This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791407]
Tue, 24 August 2021 11:34 Go to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Oilers join the Jets, Leafs, Canucks, and Flames with a vaccination policy for the upcoming season:

Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) announced today enhanced COVID-19 health and safety requirements at Rogers Place. Starting with the first Oilers pre-season game on September 28, 2021, and for the foreseeable future, fans aged 12 and older must present proof of one of the following for entry into Rogers Place:

Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination received at least 14 days before the day of the game (the full series of a Government of Canada accepted COVID-19 vaccine or combination of accepted vaccines). Either electronic or paper records will be accepted. Albertans' immunization records are easily viewed online and available on cell phones through MyHealthRecords or by downloading the MyHealthRecords app.
A negative COVID-19 test result from an approved testing provider taken within 48 hours of the game's scheduled start time (for example: if a game is on Thursday at 7:00 PM, the COVID-19 test must be taken any time beginning 7:00 PM on Tuesday)
OEG also requires all employees, volunteers and contractors be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with a Health Canada approved vaccine or combination of vaccines at least 14 days prior to September 28, 2021.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oeg-announces-covid- 19-health-and-safety-requirements/c-326017254

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791408 is a reply to message #791407 ]
Tue, 24 August 2021 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

I'm not able to attend Oiler games in person and hate telling other people what they should or need to do, but this war measures type of action is, sadly, necessary

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791414 is a reply to message #791407 ]
Tue, 24 August 2021 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I'm curious what the game day logistics of this are. I upload my proof days before the game and then what happens at the gate? Better arrive super early just in case.

Given the consistent increase in Albertan hospitalizations, I'll bet there won't be any spectators in attendance at games by December anyway.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791416 is a reply to message #791407 ]
Tue, 24 August 2021 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

This makes me very happy. Pretty excited to get back to going to games. This news means the average iq of an attending Oilers fan just went up quite a bit.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791421 is a reply to message #791407 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Just seen a boat load of comments on social media about how this is like Nazi’s asking for papers and how to not support them.

PLEASE, stay home. It’s exactly the same. Don’t support the Oilers, don’t come to the games. It would be nice if we could just eliminate the part of the fan base.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791422 is a reply to message #791421 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 08:14

Just seen a boat load of comments on social media about how this is like Nazi’s asking for papers and how to not support them.

PLEASE, stay home. It’s exactly the same. Don’t support the Oilers, don’t come to the games. It would be nice if we could just eliminate the part of the fan base.

I have a friend, not one of my closest friends but a friend and I am starting to wonder if should continue the friendship but he has been against all restrictions from day 1 and against vaccinations and will often posts stories and quotes comparing vaccine requirements to what the Nazi's did and it's getting to the point that it's too much for me. Saying that wanting people to get a vaccine to protect human lives that 100's, maybe 1000's of doctors and scientists world wide have studied and said is safe and comparing it to the Nazi's who committed genocide is pretty over the top.

On the OEG, I am happy about it. It's probably going to be a nightmare in the beginning for them but it's necessary in my opinion. People have a right to not get vaccinated but they don't have the right to potentially put other people in danger. There needs to be consequences to people's actions. There will be a small amount of people who won't go because of these restrictions which is fine but I am guessing the amount of people that will go now because of them will far, far exceed the few that don't.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 August 2021 08:33]

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791425 is a reply to message #791422 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 08:29

I have a friend, not one of my closest friends but a friend and I am starting to wonder if should continue the friendship but he has been against all restrictions from day 1 and against vaccinations and will often posts stories and quotes comparing vaccine requirements to what the Nazi's did and it's getting to the point that it's too much for me. Saying that wanting people to get a vaccine to protect human lives that 100's, maybe 1000's of doctors and scientists world wide have studied and said is safe and comparing it to the Nazi's who committed genocide is pretty over the top.

On the OEG, I am happy about it. It's probably going to be a nightmare in the beginning for them but it's necessary in my opinion. People have a right to not get vaccinated but they don't have the right to potentially put other people in danger. There needs to be consequences to people's actions. There will be a small amount of people who won't go because of these restrictions which is fine but I am guessing the amount of people that will go now because of them will far, far exceed the few that don't.

I saw something on twitter today mentioning that while there's been a lot of grumbling from anonymous folks online today about this, there isn't a lot of evidence that there's a bunch of season tickets suddenly back on the market. You wonder how many empty threats there are, or threats from people who don't get many tickets anyhow. Tickets are pretty expensive - I imagine that more deniers come from groups that are less educated and make less money - they probably are a small minority of the ticketholders anyhow.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791429 is a reply to message #791407 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

How does an average joe with no symptoms get a test now to satisfy this requirement? Jack Mintz rapid tests paid for out of pocket I guess?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791430 is a reply to message #791425 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 10:28

I saw something on twitter today mentioning that while there's been a lot of grumbling from anonymous folks online today about this, there isn't a lot of evidence that there's a bunch of season tickets suddenly back on the market. You wonder how many empty threats there are, or threats from people who don't get many tickets anyhow. Tickets are pretty expensive - I imagine that more deniers come from groups that are less educated and make less money - they probably are a small minority of the ticketholders anyhow.

I strongly agree with your thoughts here. The people around here (GP) and on Facebook that are crying and moaning the loudest about this rarely, if ever, go to an actual game.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791431 is a reply to message #791425 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't purchase season tickets but I usually either buy mini packets or just purchase some through the buy sell on the Oilers site. For me, I would feel more comfortable going knowing people all around me are vaccinated.

There are going to be people who won't get it no matter what and will boycott whoever and that is fine. But what they have to realize is, why they are free to make that choice, there are consequences to your decision like it should be. They have the right to ignore science and decide what they put into their bodies. Go for it. But private business should also have the right to protect themselves and their business. Not only provide safety for their employees but also protect against the potential tremendous cost that a covid outbreak from an unvaccinated person could cause. An unvaccinated person comes in, spends a short period of time at that business, then leaves. But the ramifications they could cause that business by not be vaccinated and unknowingly spreading the virus could be HUGE and crippling to a business.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791432 is a reply to message #791431 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 12:25

I don't purchase season tickets but I usually either buy mini packets or just purchase some through the buy sell on the Oilers site. For me, I would feel more comfortable going knowing people all around me are vaccinated.

There are going to be people who won't get it no matter what and will boycott whoever and that is fine. But what they have to realize is, why they are free to make that choice, there are consequences to your decision like it should be. They have the right to ignore science and decide what they put into their bodies. Go for it. But private business should also have the right to protect themselves and their business. Not only provide safety for their employees but also protect against the potential tremendous cost that a covid outbreak from an unvaccinated person could cause. An unvaccinated person comes in, spends a short period of time at that business, then leaves. But the ramifications they could cause that business by not be vaccinated and unknowingly spreading the virus could be HUGE and crippling to a business.

The negative PR from having an outbreak come from a game is a major concern for teams, as well, likely to some potential legal exposure if they can be proven to have not provided a safe atmosphere.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791434 is a reply to message #791429 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 11:56

How does an average joe with no symptoms get a test now to satisfy this requirement? Jack Mintz rapid tests paid for out of pocket I guess?

I would assume that Dynalife's very effective travel testing program would happily take your money for this purpose. We use them for industry testing and they're awesome to deal with.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791435 is a reply to message #791432 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 12:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 12:25

The negative PR from having an outbreak come from a game is a major concern for teams, as well, likely to some potential legal exposure if they can be proven to have not provided a safe atmosphere.

That too. It would be a nightmare for them if they did nothing, someone got covid from a game and it went on to kill someone. By making it mandatory to be vaccinated or get tested, they have the argument they did what they could.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791440 is a reply to message #791421 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

It would be nice if we could eliminate you're segment from the fanbase from games amongst other things...

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791441 is a reply to message #791422 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Potentially put other people in danger from who exactly? You know you're a special kinda stupid when ur ripping Trudeau quotes. If you're vaxxed you're immune right...or at least can't die from it? However, its been proven a vaccinated person can catch/transmit said disease just as easily as an unvaccianted person so maybe all u vax losers need to get off ur moral high horse and just admit that u took an expirmental drug that basically doesn't do crap

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791442 is a reply to message #791425 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Wild imagination you have...I know plenty of ppl anti vax who are season ticket holders and well off and pro vax ppl who live off welfare and EI and vice versa. Keep your imagination to yourself bud

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791443 is a reply to message #791442 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 20:50

Wild imagination you have...I know plenty of ppl anti vax who are season ticket holders and well off and pro vax ppl who live off welfare and EI and vice versa. Keep your imagination to yourself bud

Are they asking for a refund now?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791444 is a reply to message #791407 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

I guess at least one fan has followed through on the threat;
https://www.660citynews.com/2021/08/24/oilers-fan-season-tic kets-covid19-policy/

My favorite line;

Quote:

If you’re asking me for my double vaccine requirement, can you ask someone if they got their STI test?

Now, like most here, I am not a doctor, scientist, or any other person with profession to speak on disease transmission.
That said, if he has a chance of catching an STI in the stands, I have been under-celebrating big wins my entire life.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791445 is a reply to message #791440 ]
Wed, 25 August 2021 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 20:39

It would be nice if we could eliminate you're segment from the fanbase from games amongst other things...

Why are you acting like a Nazi?

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791448 is a reply to message #791442 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hey, not everyone who's poor is ignorant - so I think it makes sense that lots of people on welfare would still be pro-vaccination. I mean, it's pretty clearly shown to help keep people healthy.

I take it you've decided to boycott the Oilers this year?

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791449 is a reply to message #791441 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 20:46

Potentially put other people in danger from who exactly? You know you're a special kinda stupid when ur ripping Trudeau quotes. If you're vaxxed you're immune right...or at least can't die from it? However, its been proven a vaccinated person can catch/transmit said disease just as easily as an unvaccianted person so maybe all u vax losers need to get off ur moral high horse and just admit that u took an expirmental drug that basically doesn't do crap

Maybe you should do some more reading on this. Just from simple math of who's in the ICUs in Alberta now, it appears that people who are vaccinated are about 15x less likely to develop a very severe reaction to the disease ending in hospitalization. You can still catch COVID when vaccinated - which is why people would prefer not to have the unvaccinated out in public - but you are less likely to become very sick, you're less likely to die, and now studies are showing that vaccinated people are less contagious.

Out of curiousity, what education level do you have?

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791450 is a reply to message #791440 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just for future reference:

"You're" means you are. "Your" means belonging to you.

The only good nazi is a grammar nazi.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791451 is a reply to message #791449 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 August 2021 08:25

Maybe you should do some more reading on this. Just from simple math of who's in the ICUs in Alberta now, it appears that people who are vaccinated are about 15x less likely to develop a very severe reaction to the disease ending in hospitalization. You can still catch COVID when vaccinated - which is why people would prefer not to have the unvaccinated out in public - but you are less likely to become very sick, you're less likely to die, and now studies are showing that vaccinated people are less contagious.

Out of curiousity, what education level do you have?

What boggles my mind is how the anti vax crowd continue to bring up the fact that the vaccine isn't 100% from stopping someone from getting it. Is there a vaccine or medication out there for ANYTHING that is 100%? I am not a doc or a pharmacist so I don't know for certain.

What I also laugh at is an anti vax person saying they don't know what's in it. So when you go to the doc and get your infant kids vaccinated for all kinds of stuff that can kill them, do you know what's in the shots? NO. I bet you don't even ask. When you have a head ache and pop a couple of pills to make it go away, do you know what is in it? I doubt it. Half the stuff we probably can't pronounce correctly. For me, if the vaccine or the push to get it was coming from 1 person in 1 country, then I would question it a bit. But when it's coming from 100's of doc's and scientists and virus people from many, many countries, all over the world, many of these countries have completely different agendas, opinions and ways of doing things compared to Canada, yet they are all saying the same thing, it's pretty hard for me as a educated person to question that.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2021 08:39]

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791455 is a reply to message #791441 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 19:46

Yes, you are a special kind of stupid. I was requested to remove this post due to the clear misinformation you're trying to spread here. Why not leave it and have it as your own personal hall of shame. Your post will not age well. Mine probably won't either.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791458 is a reply to message #791444 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 21:29

https://www.660citynews.com/2021/08/24/oilers-fan-season-tic kets-covid19-policy/

My favorite line;

Quote:

If you’re asking me for my double vaccine requirement, can you ask someone if they got their STI test?

Now, like most here, I am not a doctor, scientist, or any other person with profession to speak on disease transmission.
That said, if he has a chance of catching an STI in the stands, I have been under-celebrating big wins my entire life.

Lol, if I had a nickel for every time I hear someone claim "I partied with Mess, Fuhr, Gretz in the 80's", I'd buy myself a toilet made of gold.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791459 is a reply to message #791458 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Thu, 26 August 2021 11:07

My favorite line;

Quote:

Lol, if I had a nickel for every time I hear someone claim "I partied with Mess, Fuhr, Gretz in the 80's", I'd buy myself a toilet made of gold.

I always wonder how this news organization decided that this Joe Schmo needs to make news. Did they actually even confirm with the Oilers if he did have seats for 38 years or if he has informed them he's cancelling?

I do like the part where he's saying that he partied with the greats and spent money on memorabilia - "but all that's done!" Well, I think it's fair to say he's not partying much with Gretzky anyhow. I wonder if people can get a good deal on the memorabilia he doesn't need any more?

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791461 is a reply to message #791459 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 August 2021 11:45

bigEfromGP wrote on Thu, 26 August 2021 11:07

My favorite line;

Quote:

I always wonder how this news organization decided that this Joe Schmo needs to make news. Did they actually even confirm with the Oilers if he did have seats for 38 years or if he has informed them he's cancelling?

I do like the part where he's saying that he partied with the greats and spent money on memorabilia - "but all that's done!" Well, I think it's fair to say he's not partying much with Gretzky anyhow. I wonder if people can get a good deal on the memorabilia he doesn't need any more?

Can I get this guys number or email? If he is done with the team over getting a vaccine that saves lives, maybe even his own, can I buy some of his memorabilia? If he's indeed been a ticket holder for 38 yrs and partied with the greats, I bet he has some kick ass stuff. I would gladly buy some for a discounted price since the team is dead to him now.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791464 is a reply to message #791450 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 August 2021 08:26

Just for future reference:

"You're" means you are. "Your" means belonging to you.

The only good nazi is a grammar nazi.

You mentioned this in your other reply to Gator

Quote:

Hey, not everyone who's poor is ignorant - so I think it makes sense that lots of people on welfare would still be pro-vaccination.

Of course it isn't 100% but I did see a study from the States with vaccine rates by education level and it was definitely higher among the educated.
There is definitely a Venn diagram intersection between low education/intelligence and the believing of the anti-vax theories.
The people in that intersection are also often the ones with poor grammar and love of comparing everything to Nazi Germany.

I have had the pleasure to spend time with people who were in Nazi Germany. Both in camps and fighting against the Nazi's. I wish they were still alive as I would bet my house they would not approve of the comparisons.

On the subject of the Oilers and the requirement. I am all for it. If it gets me back to live events, including Oilers games I am in.
If a bi-product is keeping some of the ignorant out of the stands as well that just seems like an added bonus.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791465 is a reply to message #791464 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 26 August 2021 14:11

Of course it isn't 100% but I did see a study from the States with vaccine rates by education level and it was definitely higher among the educated.
There is definitely a Venn diagram intersection between low education/intelligence and the believing of the anti-vax theories.

I don't think you're totally wrong, but I think we need to be a bit careful with correlation and causation here. Less educated people are also more likely to be working jobs that pay an hourly wage and don't provide paid sick time or paid time off to get the vaccine.

This isn't a scientific study, and it's from the US, but this survey found that almost 30% of unvaccinated people said they would be more likely to get the vaccine if their employer gave them paid time off to get it.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/how-employer-actions-could- facilitate-equity-in-covid-19-vaccinations/

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791469 is a reply to message #791465 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Thu, 26 August 2021 16:54

I don't think you're totally wrong, but I think we need to be a bit careful with correlation and causation here. Less educated people are also more likely to be working jobs that pay an hourly wage and don't provide paid sick time or paid time off to get the vaccine.

This isn't a scientific study, and it's from the US, but this survey found that almost 30% of unvaccinated people said they would be more likely to get the vaccine if their employer gave them paid time off to get it.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/how-employer-actions-could- facilitate-equity-in-covid-19-vaccinations/

I totally agree and I should have been more clear in separating the 2 points you quoted.

Not 100%; vaccinated simply because of high education

Definitely a correlation between willfully ignorant antivaxerrs and low intelligence.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791473 is a reply to message #791455 ]
Thu, 26 August 2021 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 26 August 2021 09:41

Gator21 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2021 19:46

Yes, you are a special kind of stupid. I was requested to remove this post due to the clear misinformation you're trying to spread here. Why not leave it and have it as your own personal hall of shame. Your post will not age well. Mine probably won't either.

And if you erased his post, we wouldn't have got your legendary reply :)

Do agree it has just enough over the top dumb in it that anyone with some capacity for rational thought would not take it seriously.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791476 is a reply to message #791465 ]
Fri, 27 August 2021 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Why is it the job of the employer to pay their staff to go get a shot? The US had vaccine WAY before us and had it available at way more places than we did. It took us awhile to get vaccine then a while to have the large clinics then at pharmacies. The US was doing that months before us. People in the US can't book an appointment after work or on a day off or a weekend? We had clinics going 7 days a week and it's not like the government told us when, we got to book our own time.

So in my opinion, blaming your employer for not paying for you to get a shot is just an easy excuse that someone might believe. All the crazy excuses got used up and debunked so they have to come up with one that others might buy. Unless you are working 7 days a week, 20 hours a day, if you put it as a priority, most people can find the 20 mins it takes. Book it in advance, plan for it.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791480 is a reply to message #791476 ]
Fri, 27 August 2021 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 August 2021 08:09

Why is it the job of the employer to pay their staff to go get a shot? The US had vaccine WAY before us and had it available at way more places than we did. It took us awhile to get vaccine then a while to have the large clinics then at pharmacies. The US was doing that months before us. People in the US can't book an appointment after work or on a day off or a weekend? We had clinics going 7 days a week and it's not like the government told us when, we got to book our own time.

So in my opinion, blaming your employer for not paying for you to get a shot is just an easy excuse that someone might believe. All the crazy excuses got used up and debunked so they have to come up with one that others might buy. Unless you are working 7 days a week, 20 hours a day, if you put it as a priority, most people can find the 20 mins it takes. Book it in advance, plan for it.

I think that is easier to say though when you're not living hand to mouth. If you're near the poverty line, then leaving for a couple hours to get a shot is not so simple. Some may be worried about geting fired if they take time away to go get the shot too.

And with the healthcare system in the US, they may not have the same options we have for getting the shot.

I think there's definitely people who'll look for any excuse, but I do think it's a legitimate concern. If you need every dollar and if your employer isn't at least flexible on this, then it could be an impediment.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791482 is a reply to message #791480 ]
Fri, 27 August 2021 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 August 2021 10:14

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 August 2021 08:09

I think that is easier to say though when you're not living hand to mouth. If you're near the poverty line, then leaving for a couple hours to get a shot is not so simple. Some may be worried about geting fired if they take time away to go get the shot too.

And with the healthcare system in the US, they may not have the same options we have for getting the shot.

I think there's definitely people who'll look for any excuse, but I do think it's a legitimate concern. If you need every dollar and if your employer isn't at least flexible on this, then it could be an impediment.

I wasn't saying take time away from work because I understand for some it would be hard to get time off or they can't afford too. What about after you are done work? Weekends, days you have off? I think most grocery stores in the states have a pharmacy in them so book a time when it's your grocery buying day. I assume these people have to go to a store at some point in a month.
I think here (RD) they were running the clinics from 8am to 8 pm for shots 7 days a week. My wife is not a nurse but an AHS worker so when the first clinics came out, there was a call to all AHS workers to pick up shifts. So she did some on a weekends and nights and they were going to 8pm.

The point is, if you make something a priority then most people will find away to do it. In my opinion, for anyone who is not dead set against getting it, if your plan is to get but to get it, every possible thing aligns perfectly in your life, then it won't ever happen because there is always going to be a reason not to do something unless you feel it's really important. If you think it's really important, people find a way.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791483 is a reply to message #791482 ]
Fri, 27 August 2021 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 27 August 2021 10:00

I wasn't saying take time away from work because I understand for some it would be hard to get time off or they can't afford too. What about after you are done work? Weekends, days you have off? I think most grocery stores in the states have a pharmacy in them so book a time when it's your grocery buying day. I assume these people have to go to a store at some point in a month.
I think here (RD) they were running the clinics from 8am to 8 pm for shots 7 days a week. My wife is not a nurse but an AHS worker so when the first clinics came out, there was a call to all AHS workers to pick up shifts. So she did some on a weekends and nights and they were going to 8pm.

The point is, if you make something a priority then most people will find away to do it. In my opinion, for anyone who is not dead set against getting it, if your plan is to get but to get it, every possible thing aligns perfectly in your life, then it won't ever happen because there is always going to be a reason not to do something unless you feel it's really important. If you think it's really important, people find a way.

I don't know, maybe there are people out there who have circumstances that are different than yours. There are definitely people that work multiple jobs and have to work 7 days a week, on top of having kids, etc. And maybe live in places that don't have as easy access to the vaccine that you had.

And yes, of course, I'm sure it's technically possible that they could still get a shot. But if you put up enough barriers then people just aren't going to prioritize it. You said it took you 20min to get your shot, easy peasy, right? Everyone should do it. But what if it wasn't 20min, what if it was 2 or 3 hours and you had to take 2 busses to get there? And you live in a town where the pharmacy closes at 6pm, so you need to book off work a couple hours early to get there and still have time to get to your kids daycare on time to pick them up. And now, because you had to take time off of work, you have to choose between getting the shot and paying your bus fare for the week because you're paycheque to paycheque and every dollar matters. Do you think that might impact your decision?

Or we can just assume that everyone that said they were more likely to get the shot if they were to get paid time off to do it is just lying I guess.

And even putting all of that aside, the business is benefitting from their employees being vaccinated in terms of less people having to take time off work because they're sick, and avoiding outbreaks that might impact their ability to operate or customer confidence. Personally, I think it's a good investment for the business to pay $40/employee or whatever to give employees a couple hours off to get the shot to greatly reduce the chance that they need to shutdown due to a Covid outbreak.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791490 is a reply to message #791483 ]
Fri, 27 August 2021 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 27 August 2021 11:23

I don't know, maybe there are people out there who have circumstances that are different than yours. There are definitely people that work multiple jobs and have to work 7 days a week, on top of having kids, etc. And maybe live in places that don't have as easy access to the vaccine that you had.

And yes, of course, I'm sure it's technically possible that they could still get a shot. But if you put up enough barriers then people just aren't going to prioritize it. You said it took you 20min to get your shot, easy peasy, right? Everyone should do it. But what if it wasn't 20min, what if it was 2 or 3 hours and you had to take 2 busses to get there? And you live in a town where the pharmacy closes at 6pm, so you need to book off work a couple hours early to get there and still have time to get to your kids daycare on time to pick them up. And now, because you had to take time off of work, you have to choose between getting the shot and paying your bus fare for the week because you're paycheque to paycheque and every dollar matters. Do you think that might impact your decision?

Or we can just assume that everyone that said they were more likely to get the shot if they were to get paid time off to do it is just lying I guess.

And even putting all of that aside, the business is benefitting from their employees being vaccinated in terms of less people having to take time off work because they're sick, and avoiding outbreaks that might impact their ability to operate or customer confidence. Personally, I think it's a good investment for the business to pay $40/employee or whatever to give employees a couple hours off to get the shot to greatly reduce the chance that they need to shutdown due to a Covid outbreak.

I think it's easy to assume people's situations are the same as ours, but the fact is that there's a pretty significant percentage of the population who really struggle to get by, and for whom something out of the ordinary is really a bigger challenge than for most of us in here. With some luck we'll never know that kind of struggle. I have some sympathy for people in that situation though, and I'll give them a bit of a pass. I do think Goose is right - there's a tangible benefit to employers to having their employees vaccinated, so find a way to swallow that cost to make it happen.

If your employer has ever had in-house flu shots, it's the same calculus they're making. They pay for the mobile clinic to come through and not worry about the disruption of having people all taking 15 minutes off for a shot over a couple days because if less people get sick that winter, it's a net benefit for the company.

It occurs to me that in the States, it's probably more likely you could get mobile COVID shot clinics to come in to your work place too.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791491 is a reply to message #791490 ]
Fri, 27 August 2021 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 August 2021 16:37

I think it's easy to assume people's situations are the same as ours, but the fact is that there's a pretty significant percentage of the population who really struggle to get by, and for whom something out of the ordinary is really a bigger challenge than for most of us in here. With some luck we'll never know that kind of struggle. I have some sympathy for people in that situation though, and I'll give them a bit of a pass. I do think Goose is right - there's a tangible benefit to employers to having their employees vaccinated, so find a way to swallow that cost to make it happen.

If your employer has ever had in-house flu shots, it's the same calculus they're making. They pay for the mobile clinic to come through and not worry about the disruption of having people all taking 15 minutes off for a shot over a couple days because if less people get sick that winter, it's a net benefit for the company.

It occurs to me that in the States, it's probably more likely you could get mobile COVID shot clinics to come in to your work place too.

Wonder if how it's so common to get rough symptoms from the COVID-19 vaccines makes this extra complicated. You get this vaccine, each dose you have a risk that you're gonna be taken out for 1-2 days with flu symptoms. And you have to do that 2 times.

1+ days of symptoms is rare with a flu shot, and no one really cared before about minor symptoms when you knew someone got a vaccine anyways. Until now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791493 is a reply to message #791491 ]
Fri, 27 August 2021 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 27 August 2021 16:56

Adam wrote on Fri, 27 August 2021 16:37

Wonder if how it's so common to get rough symptoms from the COVID-19 vaccines makes this extra complicated. You get this vaccine, each dose you have a risk that you're gonna be taken out for 1-2 days with flu symptoms. And you have to do that 2 times.

1+ days of symptoms is rare with a flu shot, and no one really cared before about minor symptoms when you knew someone got a vaccine anyways. Until now.

So true. I have an extremely minor sun allergy, and usually sneeze once when I go outside on a sunny day. I think babies do that, but most people grow out of it...No one ever cared about that before, but the dirty looks people give you now...I'm always worried I'm making myself a pariah any time I sneeze.

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791502 is a reply to message #791442 ]
Sun, 29 August 2021 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Hahahahaha... a triggered anti-vaxxer

Re: Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test [message #791503 is a reply to message #791441 ]
Sun, 29 August 2021 11:00 Go to previous message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Pfftttttt... you should go home and take some more courses from the preeminent Silly Clown University. You clearly have a well-developed ability to selectively read and hear. It's been made BEYOND CLEAR that the vaccines will not provide 100% immunity, however will lessen symptoms and reduce further transmissibility.

If you didn't get that message a year ago, or 10 months ago, or three weeks ago, for literally the one thousandth time... let me share it with you again. THEY DON'T MAKE YOU IMMUNE! THEY REDUCE THE LIKELIHOOD OF INFECTION, SEVERITY OF SYMPTOMS AND TRANSMISSIBILITY.

If you still haven't heard it yet, you should get your head checked.

Previous Topic:Oilers Rookie Camp Invitees 21-22
Next Topic:Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca