This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers sign Russell to an extension
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766103]
Mon, 31 August 2020 10:05 Go to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Patrick, that is

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-sign-f-patrick-russell-to -one-year-extension-1.1517115

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766104 is a reply to message #766103 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am pretty meh about the signing. He's an extra forward. In my opinion, he doesn't really bring much to the team good or bad but he seems to be a safe guy that the coach can trust and know that if in a pinch, he can go out there and play hard and won't crush you. Maybe he can figure out how to chip in a few goals this year. At 700k, I think that is as cheap as you can physically pay a guy. I would have moved on to someone else personally but I guess the coach knows what he has so there is some value in that. He's protection from gifting a roster spot to a player who maybe should be on the farm which I am good with. If he gets beat out, you can send him down and that contract not count.

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766106 is a reply to message #766103 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I do not understand the deep abiding love that this organization has for all things Patrick Russell. He has played way more NHL games than I think he's deserved based on his play. Works hard...accomplishes nothing.

Over the last two years he has 51 GP, 0-5-5, -11, 11:06 per game, 73 hits, 64 shots on goal.

Big difference here is that it appears to be a one-way contract as opposed to the two-way deal he had last year (although that's sometimes the kind of detail CapFriendly doesn't have correct when contracts are first signed). He didn't spend a minute in the minors this year, but I wouldn't have bet on that happening again.

What I don't understand about this is that he's just below replacement grade for an NHLer. Virtually anyone else they sign would be better. I don't know why you give that player a one-way deal, because you should hope that he's NOT on your NHL roster. It speaks poorly to your player acquisitions if he is.

I hate this as a start of summer signing. I'd have been quite happy to see him let blow in the wind and sign him only if there was no one better to sign. Just feels like mailing it in.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766108 is a reply to message #766106 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 31 August 2020 10:28

I do not understand the deep abiding love that this organization has for all things Patrick Russell. He has played way more NHL games than I think he's deserved based on his play. Works hard...accomplishes nothing.

Over the last two years he has 51 GP, 0-5-5, -11, 11:06 per game, 73 hits, 64 shots on goal.

Big difference here is that it appears to be a one-way contract as opposed to the two-way deal he had last year (although that's sometimes the kind of detail CapFriendly doesn't have correct when contracts are first signed). He didn't spend a minute in the minors this year, but I wouldn't have bet on that happening again.

What I don't understand about this is that he's just below replacement grade for an NHLer. Virtually anyone else they sign would be better. I don't know why you give that player a one-way deal, because you should hope that he's NOT on your NHL roster. It speaks poorly to your player acquisitions if he is.

I hate this as a start of summer signing. I'd have been quite happy to see him let blow in the wind and sign him only if there was no one better to sign. Just feels like mailing it in.

That a boy Adam. Great sky is falling post already when the previous season isn't even over.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 August 2020 10:39]

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766110 is a reply to message #766108 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 August 2020 10:35

That a boy Adam. Great sky is falling post already when the previous season isn't even over.

Who said the sky is falling?

I just said it's not a great idea to re-sign a guy who's scored no goals in 51 games before you have any idea who better is available, committing a roster spot and NHL money to a guy who's been below mediocre for us.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766111 is a reply to message #766103 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

No details on money or whether its two-way, I hope its two way at league min.
His boots are slow, but he's solid and can fore check, just roster filler. Would not have missed him if they declined to give him a contract.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766112 is a reply to message #766103 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

who? :)

This news is really spreading fast!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/article-edmont on-oilers-sign-forward-patrick-russell-to-one-year-contract/

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766113 is a reply to message #766110 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 31 August 2020 10:43

I just said it's not a great idea to re-sign a guy who's scored no goals in 51 games before you have any idea who better is available, committing a roster spot and NHL money to a guy who's been below mediocre for us.

At 700K which I think is as low as you can get for NHL salary, does he crush you? No.
At 700K, does it hurt your team if he is just a pressbox guy? No.
Could you replace him for cheaper? I doubt it.
If he gets beat out, you can bury his complete contract in the minors which is good.
If he goes down to the minors, your minor coaches know him well so they can use him.
As an organization, you know he will work hard no matter where he is. You also know what kind of guy he is so there is no reason to worry about him sulking or being a bad influence or a negative presence if he gets sent down or doesn't play.
Ideally his spot is for a young player like Benson but if Benson isn't ready, you aren't forced to keep him up and you have a guy who you aren't worried about stunting his development if he ends up being a pressbox guy.

I agree with you in that he doesn't move the needle but at the same time there is value in having a guy you know very well, you know how to play him, you know how he interacts with the NHL and AHL team and you know how he will act. You could bring in a different guy and if things don't go as he expected, could be a nightmare to deal with. If you send him down, maybe he won't report. IF Russell is the only guy they bring in, then I am right there with you but I really doubt he will be.

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766115 is a reply to message #766103 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

meh... I'm with Adam with regards to the signing.

He gives us really nothing much and adds to our contract count. Although he's at the lowest of the low for pay, I am left to ask other than filler what does he really bring?

A whole lotta of nothing.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766117 is a reply to message #766113 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 August 2020 11:06

At 700K which I think is as low as you can get for NHL salary, does he crush you? No.
If he gets beat out, you can bury his complete contract in the minors which is good.
If he goes down to the minors, your minor coaches know him well so they can use him.
As an organization, you know he will work hard no matter where he is. You also know what kind of guy he is so there is no reason to worry about him sulking or being a bad influence or a negative presence if he gets sent down or doesn't play.
Ideally his spot is for a young player like Benson but if Benson isn't ready, you aren't forced to keep him up and you have a guy who you aren't worried about stunting his development if he ends up being a pressbox guy.

I agree with you in that he doesn't move the needle but at the same time there is value in having a guy you know very well, you know how to play him, you know how he interacts with the NHL and AHL team and you know how he will act. You could bring in a different guy and if things don't go as he expected, could be a nightmare to deal with. If you send him down, maybe he won't report. IF Russell is the only guy they bring in, then I am right there with you but I really doubt he will be.

Here's the thing. If you're 27 and not a good NHL player, then you're probably still not a good NHL player at 28. There's nothing else you need to learn about the guy. He isn't going to get better.

There's lots of players at league minimum salaries signed every year. Pretty much all of them are better than Patrick Russell. Of all the players in the league who played 45 games or more this year, there are only 5 skaters with less production than Russell's points and 515 who have more. Oh, and of the 5, three of them are defencemen.

So do I think it likely that the Oilers could find someone better for the money? Yes.

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766118 is a reply to message #766117 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 31 August 2020 12:03

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 August 2020 11:06

Here's the thing. If you're 27 and not a good NHL player, then you're probably still not a good NHL player at 28. There's nothing else you need to learn about the guy. He isn't going to get better.

There's lots of players at league minimum salaries signed every year. Pretty much all of them are better than Patrick Russell. Of all the players in the league who played 45 games or more this year, there are only 5 skaters with less production than Russell's points and 515 who have more. Oh, and of the 5, three of them are defencemen.

So do I think it likely that the Oilers could find someone better for the money? Yes.

I am not going to get bent out of shape or think its an organizational fail when the teams signs a guy they know to be the 13/14 forward. This guy will probably have to sit long stretches without playing, he will probably have to deal with young guys passing him, he will probably end up playing in the NHL and AHL. So while it might be nice to go out and roll the dice on a guy you have no clue about I do get and see some value in bringing in a guy to fill that role you know and who you know will accept the role and not cause issues. While maybe you could find a guy who might be better than Russell, you could also find a guy who while saying all the right things before you signed him just to get a job, then as soon as he's with the team after a short time, he's complaining about ice time, complaining about his role or if/when he gets demoted, he refuses to report the AHL.

When I think of a 13/14 forward, I think of a guy who probably won't play a lot in the NHL, could spend time in the minors, doesn't make waves about that and most importantly does not let that impact his effort. He's busting his ass whether he is in the line up or out of the line up every day. If you can guarantee that a replacement will do that, then absolutely they should have signed someone else for that role.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 August 2020 12:30]

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766122 is a reply to message #766103 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

I think it's very fair to question is Patrick Russell is a legitimate NHL player. I would suggest he is not, and I think stats of any sort would back that up.

If he is signed with the intention of playing in Bakersfield (because the cupboards are bare), fine. I don't care if he is making $7000 or $700000 if it doesn't have cap implications.

But I don't think that is the case. Tippett inexplicably plays this guy often and in my opinion, he hasn't done anything to really earn that playing time. So I think he is here to take up an NHL roster spot when there are countless better options out there. For example, I'd much rather have Sam Gagner back here than Patrick Russell. That's one example.

So if the Oilers signed him for the AHL, fine. It's one of their 50 contracts, but there are worse players on one of those 50 contracts... At least he could help in Bakersfield. But if the plan is for him to play in the NHL - and I think it is - in my opinion that has to do with blind love from Tippet that I just don't share. There's better options out there. A lot of them.

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766128 is a reply to message #766103 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Tippett found his Toby Petersen.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 August 2020 15:37]

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766131 is a reply to message #766122 ]
Mon, 31 August 2020 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 31 August 2020 13:09

I think it's very fair to question is Patrick Russell is a legitimate NHL player. I would suggest he is not, and I think stats of any sort would back that up.

If he is signed with the intention of playing in Bakersfield (because the cupboards are bare), fine. I don't care if he is making $7000 or $700000 if it doesn't have cap implications.

But I don't think that is the case. Tippett inexplicably plays this guy often and in my opinion, he hasn't done anything to really earn that playing time. So I think he is here to take up an NHL roster spot when there are countless better options out there. For example, I'd much rather have Sam Gagner back here than Patrick Russell. That's one example.

So if the Oilers signed him for the AHL, fine. It's one of their 50 contracts, but there are worse players on one of those 50 contracts... At least he could help in Bakersfield. But if the plan is for him to play in the NHL - and I think it is - in my opinion that has to do with blind love from Tippet that I just don't share. There's better options out there. A lot of them.

I'll go a step further. Even as an AHLer, this is a bad use of a contract space. If you look at the remainder of our minor league contracts, only Nygard is a similar age. Nygard had 9 points in 33 games, so objectively better than Russell. Better skater too.

While there's some tweeners under contract, since no one else inked for next year is as old, there's some hope they may yet develop. The Oilers have had a front row seat for Russell's career the last four seasons. In that time he's scored 84 points in 187 AHL games. That alone should tell you he's not an NHLer, even with out the extra 51 games of futility he's actually played in the big leagues.

I think he's a complete waste of a spot. I'm not losing sleep over Patrick Russell - but I don't want him on the team, because I think we could do better signing virtually anyone else.

On the bright side, he has a shot at JF Jacques record for most games from the start of an Oilers career without a goal. Jacques scored in his 55th game so just 4 more for Patrick and we have a new record holder!!!!

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766149 is a reply to message #766103 ]
Tue, 01 September 2020 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

If Russell scored 10-12 goals we wouldn't have had to play in the play-in round.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766150 is a reply to message #766149 ]
Tue, 01 September 2020 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 September 2020 12:00

If Russell scored 10-12 goals we wouldn't have had to play in the play-in round.

Absolutely true. He deserves another chance though.

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766309 is a reply to message #766104 ]
Fri, 04 September 2020 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

PLAN THE PARADE ALREADY

THIS TEAM IS READY

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #766310 is a reply to message #766118 ]
Fri, 04 September 2020 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

The last 15 years have generally been a giant organizational fail. It's easy to colour every decision made by the brass with that absurdly large paintbrush.

Re: Oilers sign Russell to an extension [message #767075 is a reply to message #766310 ]
Wed, 23 September 2020 20:43 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

And Patrick Russell is going to Denmark.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-loan-russell- to-rungsted-seier-capital/c-319160478

The 27-year-old winger, who signed a one-year contract extension on Aug. 31, recorded five assists in 45 games during the 2019-20 season and has played 51 total NHL games so far in his career.

The native of Holte, Denmark had a breakout season in the American Hockey League in 2018-19, scoring 18 goals and 22 assists in 51 games as a member of the Bakersfield Condors.

Previous Topic:Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay!
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca