This day on September 20
None

Happy Birthday To: dk19, mabfan, nemorrison, oilfan94, hackm, oilchamp_34, kev9in, SuperOilerFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers get Ference
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers get Ference [message #602668]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:12 Go to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

1 Cup

$4 years $3.25/yr

Don't mind the dollars. Not liking the term. 2 years would have been safer at his age.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2013 10:14]

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602672 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

That's a bit long for my taste, but oh well. He's still very solid, competes hard and hopefully rubs off on our young D prospects. I would feel better pairing him with a young newb than N.Schultz.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602676 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

2 Cups

This doesn't make us better, and in 2 years will probably end up making us worse.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602683 is a reply to message #602676 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

hmc wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 10:17

This doesn't make us better, and in 2 years will probably end up making us worse.

I disagree, we have lacked compete for years and that is all this guy does. I would have preferred 2-3 yrs but you need to pay to win. I think he is a #4 guy for the next couple of years then 5/6 and 7 in the last 2 years.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602688 is a reply to message #602683 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

ChasinStanley wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 12:22

I disagree, we have lacked compete for years and that is all this guy does. I would have preferred 2-3 yrs but you need to pay to win. I think he is a #4 guy for the next couple of years then 5/6 and 7 in the last 2 years.

I value "ability to play hockey" over "compete", which isn't really a real thing. Ference is fine as a 5-6 guy. If we're expecting more from him then we're in trouble. Doesn't matter how hard he competes, he'll get torched by top lines (as he has done for the last 2 years, on a good team).

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602689 is a reply to message #602676 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Can you please explain this? I like your analysis.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602692 is a reply to message #602683 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

ChasinStanley wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 10:22

IF he can withstand the rigors and play to the end of this contract, it will be a good signing. He'll be the veteran who can cushion the learning curves of all the young D that we will be bringing in during the next 4 years.

If he doesn't make it the entire 4 years, hopefully he's good enough for 2 years and we only have to buy out year 4 on the end after he struggles in year 3.

Justin Bourne ‏@jtbourne

Like the Ference signing for Edmonton. Reasonable bucks for a guy who plays tough, works hard, keeps himself in great shape.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2013 10:30]

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602694 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Sounds like he got a No Trade Clause.

I hope the Oilers aren't going down this road. Having a dozen guys with NTC killed the Flames.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602696 is a reply to message #602689 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 12:25

If we're slotting him in as a #5 for the next 2 years, he can probably tread water. After that though the extra term and his age makes it a tough bet. He played less than 20 minutes a game last year, and didn't do all that well. If we're planning on giving him more than 20 minutes a night, then that's another tough bet. Basically, we're expecting that a 34 year old defenseman, with extra ice time and tougher minutes will make us a better team. You don't need advanced stats to make the leap that it's unlikely that will happen. But, if you want to include advanced stats, then you can probably shift the expectation from "unlikely to succeed" to "possibly a train wreck".

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602697 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BObERPvCAAMiPyP.png:large

Andrew Ference was an Oiler a long time ago...

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2013 10:36]

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602698 is a reply to message #602694 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 10:31

Sounds like he got a No Trade Clause.

I hope the Oilers aren't going down this road. Having a dozen guys with NTC killed the Flames.

Doh, we didn't have any NMC/NTC yesterday after trading Horc :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602739 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Don't hate the signing. A little long and little higher, but nothing that will cripple the club. All reports are that Ference is a absolute professional, extremely hard worker, and great in the room. He's been a Stanley Cup winner, and still has some game in him (if not overworked).

There's got to be another deal in place though, doesn't there? Ference is another Bottom-4 guy, and we've got two of those on the left side in Ladislav Smid and Nick Schultz. Unless the Oilers are planning on using one of those guys as a top-pairing defensemen... which isn't a good idea.

________ / J. Schultz
Smid / Petry
Ference / Larsen
Belov

OKC: Klefbom, Fedun, Potter, Marincin, Gernat, Davidson, Musil

Got to think Nick Schultz (or maybe Ladislav Smid) is on their way out of town. Hopefully as part of a package for a true top-pairing guy.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602740 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

A bit long on term, but I still love the signing.

Hopefully this paves the way to a quantity for quality trade to upgrade either at center or top 4 dmen.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602747 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

That's mighty expensive and way too long for a 3rd pairing d-man. I guess this is what we can call bold now.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602753 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

No Cups

Good signing for the $$$, but maybe a year too long. I hope he doesn't fall prey to the YEG hometown boy curse. The only one to resist IMO was Messier.

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602763 is a reply to message #602696 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

hmc wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 10:32

Magnum wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 12:25

If we're slotting him in as a #5 for the next 2 years, he can probably tread water. After that though the extra term and his age makes it a tough bet. He played less than 20 minutes a game last year, and didn't do all that well. If we're planning on giving him more than 20 minutes a night, then that's another tough bet. Basically, we're expecting that a 34 year old defenseman, with extra ice time and tougher minutes will make us a better team. You don't need advanced stats to make the leap that it's unlikely that will happen. But, if you want to include advanced stats, then you can probably shift the expectation from "unlikely to succeed" to "possibly a train wreck".

Thanks!

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602766 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

One year would have been great. Two would have been acceptable. But four years? I'll be surprised if plays that long. The young prospects will pass him by. I think this signing was more for his leadership than anything. Does seem like a logjam on LD, with none of them suitable for the first pairing.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602804 is a reply to message #602747 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rjayd2  is currently offline rjayd2

No Cups

MJ wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 11:05

That's mighty expensive and way too long for a 3rd pairing d-man. I guess this is what we can call bold now.

#4 (#3 in the playoffs) d-man on Stanley Cup winning/finalist Boston Bruins -- bottom pairing d-man on the Edmonton Oilers.

Okay.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602806 is a reply to message #602766 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Principe'ed:

The Oilers weren't on the Ference when it came to signing Andrew.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602819 is a reply to message #602804 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

rjayd2 wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 10:42

#4 (#3 in the playoffs) d-man on Stanley Cup winning/finalist Boston Bruins -- bottom pairing d-man on the Edmonton Oilers.

Okay.

Yeap, he's #3/4 on the Bruins for total ice time and PK ice time. Regular season and playoffs. stanley Cup Finals twice, Cup once. Behind Chara, Seisenberg, Boychuk.

For the Oilers he could be a top pairing guy given our mediocre defence. Veteran presence with Jr Schultz?

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602831 is a reply to message #602819 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 11:52

Yeap, he's #3/4 on the Bruins for total ice time and PK ice time. Regular season and playoffs. stanley Cup Finals twice, Cup once. Behind Chara, Seisenberg, Boychuk.

For the Oilers he could be a top pairing guy given our mediocre defence. Veteran presence with Jr Schultz?

I mean, the goal isn't to ice the worst blueline in the NHL, so I hope that the goal is to try and get closer to the Bruins than to last year's Oilers. Let's not lower the bar here... with his age increasing, Ference SHOULD be a 3rd pairing guy and the Oilers SHOULD be looking for a Top-pairing guy as opposed to praying one of Smid, N.Schultz, and Ference don't get owned in that position.

I think where this signing gets tricky is in three years. At that point we'll likely have both Nurse and Klefbom as NHL regulars on the left side, and Smid and Ference will both be under contract (this doesn't account for Marincin, Gernat or others knocking on the door). Let's say we want to add another Top-pairing guy (Kulikov or Gardiner or Coburn for example)... they'll also be under contract.

In three years we could have:

________ / J.Schultz
Klefbom / Petry
Nurse / Larsen (or Fedun)
Ference

One would think Smid is a prime candidate to be moved this year or next, but what do you do with Ference? Keep him in the pressbox at 3.25/season?

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602841 is a reply to message #602831 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 12:08

I mean, the goal isn't to ice the worst blueline in the NHL, so I hope that the goal is to try and get closer to the Bruins than to last year's Oilers. Let's not lower the bar here... with his age increasing, Ference SHOULD be a 3rd pairing guy and the Oilers SHOULD be looking for a Top-pairing guy as opposed to praying one of Smid, N.Schultz, and Ference don't get owned in that position.

I think where this signing gets tricky is in three years. At that point we'll likely have both Nurse and Klefbom as NHL regulars on the left side, and Smid and Ference will both be under contract (this doesn't account for Marincin, Gernat or others knocking on the door). Let's say we want to add another Top-pairing guy (Kulikov or Gardiner or Coburn for example)... they'll also be under contract.

________ / J.Schultz
Klefbom / Petry
Ference

One would think Smid is a prime candidate to be moved this year or next, but what do you do with Ference? Keep him in the pressbox at 3.25/season?

What if Belov is good?

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602844 is a reply to message #602831 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rjayd2  is currently offline rjayd2

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 12:08

________ / J.Schultz
Klefbom / Petry
Ference

These icetime stats nullterm and I are referencing aren't from three years ago - they are from just this past year. You really believe there is going to be that dramatic a drop-off in his play in a single year based on his proven pedigree with an elite team the past four years?

I'm not touting him as an elite defenceman but this is a very good, realistic signing for this team. I can't see how there is anything to complain about.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602846 is a reply to message #602841 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 14:16

What if Belov is good?

Fortunately about half our roster next year is based on "What-ifs", so at least one of them will be, hopefully.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602848 is a reply to message #602804 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

rjayd2 wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 11:42

Okay.

Clearly I should have looked up some numbers on this. Happy to see the corrections on my unfounded opinion. Those knee-jerk reactions are the #1 cause of concussions on this forum, and oh yes indeed, I've been victim to a few over the years.

If he's stablizing the 2nd pairing, I'm not going to fret about the price. The term is long, but at least if he retired, this gets off our cap (Note: is this still true in the current CBA -- the 35 year old rule?). I feel I'm out of my element today!!

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602859 is a reply to message #602753 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

In my opinion Spruce Grove is every bit as local as St. Albert, isn't it? confused2

.... Fuhrsie

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602899 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goalpost  is currently offline goalpost

No Cups

IMHO, ever since the Oilers lost Sutton they lost an important competitive veteran voice on the back end.

By all accounts Ference is very professional both on and off the ice and throughout the year [apparently in great shape], very competitive, and a veteran that has played on several teams and most importantly won a Cup.

Fulfills a role the Oilers need as Ference has been there and done it and has the ring to show for it.

The term may be a year [or two] to long, but the Oilers have not had veteran leadership for years and Ference should provide this being one of the most credible competitive veterans the Oilers have had in their dressing room in a long long long time.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602904 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

And he has a sense of humor

Renaissance 2015

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602905 is a reply to message #602899 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

goalpost wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 14:00

By all accounts Ference is very professional both on and off the ice and throughout the year

Giving the finger to the Montreal fans is professional?
Criticizing your own teammate (Paille) for a questionable hit to the media is professional?

Look. I bleed Oil blue as much as anyone here, and I'll cheer hard for Ference now that he's an Oiler, but he doesn't have a sterling reputation and just because Oil fans have heard his name throughout the playoffs, the expectations are unreasonably high.

I have heard he's a solid guy in the community, which is nice, but I want more winning, not more photo ops.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602907 is a reply to message #602905 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 14:15

By all accounts Ference is very professional both on and off the ice and throughout the year

Criticizing your own teammate (Paille) for a questionable hit to the media is professional?

Look. I bleed Oil blue as much as anyone here, and I'll cheer hard for Ference now that he's an Oiler, but he doesn't have a sterling reputation and just because Oil fans have heard his name throughout the playoffs, the expectations are unreasonably high.

I have heard he's a solid guy in the community, which is nice, but I want more winning, not more photo ops.

Moreau was a great guy in the community too, and he was still a bum. I hope that had nothing to do with his signing. We need awesome guys, who cares how many people like them and how many trees they save or plant. Advice from David Suzuki doesn't make players better, skill and hunger do. Nice guys finish last, but awesome guys finish on he_ _ace.

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602910 is a reply to message #602848 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

Yes, it's still the same- http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-a-35-plus-contract. I had the same concern and checked it out right away. Given this, I'm not fretting over the term of the contract.

Based on who he was playing behind in Boston last year, and who he'll likely be playing with this year, I'm going to suggest that Ferrence should be considered as a 1st or 2nd line defenceman. We have a quantity of defencemen right now, he just improved our overall quality of defence.

Drew Remanda said on Fri, 28 October 2016 21:09

You should never listen to me, I'm not that smart.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602932 is a reply to message #602905 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goalpost  is currently offline goalpost

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 14:15

I guess I should clarify -- professional in the context that: he is apparently in great shape [off ice], and from what I saw of the playoffs he competes and performs in difficult games and situations [on ice].

He is a veteran player that has won a stanley cup, competes hard and can play in physical games, all of which has been missing from the Oilers for many many years.

As for his reputation -- I'm not certain what his reputation is in the dressing room -- which is what is of importance -- although the articles below start to address it.

I am hopeful that Ference fulfills the role of a competitive veteran that has credibility because of his experience which includes a cup, again, a veteran role which has been noticeably absent from this team for years.

As for the Paille situation.
I don't share Don Cherry and Mike Millbury's opinion on the matter.
To be fair -- I generally find that I don't agree with almost anything those gentlemen opine to.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/02/ 08/the_call_here_bruins_ference_a_stand_up_defenseman/

From the article:

Quote:

Recchi said, “It’s a tough one. We’re trying to take those hits away from the game, and like Andrew says, you can’t really be hypocritical because it is your teammate. We all know Danny Paille. He’s the nicest guy in the world and would never intentionally hurt anybody. It’s just one of those hits where you have to learn, as players, to avoid.

“Andrew’s our teammate. They’re great teammates and they’ve got each other’s back. Andrew was speaking in the emotion after the game. It’s unfortunate that he’s taking the heat for this. Andrew’s been a great teammate and great to all of us. He’d have Danny’s back any day.

There’s plenty of evidence to support the notion that Ference is always there to defend his teammates on the ice.

This was different. This called for somebody to say “not OK’’ — even if talking about a teammate.

Andrew Ference was the guy.

Edit -- Just looked at my original post.

This is what I said in full.

Quote:

By all accounts Ference is very professional both on and off the ice and throughout the year [apparently in great shape], very competitive, and a veteran that has played on several teams and most importantly won a Cup.

So I probably didn't need to clarify as I touched on what I felt was important.

As for the Montreal situation.
He's apologized. Numerous times.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/andrew-ference-admits-to- middle-finger-montreal-canadiens-boston/

Perhaps most importantly -- before and since -- he has been incident free AND his teammates speak well of him.

Finally -- as for expectations -- I expect him to assist in increasing the competitiveness of the Oilers, play a 3/4 D role [which he did on Boston] and be a veteran leader in the dressing room.

I think all of those expectations are reasonable.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2013 15:45]

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #602996 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Le Chiffre  is currently offline Le Chiffre

No Cups

A good signing IMO, but the price seems steep in a way. I don't think MacT had choice. This is the going rate. Adding someone with valuable playoff experience will help this team.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #603002 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

My thoughts? Too much for too long for a depth defenceman, which is all you can count on Ference to be at this point in his career. He has always seemed like a great guy, and is more likely to read this than just about any other Oiler - he was a (occasional) contributing member of Calgary Puck during his time as a Flame - but when I'm deciding how much and how long to pay defencemen, I'm not looking at their community contributions or how they engage fans. "Character" is one of the most over-hyped things in hockey. It isn't measurable, doesn't win games, and means different things to different people. If I'm a hockey GM, I realize that there's probably a judgement error that comes with paying someone on such a nebulous thing.

As for the fact that if he retires he's off the books, I think I'd be more worried about him not retiring if he's no good anymore. He's at the age when physical defencemen deteriorate rapidly. Anyone remember how quickly Jason Smith went from part of a first pairing to unable to keep up to NHL players? If Ference loses a step and truffles, he counts against the cap. If we sit him in the press box, he counts against the cap. If we demote him to the minors, he counts against the cap. Life after hockey isn't likely to be filled with endorsement deals, so barring a career-ending injury, I expect Ference will want to play out every moment of this deal, whether he's good bad or ugly out there.

As it sits, a J. Schultz, Petry, Smid, Ference Top-4 is not a playoff team defence corps. We need another strong defenceman to knock Ference on to the 3rd pairing if we hope to be competitive.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #603005 is a reply to message #603002 ]
Fri, 05 July 2013 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 July 2013 20:27

As it sits, a J. Schultz, Petry, Smid, Ference Top-4 is not a playoff team defence corps. We need another strong defenceman to knock Ference on to the 3rd pairing if we hope to be competitive.

I'm curious, where do you think Schultz, Petry, Smid would fit on the Bruins?

Cause Ference was #4 guy for minutes/game regular season on a team that went to the SCF.

1. Chara
2. Seidenberg
3. Boychuck
4. Ference
5. Hamilton
6. Krug

I have a hard time seeing any Oiler cracking the top pairing, even the second pairing. Even our best current Oiler dman I can't see any further than 3rd pairing on the Bruins.

Keeping in mind, Schultz and Petry still have a long way to go to hit their prime.

Petry & Schultz led the Oilers for minutes/game, but if you got Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk on the bench then they're getting a few minutes shaved off their ice time for the big boys to play.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2013 21:55]

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #603015 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Video of some of Ference's highlights as a Bruin. Really like the one where Ference is dragging Subban around while Subban is turtling/playing dead.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #603016 is a reply to message #603015 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Every Youtube clip I watch of Ference, I think "This guy is one nasty lil SOB, are you really sure he's gonna be an Oiler?!?"

This team has been so devoid of that nasty attitude for so long, it almost seems like a foreign concept.

Hall's developing nasty streak, Brown, now Ference. Still not enough, but it's progress. Should give Peckham one last shot.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 July 2013 02:03]

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #603024 is a reply to message #603015 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Despite being somewhat critical of the signing, that montage is promising. The Subban clip is a thing of beauty.

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #603062 is a reply to message #603024 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

OK I'm a little more optimistic, I like his gumption

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/boniman/zamboni2.gif

Re: Oilers get Ference [message #603063 is a reply to message #602668 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

4 Cups

The one thing that this signing does that I think shouldn't be overlooked is give the Oilers a little more flexibility.

If a team like Philadelphia is asking for Smid for a top-pairing defensemen, we can make that trade now. Before it would be filling one hole, creating another.

It also gives us options regarding Nick Schultz, Anton Belov, and Ladislav Smid for next season. I think we can safely assume that Oscar Klefbom will be an Oiler next season, so the Oilers can either let Nick Schutz and/or Anton Belov walk if they are asking for more than we want to pay; or if we want to sign one or both of them, Smid can be traded to address other issues.

There's no question that there is a logjam back there, but what it does provide is some options that we didn't really have before based on necessity.

I'm okay with the signing. Ference is a good bet and the depth his addition brings makes the team stronger.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers sign Nurse
Next Topic:30 in 30: Oilers preview on NHL.com
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca