This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3)
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744112]
Tue, 08 October 2019 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
NY Islanders to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2019-20 Regular Season
Tuesday, October 8, 2019Edmonton 5 @ NY Islanders 2Win
Friday, March 13, 2020NY Islanders 6 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 2/5 Total: 7
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/2 Total: 8

2018-19 Regular Season
Saturday, February 16, 2019Edmonton 2 @ NY Islanders 5Loss
Thursday, February 21, 2019NY Islanders 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT)Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/2 Total: 6
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/5 Total: 8

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744113 is a reply to message #744112 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Banking a few W’s Wouldn't hurt my feelings for when the schedule gets tougher. Sounds like they are going back to Smith, but Koskinen seems to make the most sense after a shaky win against LA, unless Tippett has no trust in the big Finn.

I’m okay with whoever gives us the best chance at winning.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744115 is a reply to message #744113 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I'd play Koskinen. Smith was just OK in his last game. Being in the West, I don't think it's smart to ride one guy, you need more of a platoon so it's important that he gets in. I think with no clear #1, you need to keep the competition going between them. Keep both guys hungry. Koskinen has the contract, he didn't get the opening night start, nor the second start. Smith has 2 wins, he should be motivated. If you play one guy 3 games in a row, you are establishing him as the #1. The Isles don't score a lot and Smith is not a young goalie. He's 37, turning 38 in March. He's got a history of getting injuries at some point in the season. So I wouldn't be using him up early one.

If Smith stood on his head in 2 games in a row, maybe you ride a hot hand given there is some rest in between games but he's been just OK. Keep both guys fresh.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744116 is a reply to message #744113 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 06:43

Banking a few W’s Wouldn't hurt my feelings for when the schedule gets tougher. Sounds like they are going back to Smith, but Koskinen seems to make the most sense after a shaky win against LA, unless Tippett has no trust in the big Finn.

I’m okay with whoever gives us the best chance at winning.

I still think Mike Smith gives the Oilers a better chance.

I like how Tippet left Smith in after his blunders and weak goals. Did you see Mike Smith's reaction when the final buzzer went? He was jacked up. Imagine if he was on the bench? He had a bad game but got the W and is feeling good.

Wasn't it just a couple years back where TMac pulled Talbot in like the second game of the season? Against Winnipeg I think, only after 2 goals. I think it affected Talbot the rest of the year and he hasn't been the same since.

Maybe there is a science on when or when to not pull goalies.

Anyways, 4-1 Isles, obviously Eberle, Barzal and Beauvillier score.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744123 is a reply to message #744116 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

I'd start Koskinen either tonight or Thursday against the Devils. Smith is the better goalie, but you got to start working Koskinen into the rotation.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744124 is a reply to message #744123 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Morning Line rushes.

Dra - McD - Kass
Jurco - Nuge - Neal
Khaira - Sheahan - Arch
Nygard - Haas - Russell

Nurse - Bear
Klef- Persson
Russel - Benning

Supposedly Chiasson still isn't feeling well enough to go.

Taking out Cave is a no brainer to me. He wins faceoffs and that's it. I thought it was a coin flip as to the other scratch. Granland and Khaira have been decent on the PK but haven't done much else.

Koskinen starts.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 October 2019 10:07]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744129 is a reply to message #744124 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 10:04

Morning Line rushes.

Dra - McD - Kass
Jurco - Nuge - Neal
Khaira - Sheahan - Arch
Nygard - Haas - Russell

Nurse - Bear
Klef- Persson
Russel - Benning

Supposedly Chiasson still isn't feeling well enough to go.

Taking out Cave is a no brainer to me. He wins faceoffs and that's it. I thought it was a coin flip as to the other scratch. Granland and Khaira have been decent on the PK but haven't done much else.

Koskinen starts.

Sheahan has his work cut out for him based on how Khaira and Archibald have played 5v5 so far. Will be interesting. I guess Koskinen in net is already interesting enough :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744131 is a reply to message #744129 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Apparently Sheahan has been officially activated and Archibald put on IR. So Archibald was apparently on line rushes but now is out.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744133 is a reply to message #744124 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Cave has been the worst Oiler over the first two games by a huge margin. Like this lineup.. icon_thumbsup

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744134 is a reply to message #744131 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 11:10

Apparently Sheahan has been officially activated and Archibald put on IR. So Archibald was apparently on line rushes but now is out.

Well, it was nice of him to come down and spread his disease for the day at least.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744135 is a reply to message #744133 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Cave is a tweener NHLer. He can play for you in short spurts but won't create much. If he's a full time NHLer, you are probably not a very good team.

Granlund is in because Chiasson is still out with the flu and Archibald is in the IR.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744138 is a reply to message #744112 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

There's a strong argument to take all of Archibald, Granlund, Cave, Chiasson, Russell, and possibly Khaira out. You can only bench two of them and maybe keep one of the IR though.

(I'd have kept Gagner over all of them).

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744141 is a reply to message #744112 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Khaira is disappointing so far, weak efforts each game, does not behave like a guy who's career is on the fence. Expect once everyone is healthy he'll find some popcorn time up in the booth.

Expect Koski to crap out tonight.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744142 is a reply to message #744138 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 13:58

There's a strong argument to take all of Archibald, Granlund, Cave, Chiasson, Russell, and possibly Khaira out. You can only bench two of them and maybe keep one of the IR though.

I am not sure if you have had the chance to go to a game live yet but if you haven't and if you do go to one, you will see why Gagner isn't in the line up. The Oilers are trying to play an up temp, fast paced more skilled game and there is no way Gagner could keep up. Especially in the bottom 6. By my eyes, Tippett is trying to get the Oilers bottom 6 to be aggressive on the forecheck and play fast. None of which Gagner has in his game.

All the guys you listed can skate pretty well except for Chiasson and Chiasson is a better skater than Gagner and gets into the corners more. Gagner is a poor skater, doesn't kill penalties, isn't a center. I don't see a fit at all.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744144 is a reply to message #744138 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Granlund I think stays because of PKing and how he is not a defensive mess 5v5. Cave, garbage. Khaira has just completely slammed into a wall for his career, which makes me sad. Achibald, super meh so far, but he wasn't that bad for Arizona, I wonder if he's been fighting some bad illness for a while. Chaisson, you gotta justify that deal now, he better do something. Russell, super meh, should be in the A.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744147 is a reply to message #744142 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 14:07

I am not sure if you have had the chance to go to a game live yet but if you haven't and if you do go to one, you will see why Gagner isn't in the line up. The Oilers are trying to play an up temp, fast paced more skilled game and there is no way Gagner could keep up. Especially in the bottom 6. By my eyes, Tippett is trying to get the Oilers bottom 6 to be aggressive on the forecheck and play fast. None of which Gagner has in his game.

All the guys you listed can skate pretty well except for Chiasson and Chiasson is a better skater than Gagner and gets into the corners more. Gagner is a poor skater, doesn't kill penalties, isn't a center. I don't see a fit at all.

Agreeing with you (!). I've been advocating that the Oilers worry about scoring and attacking for a few years now. First learn the offensive game, then steady the defence. This requires a goalie you can have confidence in though, because there will be a lot of experienced teams that can turn the game around fast. Allow your power forwards to be constantly dangerous and forecheck the heck out of the other three lines. Keep the puck in the opposition end and let them worry about clearing the puck instead of worrying about scoring. Everything MacT sucked out of this team. Don't hitch a mule wagon to McDavid ever again!!!

Gags' experience could work on the PK if he could accept his role and reduce ice time.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744148 is a reply to message #744141 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 14:03

Khaira is disappointing so far,

Would like to see Khaira do better too, he's one of our own, home grown. He needs to use that size reach and skating to his advantage. I think Koski will do just fine as long as the defense can somehow eliminate the high glove shots. He has a lot to prove to all us shameful doubters so this is his chance.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744155 is a reply to message #744112 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Is this the first time the Oilers have played in Nassau since 2015?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744156 is a reply to message #744148 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 14:11

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 14:03

Khaira is disappointing so far,

Would like to see Khaira do better too, he's one of our own, home grown. He needs to use that size reach and skating to his advantage. I think Koski will do just fine as long as the defense can somehow eliminate the high glove shots. He has a lot to prove to all us shameful doubters so this is his chance.

Hey, if they can do that then someone gets the Norris!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744158 is a reply to message #744112 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

MUST WIN!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744159 is a reply to message #744112 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

When's the last time the Oilers have started the season 3-0? I'm thinking a very long time.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744160 is a reply to message #744158 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 16:36

MUST WIN!

About damn time.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3) [message #744161 is a reply to message #744159 ]
Tue, 08 October 2019 16:57 Go to previous message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 08 October 2019 16:49

When's the last time the Oilers have started the season 3-0? I'm thinking a very long time.

It's your fault now if they lose. Just FYI.

Gene says 2008 was the last time... :(

[Updated on: Tue, 08 October 2019 17:03]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #4)
Next Topic:Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca