Samorukov traded to St. Louis [message #812415]
Sun, 09 October 2022 11:19 Go to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Trade is 1 for 1 for Klim Kostin.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Samorukov traded to st Louis [message #812416 is a reply to message #812415 ]
Sun, 09 October 2022 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sun, 09 October 2022 11:19

The fact that he wasn't claimed tells me most of the league didn't see him as an NHL player. Getting a winger for him helps with the depth imbalance.
I dont know anything about Kostin other than what I just read so no idea if he has a chance to b an NHL'er but from an asset management POV this seems like the right move.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Samorukov traded to st Louis [message #812417 is a reply to message #812416 ]
Sun, 09 October 2022 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 09 October 2022 11:23

The fact that he wasn't claimed tells me most of the league didn't see him as an NHL player. Getting a winger for him helps with the depth imbalance.
I dont know anything about Kostin other than what I just read so no idea if he has a chance to b an NHL'er but from an asset management POV this seems like the right move.

I’m floored. This is exactly what the Oilers should be doing right now if they feel that Broberg and Niemelainen are higher on the team’s depth chart. They snuck Samorukov through at the time of year where it’s hardest for teams to pick up extra players, but there was no guarantee he would get through again in the future.

Has Kostin been through waivers yet this year? Does he require waivers?

EDIT - by my very rudimentary understanding, he does not require waivers until next year or another 30 odd NHL games.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 October 2022 11:52]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Samorukov traded to St. Louis [message #812418 is a reply to message #812415 ]
Sun, 09 October 2022 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I pumped to see how Sammy would do.. I expect in St. Louis he has a better chance, and pretty good D to play with and learn from..

Kostin on a similar path as Samy.. but he's had a half season (last year) playing in the NHL..
Same age, same size, same contracts, both waived and unclaimed.

Looks like Oilers really wanted to move Samy, no need to trade to acquire Kostin, he was already waived, could've just claimed him.. same with St. Louis, they could have had Samy for free..
Odd trade, trading two guys for each other that just cleared waivers.

Could be both GM's moving players to places for a fresh start..
Samy might have fewer LHD in front of him in St. louis.. not same for Kostin.. he shoots left.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/312823/klim-kostin

This from 2017 scouting reports..

Quote:

Can carry defenders around the ice with his power and balance, or stickhandle around them with a deke or two as he goes to the net, Futureconsiderations.ca 2017
He is a smooth skater with a deep knee bend that produces a long, powerful stride and he can generate speed with very few strides, Hockeyprospect.com 2017

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Samorukov traded to st Louis [message #812419 is a reply to message #812417 ]
Sun, 09 October 2022 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 09 October 2022 10:50

I’m floored. This is exactly what the Oilers should be doing right now if they feel that Broberg and Niemelainen are higher on the team’s depth chart. They snuck Samorukov through at the time of year where it’s hardest for teams to pick up extra players, but there was no guarantee he would get through again in the future.

EDIT - by my very rudimentary understanding, he does not require waivers until next year or another 30 odd NHL games.

Kostin just cleared waivers as well.. a day before Samy

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Samorukov traded to st Louis [message #812421 is a reply to message #812419 ]
Sun, 09 October 2022 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 09 October 2022 12:17

I could be wrong but I think if you claim a guy off waivers you have to keep in on your NHL club.
By trading two guys, who just cleared waivers, for each other, I believe each team can send the player straight to the farm team right away.
There is a chance the teams had trade talks first on the condition that the player cleared waivers so they wouldnt have to risk the loss themselves, post trade.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Samorukov traded to st Louis [message #812422 is a reply to message #812421 ]
Sun, 09 October 2022 17:50 Go to previous message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 09 October 2022 13:31

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 09 October 2022 12:17

I could be wrong but I think if you claim a guy off waivers you have to keep in on your NHL club.
By trading two guys, who just cleared waivers, for each other, I believe each team can send the player straight to the farm team right away.
There is a chance the teams had trade talks first on the condition that the player cleared waivers so they wouldnt have to risk the loss themselves, post trade.

Yep.. that's the reason.. this way they can each send them direct to the AHL without going through waivers again, which you'd have to do if they claimed them.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:2022 Training camp thread
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca