F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers' new hire
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers' new hire [message #362682]
Fri, 22 June 2007 15:25 Go to next message
Tarkus  is currently offline Tarkus

2 Cups

From The Sports Network: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork& ;amp ;amp ;page=news/news/fates-fortunes.htm

Apparently, the Oilers have named Rick Olczyk as the team's director of hockey administration and legal affairs.

So he takes over some of Howson's old duties, but there's still a need for an assistant GM, no?

Can't find out a whole lot about him aside from this tidbit here (from last June, so keep that it mind): http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=1614

"Rick Olczyk, the brother of Ed, is a strong candidate to become the next assistant general manger with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Nashville has also expressed interest; St. Louis is an outside possibility.

Rick is a very smart man who deserves a shot. Sources in Toronto tell me John Ferguson Jr. has told Olczyk not to sign with any organization without checking back with Toronto first."

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2007 15:30]

“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile hoping it will eat him last.”- Winston Churchill

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers' new hire [message #362688 is a reply to message #362682 ]
Fri, 22 June 2007 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilswell  is currently offline oilswell

No Cups

Tarkus wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 16:25

The Oilers have named Rick Olczyk as the team's director of hockey administration and legal affairs.

Great find Tarkus. Olczyk used to be legal counsel for NHLPA, right? Sounds like a decent background and he played hockey too.

What does an AGM do apart from that?

Only problem I can see is that he doesn't have enough Oilers rings.

Ed: JD from Cornell and Assistant Councilor Labor Department of the NHLPA, former player agent? On the basis of pure CV this doesn't sound like a bad hire at all.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2007 15:55]

Re: Oilers' new hire [message #362689 is a reply to message #362688 ]
Fri, 22 June 2007 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superintendent  is currently offline Superintendent

1 Cup

oilswell wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 15:47

With the way this team is run at times...I'm thinking that's a good thing...

Re: Oilers' new hire [message #362690 is a reply to message #362688 ]
Fri, 22 June 2007 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

YESSS!!!!

This is the signing we've all been waiting for! Looks like Lowe's really been working the phones. Now all we need is a first-line center and a #1/#2 D-man!!!!

This is good news!

You is correct! [message #362692 is a reply to message #362688 ]
Fri, 22 June 2007 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tarkus  is currently offline Tarkus

2 Cups

oilswell wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 15:47

Tarkus wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 16:25

The Oilers have named Rick Olczyk as the team's director of hockey administration and legal affairs.

Great find Tarkus. Olczyk used to be legal counsel for NHLPA, right? Sounds like a decent background and he played hockey too.

Indeed, he was once a legal beagle for the PA: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060623. wleafs23/BNStory/Sports/Hockey/

EDIT: Google "Rick Olczyk NHLPA" and this article will come up in its entirety without needing to register.

Quote:

What does an AGM do apart from that?

Golf? confused2

Quote:

Maybe they'll accept brother Ed's Cup ring with the '94 Oilers, er, Rangers instead?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2007 15:57]

“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile hoping it will eat him last.”- Winston Churchill

Re: You is correct! [message #362701 is a reply to message #362692 ]
Fri, 22 June 2007 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilswell  is currently offline oilswell

No Cups

Tarkus wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 16:51

Maybe they'll accept brother Ed's Cup ring with the '94 Oilers, er, Rangers instead?

LOL nice. As good as Peters' connection at least.

Re: You is correct! [message #362705 is a reply to message #362692 ]
Fri, 22 June 2007 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

Tarkus wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 19:21

The '94 New York Oilers? The team that boasted Lowe, MacTavish? Nah, Rick couldn't be considered Old School through his brother. Ed only got into 1 game in the playoffs that year. He wouldn't have gotten tight with the Edmonton seven in that short time, I'm sure. We may actually be safe on this one. Wave Towel

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Oilers' new hire [message #363649 is a reply to message #362682 ]
Mon, 25 June 2007 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldGreyMonkey  is currently offline OldGreyMonkey

No Cups

Tarkus wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 15:25

Apparently, the Oilers have named Rick Olczyk as the team's director of hockey administration and legal affairs.

So he takes over some of Howson's old duties, but there's still a need for an assistant GM, no?

I'll wade in and say this - if we still feel we need an assistant GM, please dear god let MacT fill this position & talk to players, let Olcyzk look after everything contract / cap / agent related.
That way, we have an incredibly astute capologist, a guy that players like to attract them here, and it allows us to hire someone here that can actually teach a transition offence scheme like they know what they are doing.
We'd be winners all the way around.

Happy to announce a permanent Oilfan vacation.

Re: Oilers' new hire [message #363677 is a reply to message #363649 ]
Mon, 25 June 2007 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halesway  is currently offline halesway

No Cups

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Mon, 25 June 2007 14:43

I'll wade in and say this - if we still feel we need an assistant GM, please dear god let MacT fill this position & talk to players, let Olcyzk look after everything contract / cap / agent related.
That way, we have an incredibly astute capologist, a guy that players like to attract them here, and it allows us to hire someone here that can actually teach a transition offence scheme like they know what they are doing.

I actually like that idea - Mac T is a personable enough guy - hmmmm - old boys club and then bring in an actualy coach to teach some offence!!! Brilliance sheer brilliance. How does one get Mac T to submit his resume, and who'd be on the coaching short list?!?!?!

Re: Oilers' new hire [message #363678 is a reply to message #363649 ]
Mon, 25 June 2007 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KSC10032  is currently offline KSC10032

No Cups

OldGreyMonkey wrote on Mon, 25 June 2007 14:43

I was (half-jokingly) advocating this a month ago.

A lot of it depends upon how much work needs to be done in terms of pro-scouting management and pro player acquisition.

As well, its a question of whether -- and to what degree -- MacTavish is suffering from coach burnout.

"Where the search for the truth is conducted with a wink, and a nod." Jackson Browne 1996

KSC

Messier [message #363734 is a reply to message #362682 ]
Mon, 25 June 2007 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

2 Cups

I wonder if, now that we got a numbers/legal guy in the fold, that this opens up a spot for Messier to be some type of 'associate' or assistant GM or something.

The team sure seems to be trying to do a hard sell for the team right now, and while Messier would bring little substance to offer, his presence with the club would be a 'feel good' that the team is looking for and who knows - maybe a skate or two on the ice to offer some guidance or a pre-game talk here and there.

It would certainly take some heat off KLowe right now and would bring some national press that does NOT revolve around crappy drafting or UFAs wanting out.

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Re: Messier [message #363747 is a reply to message #363734 ]
Mon, 25 June 2007 19:40 Go to previous message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

MyBestGuess wrote on Mon, 25 June 2007 18:44

I wonder if, now that we got a numbers/legal guy in the fold, that this opens up a spot for Messier to be some type of 'associate' or assistant GM or something.

The team sure seems to be trying to do a hard sell for the team right now, and while Messier would bring little substance to offer, his presence with the club would be a 'feel good' that the team is looking for and who knows - maybe a skate or two on the ice to offer some guidance or a pre-game talk here and there.

It would certainly take some heat off KLowe right now and would bring some national press that does NOT revolve around crappy drafting or UFAs wanting out.

I like the idea, but my gut tells me that if and when we see Mess in a non-player role with any NHL team, it'll be the Rangers.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Previous Topic:Oilers select Sam Gagner at #6
Next Topic:Oilers First Round Review Thread
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca