Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714014]
Fri, 27 April 2018 14:08 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

https://www.tsn.ca/oilers-coach-mclellan-to-return-for-2018- 19-1.1070091

Todd McLellan is confirmed to be back next season. He will have to find new assistant coaches this year. Jay Woodcroft has been assigned as the Condors head coach, while Jim Johnson and Ian Herbers have been relieved of their duties.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714015 is a reply to message #714014 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Trent Yawney in please.
I'm less excited about Gulutzan also being a potential hire, but it seems like Yawney knows his stuff.

One guy I'd like to see given another chance is Rocky Thompson, but we already let him go from our system once so am not sure how willing he may be to come back.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714016 is a reply to message #714014 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I find it hilarious that the Oilers needed 2 weeks to decide on McLellan. As if 3 years of games is not enough, they just really needed a couple extra weeks of no gameplay to evaluate. Pansies. Nobody they were eyeing up as replacements got fired?

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714017 is a reply to message #714016 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 27 April 2018 14:15

I find it hilarious that the Oilers needed 2 weeks to decide on McLellan. As if 3 years of games is not enough, they just really needed a couple extra weeks of no gameplay to evaluate. Pansies. Nobody they were eyeing up as replacements got fired?

I strongly doubt they needed three weeks to decide on McLellan. If I had a dime to bet I'd say they spent 2 weeks negotiating with McLellan about how to get Woodcroft away from the Oilers, but not have McLellan quit in protest.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714018 is a reply to message #714017 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oh! I wonder who Woodcroft will pick to be HIS assistant coaches? That'll be a fun one. Maybe he'll pick Johnson (after an exhaustive search).

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714023 is a reply to message #714018 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 27 April 2018 14:22

Oh! I wonder who Woodcroft will pick to be HIS assistant coaches? That'll be a fun one. Maybe he'll pick Johnson (after an exhaustive search).

There's been speculation about Doug Weight and his staff...maybe we can bring back Buchberger!!!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714026 is a reply to message #714023 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I will say that while I felt they needed to change out their entire assistant coaching staff as I felt that McLellan would still be here, I am surprised it actually happened. The Oilers will have 3 completely new assistants.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714029 is a reply to message #714014 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

I’m guessing this fails and McLellan does not last his entire contract.

This org is now so aware of how there has been so many coaching changes. I feel it’s the only thing that’s keeping them from firing another HC.

In all seriousness though this roster has been turned over quite a bit over the last 4 seasons anyway. And this is a coaching change in a bigger way than many may realize. Often these assistants are in the players ears more than the coaches.

They should have just fired the entire crew. Time is a ticking..

Limecat Logic

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714035 is a reply to message #714029 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

This is not going to go well, I suspect. Todd appears to be a man that likes routine, and his assistants are part of that routine.

I predict a lot of wheel-spinning and finger-pointing next season. Get ready for a colossal mess of a year.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714038 is a reply to message #714035 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Fri, 27 April 2018 19:22

This is not going to go well, I suspect. Todd appears to be a man that likes routine, and his assistants are part of that routine.

I predict a lot of wheel-spinning and finger-pointing next season. Get ready for a colossal mess of a year.

You changed my mind. He is the perfect coach for the Oilers.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714039 is a reply to message #714017 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 27 April 2018 13:21

I strongly doubt they needed three weeks to decide on McLellan. If I had a dime to bet I'd say they spent 2 weeks negotiating with McLellan about how to get Woodcroft away from the Oilers, but not have McLellan quit in protest.

Definitely something like that. Every damn area of this organization has completely lost sight of the goal to win. Ownership, red wine club, Bobby burgers, GM, coaching...so dysfunctional. As long as everybody stays employed it's all good.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714040 is a reply to message #714039 ]
Fri, 27 April 2018 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 27 April 2018 19:44

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 27 April 2018 13:21

Definitely something like that. Every damn area of this organization has completely lost sight of the goal to win. Ownership, red wine club, Bobby burgers, GM, coaching...so dysfunctional. As long as everybody stays employed it's all good.

I hope they design a new third jersey logo that has 9 different layers of symbolism. That would distract me for another season.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714423 is a reply to message #714014 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

So when's the next Red Wine Summit in Banff? I assume we'll learn of who the new assistants will be following that.

Are they being "polite" and allowing the playoffs to run their course before "stealing the limelight"?

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714424 is a reply to message #714423 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 21:18

So when's the next Red Wine Summit in Banff? I assume we'll learn of who the new assistants will be following that.

Are they being "polite" and allowing the playoffs to run their course before "stealing the limelight"?

You mean the organization that hauled their Gm or POHO out for a pointless interview on day one of the Stanley Cup playoffs?

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714436 is a reply to message #714014 ]
Tue, 08 May 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

I'm just waiting for Yawney and Rocky Thompson to be joining the Flames organization because that's what usually happens when it takes this long to announce the new assistants.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714437 is a reply to message #714436 ]
Tue, 08 May 2018 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have heard the name Manny Viveiros's name mentioned a few times. He is a St. Albert guy who was supposedly a really good offensive junior dman that got a cup of coffee in the NHL but played lots in Europe. He did a bunch of coaching in Europe, even coached the Autrian Olympic team in 2014. He is currently the coach and GM of the Swift Current Bronco's who are in the WHL finals. One of the things he supposedly is really good at is PP. Gregor is pretty tapped in and has mentioned his name several times over the last few weeks. Stauffer keeps mentioning him nd has talked about how he was as a player and talked about his coaching resume in other leagues and as we know, he is the mouth piece of the Oilers. Stauffer had him on his show yesterday where he talked about the WHL playoffs, how good he is at the PP and then mentioned he has NHL interest.

Yawney who based on how many people both in Edmonton and outside of Edmonton keep linking him, seems to be a lock to be on the Oilers staff with his connections to McLellan and his specialty being defense and PK. I wonder if the hold up for announcing Yawney is they are also going to bring on Viveiros but don't want to announce it until the junior playoffs are over so they can do it together? I say that because usually if Stauffer starts talking about someone or something happening for a few weeks. he's basically bracing the fan base for what is about to happen. He went on and on for weeks about Chia most likely being back and it happened. He went on and on for weeks about how he thought McLellan would stay and it happened. He went on and on for weeks about how Hebers would go back to the U of A and Johnson would be gone and it happened. The only think he was on the fence about was Woodcroft and he even mentioned he wouldn't be surprised if he stayed. Supposedly the report are that Woodcroft could have stayed on the Oilers staff but they gave him the option to take the HC job in Bakersfield because he had expressed wanted to be a HC someday.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714438 is a reply to message #714437 ]
Tue, 08 May 2018 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 May 2018 11:35

I have heard the name Manny Viveiros's name mentioned a few times. He is a St. Albert guy who was supposedly a really good offensive junior dman that got a cup of coffee in the NHL but played lots in Europe. He did a bunch of coaching in Europe, even coached the Autrian Olympic team in 2014. He is currently the coach and GM of the Swift Current Bronco's who are in the WHL finals. One of the things he supposedly is really good at is PP. Gregor is pretty tapped in and has mentioned his name several times over the last few weeks. Stauffer keeps mentioning him nd has talked about how he was as a player and talked about his coaching resume in other leagues and as we know, he is the mouth piece of the Oilers. Stauffer had him on his show yesterday where he talked about the WHL playoffs, how good he is at the PP and then mentioned he has NHL interest.

Yawney who based on how many people both in Edmonton and outside of Edmonton keep linking him, seems to be a lock to be on the Oilers staff with his connections to McLellan and his specialty being defense and PK. I wonder if the hold up for announcing Yawney is they are also going to bring on Viveiros but don't want to announce it until the junior playoffs are over so they can do it together? I say that because usually if Stauffer starts talking about someone or something happening for a few weeks. he's basically bracing the fan base for what is about to happen. He went on and on for weeks about Chia most likely being back and it happened. He went on and on for weeks about how he thought McLellan would stay and it happened. He went on and on for weeks about how Hebers would go back to the U of A and Johnson would be gone and it happened. The only think he was on the fence about was Woodcroft and he even mentioned he wouldn't be surprised if he stayed. Supposedly the report are that Woodcroft could have stayed on the Oilers staff but they gave him the option to take the HC job in Bakersfield because he had expressed wanted to be a HC someday.

Just in case anyone had any doubts about how the Oilers reward failure...they gave their crappy assistant coach the choice of being assistant coach in the NHL or to go to the minors to help screw up their farm team too...

This team has no accountability. I'm not sure that new assistant coach hires are going to be able to fix that...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714441 is a reply to message #714438 ]
Tue, 08 May 2018 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

What if they got a new replay coach too?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714444 is a reply to message #714441 ]
Tue, 08 May 2018 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 08 May 2018 13:18

What if they got a new replay coach too?

I think that might do it. What do we promote the current replay coach to? Assistant coach in the ECHL? Goalie coach in Bakersfield?

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714445 is a reply to message #714444 ]
Tue, 08 May 2018 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Sommelier?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714446 is a reply to message #714445 ]
Tue, 08 May 2018 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Holy... I think you just figured out Howson's role.

Re: McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out [message #714449 is a reply to message #714446 ]
Tue, 08 May 2018 14:44 Go to previous message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 08 May 2018 13:11

Holy... I think you just figured out Howson's role.

But I hear he only recommends this:

http://www.lcbo.com/content/dam/lcbo/products/075689.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Previous Topic:Oilers select 6th rnd (#153) - TYLER VESEL
Next Topic:Slepyshev out
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca