This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733827 is a reply to message #733825 ]
Fri, 22 March 2019 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 13:05

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 13:02

nullterm wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 12:42

TSNRyanRishaug - Rieder “you kind of can’t believe it. I feel like it’s disappointing and I’m offended by it. I’m the first one to admit I haven’t had a good year....”

Rieder “it went a little too far and Bob knows that... I thought the timing was a bit weird, we’re still fighting for the playoffs... I’m still going to do my best...”

Rieder on teammates “we talked before the game and they don’t think it was right either.. it’s good to know they have my back..”

Adds that he accepts Nicholson’s apology

Atleast we know why we have such a hard time with free agents. How classless our leadership is towards everyone else.

He's a dude destined for positive regression next season... arguably could have extended him cheaper than his current 2M. But. Nope. Thanks Bob.

Question 1 for every GM/POHO candidate interview:

1) Would you sign Tody Rieder again next season for any price?

If yes, Nicholson spits in their face and leaves.

Lone survivor of the 10-12 interviews is....*drumroll*....Keith Gretzky!

I mean, he IS the reason we're not in the a playoff position. That's probably a fair start to any interview.

boom

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733830 is a reply to message #733803 ]
Fri, 22 March 2019 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

We will not be signing him.... okay I guess the new GM won't make that decision
Maybe the decision was made by the new GM who is non other than KG waiting in the wings for the big announcement? Wouldn't surprise me. The whole thing stinks and I think the man should just do the right thing and resign. As much as we all have been critical of Reider as fans this goes beyond what is acceptable. We don't need management's help when it comes to trashing players.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733835 is a reply to message #733815 ]
Fri, 22 March 2019 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 11:05

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 09:48

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 09:45

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 09:35

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 09:32

Also lost in this is they expected Toby Rieder to have 15 goals, but I highly doubt they expected Chiasson to have 20. Kind of a wash isn't it?

I wonder if they expected Drai to be pushing 50.

Simple math on this stuff.

Good stuff that happened = credit to management for smart decisions

Bad stuff that happened = players under-performing and ruining the season

I can't argue with math. The math is always right. Maybe they are getting into analytics.

There are so many amazing things about Burgers statement its hard to know what the best part is.

Underrated I think is how perfectly Oilers it is to start out by saying "Well other teams wanted him to!"

They do this whenever one of their moves blows up in their faces. Which is always.

Like what is the point of this? How do they know this? Is it because they follow Bob Mac or Darren Dregger on Twitter? (reminds me of the screenshot from Oil Change with Tambo doing his highly technical research at capgeek).

Or is it because the players agent told them this and SOP is to urinate themselves and unload the brinks truck?

Or maybe it's all part of Nicholsons brilliant strategy of asking other teams what they would do in his position and blindly following their advice.

Any way you look at it this organization is full of buffoons. I think we can all agree on that.

Maybe the Oilers take the same approach to free agency that they do to GM Job Hunting - ask other teams who they think the Oilers should be targeting...

I do think there’s been times when management decisions have been made based on what the Useless Edmonton media has been saying they think the Oilers need...I think Larsson was part of that - they were asking the Lilers mgmt repeatedly about a high end right shot d-man so what else could the Oilers do?

Speaking of the media, interesting to see them all bending over backwards to forgive and forget this “one-off mistake” from Nicholson...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733856 is a reply to message #733835 ]
Fri, 22 March 2019 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 15:37

Jay wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 11:05

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 09:48

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 09:45

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 09:35

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 09:32

Also lost in this is they expected Toby Rieder to have 15 goals, but I highly doubt they expected Chiasson to have 20. Kind of a wash isn't it?

I wonder if they expected Drai to be pushing 50.

Simple math on this stuff.

Good stuff that happened = credit to management for smart decisions

Bad stuff that happened = players under-performing and ruining the season

I can't argue with math. The math is always right. Maybe they are getting into analytics.

There are so many amazing things about Burgers statement its hard to know what the best part is.

Underrated I think is how perfectly Oilers it is to start out by saying "Well other teams wanted him to!"

They do this whenever one of their moves blows up in their faces. Which is always.

Like what is the point of this? How do they know this? Is it because they follow Bob Mac or Darren Dregger on Twitter? (reminds me of the screenshot from Oil Change with Tambo doing his highly technical research at capgeek).

Or is it because the players agent told them this and SOP is to urinate themselves and unload the brinks truck?

Or maybe it's all part of Nicholsons brilliant strategy of asking other teams what they would do in his position and blindly following their advice.

Any way you look at it this organization is full of buffoons. I think we can all agree on that.

Maybe the Oilers take the same approach to free agency that they do to GM Job Hunting - ask other teams who they think the Oilers should be targeting...

I do think there’s been times when management decisions have been made based on what the Useless Edmonton media has been saying they think the Oilers need...I think Larsson was part of that - they were asking the Lilers mgmt repeatedly about a high end right shot d-man so what else could the Oilers do?

Speaking of the media, interesting to see them all bending over backwards to forgive and forget this “one-off mistake” from Nicholson...

I think you have the tail wagging the dog here. The Oilers use the media to sell their vision to the Franks minded public. The media hasn’t had an original thought in as long as I’ve been paying attention.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733857 is a reply to message #733708 ]
Fri, 22 March 2019 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Just to add my two cents: I think what is lost in all this is that our far and away second best player; Leon Draisaitl, is good friends and shares nationality/language with the guy the boss just scapegoated. Also our franchise player; Connor McDavid, has chemistry with Leon. Why would you even think to risk pissing off Leon and risk taking away the one thing this organization has?

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733860 is a reply to message #733857 ]
Fri, 22 March 2019 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 17:31

Just to add my two cents: I think what is lost in all this is that our far and away second best player; Leon Draisaitl, is good friends and shares nationality/language with the guy the boss just scapegoated. Also our franchise player; Connor McDavid, has chemistry with Leon. Why would you even think to risk pissing off Leon and risk taking away the one thing this organization has?

Because they never think 2 or 3 or 4 steps ahead. Which is why we're in the pickle that we are.

For example, signing Lucic to a long contract just to show other UFAs we can get the most sought after player so others will come too.

For example, trading away good players because we have a rookie in the system that they think they can do the job for cheaper.

For example, re-signing a still unproven goalie to a starter contract.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733874 is a reply to message #733860 ]
Fri, 22 March 2019 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 19:11

For example, trading away good players because we have a rookie in the system that they think they can do the job for cheaper.

This isn't necessarily a bad idea as long as the GM is good at gauging talent. Stan Bowman has been doing this for years with the Hawks, and they managed to keep winning Cups. Granted, he never #@@$ed with the core of Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, and Crawford during most of that time.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733876 is a reply to message #733874 ]
Fri, 22 March 2019 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 20:35

This isn't necessarily a bad idea as long as the GM is good at gauging talent. Stan Bowman has been doing this for years with the Hawks, and they managed to keep winning Cups. Granted, he never #@@$ed with the core of Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, and Crawford during most of that time.

They clearly can’t judge talent though. Nor do they wait until the rookie has had a time in the AHL to mature and enough NHL time to prove they can replace the guy ahead of them. Even if they can’t properly scout their own players to project them, they should be patient to see what they are in NHL games. That’s something anyone with half a brain can do.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733886 is a reply to message #733874 ]
Sat, 23 March 2019 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 21:35

It caught up to the Blackhawks though.

They've still done a decent job with player acquisition from outside the NHL (Panarin, DeBrincat), but on the actual NHL trade front, Bowman's struggled. The first Saad trade wasn't very good - Columbus got the best player and no one else really made a great impact (although to be fair, they still have Anisimov), and then in the Panarin trade, well, that was a disaster. It's hard to believe that the Blackhawks - knowing both players well - actually believed that was a fair deal...you have to think that they believed Kane was responsible for Panarin's numbers...which has turned out not to be so.

There's a pretty good argument to be made that if Bowman had decided he could let someone like Seabrook go, then they'd have been in a better position to keep Panarin and still have someone like DeBrincat on the roster giving them a couple of pretty solid lines.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733887 is a reply to message #733876 ]
Sat, 23 March 2019 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 23:20

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 20:35

They clearly can’t judge talent though. Nor do they wait until the rookie has had a time in the AHL to mature and enough NHL time to prove they can replace the guy ahead of them. Even if they can’t properly scout their own players to project them, they should be patient to see what they are in NHL games. That’s something anyone with half a brain can do.

Not to mention, you don't win with a single good puck-moving defenceman, and yet we've seen that logic again and again...we have Gilbert, so we don't really need Souray anyhow. Hey - Petry's had 20 really good games...let's swap Gilbert for a slow defensive guy with no offence! You know what, the last 25 games it looks like Klefbom might be able to be an impact guy at the NHL level, so who needs Jeff Petry!

I still think it's just dumb luck that Klefbom had surgery last year or he would have been dealt too and we'd have heard the logic that Bear looked pretty good in some of his recall...

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #733908 is a reply to message #733886 ]
Sat, 23 March 2019 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 23 March 2019 08:31

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 22 March 2019 21:35

It caught up to the Blackhawks though.

They've still done a decent job with player acquisition from outside the NHL (Panarin, DeBrincat), but on the actual NHL trade front, Bowman's struggled. The first Saad trade wasn't very good - Columbus got the best player and no one else really made a great impact (although to be fair, they still have Anisimov), and then in the Panarin trade, well, that was a disaster. It's hard to believe that the Blackhawks - knowing both players well - actually believed that was a fair deal...you have to think that they believed Kane was responsible for Panarin's numbers...which has turned out not to be so.

There's a pretty good argument to be made that if Bowman had decided he could let someone like Seabrook go, then they'd have been in a better position to keep Panarin and still have someone like DeBrincat on the roster giving them a couple of pretty solid lines.

Of course it caught up to the Hawks, but they still have 3 Cups to show for it. The Oil tried the same approach without having anyone who had the slightest inkling on how to evaluate player talent, and now it's caught up to them after a failure to achieve anything other than 1 trip to the playoffs. God, this is painful.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Post-Chiarelli Oilers Media Blasts [message #739657 is a reply to message #728856 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 19:18 Go to previous message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

https://twitter.com/nhlbymatty/status/1145494981659856896?s= 21

The replies are great. Somebody should start stockpiling all the pro-Holland articles now.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:Jujhar Khaira extension - 2 years 1.2M AAV
Next Topic:Yep, Talbot for Stolarz
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca