This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731178 is a reply to message #731175 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 19:01

Im beginning to wonder whats being put in ol Bobbys water. Dude has no clue.
Slobby freakin Nicks to the rescue
doh

Probably just straight gin. Not sure what the water volume in a bottle of gin is. He can get around the smell of it saying he’s trying out a new pine scented cologne.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731180 is a reply to message #731159 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 15:49

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 14:30

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 16:05

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 16:23

Pretty solid interview here by CBC's Mark Connolly with Bobby Nicks.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/edmonton-am/segment/15671238

Some highlights:
- Nicholson went back to the idea that the expectations after the playoff run were just too high. Man, that's such a dumb excuse.
- Said Koskinen has played well the past few games. News to me.
-Nicholson said that Chia decided to use analytics, "some, but not as much". That makes sense, you don't build a tough, hard to play against team that can't score or defend using spreadsheets.
- Connolly called him out on the Chia hire and basically forced him to say it was a mistake and that their hiring process was garbage.
- Connolly asked him about empty seats and if that was a concern, and if his job was on the line.

I feel like we won't hear Nicholson doing a ton of interviews going forward here.

A couple of other points that concerned me:

1. When listing the good players the Oilers have he mentioned McDavid, Drai, and "a couple of defencemen." Poor Nuge just gets no love. REALLY hope management doesn't see him as expendable.

2. Said the grand total number of people interviewed for the GM position since Sather left was one. ONE!!! doh

1- Oh dear. Cap space here we come....... icon_dead

2- Tambellini? So they didn’t interview Lowe, MacT, or Chia? Holy cow.

1 - I'm scared. : (

2 - Does it really matter if they interview people if the people running the process have no idea what to look for (and what to avoid)?

So all the things we were screaming about here and getting called out by the Shoops of the world are totally flocking confirmed. The organization is stupid enough to hire a GM without due process - CHECK. The GM is responsible for taking the blame for stupid decisions made by committee- CHECK. Though the stats say the building is sold out, that may not exactly be true- CHECK. The team on the ice is not playoff worthy - CHECK.

And the Oilers execs JUST REALIZED THIS????

angryfire

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731183 is a reply to message #731180 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 19:18

nullterm wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 15:49

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 14:30

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 16:05

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 16:23

Some highlights:
- Nicholson went back to the idea that the expectations after the playoff run were just too high. Man, that's such a dumb excuse.
-Nicholson said that Chia decided to use analytics, "some, but not as much". That makes sense, you don't build a tough, hard to play against team that can't score or defend using spreadsheets.
- Connolly called him out on the Chia hire and basically forced him to say it was a mistake and that their hiring process was garbage.
- Connolly asked him about empty seats and if that was a concern, and if his job was on the line.

I feel like we won't hear Nicholson doing a ton of interviews going forward here.

A couple of other points that concerned me:

1. When listing the good players the Oilers have he mentioned McDavid, Drai, and "a couple of defencemen." Poor Nuge just gets no love. REALLY hope management doesn't see him as expendable.

2. Said the grand total number of people interviewed for the GM position since Sather left was one. ONE!!! doh

1- Oh dear. Cap space here we come....... icon_dead

2- Tambellini? So they didn’t interview Lowe, MacT, or Chia? Holy cow.

1 - I'm scared. : (

2 - Does it really matter if they interview people if the people running the process have no idea what to look for (and what to avoid)?

So all the things we were screaming about here and getting called out by the Shoops of the world are totally flocking confirmed. The organization is stupid enough to hire a GM without due process - CHECK. The GM is responsible for taking the blame for stupid decisions made by committee- CHECK. Though the stats say the building is sold out, that may not exactly be true- CHECK. The team on the ice is not playoff worthy - CHECK.

And the Oilers execs JUST REALIZED THIS????

angryfire

You forgot the part where they admit these facts yet do nothing to change their processes and procedures. Same old ‘we hired the best available for the job’. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat.

Ha. Shoop. Haven’t heard from that corksoaker in awhile.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731187 is a reply to message #731148 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 13:42

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 13:23

Some highlights:

It's funny how he sounds progressively dumber to me every time I hear him. Maybe this job is actually melting his brain and it's not just my perception.

Holy crap. Well my day is ruined now.

This simpleton needs to to go or nothing will change. I bet even the OBC are snickering at this guy behind his back. I said it after the last interview, but this guy sounds out of touch. It feels like he’s 3 turns behind the pack. Some old guy stuck in the middle lane on Henday with cars whizzing by both sides of him.

His positivity sounded so lame. Sounded like a door to door vacuum salesman.

Thank you Mr Connolly.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 February 2019 18:50]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731210 is a reply to message #731142 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 13:23

Some highlights:

Bahaha!

Yeah, if I was a card carrying OBC’er, I would be a little nervous when there’s a mic in front of old Bob.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731261 is a reply to message #731210 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Really solid beat down of Bob Nicholson by CBC interviewer.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731267 is a reply to message #731261 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

That was an uncomfortable listen. I can't believe it was the CBC, of all msm outlets, that went that hard at the Oilers. Now, why the CBC chose to go hard after that particular topic and literally nothing else happening in Canada is another question entirely.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731271 is a reply to message #731267 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 12:34

That was an uncomfortable listen. I can't believe it was the CBC, of all msm outlets, that went that hard at the Oilers. Now, why the CBC chose to go hard after that particular topic and literally nothing else happening in Canada is another question entirely.

The interviewer was applauded on twitter, and rightly so. Maybe next he’ll get to interview JT about pipelines and the western Canadian male workforce.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731273 is a reply to message #731271 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 11:04

The interviewer was applauded on twitter, and rightly so. Maybe next he’ll get to interview JT about pipelines and the western Canadian male workforce.

I listened to CBC radio every day at a previous job. I thought they did a pretty good job asking really tough questions no matter who they were talking to...politicians, scientists, professors, doctors etc.

The standard of journalism is MUCH higher than what the local sports reporters are used to.

"Is your job on the line?"...love it.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 February 2019 12:26]

Clean house or bust

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731274 is a reply to message #731271 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Lol - that interview was hilarious!

My favourite thing was how smooth and confident he sounded on the first question - just settling in for your standard Edmonton MSM interview...a few softball questions, blame the players, sell some BS about bad luck/injuries and playoffs next season and off to the wine bar!

By the end of the interview he is stuttering and spluttering on his words. You can almost hear him sweating, licking his lips and looking around the room nervously searching for the kill switch.

Also a highlight:

Q: "what have you learned about the NHL compared to Hockey Canada"
A: "uhhh...its longer"

How did KLowe not bring this guy in earlier? He fits perfectly with the culture.

1 GM interview. Seriously. Nice Job Kevin.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731278 is a reply to message #731273 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 12:24

I listened to CBC radio every day at a previous job. I thought they did a pretty good job asking really tough questions no matter who they were talking to...politicians, scientists, professors, doctors etc.

The standard of journalism is MUCH higher than what the local sports reporters are used to.

Loved how his answer was basically that he was safe because of his relationship with Katz. Classic!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731280 is a reply to message #731261 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Oh my. What a bumbling bafoon. Do they not have a PR guy they consult with before interviews? It's not that hard. Own the mistakes, take blanket responsibility for the problems and reassure that there is a process for improvement in place moving forward. Don't share more than you need to and don't just blame others. It makes the organization look worse. People tend to respect others when they take responsibility. It shows that they know and understand there is a problem, and their focus is on fixing it. Talking about how close they are to being good, and how great the farm system is, does not help. It's insulting to the paying customers that pay his salary. Nicholson is the type of guy that could speak to a large group of like-minded thinkers and come off as incredibly smart. He needs to drop the rosey colored approach, and grow a set. We can handle it, we're grown-ups, well some of us.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731282 is a reply to message #731278 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 12:19

Loved how his answer was basically that he was safe because of his relationship with Katz. Classic!

That was one of my favourite exchanges of the interview (paraphrased):

Quote:

Connolly: Is your job on the line?

Nicholson: You'd have to ask Daryl Katz about that.

Connolly: Can you make that happen, can you get him on the line?

Nicholson: *nervous laugh* No, probably not. Look, I have a great relationship with Daryl Katz.

Pretty much says it all. It's not about being good at your job or not, but whether the boss likes you.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731283 is a reply to message #731280 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 14:22

Oh my. What a bumbling bafoon. Do they not have a PR guy they consult with before interviews? It's not that hard. Own the mistakes, take blanket responsibility for the problems and reassure that there is a process for improvement in place moving forward. Don't share more than you need to and don't just blame others. It makes the organization look worse. People tend to respect others when they take responsibility. It shows that they know and understand there is a problem, and their focus is on fixing it. Talking about how close they are to being good, and how great the farm system is, does not help. It's insulting to the paying customers that pay his salary. Nicholson is the type of guy that could speak to a large group of like-minded thinkers and come off as incredibly smart. He needs to drop the rosey colored approach, and grow a set. We can handle it, we're grown-ups, well some of us.

Not sure Shoop could, likely why he flew the coop.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731317 is a reply to message #731283 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 13:29

Yeah, that one seems weird. Why did a possible concern troll show up for two seconds before chia was fired then disappear?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731337 is a reply to message #731317 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 17:04

Yeah, that one seems weird. Why did a possible concern troll show up for two seconds before chia was fired then disappear?

Peter Shooparelli.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731341 is a reply to message #731337 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 21:34

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 17:04

Peter Shooparelli.

lmao lmao lmao Wave Towel

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731345 is a reply to message #731278 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

That was hilarious and depressing at the same time.

Don’t have any emotional attachment to this team. Flat out, the guys running have no clue how to run a successful NHL hockey team.

Kudos to the CBC for not throwing softballs like the local Edmonton media does every time. That was straight up the real honest questions us as fan have had for a long time.

Especially the “how long til McDavid leaves?” which is inevitable given the current state of things and the direction going ahead which is easy to extrapolate based on past performance . That really rattled Bobby Nickburger.

Bad decision makers -> bad decisions -> bad team. Period.

And blaming the players for not being consistent completely glazes over the fact they expect an AHL roster to compete on a regular basis against legit NHL teams. Not happening, CEO Bobby.

Individual players aren’t the problem. They just don’t have enough NHL level players to expect to compete against the best in the world. If this was European football, we’d have been relegated down a tier or two for our own good.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 February 2019 22:04]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731346 is a reply to message #731345 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Maybe Bob should update his profile over at the Oilers website.

" Bob brings his exceptional skills as a motivator, team builder and leader to OEG, working closely with Chairman and owner Daryl Katz, overseeing all aspects of operations including expansion of the group's sports and entertainment offerings, delivering outstanding fan experiences, securing major new sponsorships and events, and operating Rogers Place, North America's leading sports and entertainment venue."

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/team/front-office

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731349 is a reply to message #731282 ]
Wed, 20 February 2019 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 20 February 2019 13:28

That was one of my favourite exchanges of the interview (paraphrased):

Quote:

Connolly: Is your job on the line?

Nicholson: You'd have to ask Daryl Katz about that.

Connolly: Can you make that happen, can you get him on the line?

Nicholson: *nervous laugh* No, probably not. Look, I have a great relationship with Daryl Katz.

Pretty much says it all. It's not about being good at your job or not, but whether the boss likes you.

Scariest part of the interview for me? When he says that he's been calling other GMs around the league to ask what he should be looking for in a GM. Do the Oilers not recognize that those aren't actually their buddies, but are competitors looking to make their team better and happy to see one less team they have to seriously compete with?

What insight does he actually think he's going to gain there? I love that he points out he hasn't interviewed anyone, but that he's got a lot of great knowledge about what he should be looking for from these conversations.

But then, this is a guy who believed that Chia was doing a good job because other GMs liked him...maybe he made the same rounds last year when he was deciding whether or not to fire Chia.

"You think he's doing a good job? That's Ray! Garth just said the same thing actually...I knew those online people were just being mean."

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731356 is a reply to message #731142 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 12:23

Some highlights:

Well, this was more entertaining than the team's performance on the ice!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731917 is a reply to message #731356 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

OMG!!! Stauffer on Hockey Central essentially blaming Chiarelli for not using the group's "former GMs" more than he did. Spent a lot of time proving that Lowe did things differently than Chiarelli ever did, so there's proof positive that Kevin is not involved. Crazy.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731918 is a reply to message #731917 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 10:24

OMG!!! Stauffer on Hockey Central essentially blaming Chiarelli for not using the group's "former GMs" more than he did. Spent a lot of time proving that Lowe did things differently than Chiarelli ever did, so there's proof positive that Kevin is not involved. Crazy.

Yup, this narrative is really being built on from all oilers media now. That Chia basically locked himself away in his office and did all this damage completely on his own. We probably all expected something like this to some degree. Too bad Chia probably signed a lifetime NDA as part of getting his job.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731919 is a reply to message #731918 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 10:28

Yup, this narrative is really being built on from all oilers media now. That Chia basically locked himself away in his office and did all this damage completely on his own. We probably all expected something like this to some degree. Too bad Chia probably signed a lifetime NDA as part of getting his job.

The important thing to realize is that Keith wasn’t involved in any of the major screw ups. Chiarelli was unhinged and wouldn’t take anyone’s advice. Of course he had a plan and Bob certainly believed in it at the time but he was also mad with power and wouldn’t listen to even his closest advisors.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731920 is a reply to message #731918 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 13:28

Gave the example how Chia just did Hall for Larsson straight up, but Lowe got +++ for Pronger, and one of those + was Eberle, so there ya go simpletons.

It's a full court press from the OBC - they started feeling the heat for the first time I think, so they're going all out to reinforce the idea that it was 100% Chia and McLellan and the roster's fault. Just please don't blame the OBC for anything bad.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731921 is a reply to message #731918 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 09:28

Not to mention, that if this narrative is in fact true, it sounds like Chiarelli was basically holding the franchise hostage, by keeping them all in the dark. If that's the case, why wasn't he fired after last season??? Mind boggling stupidity on so many levels. I really hope they get this right this spring summer and hire some people that can actually manage this team. FML.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731925 is a reply to message #731919 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 10:38

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 10:28

The important thing to realize is that Keith wasn’t involved in any of the major screw ups. Chiarelli was unhinged and wouldn’t take anyone’s advice. Of course he had a plan and Bob certainly believed in it at the time but he was also mad with power and wouldn’t listen to even his closest advisors.

Gagner trade was pure genius! Standing pat at deadline, serious show of poise and strength.

From now the until next GM is hired or until Gretzky is the permanent GM, nearly all of my posts are going to have a pro-Keith angle!

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731927 is a reply to message #731921 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 10:41

Not to mention, that if this narrative is in fact true, it sounds like Chiarelli was basically holding the franchise hostage, by keeping them all in the dark. If that's the case, why wasn't he fired after last season??? Mind boggling stupidity on so many levels. I really hope they get this right this spring summer and hire some people that can actually manage this team. FML.

The Koskinen deal was actually proof of this. He signed the deal and was fired. Clearly at that time, Keith Gretzky had seen enough, and decided to use his influence to sway the management team, that had given too much trust to Chiarelli, that Peter's tyrannical rein needed to come to an end.

No way Keith Gretzky was going to continue letting Peter Chiarelli ruin his beloved team. Also Keith kind of looks like both Ryan Smyth and Wayne Gretzky.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 February 2019 11:00]

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731928 is a reply to message #731927 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 10:58

jds308 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 10:41

The Koskinen deal was actually proof of this. He signed the deal and was fired. Clearly at that time, Keith Gretzky had seen enough, and decided to use his influence to sway the management team, that had given too much trust to Chiarelli, that Peter's tyrannical rein needed to come to an end.

No way Keith Gretzky was going to continue letting Peter Chiarelli ruin his beloved team. Also Keith kind of looks like both Ryan Smyth and Wayne Gretzky.

That was a weird week.

Unnecessary Koskinen signing at high dollar. Fired less than 36(?) hours later. Then it get weirder the following day when Nicholson claims the management group were in on the signing.

I really have no idea what’s true regarding Pete and the OEG. Here’s a question. Let’s say Nicholson fired Chiarelli December 1st. Would Manning and Petrovic be on the roster right now? Would Koskinen be signed at 4.5 x 4?

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731930 is a reply to message #731928 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Chia was just a lone wolf who couldn't be controlled!

Oilers fans should just be thankful that the former GMs were able to finally wrestle him to the ground and banish him from Alberta. It could have been so much worse if not for these heroes!

They really think people are dumb enough to buy this drivel. And the worst part is that a pretty staggering number of people obviously do.

...but keep giving them your money.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731936 is a reply to message #731930 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ok, I'm not suggesting which is true but I would ask what scenario is worse?

A company giving a manager carte blanche to run an entire portion of the business, while being allowed to operate in isolation, essentially going rogue on the OBC and after significantly damaging and devaluing the product, still allowed to continue to make decisions in that manner?

or

A company hiring a manager to be the face and fall guy for the OBC? Likely a contributor to decision making, but ultimately part of a bigger conglomerate with less authority?

Both are completely assinine ways to run a business, but I would suggest the first is actually worse and an indication of much bigger problems way higher up the Chiarelli. To me this narrative Stauffer and others are pushing does not make the franchise look better but in fact the opposite.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #731943 is a reply to message #731936 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 13:46

Ok, I'm not suggesting which is true but I would ask what scenario is worse?

A company giving a manager carte blanche to run an entire portion of the business, while being allowed to operate in isolation, essentially going rogue on the OBC and after significantly damaging and devaluing the product, still allowed to continue to make decisions in that manner?

or

A company hiring a manager to be the face and fall guy for the OBC? Likely a contributor to decision making, but ultimately part of a bigger conglomerate with less authority?

Both are completely assinine ways to run a business, but I would suggest the first is actually worse and an indication of much bigger problems way higher up the Chiarelli. To me this narrative Stauffer and others are pushing does not make the franchise look better but in fact the opposite.

It's basically the "we would have picked Erickson-Ek" argument all over again.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733708 is a reply to message #728856 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Nicholson made a comment at the season ticket holders meeting about Rieder. Something along the lines that if he scored 15 goals this year we'd likely be a playoff team.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/03/21/report-its-tobias-rieder s-fault-that-the-oilers-arent-a-playoff-team/

Quote:

The really frustrating thing here, though, is how it so clearly indicates that the organization is completely lost. Year after year, it comes down to blame the players. No, not the general manager who put the flawed roster together or the guy at the top who hired that general manager and gave him the green light to make terrible decisions, but the marginal depth players. Man, if this place wasn’t already a tough sell for potential free agents, this comment certainly cemented it.

We’re supposed to trust this guy to lead the ship? This is who’s selecting the next general manager? This is who’s going to surround that general manager with the best staff possible to drag the Oilers out of the mess his last hire created? This is supposed to invoke enough faith in season ticket holders to shell out tens of thousands of dollars to support the Oilers?

[Updated on: Thu, 21 March 2019 12:59]

Clean house or bust

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733712 is a reply to message #733708 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 12:57

Nicholson made a comment at the season ticket holders meeting about Rieder. Something along the lines that if he scored 15 goals this year we'd likely be a playoff team.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/03/21/report-its-tobias-rieder s-fault-that-the-oilers-arent-a-playoff-team/

Quote:

The really frustrating thing here, though, is how it so clearly indicates that the organization is completely lost. Year after year, it comes down to blame the players. No, not the general manager who put the flawed roster together or the guy at the top who hired that general manager and gave him the green light to make terrible decisions, but the marginal depth players. Man, if this place wasn’t already a tough sell for potential free agents, this comment certainly cemented it.

We’re supposed to trust this guy to lead the ship? This is who’s selecting the next general manager? This is who’s going to surround that general manager with the best staff possible to drag the Oilers out of the mess his last hire created? This is supposed to invoke enough faith in season ticket holders to shell out tens of thousands of dollars to support the Oilers?

knew it! Freakin Rieder!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733713 is a reply to message #733708 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Quote:

Blaming a current player for missing the playoffs and then doubling down and saying they wont be signing him? Sloppy Nicks has gone full oiler.
Im sure kicking a player while he's down, tossing him under the bus and running over the poor dude over and over will go over GREAT in the dressing room...

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733717 is a reply to message #733712 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 13:07

Quote:

knew it! Freakin Rieder!

All this team needed was 15 more goals?!?! Mercy. This is the guy that we're trusting to hire the next GM.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733721 is a reply to message #733717 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 13:15

Quote:

knew it! Freakin Rieder!

All this team needed was 15 more goals?!?! Mercy. This is the guy that we're trusting to hire the next GM.

Hey, if they were all Game Winners, we are locked in to a playoff spot right now!

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733726 is a reply to message #733721 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 13:33

Quote:

knew it! Freakin Rieder!

Hey, if they were all Game Winners, we are locked in to a playoff spot right now!

Yep, 15 more goals would get them all the way up to 218, good enough for a tie for 15th. Right in the middle of the pack where a team with thebest offensive player in the league a sshould be.

What a joke. Any mention of a player in these things should be cause for termination of Bobby.

I have usually been entertained in a dark humor kind of way with this teams handling of things but this is out of hand.

Why anyone would want to play in Edm is beyond me.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733734 is a reply to message #733726 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 14:18

Quote:

knew it! Freakin Rieder!

Yep, 15 more goals would get them all the way up to 218, good enough for a tie for 15th. Right in the middle of the pack where a team with thebest offensive player in the league a sshould be.

What a joke. Any mention of a player in these things should be cause for termination of Bobby.

I have usually been entertained in a dark humor kind of way with this teams handling of things but this is out of hand.

I heard Tobias had the final say on every trade this year.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733735 is a reply to message #733734 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 16:06

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 14:18

Quote:

knew it! Freakin Rieder!

I heard Tobias had the final say on every trade this year.

And we thought we knew who the shadow GM was.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Jujhar Khaira extension - 2 years 1.2M AAV
Next Topic:Yep, Talbot for Stolarz
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca