guy will be an Oiler, the others end up on other NHL teams. Wouldn't be cool if the Leafs/Habs threw a big media event with Yakupov with their team logo behind him.

Though there's nothing to stop 1260, 630, etc from independently talking to them.

This makes sense to me. I'm glad the team is doing their due diligence ahead of the draft, but not everything needs to be a media opportunity. Save the press conference for after he's drafted.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573460 is a reply to message #573267 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 07:55

So.... yeah....

http://stingergames.com/junk/hockey/YakupovOilers.jpg

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573454 is a reply to message #573222 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

http://oilersnation.com/2012/6/4/nail-yakupov-in-his-own-wor ds

A little more on Yakupov.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573455 is a reply to message #573454 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

That is such a great article!! Surely if we derive his value by reading articles like that then our braintrust can glean some semblance of his worth after meeting him, touring him around town, etc..!?

I can't help but like this kid the more I hear him talk... I'm really impressed with the "no partying" attitude, his drive to be the best and his work ethic on off days.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573462 is a reply to message #573455 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

I like his personality a lot too. I don't think we'll see any "Yakupov" tattoos on the back of his arm any time soon. The kid seems to only care about 1 thing, being as good as he can be at playing hockey. The possibility of having him and Hall on the same line makes me very very excited.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573472 is a reply to message #573462 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regulator  is currently offline Regulator

No Cups

oobga wrote on Mon, 04 June 2012 13:34

I like his personality a lot too. I don't think we'll see any "Yakupov" tattoos on the back of his arm any time soon. The kid seems to only care about 1 thing, being as good as he can be at playing hockey. The possibility of having him and Hall on the same line makes me very very excited.

That would be sick, can you imagine the intensity, raw power and aggression combined with the will to score in whatever way possible b/w those 2?

Have Nuge / Ebs on one line, Hall and Yak on the other, and find a nice complimentary piece to play with them i.e. Burrows with the Sedins.....

I would love to pencil in PRV somewhere, but I think he will be better suited on the 3rd line. Hartikinen I can see playing with Nuge and Ebs, a bigger body that can go to the tough areas.

As for our #2C - who knows - what I do know Gagner is not the answer, and yes we have argued about this already lol

Draft the Yak!!! Sign a good free agent D, and wait for Marincin, Musil, Klefbom, Gernat and Teubert!!!

dkb19 wrote on Mon, 20 July 2009 13:05 (re: Horcoff)

He's like a mastercard comercial, alot of what he does is priceless.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573459 is a reply to message #573222 ]
Mon, 04 June 2012 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

http://p.twimg.com/AukRssGCQAEsIS_.jpg:large

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573523 is a reply to message #573459 ]
Tue, 05 June 2012 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MidnightCopper  is currently offline MidnightCopper

No Cups

It would be a little awkward having him pose in front of the replica Stanley Cups like that if you didn't plan to draft him...and more awkward if you did this with all the recruits coming in. Might be better to do that after you draft him.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573530 is a reply to message #573523 ]
Tue, 05 June 2012 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G-Star  is currently offline G-Star

No Cups

If you watched the first season of Oil Change, the same thing happened with Seguin and Hall. Not to strange to have a few players come and see how they react around the building and people.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573551 is a reply to message #573530 ]
Tue, 05 June 2012 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

No Cups

Ok - a couple of silly questions and apologies in advance in case you've all been discussing it. I've been off the grid for the last year or two and this is the first thread I've read.

1) I heard Gregor say Yakupov would have to play left wing if he was in Edmonton. Is it realistic to ask your #1 overall to switch positions?
2) Is there any reason to believe the Oil would try to also get hard-hitting D Matt Dumba or would the team look to get an experienced D instead?

Cheers,
MBG

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573572 is a reply to message #573551 ]
Tue, 05 June 2012 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

No Cups

MyBestGuess wrote on Tue, 05 June 2012 15:33

Ok - a couple of silly questions and apologies in advance in case you've all been discussing it. I've been off the grid for the last year or two and this is the first thread I've read.

1) I heard Gregor say Yakupov would have to play left wing if he was in Edmonton. Is it realistic to ask your #1 overall to switch positions?
2) Is there any reason to believe the Oil would try to also get hard-hitting D Matt Dumba or would the team look to get an experienced D instead?

Cheers,
MBG

To #1 question, yes.

Anything to win.

I'm glad we're actually looking at switching Hall to center as well. It'll teach him to keep his head on a swivel so he doesn't get crushed from both sides. Hopefully, add years to his career.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573600 is a reply to message #573572 ]
Wed, 06 June 2012 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

v4ance wrote on Tue, 05 June 2012 23:59

Cheers,
MBG

To #1 question, yes.

Anything to win.

I'm glad we're actually looking at switching Hall to center as well. It'll teach him to keep his head on a swivel so he doesn't get crushed from both sides. Hopefully, add years to his career.

With that one timer of Yakupov's, would much rather see him stay on the right.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573607 is a reply to message #573600 ]
Wed, 06 June 2012 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 06 June 2012 08:44

Cheers,
MBG

To #1 question, yes.

Anything to win.

I think if I'm the Oilers and I'm blessed with that much talent up front, I'm using training camp to try out every combination of Hall, Eberle, Hemsky and Yakupov on the wings. While everyone is going to have a side they feel most comfortable on, we switch people's side all the time in mens' league and people make adjustments. I'm sure that most NHL players can do the same. All we need is one player to switch to his off-side, and we probably have one of the best 1-2 punches in the league.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573612 is a reply to message #573607 ]
Wed, 06 June 2012 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 June 2012 09:57

Cheers,
MBG

To #1 question, yes.

Anything to win.

I think if I'm the Oilers and I'm blessed with that much talent up front, I'm using training camp to try out every combination of Hall, Eberle, Hemsky and Yakupov on the wings. While everyone is going to have a side they feel most comfortable on, we switch people's side all the time in mens' league and people make adjustments. I'm sure that most NHL players can do the same. All we need is one player to switch to his off-side, and we probably have one of the best 1-2 punches in the league.

Plus, while it was a limited sample size, Hemsky was playing LW with Jordan Eberle at the end of last season and didn't look like he missed a beat. So I think Hemmer could switch quite easily.

The only down side to that is Taylor Hall is probably the most ready to do heavy lifting and play heavy minutes of the three young wingers (Hall, Eberle, Yakupov). If he's ready to handle it, it'd be nice to have Hemsky and Hall go head-to-head with the other team's top units, instead of Hemsky, Horcoff, and Smyth.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573613 is a reply to message #573607 ]
Wed, 06 June 2012 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 June 2012 12:57

Cheers,
MBG

To #1 question, yes.

Anything to win.

I agree - but you saw how pathetic Erik Cole looked when they switched him. And even Paajarvi - he's a "LW", but all of his best shifts have come when he was playing on the RW.

I think Hemsky can dangle just as well from the left as he can from the right, but that Yakupov one timer I would think would be harder to get off if he were playing LW. I'm sure he could still find his way to open ice to get it off, but why not put him in a position where there are more chances to use it.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573615 is a reply to message #573613 ]
Wed, 06 June 2012 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 06 June 2012 10:30

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 June 2012 12:57

Cheers,
MBG

To #1 question, yes.

Anything to win.

I agree - but you saw how pathetic Erik Cole looked when they switched him. And even Paajarvi - he's a "LW", but all of his best shifts have come when he was playing on the RW.

I think Hemsky can dangle just as well from the left as he can from the right, but that Yakupov one timer I would think would be harder to get off if he were playing LW. I'm sure he could still find his way to open ice to get it off, but why not put him in a position where there are more chances to use it.

It's true. Cole is one of those guys who just couldn't switch. It's not a fail-proof plan, but at the same time, I'd rather see the team mix-and-match and find a way, rather than have one of those four possibly getting some minutes less per night playing third line ice time with weaker linemates. If that's Hemsky moving, great, but I'd try moving them all...see who fits best where.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #573855 is a reply to message #573615 ]
Sat, 09 June 2012 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zoofarmcheater  is currently offline zoofarmcheater

No Cups

Hall and Hemsky are our two best wingers when it comes to thriving against the other team's first line. Plus last year when Renney line matched Nuuuge & Eberle against easier competition, they tore the place down, but when we were away and couldn't line match, they weren't as great. So I would have Hall & Hemsky on the first line vs the other team's first line, and I'd put Yakupov-Nuuuge-Eberle as the second line. I'm guessing they would tear apart the other team's 2nd & 3rd lines. Gagner had decent enough chemistry with Hall & Hemsky, so I would put him between them, unless we find a better option in free agency.

"You've got to smile every day because life you just live once. You've got to push everything you can every day and be nice with the people and keep your family in your heart." - Nail Yakupov

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #574168 is a reply to message #573615 ]
Wed, 13 June 2012 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

No Cups

As long as they all average more even strength and PP time than Horcoff and Smyth, it'll be a fair shake for the kids. MPS included, as he's a better player after a flat of beer than Horcoff is walking out of church.

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #574164 is a reply to message #573613 ]
Wed, 13 June 2012 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTR17  is currently offline BTR17

No Cups

Agreed, Magnus looks best on RW, where he's able to drive to the net on the off-wing.

"The Oilers are playing like they'd rather die than lose."

Mike Emerick, on-air, after the Game 3 win over Anaheim in the 2006 Western Conference Final.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #574214 is a reply to message #573607 ]
Wed, 13 June 2012 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 June 2012 09:57

Except they'll have to wait midseason to test out Hall's versatility due to the shoulder surgery

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #574218 is a reply to message #574214 ]
Wed, 13 June 2012 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Did I miss something? I thought it was expected Hall would be 100% by the start or close to the start of the season?!

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #574219 is a reply to message #574218 ]
Wed, 13 June 2012 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oilfanforever!! wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 12:10

Did I miss something? I thought it was expected Hall would be 100% by the start or close to the start of the season?!

Should be. As I recall he might be at training camp, but should be back in October at the latest. Last I heard, he was already back to practising shooting and that was some time ago.

But until he is back, it's all guess work.

Re: Yakupov coming to Edmonton [message #814061 is a reply to message #573607 ]
Wed, 16 November 2022 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

This thread nearly made me have a heart attack for a second lol

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca