This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » McLellan Out. Hitchcock In.
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722775 is a reply to message #722764 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:47

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:38

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:12

Lesterpolyester wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:05

I think he lost the team but that being said he was Coaching the team that he was provided.

You're right, and now Chia's insulation is gone. He's next for sure and when it happens, it won't be soon enough.

Chia's now been given the requisite changes to his complete coaching staff, and the HC position will be evaluated at the end of this season, so I'd expect Chia to be gone at season's end if the team continues to underperform, and they're starting over again in GM as HC.

Has he? He was allowed to fire a coach, but the replacement is nothing more than a 60 game training wheels gig. It has all the markings of typical Oilers short term thinking.

It might be interesting to hear if TM were truly candid about some of the moves PC made to provide players, but you're never going to hear that from a coach that wants to work for another GM at some point. The kicker might have been TM throwing players under the bus (some warranted) after the weekend, but NEVER admitting that he pretty much lost the game to Calgary. I think he finally lost the players after the Calgary debacle.

The 60 games for Hitch might be Hitchcock reading the tea leaves and recognizing that PC might be gone if the Oilers season ends with the regular season.

I just hope there is a systemic improvement at this point and a response from the players that in turn builds their confidence.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722776 is a reply to message #722770 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:54

Is the presser streamed online? Oilers site?

TSN 1260 will have. The Oilers stream everything on YouTube

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722777 is a reply to message #722775 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:00

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:47

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:38

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:12

Lesterpolyester wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:05

I think he lost the team but that being said he was Coaching the team that he was provided.

You're right, and now Chia's insulation is gone. He's next for sure and when it happens, it won't be soon enough.

Chia's now been given the requisite changes to his complete coaching staff, and the HC position will be evaluated at the end of this season, so I'd expect Chia to be gone at season's end if the team continues to underperform, and they're starting over again in GM as HC.

Has he? He was allowed to fire a coach, but the replacement is nothing more than a 60 game training wheels gig. It has all the markings of typical Oilers short term thinking.

It might be interesting to hear if TM were truly candid about some of the moves PC made to provide players, but you're never going to hear that from a coach that wants to work for another GM at some point. The kicker might have been TM throwing players under the bus (some warranted) after the weekend, but NEVER admitting that he pretty much lost the game to Calgary. I think he finally lost the players after the Calgary debacle.

The 60 games for Hitch might be Hitchcock reading the tea leaves and recognizing that PC might be gone if the Oilers season ends with the regular season.

I just hope there is a systemic improvement at this point and a response from the players that in turn builds their confidence.

I would love love love if any non-OBC Oilers outsiders was truly candid about their time working for the Oilers. We've gotten many glimpses for jilted ex-players, but it would be truly special to get a suit's view of the past couple of decades.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722778 is a reply to message #722777 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Ha. first youtube comment I saw regarding Chia's presser:

"The trade is one for one."

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722779 is a reply to message #722772 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Chia confirmed Hitchcock is here for the rest of the season then they will reevaluate the coach. Makes a little sense to me. If I am the organization, I am not letting Chia hire a long term coach if I am not sure he will be around. On the flip side, if I am a good coach, I am not taking a job where I don't know who might be my boss in 6 months.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722780 is a reply to message #722779 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:12

Chia confirmed Hitchcock is here for the rest of the season then they will reevaluate the coach. Makes a little sense to me. If I am the organization, I am not letting Chia hire a long term coach if I am not sure he will be around. On the flip side, if I am a good coach, I am not taking a job where I don't know who might be my boss in 6 months.

And that's kind of what happened. Chia wasn't allowed to find another long term coach, so he found a guy who is retired and probably doesn't want to sign up for another 3 years of work.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722781 is a reply to message #722780 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....Spector chimes in....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ken-hitchcock-perfect-hi re-oilers-right-now/

..."Hitchcock is not what you’d call a players’ coach. In fact, Ty Rattie — who could never make Hitchcock’s roster in St. Louis — will not be pleased with this move, we’re guessing.

But the answer in Edmonton, as far as the players are concerned, is simple: Play better."...

....after this morning's press conference, Chia has to know he's gone at the end of this season...he's failed at pulling a rabbit out of a hat too many times...

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722782 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

This is nuts.

Shades of Pat Quinn.

For the record I loved the idea of Quinn coaching the Oilers. The man, the myth, the legend. It became quickly apparent that the game passed him by.

Hitch is the new Pat Quinn.

They fired the wrong man, it was supposed to be Chia first, then McLellan.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2018 09:26]

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722785 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

I hate how history rhymes. 2009-10, an old retired coach comes in to help lift up a team mixed with young, promising talent and not good enough journeymen. 2018-19, an old retired coach comes in to help lift up a team mixed with young, promising talent and not good enough journeymen. Quinn was out after 1 year, Hitchcock will likely be out after 3/4 of a year. The associate (Renney) took over in 10-11, will we see GG or Yawney take over next year?

TMac being gone is glorious, but aside from better in-game decision-making, I doubt Hitchcock brings anything to the table TMac didn't. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722786 is a reply to message #722781 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:25

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ken-hitchcock-perfect-hi re-oilers-right-now/

..."Hitchcock is not what you’d call a players’ coach. In fact, Ty Rattie — who could never make Hitchcock’s roster in St. Louis — will not be pleased with this move, we’re guessing.

But the answer in Edmonton, as far as the players are concerned, is simple: Play better."...

....after this morning's press conference, Chia has to know he's gone at the end of this season...he's failed at pulling a rabbit out of a hat too many times...

The only thing I would say is what can the organization do mid season? If they fire Chia right now like most people want, what does that do right now? The season is going, rosters are set, most teams don't have cap space to work with, that includes the Oilers. Free agents are all signed, you can't buy out guys and trades just don't happen because most teams can afford it. So other than make fans happy, what does firing Chia right now accomplish?

When it comes to the coach. I don't think Hitchcock is the long term answer and based on what Chia said and everyone else has said, it doesn't sound like it will be. He's signed for the rest of the year, that's it. But based on what has happened, there has been problems with the structure at times, there has been problems with players reverting back to doing bad habits at times and there has been problems with players under performing. As an example, how many times have we seen guys like Caggulia, Benning, Nurse, etc doing the same stupid mistakes they did 2 seasons ago? They should know better by now. So the message isn't getting through to them. Hitchcock is known for being a good structure guy especially defensively. We have seen that the Oilers CAN play good structure, they just don't do it all the time. So if he can tweak these guys a bit to play with more structure, it might help. The big thing is he is a demanding coach which wears on guys hence why he moves around but for short periods of time, you see immediate improvements in his time. Quite frankly, even though the roster has holes in it all thanks to Chia doing a lousy job, there are a lot of guys on this team flat out under performing. So if Hitchcock can come in a give a bunch of guys a boot in the ass, maybe they can get into the playoffs.

Plus I do not see a scenario where any coach who Oilers fans would deem good enough is taking the Oilers job during the season when the future of the GM is in question.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722787 is a reply to message #722781 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

But he sure can put a rabbit into a hat and then pull out a turd.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722788 is a reply to message #722786 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:41

The only thing I would say is what can the organization do mid season? If they fire Chia right now like most people want, what does that do right now? The season is going, rosters are set, most teams don't have cap space to work with, that includes the Oilers. Free agents are all signed, you can't buy out guys and trades just don't happen because most teams can afford it. So other than make fans happy, what does firing Chia right now accomplish?

When it comes to the coach. I don't think Hitchcock is the long term answer and based on what Chia said and everyone else has said, it doesn't sound like it will be. He's signed for the rest of the year, that's it. But based on what has happened, there has been problems with the structure at times, there has been problems with players reverting back to doing bad habits at times and there has been problems with players under performing. As an example, how many times have we seen guys like Caggulia, Benning, Nurse, etc doing the same stupid mistakes they did 2 seasons ago? They should know better by now. So the message isn't getting through to them. Hitchcock is known for being a good structure guy especially defensively. We have seen that the Oilers CAN play good structure, they just don't do it all the time. So if he can tweak these guys a bit to play with more structure, it might help. The big thing is he is a demanding coach which wears on guys hence why he moves around but for short periods of time, you see immediate improvements in his time. Quite frankly, even though the roster has holes in it all thanks to Chia doing a lousy job, there are a lot of guys on this team flat out under performing. So if Hitchcock can come in a give a bunch of guys a boot in the ass, maybe they can get into the playoffs.

Prevents Panicky Pete from mangling the roster further between now and the deadline?

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722789 is a reply to message #722788 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:43

Prevents Panicky Pete from mangling the roster further between now and the deadline?

In all seriousness, do you actually think that Chia right now has the full reins to make any move he wants? I don't. So you fire the guy right now, then what? I am not advocating he should keep his job. A lot of the Oilers woes are on him so if this team doesn't make the playoffs, he most definitely should be gone in my books and even if they make the playoffs but lose out in the first round, I am not convinced he should have a job. But firing him right now doesn't do anything in my opinion other than please the fans. You don't even have the ability to hire anyone to replace him right now because any quality candidates will be working for another team.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 November 2018 11:49]

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722790 is a reply to message #722788 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 14:43

1) Like you say, prevents another "astute" move
2) Allows a new guy time to see what he has and what he needs to do at the trade deadline
3) Give him more time to see what he needs to do in the offseason.

IMO, it's the perfect time to fire the GM - it's a relatively slow time for GMs, so someone can come in with no pressure to do something right away, and gives him plenty of time to properly evaluate (not Tambellini type evaluation)

and 4) It will please the fans.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722791 is a reply to message #722761 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:41

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:33

I hope that Hitchcock will let Viverios run the PP which I thought was one of the reasons he was brought in. According to Gregor who was just on Lowetides show, he has talked to players and they said he doesn't run the PP which is dumb.

The roster isn't good enough but there are guys on this team that need a boot in the ass as well. Lucic being #1, Kassian, Brodziak, Khaira, Nurse, Benning, Rattie. I might even put Nuge in there as take him away from McDavid and what as he done plus he has only 4 goals.

I'd probably throw LD in that list as well. You can't just haul ass on the ice when you're looking for a feed from Connor on a 2 on 1, and coast/be stationary for most of the rest of the time.

I would agree with you on Leon. With McDavid, he is fantastic. I also think that when he is center his own line, he at time CAN look dominate but he doesn't do it all the time and he doesn't always play with enough structure. The Oilers need McDavid and Leon going all the time.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722792 is a reply to message #722790 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:49

2) Allows a new guy time to see what he has and what he needs to do at the trade deadline

IMO, it's the perfect time to fire the GM - it's a relatively slow time for GMs, so someone can come in with no pressure to do something right away, and gives him plenty of time to properly evaluate (not Tambellini type evaluation)

Who is available to take over the GM job right now? All the really good assistant GM's just waiting for an opportunity are employed right now and not available. If the GM is getting fired, I want EVERY possible available candidate so they can hopefully pick the absolute best guy. I don't want the organization picking their new GM off the unemployed scrap heap just because.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722793 is a reply to message #722792 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 14:54

Who is available to take over the GM job right now? All the really good assistant GM's just waiting for an opportunity are employed right now and not available. If the GM is getting fired, I want EVERY possible available candidate so they can hopefully pick the absolute best guy. I don't want the organization picking their new GM off the unemployed scrap heap just because.

Well that's a different ball of wax altogether. I was just commenting on you saying it wasn't a good time. I think it would be a great time to do it.

If we're talking candidates, well, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Couldn't do any worse.

Are there any good GMs out of work currently?

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722795 is a reply to message #722793 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Steve Yzerman left Tampa with odd timing. I'd put my best foot forward for him. Probably not going to happen with his family in Detroit.

Maybe Dean Lombardi? But he isn't without warts.

The Oilers might actually have to have an extensive talent recruitment process to get somebody good. But who does that?

Clean house or bust

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722796 is a reply to message #722786 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Plus I do not see a scenario where any coach who Oilers fans would deem good enough is taking the Oilers job during the season when the future of the GM is in question.

What does any GM do here, given the corner the current GM has painted the team into? All they can do is hope the cap drives up and gives some breathing room going forward. Given that the team has gutted their depth at wing, fired their bullets, and STILL needs a passable 1D who is a threat on the PP. I can't seen them moving depth at center (one of whom still has to play wing any given night) to address issues on D or on wing, or now possibly 1G.

They can't trade picks for salary, because there's no room. They've got some prospects in the organization, but what do you do in terms of personnel, what prospects would anyone deal, what are the cap implications, and what are you going to get? The current GM has poisoned the well for any moves to help other that shuffling deck chairs. He should be fired on the basis of this fact, but any incoming GM is going to be hamstrung unless he's willing to trade a big piece, and really the Oilers are in a corner because the franchise simply cannot afford a trade mistake that creates a hole in the roster and doesn't create an outright benefit elsewhere in the roster.

Unfortunately we're probably at a point where help isn't coming, where they had to get someone in to help the existing roster execute and perform better. The GM should be axed at season's end for anything less than a 2nd round appearance in the playoffs. PC should have a very short leash in terms of what he's allowed to attempt to save his job, but replacing him mid season given the situation probably wouldn't do much good at this point.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722797 is a reply to message #722795 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 12:21

Oilers might actually have to have an extensive talent recruitment process to get somebody good.

So what you are saying is Keith Gretzky will be the next GM

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722798 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I am glad he's out, and I suppose it makes sense to have an interim coach. It would be fantastic to see Quenneville stay unemployed through to summer. Pretty weird that there are two big vacancies and he doesn't fill them, he must just want some time.

That said, this is still late to the game and very predictable. I hate that we have the best player in the world in his 4th season and we have yet another evaluation year. Everybody should have been axed last summer. Now we wait to see if Hitchcock can save Chiarelli's job for another year, or we miss the playoffs. Both are bad outcomes. We simply don't have time to keep evaluating everyone.

Clean house or bust

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722800 is a reply to message #722791 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:51

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:41

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 10:33

I hope that Hitchcock will let Viverios run the PP which I thought was one of the reasons he was brought in. According to Gregor who was just on Lowetides show, he has talked to players and they said he doesn't run the PP which is dumb.

The roster isn't good enough but there are guys on this team that need a boot in the ass as well. Lucic being #1, Kassian, Brodziak, Khaira, Nurse, Benning, Rattie. I might even put Nuge in there as take him away from McDavid and what as he done plus he has only 4 goals.

I'd probably throw LD in that list as well. You can't just haul ass on the ice when you're looking for a feed from Connor on a 2 on 1, and coast/be stationary for most of the rest of the time.

I would agree with you on Leon. With McDavid, he is fantastic. I also think that when he is center his own line, he at time CAN look dominate but he doesn't do it all the time and he doesn't always play with enough structure. The Oilers need McDavid and Leon going all the time.

I'm hoping it comes with maturity for Leon. Maybe become headier as a center in terms of choices in distributing the puck as well. He's one of those guys that you watch and think there is a player in there that could be among the very few of the elite, and you come away many nights thinking there's more there to give.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722802 is a reply to message #722789 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:45

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:43

In all seriousness, do you actually think that Chia right now has the full reins to make any move he wants? I don't. So you fire the guy right now, then what? I am not advocating he should keep his job. A lot of the Oilers woes are on him so if this team doesn't make the playoffs, he most definitely should be gone in my books and even if they make the playoffs but lose out in the first round, I am not convinced he should have a job. But firing him right now doesn't do anything in my opinion other than please the fans. You don't even have the ability to hire anyone to replace him right now because any quality candidates will be working for another team.

If Oiler management has lost confidence in Chiarelli's ability to manage a hockey team why on earth would he be here another single day?

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722804 is a reply to message #722797 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 12:28

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 12:21

Oilers might actually have to have an extensive talent recruitment process to get somebody good.

So what you are saying is Keith Gretzky will be the next GM

Doesn't that move have Oilers written all over it?

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722805 is a reply to message #722790 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:49

Only if the OBC is given an uber to the airport and banished from town. Why can't we exile people anymore?

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722806 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Wow.
File this under, doesn't freaking matter.

Chiarelli is the architect of this disaster, this is his standard "one coaching change" allowance, then he's done.

Hitch will be interim, can't see him being any better than Mcclellan, Hitch lost his coaching mojo quite a few years ago.

What happens to Woodcroft? Woody's probably happy to be in Baker right now.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722807 is a reply to message #722796 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 12:23

What does any GM do here, given the corner the current GM has painted the team into? All they can do is hope the cap drives up and gives some breathing room going forward. Given that the team has gutted their depth at wing, fired their bullets, and STILL needs a passable 1D who is a threat on the PP. I can't seen them moving depth at center (one of whom still has to play wing any given night) to address issues on D or on wing, or now possibly 1G.

They can't trade picks for salary, because there's no room. They've got some prospects in the organization, but what do you do in terms of personnel, what prospects would anyone deal, what are the cap implications, and what are you going to get? The current GM has poisoned the well for any moves to help other that shuffling deck chairs. He should be fired on the basis of this fact, but any incoming GM is going to be hamstrung unless he's willing to trade a big piece, and really the Oilers are in a corner because the franchise simply cannot afford a trade mistake that creates a hole in the roster and doesn't create an outright benefit elsewhere in the roster.

Unfortunately we're probably at a point where help isn't coming, where they had to get someone in to help the existing roster execute and perform better. The GM should be axed at season's end for anything less than a 2nd round appearance in the playoffs. PC should have a very short leash in terms of what he's allowed to attempt to save his job, but replacing him mid season given the situation probably wouldn't do much good at this point.

I do not disagree one bit. Chia has put the Oilers in a real tough spot. That is why if the do fire Chia, I want every possible candidate available. Firing him now and bringing in who ever is currently left out there doesn't make sense to me. If as an example (pipe dream I know) Yzerman wants the job, I don't think he takes it mid season. What about Mark Hunter who lost out to Dubas. He has his finger prints all over the Leafs. I don't think he comes mid season. I am sure there are some assistant GM's who could be really good but wouldn't be available until the end of the season.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722808 is a reply to message #722807 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 13:53

I do not disagree one bit. Chia has put the Oilers in a real tough spot. That is why if the do fire Chia, I want every possible candidate available. Firing him now and bringing in who ever is currently left out there doesn't make sense to me. If as an example (pipe dream I know) Yzerman wants the job, I don't think he takes it mid season. What about Mark Hunter who lost out to Dubas. He has his finger prints all over the Leafs. I don't think he comes mid season. I am sure there are some assistant GM's who could be really good but wouldn't be available until the end of the season.

I think you could do that, wait until the end of the year and see whats out there, and still turf Chia mid season.
Assign one of our multiple internal head office folks as interim, put the hand cuffs on and ride out the season.
Assuming PC is not allowed much freedom now anyway he is nothing but a lame duck waiting to be fired. Might as well move on from him now.
You mention the pipe dream of Yzerman, perhaps moving on from PC now has a few other top candidates eyeing the job early. Maybe one of the top assistants you mention starts gearing up to apply/be recruited.
Lots can happen midseason, if most are in agreement that PC is a dead man walking then waiting does nothing.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722810 is a reply to message #722808 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 13:09

I think you could do that, wait until the end of the year and see whats out there, and still turf Chia mid season.
Assign one of our multiple internal head office folks as interim, put the hand cuffs on and ride out the season.
Assuming PC is not allowed much freedom now anyway he is nothing but a lame duck waiting to be fired. Might as well move on from him now.
You mention the pipe dream of Yzerman, perhaps moving on from PC now has a few other top candidates eyeing the job early. Maybe one of the top assistants you mention starts gearing up to apply/be recruited.
Lots can happen midseason, if most are in agreement that PC is a dead man walking then waiting does nothing.

Only if you're wanting to promote from within to an interim guy, how many GM's are let go after 1/4 of the season? Otherwise you wait until the season's end until prior to the draft to see who's available, and allow some time time to properly find the guy.....assuming that the Oilers would actually talk to more than one individual.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722811 is a reply to message #722810 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 13:16

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 13:09

Only if you're wanting to promote from within to an interim guy, how many GM's are let go after 1/4 of the season? Otherwise you wait until the season's end until prior to the draft to see who's available, and allow some time time to properly find the guy.....assuming that the Oilers would actually talk to more than one individual.

If they want to fire Chia, I won't be upset one bit as the rooster he put together has holes in it big time. But there are lots of guys that I listed who aren't pulling the rope hard enough or on a consistent basis. So what was McLellan not doing to get these guys going? Leon can look dominate but not anywhere near enough. Lucic was on an almost 60 pt pace before xmas but fell off a cliff. Did his game serious just disappear literally at the snap of a finger or is there something else.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722812 is a reply to message #722785 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 11:38

I hate how history rhymes. 2009-10, an old retired coach comes in to help lift up a team mixed with young, promising talent and not good enough journeymen. 2018-19, an old retired coach comes in to help lift up a team mixed with young, promising talent and not good enough journeymen. Quinn was out after 1 year, Hitchcock will likely be out after 3/4 of a year. The associate (Renney) took over in 10-11, will we see GG or Yawney take over next year?

TMac being gone is glorious, but aside from better in-game decision-making, I doubt Hitchcock brings anything to the table TMac didn't. Hope I'm wrong, though.

That in itself cannot be underestimated in terms of value. TM is the guy who thought it was a good idea to play Lucic and Maroon different times 3 vs 3, who blends the top 3 lines regularly, and who notably in a mystifying manner recently went with Lucic on the 1st line in the 3rd period against Calgary when the lead evaporated and when the team was chasing the game.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722813 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Last coached in the spring of 17 so not that long away from the game as a coach. I too wonder if his old style tactics still work in today's game but it has to be an improvement. Something had to give and it finally did. Another wait and see. I doubt very much if Q would have come here anyway. He'll likely get the job in St Louis.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 November 2018 13:26]

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722820 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Hitchock media availability here. Skip to 10:10. Only 5 minutes long but I will summarize 2 notable points.

- He says the biggest factor to taking the job was the people he knows. Lowe, Chiarelli, Gulutzan, Yawney...
- Thinks he can help McDavid. Says McDavid has a great responsibility to set the competitiveness of the team, and that he is carrying too much of the burden.

Clean house or bust

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722821 is a reply to message #722773 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!! Brilliant call.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/2000-nr-089-en

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722823 is a reply to message #722773 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

that's amazing

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722824 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

So I get this image of Todd left at the curb with his bags calling an Uber while the bus pulls away for YEG...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722825 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Quote:

Peter Chiarelli @FakeOilersGM
I convinced Ken Hitchcock to come out of retirement! Hoping he can do the same with Milan Lucic.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722826 is a reply to message #722825 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

This is a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, TMac finally got the axe he should have actually gotten before the season began, because now the new coach has to start by cleaning up the godawful mess he left behind.

Hitchcock-coached teams tend towards supporting the goalies with solid defensive systems, so it's quite possible that Talbot could get a new lease on life playing under him because he will now be hung out to dry by his defense less often than he would be under TMac's watch. Meanwhile, Koskinen could really thrive in his system, and the more solid the Oil's goaltending and defense situation becomes, the more hockey games they will win.

On the other hand, Hitch is pretty old. I get the comparisons to when Quinn was brought in, particularly since he also had to coach under a GM who was utterly clueless when it came to major player movement and asset management. However, Hitch has a much different style of coaching than Quinn did, so I am curious to see how much the Oil play as a team now that he's behind the bench.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722828 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

After listening to Hitch talk I'm actually looking forward to see the show unfold, its going to be entertaining to say the least!

If all he does is force players to finish their freaking checks.. I'll be happy.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #722829 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Has anyone checked on Jay Woodcroft since this came out. He’ll be devastated!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca