This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16)
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776016]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Montreal to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776018 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Great effort tonight, nice to see smith battle he deserved that shutout.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776019 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

At least 2-3 of those simple shots on goal would have found a way to sneak through Koskinen tonight. Smith was on point tonight. He gobbled up everything.

Not a huge Smith fan, but my confidence in him tonight was high.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776020 is a reply to message #776019 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 20:32

At least 2-3 of those simple shots on goal would have found a way to sneak through Koskinen tonight. Smith was on point tonight. He gobbled up everything.

I think Montreal's hot start was a bubble. I don't think they're that good a team. Not a lot of forwards there that scare me.

There's a lot of room to make some real noise in the North Division. There's one miserable team and several who are only meh...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776021 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Wasn't expecting that one! Had to work late tonight, so watched the game with the sound off, and it felt like the most complete game of the year. Got some luck, but generally played well. Kept the shooting lanes clear and let Smith do his thing.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776022 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

If Smith can play that calm 9 starts outta 10, he gives this team a great chance to win. Happy 40th Smitty!!

The haters will say he’s played Ottawa and then the Canadiens on the second of a back to back. But he’s looked rested (ha!) and dialed in.

Excited to get Jesse back next week *knock on wood*.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776024 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Mike Smith had maybe 2 bad games in the entire calendar year of 2020 but the fact that one was Game 1 of the play-in, it’s all everyone thinks about him. You guys should read some of the stuff you wrote about Smith even up until a few days ago. Meanwhile Koskinen doesn’t play much better the rest of series and it’s like oh well. The leash he has compared to Smith is unreal.

It’s just 2 games in and Smith obviously won’t be able to maintain these kind of numbers but he’s a good goalie and everyone makes fun of the whole locker room guy thing. It’s just odd seeing much smarter hockey people than myself have such a short memory.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776025 is a reply to message #776024 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 21:46

Mike Smith had maybe 2 bad games in the entire calendar year of 2020 but the fact that one was Game 1 of the play-in, it’s all everyone thinks about him. You guys should read some of the stuff you wrote about Smith even up until a few days ago. Meanwhile Koskinen doesn’t play much better the rest of series and it’s like oh well. The leash he has compared to Smith is unreal.

It’s just 2 games in and Smith obviously won’t be able to maintain these kind of numbers but he’s a good goalie and everyone makes fun of the whole locker room guy thing. It’s just odd seeing much smarter hockey people than myself have such a short memory.

My comments about him being what the room needs, is not me making fun of the locker room thing. I legitimately view that as a huge add from him and I truly think he’s the a in the tandem.

I think the age thing is played up a bit harshly. He is what he is. He isn’t going to be a multi year stop gap for the team, but for this season, I think I said it in his other starts thread that he could be exactly what this current version of the Oilers needs. And let’s face it, Koskinen isn’t a multi year savior either.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776026 is a reply to message #776018 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 19:32

Great effort tonight, nice to see smith battle he deserved that shutout.

I my books he's got two games, Two (2) shutouts.. shots on goal by your own D-men don't count!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776027 is a reply to message #776019 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 19:32

Thought the same thing, Smith is the new No.1 Goalie, ride this horse Tippet!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776028 is a reply to message #776027 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Pretty good effort. Good job by Smith. He was pretty “sticky” tonight, not much ch bouncing out.

Almost criminal for McDavid to leave without a point - he can create so much out of so little. One of the most exciting players to watch in the history of the NHL.

And whoever is counting shots in Montreal needs training and/or glasses. Those shot totals were hilarious after the 1st.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776029 is a reply to message #776025 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 20:51

My comments about him being what the room needs, is not me making fun of the locker room thing. I legitimately view that as a huge add from him and I truly think he’s the a in the tandem.

Oh that wasn’t directed at you at all, I remember your comment the other day and was glad it was posted because I recall seeing posts in a sarcastic way of what Mike Smith brings as a 38 year old goalie.

The goalie tandem was very solid last year but we think of 4 games played in 6 days, 4 months after the stoppage.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776030 is a reply to message #776028 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 22:02

Almost criminal for McDavid to leave without a point - he can create so much out of so little. One of the most exciting players to watch in the history of the NHL.

Chiasson needs to start capitalizing on open nets when he's down low during the PP....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776031 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Competent goaltending. Crisp passing particularly on zone exits and the neutral zone for most of the game. Zero big errors that I saw. The Oilers beat a pretty good team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776032 is a reply to message #776029 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 22:05

Oh that wasn’t directed at you at all, I remember your comment the other day and was glad it was posted because I recall seeing posts in a sarcastic way of what Mike Smith brings as a 38 year old goalie.

The goalie tandem was very solid last year but we think of 4 games played in 6 days, 4 months after the stoppage.

Oh, sorry! I had double the wine I had been drinking during games tonight as the wife wanted a glass with supper, so I indulged as well haha. Excuse my thinking it was sent my way.

You’re spot on. They performed well as a tandem last year with the plan Tipp and Co had for their starts. And I think we’ll see that again. The rest will help them both and Smith’s contributions as a motivator will continue to help those in front of him.

I know my best friend Adam isn’t a big fan, and Indo see his reasoning. But Smith has been a breath of fresh air for this team and you can’t discount the effect he has on the room. Well, you can, I guess. But you’re wrong if you do icon_biggrin

It’s 2 games, but I’m glad to see Smith back, he was pretty well on his game this time last season too. Here’s hoping it’s not a flash in the pan and he continues to play calm and consistent.

Ps. It probably helps having an actual defense in front of him and not Russell starfishing

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776033 is a reply to message #776030 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 22:07

Mike wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 22:02

Chiasson needs to start capitalizing on open nets when he's down low during the PP....

Or, really, he should cede his spot on the 4RW to Nygard for some speed on that line while Milan Neal, Yams and, when he’s back, young Yessa take that spot on the PP

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776034 is a reply to message #776028 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 21:02

Pretty good effort. Good job by Smith. He was pretty “sticky” tonight, not much ch bouncing out.

And whoever is counting shots in Montreal needs training and/or glasses. Those shot totals were hilarious after the 1st.

McD did get a point. He actually had 2 until the NHL took away the assists from the Nurse goal.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776036 is a reply to message #776024 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 20:46

You're inspiring me to start an early draft of a post to bash Smith when he finally has a bad game! :)

Kidding aside, great stuff by Smith. Double shutout if not for Larsson being such a sniper. Exactly what this team needed right now. Hope it lasts.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776037 is a reply to message #776032 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 21:18

Oh, sorry! I had double the wine I had been drinking during games tonight as the wife wanted a glass with supper, so I indulged as well haha. Excuse my thinking it was sent my way.

You’re spot on. They performed well as a tandem last year with the plan Tipp and Co had for their starts. And I think we’ll see that again. The rest will help them both and Smith’s contributions as a motivator will continue to help those in front of him.

I know my best friend Adam isn’t a big fan, and Indo see his reasoning. But Smith has been a breath of fresh air for this team and you can’t discount the effect he has on the room. Well, you can, I guess. But you’re wrong if you do icon_biggrin

It’s 2 games, but I’m glad to see Smith back, he was pretty well on his game this time last season too. Here’s hoping it’s not a flash in the pan and he continues to play calm and consistent.

Ps. It probably helps having an actual defense in front of him and not Russell starfishing

I'm happy for Smith. Nice of him to get another win, and a shutout to boot.

That said, just as I don't think Darnell Nurse is going to maintain his goal scoring pace, or that Jujhar Khaira's hot streak has shown that he's finally figured it out and is going to be a consistent contributor from here on out, I don't think we can expect Mike Smith to continue allowing 0-1 goals per game.

It isn't his one extremely bad playoff game against Chicago that I hold against him - although that was atrocious. His save percentage was .902 last year. It was .898 the year before. Those are not small sample sizes - that's over 79 appearances. He started 20 games in the 2020 portion of last season including that playoff game. In those games he was below .900 in eight of them and right on .900 twice more. We won five of those ten games despite his poor stats, so we outscored our problem half of the time. That's probably one of the reasons people don't remember him as bad as he was.

The first half of last season was even worse. 20 starts, 11 games under .900 and one more at .900. The big difference was that we didn't outscore the problem in that part of the season at all...we were 0-12 in when he was at or below .900.

It's not that I'm being mean to Mike Smith - it's just where he's at in his career. He's likely to have more bad games than good. We have a pretty dynamic team, so maybe we'll win sometimes even when he's bad, but we can't count on it, and going in to the playoffs thinking he can win you any rounds, never mind four rounds? That's just fooling yourself, no matter how well he played tonight.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776039 is a reply to message #776037 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 22:12

That said, just as I don't think Darnell Nurse is going to maintain his goal scoring pace, or that Jujhar Khaira's hot streak has shown that he's finally figured it out and is going to be a consistent contributor from here on out, I don't think we can expect Mike Smith to continue allowing 0-1 goals per game.

It isn't his one extremely bad playoff game against Chicago that I hold against him - although that was atrocious. His save percentage was .902 last year. It was .898 the year before. Those are not small sample sizes - that's over 79 appearances. He started 20 games in the 2020 portion of last season including that playoff game. In those games he was below .900 in eight of them and right on .900 twice more. We won five of those ten games despite his poor stats, so we outscored our problem half of the time. That's probably one of the reasons people don't remember him as bad as he was.

The first half of last season was even worse. 20 starts, 11 games under .900 and one more at .900. The big difference was that we didn't outscore the problem in that part of the season at all...we were 0-12 in when he was at or below .900.

It's not that I'm being mean to Mike Smith - it's just where he's at in his career. He's likely to have more bad games than good. We have a pretty dynamic team, so maybe we'll win sometimes even when he's bad, but we can't count on it, and going in to the playoffs thinking he can win you any rounds, never mind four rounds? That's just fooling yourself, no matter how well he played tonight.

Can certainly say though that this is out of the ordinary. This is what good teams get. Top guys are off or just unlucky, and other guys put the puck in the net for wins. This is the situation that continuously helps our team be no better than hovering around .500 or worse.

Now fingers crossed McDrai blow up for a few games and we put a little more space between us and .500.

Montreal appears to still be a very streaky team.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 February 2021 23:14]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776040 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So Pulju test was inconclusive (pizza), and then negative. Hopefully he's back soon.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776041 is a reply to message #776040 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Just caught up.

That was a solid win. Turris line looked shaky at times, but that’s not new. Khaira looked great again. Smith looked confident (I agree with Adam. He’s not our guy for a deep Cup run. Got too many KM’s on those tires). McDavid was flying and Neal should’ve buried 2. Draisaitl looked dominate, except that unreal hip check by Petry. Defence looked alright save for a couple times they got hemmed in, but still didn’t panic. I might be out to lunch, but I didn’t notice the snow angels tonight. Shots were from the outside. Great game.

I know our D is turning a corner, but how good would a guy like Petry look here? Not crying about the past, but he’d be our second tier #1 dman instantly.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776042 is a reply to message #776040 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 22:57

So Pulju test was inconclusive (pizza), and then negative. Hopefully he's back soon.

Yep. He’s just gaining some traction. He would’ve buried one of those Neal setups tonight. Koskinen needs to back soon. Not a fan, but I trust him more than Wells at this point.

On the bright side. Jesse has a contact tracing. His last time in town I’m not even sure if he had anyone, but the random guy who drove him to the airport.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 February 2021 23:20]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776044 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The Ennis - JJK - Archibald line is now the defacto 3rd line.. until Haas gets back then Turris will get likely bumped from center

Could see;

Put Turris on wing..
Ennis Khaira Archibald
(Neal/Nygard) Haas Turris

Sit Turris..
Ennis Khaira Archibald
(Neal/Nygard) Haas Chaisson

Eventually.. (when Kassian is back)
Ennis Khaira Archibald
Neal Haas Kassian

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776045 is a reply to message #776016 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Listened to Smith interview after the game.. it seems he spent a lot of time in the summer here in Vancouver working on his game with a local Goalie-Whisperer, making improvements.. his performance from these two games might actually be the real deal..
Mike Smith 2.0 baby!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe9ZBDJD32E2A8TUauyjum0UkhR6viAPHI-A&usqp=CAUhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj826WfyUBKGBFyIconOU9MogDxJkWH_terg&usqp=CAUhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdrFti_n3CPWVawRt9FEp8IN6ESMCb_iYfBA&usqp=CAUhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs0qvKHr0meLkOoRBb2R25c2Q4zcAviNA1jQ&usqp=CAU

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776049 is a reply to message #776045 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Thought that was our most complete effort of the season so far. Too bad we couldn't have played like that against Calgary.
Didn't like Neal on McDavid's line - looked like he was struggling to keep up. Hopefully Jesse can get back in there pretty quick.

Happy to see Smith close the SO

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776054 is a reply to message #776049 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 05:14

Thought that was our most complete effort of the season so far. Too bad we couldn't have played like that against Calgary.
Didn't like Neal on McDavid's line - looked like he was struggling to keep up. Hopefully Jesse can get back in there pretty quick.

Happy to see Smith close the SO

Was forced to watch the TSN feed, and boy did the commentators try to jinx the shut out. With 10 minutes to go they were talking about it, I know they were the home guys, but come on please.

We are far from being the best in the NHL, but the North Division is going to close up real soon and become the battle ground I think most of us expected. It's early days, but keep posting solid displays like this and who knows this thing of us being over .500 might be something that lasts the season. Enjoying the displays of the 3rd and 4th line over the past few games, they are being rewarded for the effort with good games and making a difference for a change. However, we can't expect them to keep it up, so we need Connor to get out of his slump and start scoring again..

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776055 is a reply to message #776037 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 22:12

Thanks Adam. We can always count on you to come in here and remind us how lousy some players can be at times. You even went into detail about Smith's stats after he posts a shutout because none of us are smart enough to know that he can't sustain a .985% .

Even gave us bonus material about Nurse not being able to sustain his what calculates out to be a 31 goal pace over 82 game season. Great stuff!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776056 is a reply to message #776045 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 01:28

Listened to Smith interview after the game.. it seems he spent a lot of time in the summer here in Vancouver working on his game with a local Goalie-Whisperer, making improvements.. his performance from these two games might actually be the real deal..
Mike Smith 2.0 baby!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe9ZBDJD32E2A8TUauyjum0UkhR6viAPHI-A&usqp=CAUhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj826WfyUBKGBFyIconOU9MogDxJkWH_terg&usqp=CAUhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdrFti_n3CPWVawRt9FEp8IN6ESMCb_iYfBA&usqp=CAUhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs0qvKHr0meLkOoRBb2R25c2Q4zcAviNA1jQ&usqp=CAU

These pics just prove to me that he, like me, should absolutely never shave right down to the grain.

I’m here for the Mike Smith revolution!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776057 is a reply to message #776054 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Good win for the team. This is 3 wins in a row where they won mostly on the back of players not named McDavid or Leon and where those 2 really didn't score or produce a lot. Those 2 combined have 5 pts in 3 games which for them isn't a lot. Anytime you can get wins without those 2 being a major factor, that in my opinion is found money.

Another really good game for Smith. Take out the goal where Larsson went bar down on him and that would be 2 shutouts in a row. I don't expect him to turn back the clock, I don't expect him to continue to put up these kind of numbers but if he can continue to be solid, good things can happen. I have said it before, the big thing it does in my opinion is help Koskinen. Gives him time off but most importantly, he needs a legit push to keep him sharp. I'd ride Smith for a bit. He's shown to be streaky in his later years and when he gets hot, it's red hot.

Khaira has never been my favorite player because I find him extremely frustrating due to his lack of consistency. He in my mind has all the tools to be an effective bottom 6 guy and do exactly like he's been doing, he just didn't do it on a regular basis. He's playing well, running hot especially offensively. His line as a whole is clicking. I don't expect the offense to keep going like it is because they are putting up points higher than I would expect a bottom 6 line to do but I don't see why a vet line like that can't keep doing all the other little things they are doing. The little things being skate hard, get in on the forecheck, keep things simple, don't be a complete gong show defensively and keep the momentum going when they are on the ice as the big boys get a breather. I hoped the switch has flipped for Khaira and the effort level stays for him. If he plays hard which there is no reason why he can't keep playing hard, there is a spot for him.

I am digging the offense from the defense. Nurse is on fire right now. Everything he shoots is going in. I don't expect it to continue but it's sure nice to see. I think Nurse has taken a step in his game.

Barrie has really started to round out his game and be what I was hoping. He's great on the PP and a legit weapon from the point now. Skates well, moves the puck well. Never going to be a shut down defender but as long as he's not a complete disaster defensively, he's effective.

Bouchard another solid game this time against a better team than Ottawa. He just produces offensive chances. Another rush that almost resulted in a goal. Keep playing him.

I have to say I wasn't expecting much from Lagesson, he barely played before this year so I wasn't sure he'd even play much at all this season. He's nothing flashy but he just gets it done. I could see him being this teams Larsson going forward if they move on from Larsson after this season which I think is maybe the right call. He might not be as nasty as Larsson but he's just a no nonsense, good defending, pucks get out, goals don't get scored much dman who skates a bit better and handles the puck a little better.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776063 is a reply to message #776055 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 08:21

Thanks Adam. We can always count on you to come in here and remind us how lousy some players can be at times. You even went into detail about Smith's stats after he posts a shutout because none of us are smart enough to know that he can't sustain a .985% .

Even gave us bonus material about Nurse not being able to sustain his what calculates out to be a 31 goal pace over 82 game season. Great stuff!!

I was responding specifically to someone asking why people have been negative on Smith and suggesting that it is based only on the fact that he had one really bad game in the playoffs - and pointing out that that isn't accurate.

I would appreciate if you could let me know just the right balance of realism versus sunshine and roses is appropriate. It would really help me out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776064 is a reply to message #776063 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 12:37

I was responding specifically to someone asking why people have been negative on Smith and suggesting that it is based only on the fact that he had one really bad game in the playoffs - and pointing out that that isn't accurate.

I would appreciate if you could let me know just the right balance of realism versus sunshine and roses is appropriate. It would really help me out.

The answer is... it won’t really matter Adam. You’re danged if you do and danged if you don’t.

Ps. I can’t wait for Puljujarvi and Kassian to come back so Chiasson can get punted to the taxi squad again

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776068 is a reply to message #776063 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 11:37

All good man. If me being happy my team won a game and giving a hat tip to the guys that helped make that happen in that game means I am sunshine and rainbows, then I guess that's what it is. Sport is supposed to be fun and enjoyable so I just never understood the point of focusing on the negative and basically waiting for something bad to happen. For some people that is their thing I guess. You call it realism so that means as a fan, we can't just enjoy success, we have to be sitting waiting for something bad to happen to be real?

I got 2 young kids in hockey. So next season when they have games and when one of them scores a goal, is it OK after the game to just slap them on the back and say "nice goal" or should I say "nice goal but you missed the net 3 times plus there was the 2 last game you missed and the 4 the game before". I wouldn't want to be too sunshine and rainbows after all.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2021 12:29]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776069 is a reply to message #776068 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 12:20

All good man. If me being happy my team won a game and giving a hat tip to the guys that helped make that happen in that game means I am sunshine and rainbows, then I guess that's what it is. Sport is supposed to be fun and enjoyable so I just never understood the point of focusing on the negative and basically waiting for something bad to happen. For some people that is their thing I guess. You call it realism so that means as a fan, we can't just enjoy success, we have to be sitting waiting for something bad to happen to be real?

I got 2 young kids in hockey. So next season when they have games and when one of them scores a goal, is it OK after the game to just slap them on the back and say "nice goal" or should I say "nice goal but you missed the net 3 times plus there was the 2 last game you missed and the 4 the game before". I wouldn't want to be too sunshine and rainbows after all.

If you want them to be truly great, you definitely have to point out the misses :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776070 is a reply to message #776068 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Nope. Enjoy the wins. I did. I said as much.

But if you're analyzing the team, you need to be realistic about where the holes are. And if someone wants to point to a single game or stretch and think it's changed who Mike Smith is, or who Jujhar Khaira is, then they're fooling themselves.

As I said, someone called out earlier takes on Mike Smith on the basis that he had a shutout last night. As someone who made those takes, I defended the stance. I'm sorry if you think I should only have pom poms (unless crapping on young players who haven't developed optimally).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776072 is a reply to message #776069 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 12:30

If you want them to be truly great, you definitely have to point out the misses :)

Haha - forgot to comment on this last part. I don't think kids' hockey has anything to do with the Oilers and I think your expectations should be wildly different.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776073 is a reply to message #776069 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If I employ the Adam way of thinking which is beat down a player for past bad deeds, I could either have 2 sons that despise me or future NHL superstars.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776075 is a reply to message #776073 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 12:40

If I employ the Adam way of thinking which is beat down a player for past bad deeds, I could either have 2 sons that despise me or future NHL superstars.

The problem for so many parents on the way to turning their kids into doctors and dentists and lawyers :) At some point you likely will need to make the call and pick 1 kid to focus all your energy on.

haha, ok, starting to get dark maybe. Maybe just letting kids have fun is actually the way to go :P

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776078 is a reply to message #776064 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 11:40

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 12:37

The answer is... it won’t really matter Adam. You’re danged if you do and danged if you don’t.

Ps. I can’t wait for Puljujarvi and Kassian to come back so Chiasson can get punted to the taxi squad again

icon_thumbsup icon_thumbsup

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16) [message #776081 is a reply to message #776075 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 13:14

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 February 2021 12:40

The problem for so many parents on the way to turning their kids into doctors and dentists and lawyers :) At some point you likely will need to make the call and pick 1 kid to focus all your energy on.

haha, ok, starting to get dark maybe. Maybe just letting kids have fun is actually the way to go :P

While I am extremely competitive, I think sports should be fun especially for kids so I try to keep the criticism of their game to a minimum. The primary focus for any comments on their game being on things they can control like their effort. So making sure to try their best in whatever they do. I think that is a good habit to have for any person.

I try to avoid beating them down about the mistakes they make, try to avoid bringing up past mistakes and point out how it's a pattern or who they are as a player.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2021 13:56]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #17)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #16)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca