Oilers » Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702214]
Fri, 10 November 2017 10:25 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Per Oilers twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/92903074519 6072960

When Peter Chiarelli is fired, Kevin Lowe will be involved in finding a replacement. Fire them all. Bring us REAL change.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702216 is a reply to message #702214 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 10:25

Per Oilers twitter.

Just gonna hope that Pulju isn't a 6-10 min/night guy within a couple games.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702218 is a reply to message #702214 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 11:25

Per Oilers twitter.

RW problems fixed.
Sarcasm aside I really hope for two things;
1. JP is at least ok on the ice and when he makes rookie mistakes TM doesnt make him the whipping boy or we will have another Yak on our hands
2. He is given a legit chunk of ice time with good hockey players. You cant put him with the likes of Letestu, Malone, Jussi and Khaira and expect him to develop, let alone produce. At least give him a fighting chance.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702224 is a reply to message #702214 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Hope Slepy isn't gone for too long. Is it the ankle again?

Puljujarvi man, make most of this call up. Having a solid rest of the road trip will do wonders for his confidence. Pull a Drai, son.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702233 is a reply to message #702214 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Ty Rattie would have been the better choice here, IMO.

A little older, so you don't ruin a very young hockey player's confidence.

Also, Rattie is leading Bakersfield in scoring.

Through 10 games:
Rattie: 6-3-9
Puljujarvi: 1-4-5

Puljujarvi isn't crushing it in the AHL and until he is, I don't want him struggling at the NHL level and ruining his confidence and creativity.

Here's hoping he comes in and does really well, but for me, I think Rattie was the smart choice for player development and someone to step in and contribute right away.

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702234 is a reply to message #702224 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 10:12

Hope Slepy isn't gone for too long. Is it the ankle again?

Puljujarvi man, make most of this call up. Having a solid rest of the road trip will do wonders for his confidence. Pull a Drai, son.

Heard it was groin, could be a long re-hab, probably groin the last time he was out as well, likely came back too early and pulled it in the 1st game.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702239 is a reply to message #702233 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 12:01

Here's hoping he comes in and does really well, but for me, I think Rattie was the smart choice for player development and someone to step in and contribute right away.

I agree, the whole knock on Puljujarvi is learning and adapting to the "North American Pro Game", Rattie has 0.67 PPG at the AHL level. He was 1.29 PPG at the WHL level.

There's a better option in Rattie while Puljujarvi can still get top line minutes down in Bakersfield.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702244 is a reply to message #702218 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 10:34

Per Oilers twitter.

RW problems fixed.
1. JP is at least ok on the ice and when he makes rookie mistakes TM doesnt make him the whipping boy or we will have another Yak on our hands
2. He is given a legit chunk of ice time with good hockey players. You cant put him with the likes of Letestu, Malone, Jussi and Khaira and expect him to develop, let alone produce. At least give him a fighting chance.

Yes to both. Hard to compare him to Yak in that the Oilers have thus far developed JP in the minors when he showed that there were some issues. I think some of that culture lingers with the Oilers, but it's largely gone from where it used to be, when management/coaching were in denial in terms of where the team was, and whether it was a good idea to try and develop Yak in the NHL when the team was going to be in the lottery anyway.

You might see him get his feet wet in a game against weaker competition, so that might see him in the bottom 6 to start. The coach likes to blend, though.

I hope he plays well.

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702253 is a reply to message #702244 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 15:40

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 10:34

Per Oilers twitter.

RW problems fixed.

Yes to both. Hard to compare him to Yak in that the Oilers have thus far developed JP in the minors when he showed that there were some issues. I think some of that culture lingers with the Oilers, but it's largely gone from where it used to be, when management/coaching were in denial in terms of where the team was, and whether it was a good idea to try and develop Yak in the NHL when the team was going to be in the lottery anyway.

You might see him get his feet wet in a game against weaker competition, so that might see him in the bottom 6 to start. The coach likes to blend, though.

I hope he plays well.

Good point on the Yak comparison. I was more comparing the talented non NA player, comes to a new style in a new country with lots of hype, and loses confidence, never to get it back.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702259 is a reply to message #702239 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 14:09

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 12:01

I agree, the whole knock on Puljujarvi is learning and adapting to the "North American Pro Game", Rattie has 0.67 PPG at the AHL level. He was 1.29 PPG at the WHL level.

There's a better option in Rattie while Puljujarvi can still get top line minutes down in Bakersfield.

Hmm I'm going to be optimistic and hope they give JP a short stint if he doesn't produce...maybe two games. But...Oilers....

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702627 is a reply to message #702214 ]
Wed, 15 November 2017 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Pulju has been good so far in his 3 games back. Looks like he is getting some of the skating big circles out of his game and doing more stop/starts, trying to get into the play quicker. Nice goal too of course in the first game.

That said, nothing is more impressive than how he can do this:

https://i.imgur.com/iWm7OFz.gif

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702628 is a reply to message #702627 ]
Wed, 15 November 2017 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 15 November 2017 16:42

Pulju has been good so far in his 3 games back. Looks like he is getting some of the skating big circles out of his game and doing more stop/starts, trying to get into the play quicker. Nice goal too of course in the first game.

I think he may get a few dates out of that gif :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702631 is a reply to message #702628 ]
Wed, 15 November 2017 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 15 November 2017 18:08

...or not..

Re: Slepyshev to IR, Puljuljarvi called up [message #702666 is a reply to message #702631 ]
Thu, 16 November 2017 10:26 Go to previous message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 15 November 2017 18:16

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 15 November 2017 18:08

...or not..

good point!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Pregame: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #19)
Next Topic:Review: Las Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca