This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson
Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726513 is a reply to message #726476 ]
Fri, 04 January 2019 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 04 January 2019 00:48

Which I must add is still more production then 80 % of the players Chia pet brought in

Imagine that. A forward outscores defencemen and goalies. confused2

Send a private message to this user  

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726515 is a reply to message #726513 ]
Fri, 04 January 2019 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Fri, 04 January 2019 17:52

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 04 January 2019 00:48

Which I must add is still more production then 80 % of the players Chia pet brought in

Imagine that. A forward outscores defencemen and goalies. confused2

"Wingers are easier to find." - Peter Chiarelli, April 10th, 2018

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/pe ter-chiarelli-does-not-intend-to-traded-ryan-nugent-hopkins
https://oilersnation.com/2018/04/11/peter-chiarelli-talks-di sappointing-2017-18-season/

Also:

"I think we have wingers. I think our scoring was adequate this year so I'll disagree with that."

And my personal favourite:

"Did we overproject on a couple of guys? Maybe. Part of what we're trying to accomplish here is to get every age group of players to progress."

That OilersNation article is a pretty amazing read in retrospect. This is the GM saying that the winger group they had last year was good enough. Since then they gave away Aberg and Slepyshev for nothing and Caggiula for a defenceman who might be a healthy scratch after two games. They didn't re-sign Mike Cammalleri. They dealt Ryan Strome for Spooner, and they'd already lost Maroon.

Rieder was their big summer signing on the wing, and Chiasson was their after-thought at the beginning of the season. Chiasson was coming off an 18 point campaign, while Rieder had 25 points last season. After that, they had:

Lucic - 34 points
Khaira - 21
Puljujarvi - 20
Kassian - 19
Rattie - 9
Yamamoto - 3

What exactly was the game plan on depth scoring?! Did the Oilers simply believe a couple of 20 year olds were suddenly going to be 40 point players and that Lucic was magically going to bounce back?

[Updated on: Fri, 04 January 2019 18:27]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726516 is a reply to message #726515 ]
Fri, 04 January 2019 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 04 January 2019 17:24

Did the Oilers simply believe a couple of 20 year olds were suddenly going to be 40 point players and that Lucic was magically going to bounce back?

Well, yes, that's exactly what they thought. That and that Rattie was going to magically become a 30 goal scorer based on a 14 game sample.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726518 is a reply to message #726516 ]
Fri, 04 January 2019 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Not to buck the trend but there is one aspect that I have not seen on this forum. Very simply the other GMs wanting Edmonton to fail. I am in no position to tell the depths of this trend but it appears that this has been happening for many years. The last really good trade Edmonton got was Pronger. Beyond that trade all we hear is, every detail of missed trades, which likely fuels my point, how Edmonton offered more for X player but lost out to X team. Or X player refused to waive their No Trade to come here.
I think the management culture, say in the Souray situation, plays a huge part in it. Captain Ego, 6 rings, did it with Comrie. Ron Hextall even bashed Edmonton when he was hired.
I think the NHL GMs/ Owners have no sympathy for a team that was gifted a generation talent and take advantage of the OBC at every opportunity.
In my opinion when Todd M was let go, it was really telling the interview with Chia as he agonized over the decision but made it sound like he did it on his own.
So is Chia a bad GM, who knows as we are not privy to what decisions he gets to make and which ones he is told to make. He gets blamed for everything, I believe Keith G does contracts, but he is the face.
I believe he will be let go, mainly because his big gambles crashed so spectacularly. No one could have seen Lucic falling off a cliff like he did. My opinion on secondary scoring is that Todd M did not work with bottom six forwards to help their game progress. Even people with proven history like Reider have disappeared.
I am optimistic about Hitchcock teaching the team and making better players. I am not optimistic about a change in GM making a difference without a OBC house cleaning.
So here is to squeaking into the playoffs and winning round,
Wave Towel What else do I have to cheer for?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726521 is a reply to message #726518 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

Well said ^

I feel the same. I think other GM's aren't forced all the time to make panic moves like this team has. Teams seem to do ok in their trades, as we maybe just see a sample size of most of the players involved and compare it to what we think we have on ice. Truth is Oilers need a new top gun in the gm chair. Ideally, a younger swift thinking guy who can make subtle moves with maximum gain. We need to stop chasing yesterday s successful players(Reider,Lucic,Belenger..on and on...), and try to groom our own. Problem is we re always in this same situation, not enough here, calling up guys asking them to do more then they're ready for...and the end result stays the same. Connor's here for the long haul. But hopefully it won't take the majority of his contract to get it together. I think it starts this off season, when the team finally finishes this season, and a new GM can be hired and the whole thing can be re re evaluated. I'd like to see Bob, Pete, and anyone else brought in in the last 7 years to fix this mess let go, and sent to pasture. Revamp the whole thing, and get on it already. Move some of these colossal useless contracts, and start getting quality cheaper guys who want to perform. Man I hope there is hope in Oil country. As a 36 year fan....if something doesn't happen soon, what's the point?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726523 is a reply to message #726518 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Iamheretoday wrote on Fri, 04 January 2019 21:36

No one could have seen Lucic falling off a cliff like he did.

"Given Lucic’s stature as a free agent, he will command term—in all likelihood, somewhere between 5-7 years. His performance is dipping already, in his late-20’s, so where is he going to be at 31 or 33 or 35 (which is when a seven-year deal would end)?

<snip>

This is a team centered on Connor McDavid, and attaching a player with Lucic’s likely career curve to a roster built around McDavid’s would be a mistake. Additionally, there’s no need; as colleague McCurdy noted in his piece left wing is probably the Oilers’ position of greatest depth."

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /cult-of-hockey-the-best-case-scenario-for-the-oilers-and-ca nucks-would-see-milan-lucic-re-sign-with-the-kings

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726527 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/82553514/other-teams -arent-looking-to-help-you.jpg

That's a bad quote, especially after we just helped Chicago get out from that Manning contract they were desperate to shed.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726529 is a reply to message #726523 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=44745&pr evloaded=1&rid=5503&SQ=5f8b72526b3753de06008a8282681 ba8&start=0

Somebody predicted Lucic’s drop off

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726531 is a reply to message #726529 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 05 January 2019 13:29

http://oilfans.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=44745&pr evloaded=1&rid=5503&SQ=5f8b72526b3753de06008a8282681 ba8&start=0

Nope. No one could know. Witchcraft.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726535 is a reply to message #726529 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 05 January 2019 13:29

What a brutal UFA year that was. I think teams tossed money at all of Lucic, Erikson, Backes, Okposo, Ladd. So many bodies at the bottom of that cliff.

I was a bit optimistic early in the 15/16 season about Lucic (although my first comment Adam posted was done to promote the fear people had of getting him :) ), he did play OK for LA. But after I actually watched him in the playoffs for LA, he looked terrible. Thought we could be getting a good cycle guy with hands around the net. NOPE! Guy has zero stick skills and is almost completely dependent on the rush with lots of open ice to get points.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 January 2019 15:23]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726539 is a reply to message #726467 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 January 2019 14:58

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 03 January 2019 13:13

Xombie wrote on Thu, 03 January 2019 12:22

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 18:48

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 20:40

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 19:38

From Friedman’s latest 31 thoughts;

10. Three of the players involved in Edmonton’s two Sunday trades — Brandon Manning, Alex Petrovic and Chris Wideman — were subjects of recent emails on the general managers’ trade chain.

When GM Peter Chiarelli says they made these moves with the health of their defence in mind, that says they don’t think they will get much from Andrej Sekera. Surprised they would trade Drake Caggiula. He’s produced on a team that’s struggling to score, and while he may not be a giant, he competes hard. I’m also not convinced the Oilers are finished making moves. There’s a lot at stake. Jesse Puljujarvi’s future is uncertain.

One of my worries lately has been Hitch only talking up and working with Pulju to help get him traded.

Fans of other teams he's coached say he's done that before, talk up young guys like crazy as they are treading water until they are moved.

I have this same fear. Coupled with Pete’s ‘get to the playoffs or I’m out of a job’ mentality, it’s a definite possibility too.

Pull your R.V. is going to Carolina for a d-man. Book it.

I trust the man to trade scoring for defense. Definitely.

Who's getting healthy scratched in Carolina that we'd take a flyer on?

Apparently Dougie Hamilton is the answer to who's available. I'm sure there are many here that would ignore all questions about why 3 teams have given up on him if he came here.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726574 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

While he is too classy to likely do it, Connor should pull what Eichel did and call out the Oil organization for its ineptitude. I know he wants to win- he didn't just come to this team to be some sort of flashy ornament who collects scoring titles. Katz obviously won't listen to fans (and possibly sends out trolls to post on forums like this one), but maybe he will listen to the one reason that fans are still paying to watch this team despite how badly they are doing.

It's not just Chia who needs to go, we all know that even just to be on the safe side, every bit of the disease known as the OBC needs to be completely excised from the Oilers organization if this team is to truly have any shot at moving forward.

Petrovic and Manning should be the final straw, as they have been clownishly bad since Chia made the godawful trades to bring them to this team. They have even less excuse for being jokes given that they play on a team coached by HITCHCOCK who builds highly defence-oriented systems.

I can't keep caring about this trainwreck, because it will lead me to an early grave. Do something soon, Katz.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726585 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Maybe, just maybe, the losing and failure is intentional. It gives the OBC members an excuse to get totally smashed every game night.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726595 is a reply to message #726585 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

ALL HAIL THE CHIA

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726602 is a reply to message #726595 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 05:55

ALL HAIL THE CHIA

If he can turn this pile of steaming dung around to make the playoffs he definitely deserves to keep his job.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726604 is a reply to message #726602 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 05 January 2019 23:28

ALL HAIL THE CHIA

If he can turn this pile of steaming dung around to make the playoffs he definitely deserves to keep his job.

.....who brought in this steaming pile of dung?????....

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726605 is a reply to message #726602 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

ALL HAIL THE CHIA

That dung you speak of already has his grubby fingerprints all over it.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726607 is a reply to message #726602 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ALL HAIL THE CHIA

I would honestly be amazed at how he could do it.

We are more than capped out, we actually need to shed 3M of salary if Sekera insists he is ready to play. We really have nothing anyone wants now, aside from our top prospects and top picks. If the OBC has any brains, they are not letting Chia sell any of the future to just save this one season. And just overall, Chia is just not good at making trades that move the needle in our favour.

He probably just needs to hope Koskinen or Talbot can go into god mode and can hold it long enough to save the day while McDavid, Drai and Nuge do the rest.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726612 is a reply to message #726607 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 January 2019 23:44

ALL HAIL THE CHIA

I would honestly be amazed at how he could do it.

We are more than capped out, we actually need to shed 3M of salary if Sekera insists he is ready to play. We really have nothing anyone wants now, aside from our top prospects and top picks. If the OBC has any brains, they are not letting Chia sell any of the future to just save this one season. And just overall, Chia is just not good at making trades that move the needle in our favour.

He probably just needs to hope Koskinen or Talbot can go into god mode and can hold it long enough to save the day while McDavid, Drai and Nuge do the rest.

Hey when do the three year leases for luxury boxes come up for renewal? Oooooo. That sucks. They probably should have staggered those bad boys. Silly OBC, the Oilers should be contenders by now.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726883 is a reply to message #726607 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 06:44

Why would Sekera insist he is ready to play? Don't see any value to him coming back for him personally.

Re: Koskinen or Talbot, that's the deal when only half the teams in the league make the playoffs. You need good goaltending to get to the playoffs.

Kinda sucks Jones is playing like a rookie tonight.

Meh. The Oilers are done for the season. I think Chia should be relieved of his duties as GM tomorrow. Being the Oilers and the OBC they won't actually fire him, instead they will keep Chia on as a special advisor.

If sober Gretzky/interim GM can get this team into the playoffs then Chia should still keep his permanent GM gig. rofl

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726886 is a reply to message #726883 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 22:45

Why would Sekera insist he is ready to play? Don't see any value to him coming back for him personally.

Re: Koskinen or Talbot, that's the deal when only half the teams in the league make the playoffs. You need good goaltending to get to the playoffs.

Meh. The Oilers are done for the season. I think Chia should be relieved of his duties as GM tomorrow. Being the Oilers and the OBC they won't actually fire him, instead they will keep Chia on as a special advisor.

If sober Gretzky/interim GM can get this team into the playoffs then Chia should still keep his permanent GM gig. rofl

Oh no...we broke shoop.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726890 is a reply to message #726883 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 22:45

I guess it depends on Sek's personality. If you want a guy to go to Robidas island, he has to be on board with faking that he can't play and keep the story up. Any player with real pride may want to fight his way back in to be in the NHL if he is able.

I don't think we have a Lucky Lou that will put the screws to people either and force them to stay home. Our team has a wuss in charge that bought Gryba out because he was scared to hurt his feelings possibly demoting him to save his cap hit entirely. lol, and it's hilarious now that we really coulda used Gryba out of the minors to avoid Chia's urge to take on that terrible Manning contract.

yes, please, fire them all. Keith Gretzky can be the lone survivor of the OBC and Chia group, but maybe not as GM or higher. He did some OK amateur scouting for Boston.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 January 2019 22:58]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726918 is a reply to message #726890 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 05:56

I guess it depends on Sek's personality. If you want a guy to go to Robidas island, he has to be on board with faking that he can't play and keep the story up. Any player with real pride may want to fight his way back in to be in the NHL if he is able.

He tore his ACL clean through. No faking there. Losing a full season with that injury is not unherad of. In Sekera's long-term interest not coming back for the rest of this lost season is all the excuse he needs. Look how crappy he played when he was forced into the lineup, after a less severe injury, last year.

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 05:51

Oh no...we broke shoop.

The crappy play of this team after Chia's latest moves broke me.

I was never a Chia shill. Just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The lack of outright hatred for Chia set me apart.

The last round of pickups was bad. Not mortgage the future bad, but still bad. Caggiula was too inconsistent for me to get worked up about.

Manning was a horrible pickup.

Still think Chia keeps his job if this team makes the playoffs. icon_lol

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726919 is a reply to message #726918 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

shoop wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 08:10

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 05:56

He tore his ACL clean through. No faking there. Losing a full season with that injury is not unherad of. In Sekera's long-term interest not coming back for the rest of this lost season is all the excuse he needs. Look how crappy he played when he was forced into the lineup, after a less severe injury, last year.

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 05:51

Oh no...we broke shoop.

The crappy play of this team after Chia's latest moves broke me.

I was never a Chia shill. Just willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The lack of outright hatred for Chia set me apart.

The last round of pickups was bad. Not mortgage the future bad, but still bad. Caggiula was too inconsistent for me to get worked up about.

Manning was a horrible pickup.

Still think Chia keeps his job if this team makes the playoffs. icon_lol

Unfortunately, based on Bobby’s word that’s a safe bet.

Problem (for Chia) being, the team as it’s constructed is not a playoff team this season. Only way it happens is if McDavid hits yet another level and Talbot/Koskinen are consistently bailing out our sorry sack of D.

The unfortunate part for fans, the current GM has literally capped us out while “plugging” holes by creating other holes only for the original holes to not actually be plugged and leaving more holes than he had to fix when originally taking the job.

Oh, and our two NHL goalies are off the books come July 1. So we need to sign 2 NHL goalies, even if it’s the current two again, though they won’t come cheaper than what they currently are.

No matter how you spin it, no matter how anyone spins it... Chiarelli has broken this franchise beyond its DoD. It’s such a waste of McDavid. You can argue that we’re ‘in a better position’ than any point during the DoD, scritcly due to McDavid. But are we?

During the DoD we had holes on D and C. Well, our Center holes have been fixed (ha! Giggity!) though we still have massive holes on d and now gaping holes on the wings with NO CAP ROOM and needing 2 nhl goalies for next season.

Oh, but the cap is going up! Well have an extra 4mil... to sign 10 NHL players including 2 goalies. So estimated 15mil for 10 players, 2 of which are goalies. Great cap management.

But the cupboards are restocked (you may hear)... Bakersfield is currently 5th in their division, 1 point back of 4th.. Top 4 make playoffs. So they’re close to a playoff position, much like the Oilers however they’ve won 4 of their last 10 where the Oilers have won 2. Still. They’re not doing anything special by any means. Benson is currently their highest scorer, with 23 points in 32 games, .72 ppg. Hebig with 22 points in 32 games. These guys aren’t going to be big NHL players, depth supporting roles at best. Maybe one of them will be ready to replace Lucic on the 4th line in 2024

#FireChia

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726933 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

From Woodguy on twitter;

In July 2017 Pete let 3 of the top 4 McDavid-not-on-ice goal scorers go:

RNH - 10
Eberle - 8
Pouliot - 8
Pitlick - 8

Goals scored since then:
Eberle 33
Pitlick 20

Oilers who have score more than 20 since July 2017:
McDavid - 65
Drai - 48
RNH - 38
Caggiula - 20

That is all.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726934 is a reply to message #726933 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 10:24

From Woodguy on twitter;

RNH - 10
Eberle - 8
Pouliot - 8
Pitlick - 8

Goals scored since then:
Eberle 33
Pitlick 20

McDavid - 65
Drai - 48
RNH - 38
Caggiula - 20

That is all.

It's ok though, thanks to the selling of forward assets the Oilers now boast a Defense Corp that is the envy of the league. It's comparable only to the great Defense teams and pairings of the past. The <redacted> / Niedermeyer Ducks. The Lidstrom / Rafalski Wings. The Huddy / Coffey Oilers. The Robinson / Lapointe Habs. The Jujhar Kharlsson / Burns Sharks.

Klefbom*
Sekera*
Nurse
Benning^
Larsson
Jones~
Russell
6 or 7 other guys

Your 2018-19 Oilers. The best that can be had.

*injured
^healthy scratch / no longer shiny new toy
~the super new and super shiny new toy

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726935 is a reply to message #726933 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 11:24

From Woodguy on twitter;

RNH - 10
Eberle - 8
Pouliot - 8
Pitlick - 8

Goals scored since then:
Eberle 33
Pitlick 20

McDavid - 65
Drai - 48
RNH - 38
Caggiula - 20

That is all.

Not saying he was the answer or anything, but Pitlick was cheap, young and proven he could chip in with secondary scoring. Not sure why we didn’t bring him back.

Eberle. Well. You know... cap space.

It’s funny looking back at that playoff run and how the media and franchise grew so sour on the secondary offence employed, when arguably defence and officiating caused their demise in the fateful game 7 after erupting for 7 goals in game 6.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726936 is a reply to message #726935 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 10:52

Not saying he was the answer or anything, but Pitlick was cheap, young and proven he could chip in with secondary scoring. Not sure why we didn’t bring him back.

It’s funny looking back at that playoff run and how the media and franchise grew so sour on the secondary offence employed, when arguably defence and officiating caused their demise in the fateful game 7 after erupting for 7 goals in game 6.

Agreed on Pitlick. That summer after the Playoff run was devastating to the Oilers. You let Pitlick leave and you buyout Benoit Pouliot to save what, a million per year? Not even talking about the Eberle trade those were 2 cheap options, I don't understand both of those decisions. I would have even thought of re-signing Desharnais for a million like he signed for NYR for, he had a pretty good playoffs and seemed to start gelling as the games went on.

The Oilers sat and did nothing and expected everyone to better their career years.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726950 is a reply to message #726919 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Fire the guy that's suppose to know what he's doing regarding the cap. You know...the cap management guy! Fire his sorry ass! Good place to start.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726955 is a reply to message #726936 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 11:13

Agreed on Pitlick. That summer after the Playoff run was devastating to the Oilers. You let Pitlick leave and you buyout Benoit Pouliot to save what, a million per year? Not even talking about the Eberle trade those were 2 cheap options, I don't understand both of those decisions. I would have even thought of re-signing Desharnais for a million like he signed for NYR for, he had a pretty good playoffs and seemed to start gelling as the games went on.

The Oilers sat and did nothing and expected everyone to better their career years.

The Pitlick situation is something they have done before remember Curtis Glencross? I think they let Brodziak as a young player go that same year but could be wrong about that.

"Though he played well with Edmonton,[12] the Oilers did not make a contract offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.[13] Glencross hoped to remain in Edmonton as it was close to his Red Deer home. But after the Oilers made little effort to negotiate with him, he chose to sign a three-year, $3.6 million deal with Edmonton's provincial rival, the Calgary Flames.[14]"

Of course he was a really good player for them for quite a few years.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726957 is a reply to message #726955 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 15:57

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 11:13

The Pitlick situation is something they have done before remember Curtis Glencross? I think they let Brodziak as a young player go that same year but could be wrong about that.

"Though he played well with Edmonton,[12] the Oilers did not make a contract offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.[13] Glencross hoped to remain in Edmonton as it was close to his Red Deer home. But after the Oilers made little effort to negotiate with him, he chose to sign a three-year, $3.6 million deal with Edmonton's provincial rival, the Calgary Flames.[14]"

Of course he was a really good player for them for quite a few years.

Three slightly different situations:

1) Glencross - He had a good run after a waiver pickup with Edmonton but it was a VERY small sample size. He was only here for 26 games, but part of an effective depth line with Stortini and Brodziak. He posted 13 points in those 26 games - so pretty decent production, but he did get waived by Columbus that same year (despite decent production there too - 12 points in 36 games). In hindsight, definitely would have been good to re-up him, but you could understand where a team might have trepidation.

Biggest issue there was that the Oilers basically showed incredible arrogance, telling him to sit tight and they'd come back to him once they were done chasing rainbows with Jagr and Hossa and the like. Shockingly, he didn't wait patiently.

2) Brodziak played one more year with the Oilers, the last one with MacT behind the bench. MacT believed he had some players who were coach-killers that year and sent his message to the players and the organization with his final game as head coach. He healthy scratched Dustin Penner, Robert Nilsson and Kyle Brodziak. That summer, the team then traded Brodziak plus a 6th round pick for a 4th round pick and a 5th round pick. We ended up with Kyle Bigos and Olivier Roy - neither of whom played an NHL game. Hilariously, the 6th round pick turned in to Darcy Kuemper who has 151 NHL games under his belt now.

Penner and Nilsson both got another opportunity with the firm. FWIW, looking back, Nilsson's numbers weren't terrible for a guy who ended up bought out and banished from the NHL...He's still scoring in the Swiss league to this day.

3) Pitlick is one that I give the organization a bit of a pass on. I do think it was clear that he had become a player, but he had such terrible injury luck while with the Oilers, it was always going to be hard to commit term to that player. The Stars offered him a three year deal, and that security was the difference maker. I kind of felt like the player probably wanted a change of scenery anyhow from where he'd had so much bad mojo. While I'm not shy about ripping management for clear mistakes, I don't see a scenario where Pitlick doesn't at least test free agency, and even if they'd been given the chance, with his history, I think it would have been really tough for the Oilers to step up and match the three years he got from Dallas.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726959 is a reply to message #726957 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I remember that line being very effective too and also being pretty ticked off that they just let Glencross walk, especially him being essentially a home town guy that played well for them and wanted to stay. Brodziak too, still not even in his prime and he had serious speed back then. I mean just as good depth players that they gave up on. I thought the same about Pitlick and his injury woes. He would have been a gamble to re sign but as it turned out has done pretty well for himself.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726960 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://oilersnation.com/2019/01/09/the-way-i-see-it-fire-pe ter-chiarelli/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Robin Brownlee gets on the #FireChiarelli bandwagon...even if the team makes the playoffs.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726962 is a reply to message #726960 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 17:53

https://oilersnation.com/2019/01/09/the-way-i-see-it-fire-pe ter-chiarelli/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Robin Brownlee gets on the #FireChiarelli bandwagon...even if the team makes the playoffs.

Good. He ain’t wrong, he also scores a few Brownlee points from me lmao

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726963 is a reply to message #726919 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 15:22

Unfortunately, based on Bobby’s word that’s a safe bet.

Honestly though the Oilers would have to go on a helluva run to make the playoffs now. Yes, people would forget the crappy start to the season.

Problem (for Chia) being, the team as it’s constructed is not a playoff team this season. Only way it happens is if McDavid hits yet another level and Talbot/Koskinen are consistently bailing out our sorry sack of D.

It's happened with other teams. The best player on the planet would have to play ... like the unquestioned best player on the planet. McD is having a good season, but he's not walking away with the Hart. Might not even be a finalist right now. If one of Talbot/Koskinen played like the Talbot of 2016-17 that would be enough in terms of goalie play.

Oh, and our two NHL goalies are off the books come July 1. So we need to sign 2 NHL goalies, even if it’s the current two again, though they won’t come cheaper than what they currently are.

You think someone is going to give Talbs more than $4.17M a year based on his play the last season and a half? Really?

No matter how you spin it, no matter how anyone spins it... Chiarelli has broken this franchise beyond its DoD. It’s such a waste of McDavid. You can argue that we’re ‘in a better position’ than any point during the DoD, scritcly due to McDavid. But are we?

Sigh. There are different eras in the DoD. 2006-07 to 2008-09 the Oilers were a fringe playoff team. Just didn't get there any of the three seasons. Current team is not as good as that team.

During the DoD we had holes on D and C. Well, our Center holes have been fixed (ha! Giggity!) though we still have massive holes on d and now gaping holes on the wings with NO CAP ROOM and needing 2 nhl goalies for next season.

2010-11 and 2011-12 was the low point for the Oilers. The D was Tom Gilbert/Corey Potter/Nick Schultz/Cam Barker/Ladi Smid/early days Jultz. Klefa/Nurse/Larsson/Jones/ are miles better than any four of those guys.

Oh, but the cap is going up! Well have an extra 4mil... to sign 10 NHL players including 2 goalies. So estimated 15mil for 10 players, 2 of which are goalies. Great cap management.

Can't argue with much there.

But the cupboards are restocked (you may hear)... Bakersfield is currently 5th in their division, 1 point back of 4th.. Top 4 make playoffs. So they’re close to a playoff position, much like the Oilers however they’ve won 4 of their last 10 where the Oilers have won 2. Still. They’re not doing anything special by any means. Benson is currently their highest scorer, with 23 points in 32 games, .72 ppg. Hebig with 22 points in 32 games. These guys aren’t going to be big NHL players, depth supporting roles at best. Maybe one of them will be ready to replace Lucic on the 4th line in 2024

#FireChia

Who gives an eff about where Bakersfield is in the standings? Jones, Gambardella and Yamamoto should all be playing in Bako right now. The Oilers prospect pools is better than at any time in the DoD.

I don't deny that Chia has some huge flaws, but when the criticism is that vitriolic it is pretty sad.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726971 is a reply to message #726960 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 15:53

While I agree with the headline, he lost me with the opening line, "Call me naïve, but I still think the Edmonton Oilers are going to make the playoffs. "

We need a 21-13-5 record for remaining season just to have a 50% chance. Which means they have to wake up one morning and suddenly play as good as the Sharks have this season. That's a huge stretch to cover for 39 games.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726972 is a reply to message #726971 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

And flaunting the idea of hiring Keith Gretzky as interim GM. The media is still scared or out of touch of the real issues deeper than Peter Chiarelli.

Clean house or bust

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726983 is a reply to message #726963 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

shoop wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 18:57

Who gives an eff about where Bakersfield is in the standings? Jones, Gambardella and Yamamoto should all be playing in Bako right now. The Oilers prospect pools is better than at any time in the DoD.

I don't deny that Chia has some huge flaws, but when the criticism is that vitriolic it is pretty sad

Well... the D prospect pool is certainly better, IF they pan out. You can't tell me, or anyone for that matter, that the forward pool is any better than it was, it was garbage and still is garbage. To make matters worse, the forward pool with the big club is even worse.

What's with your nicknames? Klefa. Bako.

1- Even if they go on a run, no, people won't forget the start they've had.

2- Other teams have done it? With the best player on the planet? interesting.

3- Well, I wasn't talking about Talbot alone. I was talking about the tandem since BOTH goalies come off the books. Currently spending 6.6M on TWO goalies... won't be much cheaper to bring in TWO goalies, even if it's the same two.

4- Sigh. Oilers are a fringe playoff team with McDavid. Current team is not as good as the 06-09 team? So you agree that Chia has broken the team past its DoD level?

5- Small sample of Jones. Looks like he could be a player, as did Bear last year with his stint. Jury is still out as they need more time. Nurse has as many defensive gafs as Smid but at least Smid used his size on a consistent basis. Klefbom (I assume that's who you mean when you say Klefa(?)) and Larsson are definitely better than anyone you mentioned there.

6- It's terrible cap management by an incompetent GM. Of course you can't argue it.

7- If your farm team can't win games and produce players then you won't have the proper depth to cover injuries or for long term development. Yes, it seems as though they're in a better spot, but they aren't beating down the league and aren't scoring at a high clip either.

Glad you agree that Chiarelli has some huge flaws.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726987 is a reply to message #726983 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 09:51

shoop wrote on Wed, 09 January 2019 18:57

I don't deny that Chia has some huge flaws, but when the criticism is that vitriolic it is pretty sad

Well... the D prospect pool is certainly better, IF they pan out. You can't tell me, or anyone for that matter, that the forward pool is any better than it was, it was garbage and still is garbage. To make matters worse, the forward pool with the big club is even worse.

What's with your nicknames? Klefa. Bako.

1- Even if they go on a run, no, people won't forget the start they've had.

2- Other teams have done it? With the best player on the planet? interesting.

3- Well, I wasn't talking about Talbot alone. I was talking about the tandem since BOTH goalies come off the books. Currently spending 6.6M on TWO goalies... won't be much cheaper to bring in TWO goalies, even if it's the same two.

4- Sigh. Oilers are a fringe playoff team with McDavid. Current team is not as good as the 06-09 team? So you agree that Chia has broken the team past its DoD level?

5- Small sample of Jones. Looks like he could be a player, as did Bear last year with his stint. Jury is still out as they need more time. Nurse has as many defensive gafs as Smid but at least Smid used his size on a consistent basis. Klefbom (I assume that's who you mean when you say Klefa(?)) and Larsson are definitely better than anyone you mentioned there.

6- It's terrible cap management by an incompetent GM. Of course you can't argue it.

7- If your farm team can't win games and produce players then you won't have the proper depth to cover injuries or for long term development. Yes, it seems as though they're in a better spot, but they aren't beating down the league and aren't scoring at a high clip either.

Glad you agree that Chiarelli has some huge flaws.

This 100%

As it pertains to the farm club. There are a couple of projects that MIGHT be full time NHL'ers someday. There is a MANY that might get a cup of coffee or be journeyman 13th F or 7th D. The closest to a blue chip is Bouchard and even he has some major flaws that need improvement before he can be considered a sure thing.

I agree that Jones, Gambardella and Yamamoto should be on the Condors. If the Oilers had more depth than a puddle ( icon_biggrin) the Oilers wouldnt be forced to have them on the team right now.
If we include those three as part of the prospect group it is still average at best.

Much like the Oilers, sure it is better than when it was at it's worst but is that the bar we are setting for success? Or happiness with management?

The fact that the overall franchise is marginally better than it was at it's worst should be THE reason management is cleaned out, not a defense of it.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727017 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

5 Cups

Rishaug and Nielsen doing Oilers 3-in-3;

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/oilers-3-in-3-have-chiarelli-s- recent-moves-hurt-more-than-help~1582974/oilers-3-in-3-have- chiarelli-s-recent-moves-hurt-more-than-help~1582974

3 questions;
1- How big of an impact has Klefbom’s absence had on the recent losing record? (3-8-2 since Klefbom’s injury)

2- Have Peter Chiarelli's recent moves hurt the team more than help?

3- Should Edmonton consider moving their first round pick to help them improve right now?

Shall we get the Oilfans answers to these?
1- 60%... were without Russell for a large chunk of the 13 games. Goalie play not great since either. Related? Likely.

2- Definately hurt. (Though a large chunk of us think it’s further than his ‘recent’ moves that have hurt the team.

3- If it’s in a package to upgrade scoring from the wings, for a guy with min 2 years after this season, I’d do it. Let’s face it, I’m a fan, I want Oilers playoff hockey even if they don’t go far. Though, to reiterate, I’d only do it for a move that is a longer term gain.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#62) - Olivier Rodrigue
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca