This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2022 Training camp thread
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2022 Training camp thread [message #812094]
Fri, 23 September 2022 01:09 Go to next message
benv is currently online benv

No Cups

The Oilers have cut down from on their training camp invites. After inviting 61 players last year, they invited just 52 this time.

So 52 men enter, but only 23 (or less) will survive:

Goalies (5): Campbell, Fanti, Pickard, Rodrigue, Skinner

Defensemen (17) : Barrie, Bouchard, Broberg, Ceci, Demers, Desharnais, Kaldis, Kemp, Kesslering, Kielb, Kulak, Murray, Niemelainen, Nurse, Peters, Samorukov, Wanner

Forwards (30): Bailey, Benson, Borgault, Chiasson, Draisaitl, Esposito, Foegele, Griffith, Hamblin, Holloway, Hyman, Janmark, Kambeitz, Kane, Lavoie, Malone, McDavid, McKegg, McLeod, Nugent-Hopkins, Petrov, Philp, Puljujarvi, Ryan, Savoie, Schaefer, Shore, Tullio, Virtanen, Yamamoto

For some reason, I love the pre-season and seeing how some of these guys perform. Let the games begin.

One thing of note--they have 5 defenseman whose name starts with "K"; I insist they get one more and dress an entire "K" defense for a pre-season game.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2022 09:59]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812095 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Fri, 23 September 2022 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 23 September 2022 04:09

One thing of note--they have 5 defenseman whose name starts with "K"; I insist they get one more and dress and entire "K" defense for a pre-season game.

Just need Koekkoek back from his mental health break (I didn't even know that was his status until I looked)

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812100 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Fri, 23 September 2022 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Murray?

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812103 is a reply to message #812095 ]
Fri, 23 September 2022 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 23 September 2022 05:44

benv wrote on Fri, 23 September 2022 04:09

One thing of note--they have 5 defenseman whose name starts with "K"; I insist they get one more and dress and entire "K" defense for a pre-season game.

Just need Koekkoek back from his mental health break (I didn't even know that was his status until I looked)

Ooh--good call. Get 'er done.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812104 is a reply to message #812100 ]
Fri, 23 September 2022 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 23 September 2022 09:48

Murray?

That would be 2012 2nd overall pick Ryan, reporting ten years later.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812107 is a reply to message #812104 ]
Fri, 23 September 2022 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yes - I somehow missed it in scanning the list - getting old I guess... icon_smile

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812111 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Fri, 23 September 2022 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Of interest, here are the lines they are running for the main guys who have a chance to make the team:

Kane – McDavid – Yamamoto
Hyman – Draisaitl – Puljujarvi
RNH – McLeod – Foegele
Holloway – Malone – Virtanen
Janmark – Shore – Ryan

Nurse - Wanner (fill in for the injured Ceci)
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Barrie

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812114 is a reply to message #812111 ]
Sat, 24 September 2022 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

benv wrote on Fri, 23 September 2022 22:01

Of interest, here are the lines they are running for the main guys who have a chance to make the team:

RNH – McLeod – Foegele
Janmark – Shore – Ryan

Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Barrie

No real surprises there.
- sounds like Ceci is just a hammy tweak. Hopefully nothing recurring. I am happy to be wrong on him as he was much better than I had anticipated last year.
- I know the lines arent set in stone but that top 9 makes me much happier than any year in the last couple decades. Lots of flexibility and mixes of speed and skill. Win or lose this will be a fun team to watch.
- It will be nice if Kulak can be a stabilizing force with Bouchard. That will really allow Bouch to develop with less pressure and worry that every mistake will be a GA.
- That third pairing is the opposite. I am hoping Barrie is at least one step up from a tire fire or else Broberg is in for a tough go. Broberg likes to skate with the puck , that inherently leads to more odd man rushes against and Barrie isn't exactly the one I want back in that situation.
- Holloway being NHL ready would be a solid boost as a good cheap rookie deal is always nice to have contributing.
- I sure hope Virtanen doesn't make the team. Between him screwing over Team Canada at the WJHC and playing for the Canucks I don't want him on this team and that is before my opinions on him as a human.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812115 is a reply to message #812114 ]
Sat, 24 September 2022 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 24 September 2022 00:06

benv wrote on Fri, 23 September 2022 22:01

RNH – McLeod – Foegele
Janmark – Shore – Ryan

Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Barrie

No real surprises there.
- sounds like Ceci is just a hammy tweak. Hopefully nothing recurring. I am happy to be wrong on him as he was much better than I had anticipated last year.
- I know the lines arent set in stone but that top 9 makes me much happier than any year in the last couple decades. Lots of flexibility and mixes of speed and skill. Win or lose this will be a fun team to watch.
- It will be nice if Kulak can be a stabilizing force with Bouchard. That will really allow Bouch to develop with less pressure and worry that every mistake will be a GA.
- That third pairing is the opposite. I am hoping Barrie is at least one step up from a tire fire or else Broberg is in for a tough go. Broberg likes to skate with the puck , that inherently leads to more odd man rushes against and Barrie isn't exactly the one I want back in that situation.
- Holloway being NHL ready would be a solid boost as a good cheap rookie deal is always nice to have contributing.
- I sure hope Virtanen doesn't make the team. Between him screwing over Team Canada at the WJHC and playing for the Canucks I don't want him on this team and that is before my opinions on him as a human.

Not sure what to do with that 3rd pair. Broberg being the defensive conscience of a D pair does not appeal to me much. If he is not up to it, the 3rd pair could end up an easy target for teams.

Excited to see that 2nd D pair in action.

Cheering for Holloway for sure. Would not be mad if he developed longer though. Might be a good situation in the AHL to load him with confidence playing loads of minutes and he can come in later in the season and hit the ground running in a bottom 6 spot.

Virtanen could surprise. He actually had a good season in 19/20. By his standards at least, still a bonehead in many ways. Then everything went off the rails. Guess we'll see how badly he wants back in the league.

Saw someone trying to calculate the cap hit for this team where it ended up with us having around $100 of cap space left :) Too bad it will make the deadline a bore.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Preseason game 1: Jets at Oilers [message #812122 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Sun, 25 September 2022 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Game about to start: Oilers dressing a relatively star-free lineup:

Forwards

Foegele – McLeod – Puljujarvi
Benson – Hamblin – Bourgault
Schaefer – Philp – Chiasson

Defence

Kulak – Bouchard
Niemelainen – Demers
Murray – Samorukov

Goalies

Skinner
Pickard

[Updated on: Sun, 25 September 2022 16:48]

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812123 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Sun, 25 September 2022 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Hey, this game is being shown down here on NHL Network!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812125 is a reply to message #812123 ]
Sun, 25 September 2022 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Sun, 25 September 2022 16:10

Hey, this game is being shown down here on NHL Network!

I'm guessing preseason Oilers won't be broadcast here unless they play Leafs or Canucks. Thanks for the caring, Sportsnet.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812127 is a reply to message #812125 ]
Sun, 25 September 2022 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

oilers.nhl.com
Oil up 1-0 end of 2nd

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812131 is a reply to message #812127 ]
Sun, 25 September 2022 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

McLeod, Niemelainen, Bouchard, Holloway & Philp (who?) looking good. No one else really standing out to me. Both goalies looking solid.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812132 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Sun, 25 September 2022 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Watched part of the game, some observations;
- JP and Bouch looked like they were in neutral most of the game. Not what I want to see from vets who are expected to take steps this season.
- Holloway looked like an NHL player. I wouldnt write his name in pen yet as might still benefit from big minutes in the minors but I don't think he will be out of place if needed on the big team.
- Bourgault and Schaefer both need more time, both looked a long ways away
- Foegle and Benson looked faster. Maybe it was the slower pace of a preseason game but they definitely looked better.
- Niemo looked good. Played physical and aggressive without overcommitting and causing chances against.
- Samurukov is confusing to me. Seems like a different player every shift. One he is skating well and making good decisions, the next he looks like it's his first game at a new position.
- no one else stood out, good or bad, in the time I watched.
- on that note, I made a point to try and find Virtanen when he was on the ice. He was so inconsequential that they would show him going for a change and I didn't realize he had been out there. One game but on a squad of mid NHL'ers, prospects and AHL'ers he definitely looked part of the third group, not first like would expect given his age and experience.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812133 is a reply to message #812132 ]
Sun, 25 September 2022 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 25 September 2022 20:28

Watched part of the game, some observations;
- JP and Bouch looked like they were in neutral most of the game. Not what I want to see from vets who are expected to take steps this season.
- Holloway looked like an NHL player. I wouldnt write his name in pen yet as might still benefit from big minutes in the minors but I don't think he will be out of place if needed on the big team.
- Bourgault and Schaefer both need more time, both looked a long ways away
- Foegle and Benson looked faster. Maybe it was the slower pace of a preseason game but they definitely looked better.
- Niemo looked good. Played physical and aggressive without overcommitting and causing chances against.
- Samurukov is confusing to me. Seems like a different player every shift. One he is skating well and making good decisions, the next he looks like it's his first game at a new position.
- no one else stood out, good or bad, in the time I watched.
- on that note, I made a point to try and find Virtanen when he was on the ice. He was so inconsequential that they would show him going for a change and I didn't realize he had been out there. One game but on a squad of mid NHL'ers, prospects and AHL'ers he definitely looked part of the third group, not first like would expect given his age and experience.

From the look if it, Virtanen may have let his game slide permanently. I get that maybe stress of his situation might toss him off his game for a year or so, but he looked like a mid-tier AHLer out there. If he wants back in the NHL, maybe the AHL where he needs to be looking to sign to prove himself.

Holloway, dang, kid wants it. Hope he keeps it up.

Skinner looked really good I thought.

Lots of guys going through the motions on both sides. Some that really should be bringing all they have. Bouch and Kulak looked ok together. Some chemistry needs to develop still on how to play their end.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812136 is a reply to message #812133 ]
Mon, 26 September 2022 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

If you're Virtanen, maybe that's exactly what you're hoping for at this point. A contract to play hockey for a job. NHL would be nice, but will settle for a two way. Otherwise, it's car sales time.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812139 is a reply to message #812136 ]
Mon, 26 September 2022 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 26 September 2022 09:33

If you're Virtanen, maybe that's exactly what you're hoping for at this point. A contract to play hockey for a job. NHL would be nice, but will settle for a two way. Otherwise, it's car sales time.

Normally I would say a job in law enforcement, but he might be screened out for policing. You are probably correct. A job in sales is imminent.

Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812143 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Mon, 26 September 2022 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Looks like the Oilers have taken an even more inexperienced line-up than they dressed last night down to Seattle for tonight's game:

Janmark - Shore - Ryan
Benson - Hamblin - Yamamoto
Schaefer - McKegg - Virtanen
Esposito - Philp - Griffith

Broberg - Barrie
Niemelainen - Wanner
Peters - Kesselring

Rodrigue
Fanti

Yamamoto on the second line with Benson and Hamblin (replacing Bourgault from yesterday) is interesting. I was trying to think of hockey reasons for this when it dawned on me that Yamo is a local boy (from nearby Spokane anyway, along with Ryan) and they're probably giving him an extra opportunity to play in front of friends and family.

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812146 is a reply to message #812143 ]
Tue, 27 September 2022 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

A couple of youngsters have been assigned to their WHL clubs, per Lowetide and others. Reid Schafer returns to Seattle and Max Wanner returns to Moose Jaw. Both need a lot of work, but they have youth on their side.

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812147 is a reply to message #812146 ]
Tue, 27 September 2022 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 27 September 2022 10:04

A couple of youngsters have been assigned to their WHL clubs, per Lowetide and others. Reid Schafer returns to Seattle and Max Wanner returns to Moose Jaw. Both need a lot of work, but they have youth on their side.

Jake Chiasson was also sent back to Brandon after Sunday's game. He's probably a longer shot to become a player than these two.

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812152 is a reply to message #812147 ]
Tue, 27 September 2022 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Hearing for Melanson for the dirty hit on Hamblin.

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-kraken-jacob-melanson-hearing-int erference-illegal-check-to-the-head-1.1854526

"Melanson, a fifth-round pick (131st overall) by the Kraken at the 2021 NHL Draft, is entering his first professional season after playing three seasons in the QMJHL with the Quebec Remparts and Acadie-Bathurst Titan.

Hamblin, 23, had 35 points in 64 games last season with the Bakersfield Condors, Edmonton's AHL affiliate. "

Hope this isn't any kind of set back for Hamblin. He's a bit of a late bloomer but I've been pleasantly surprised by the way he plays so far.

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812153 is a reply to message #812152 ]
Tue, 27 September 2022 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 27 September 2022 13:06

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-kraken-jacob-melanson-hearing-int erference-illegal-check-to-the-head-1.1854526

"Melanson, a fifth-round pick (131st overall) by the Kraken at the 2021 NHL Draft, is entering his first professional season after playing three seasons in the QMJHL with the Quebec Remparts and Acadie-Bathurst Titan.

Hamblin, 23, had 35 points in 64 games last season with the Bakersfield Condors, Edmonton's AHL affiliate. "

Hope this isn't any kind of set back for Hamblin. He's a bit of a late bloomer but I've been pleasantly surprised by the way he plays so far.

I think Hamblin played after.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812154 is a reply to message #812153 ]
Tue, 27 September 2022 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 September 2022 17:05

Matt Cooke gave that blindside headshot 2 thumbs up!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/82/b9/b4/82b9b4fb541be367c829720dc9c612d5--some-nights-hockey.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812159 is a reply to message #812152 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Two pre-season games is Melanson's "punishment."

Given that the hit was not only an illegal check to the head, but was also pretty clearly interference (the puck was long gone), that's a pretty lenient penalty.

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812161 is a reply to message #812154 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 September 2022 16:09

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/82/b9/b4/82b9b4fb541be367c829720dc9c612d5--some-nights-hockey.jpg

That's so awesome.. the one downside of the Tkchuk trade is the probability of getting a similar photo with Kane's fist knocking Tkchuk's face sideways is a lot lower..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812162 is a reply to message #812161 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 28 September 2022 12:51

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 September 2022 16:09

That's so awesome.. the one downside of the Tkchuk trade is the probability of getting a similar photo with Kane's fist knocking Tkchuk's face sideways is a lot lower..

lol. I was looking for a smiling Cooke picture and that beauty came up. Had to post it. He's kinda showing a toothy grin there, no? :)

Hopefully Kane can find someone else to pound on the Lames.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pre-season game 2: Oilers at Kraken (8pm MDT) [message #812164 is a reply to message #812162 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 September 2022 12:02

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 28 September 2022 12:51

lol. I was looking for a smiling Cooke picture and that beauty came up. Had to post it. He's kinda showing a toothy grin there, no? :)

Hopefully Kane can find someone else to pound on the Lames.

No shortage of candidates.. I think Kadri will get some attention.. but likely won't engage.. I'd love to see Kane knock Rasmus Andersson's face sideways 135 degrees

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Pre-season game 3: Oilers at Flames, 7pm (MDT) [message #812167 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

For the third game in a row, the Oilers are sitting out all the big boys:

Holloway-McLeod-Foegele
Janmark-Shore-Ryan
Benson-Malone-Virtanen
Esposito-McKegg-Petrov/Kambietz

Murray-Barrie
Niemelainen-Demers
Samorukov-Kemp

Pickard
Skinner

They'll be in for a challenge as it looks like the Flames will ice practically their full NHL lineup:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Backlund-Kadri-Coleman
Lucic-Rooney-Lewis
Sutter-Bishop-McLain

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Solovyov-Stone

Markstrom
Wolf

I kind of like these games--the Oilers have almost nothing to lose. A win will be a nice rub it in the Flames' faces moment as our B-team beat their A-team; while a loss is no shame since we were missing our top two lines, top four D, and our starting goalie. It's actually not that surprising to see a win in this situation since the Oilers lineup obviously has a lot more to prove.

Re: Pre-season game 3: Oilers at Flames, 7pm (MDT) [message #812168 is a reply to message #812167 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Why do the Oilers schedule 8 exhibition games? Will anything happen in these first 3 games that makes the team better this year? It's a complete waste and does nothing but create risk. Shorten the schedule, give season ticket holders a break, and focus on the things that matter.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pre-season game 3: Oilers at Flames, 7pm (MDT) [message #812169 is a reply to message #812167 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 28 September 2022 16:29

Holloway-McLeod-Foegele
Janmark-Shore-Ryan
Benson-Malone-Virtanen

Murray-Barrie
Niemelainen-Demers
Samorukov-Kemp

Pickard
Skinner

They'll be in for a challenge as it looks like the Flames will ice practically their full NHL lineup:

Backlund-Kadri-Coleman
Lucic-Rooney-Lewis
Sutter-Bishop-McLain

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Solovyov-Stone

Markstrom
Wolf

I kind of like these games--the Oilers have almost nothing to lose. A win will be a nice rub it in the Flames' faces moment as our B-team beat their A-team; while a loss is no shame since we were missing our top two lines, top four D, and our starting goalie. It's actually not that surprising to see a win in this situation since the Oilers lineup obviously has a lot more to prove.

I'll be pretty positive about our season if we win this game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pre-season game 3: Oilers at Flames, 7pm (MDT) [message #812171 is a reply to message #812169 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 28 September 2022 16:16

benv wrote on Wed, 28 September 2022 16:29

Holloway-McLeod-Foegele
Janmark-Shore-Ryan
Benson-Malone-Virtanen

Murray-Barrie
Niemelainen-Demers
Samorukov-Kemp

Pickard
Skinner

Backlund-Kadri-Coleman
Lucic-Rooney-Lewis
Sutter-Bishop-McLain

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Solovyov-Stone

Markstrom
Wolf

I'll be pretty positive about our season if we win this game.

I'll be most interested in Nemo, Sammy, Murray, Holloway.. maybe Janmark (want to see why they signed him)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812172 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Demers looking like he's done.

Mcleod is awesome.. great speed.. blew by some stiff Flame d-man like he was standing still.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2022 20:24]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812173 is a reply to message #812172 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 28 September 2022 20:21

Demers looking like he's done.

Still, nice of him to dress tonight against the Lames starting lineup.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812174 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Wed, 28 September 2022 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Flames vets looked pretty weak vs mostly AHL'ers + 1 OHL player..

Sammy looked better on his left side.
Holloway's speed is real and spectacular vs. NHL'ers.. He's ready.
McLeod has taken another step up his speed gives him lots of separation.. we'll see if he'll be able to bury all the chances he's going to get.. hope he shot 500 pucks a day during the summer!

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2022 21:35]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812179 is a reply to message #812174 ]
Thu, 29 September 2022 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I don't like to be an armchair coach, but I would like to see the Oilers try a couple of things before training camp ends. Should be opportunities once the cuts for Bakersfield happen.

I'd like to see if Dylan Holloway can find some chemistry with RNH. I expect Holloway to be a top 6 winger, but some experience with a veteran like Nugent-Hopkins on the third line and PK wouldn't hurt.

Spector writes that the Oilers are going to be short of offence on the bottom 6, but I don't think this will be necessarily so. McLeod looks much closer to being a regular than I thought, and Yamamoto and Puljuarvi can move up and down the lineup depending on the situation. A few guys like Esposito and Benson seem to be having some difficulty bringing their AHL scoring to the NHL even in the pre-season, but might be guys who can be called up in emergency situations.I think the bottom six will be okay, provided they can do heavy lifting on the PK and shut down the opposition in tough situations

Fanti s going to be an NHL goalie some day, provided Schwartz and the rest of the coaches can do a better job of developing him than they did with Dubnyk, Brossoit, etc. In the meantime, I'm glad Pickard is in the organization, probably #3 in the pecking order.

The last year of Klefbom being on LTIR. He was great to watch as an Oiler when he was healthy. Wish we could see a healthy Klefbom play some more games for the Oilers.

Hope Nurse is healthy this season, even though he drives me nuts from game to game. On his best days, he's a Norris candidate. But sometimes he looks like a rookie (or Janne Niinimaa).

Go Oilers!!! I Know you are going to drive us crazy over the next few months, but sanity is over-rated anyways. rock rock rock

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812181 is a reply to message #812094 ]
Thu, 29 September 2022 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

How badly does the org want Virtanen to succeed? 3 tries, accomplished pretty much nothing. Looks like his game was completely left back in 2019.

So...does he get a 4th try?

Avs dumped Galchenyuk after 1 weak performance.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812184 is a reply to message #812181 ]
Thu, 29 September 2022 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 29 September 2022 11:38

How badly does the org want Virtanen to succeed? 3 tries, accomplished pretty much nothing. Looks like his game was completely left back in 2019.

So...does he get a 4th try?

Avs dumped Galchenyuk after 1 weak performance.

Well, if the Oilers are as weak up front as Spector says, maybe Virtanen should get one more last chance. Even if he is willing to play on a two-way minimum salary deal, I would rather see one of the bubble forwards like Benson get that 13th forward roster spot.

If the Oilers are going to start the season with a 21 man roster, Virtanen will be gone, barring a plethora of injuries.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812187 is a reply to message #812184 ]
Thu, 29 September 2022 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Maybe he just hangs out in town and waits for the inevitable injury and need to quickly get a minimum contract into uniform.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022 Training camp thread [message #812189 is a reply to message #812187 ]
Thu, 29 September 2022 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Training camp contingency reduced.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-reduce-camp-r oster-by-seven/c-335905260

The Oilers reduced their Training Camp roster by seven players on Thursday.

Goaltender Ryan Fanti and forward Ty Tullio were loaned to the American Hockey League's Bakersfield Condors.

Forward Dino Kambeitz and defencemen Yann Kaldis and Darien Kielb were released from their professional tryouts and returned to the Bakersfield Condors, while forward Filip Engaras was released from his amateur tryout.

Forward Matvey Petrov was re-assigned to the Ontario Hockey League's North Bay Battalion.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Samorukov traded to St. Louis
Next Topic:Virtanen and Demers Sign PTOs
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca