This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744034]
Sat, 05 October 2019 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Los Angeles to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744039 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sat, 05 October 2019 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Whoa doggy! That was a fun win.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744040 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Happy for the win of course, but I really hope that the Oil won’t have to out-score their mistakes moving forward....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744041 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

What a clown show start, spotting the kings a couple goals in the 1st. Not the kind of game we have usually won the last couple years.

There is definitely a change of pace to how the team is playing with some faster guys and a couple more guys on D that can make a pass. Let's see what happens against some good teams though.

Tippett making McLellan take a timeout was an elite 4D chess move too.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 October 2019 22:45]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744042 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sat, 05 October 2019 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Wasn’t pretty, but it’s another win in regulation. The rust is off of McDavid for sure.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744044 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sat, 05 October 2019 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Sheahan really needs to come back. 4th line C'd by Cave abysmal in 2 straight games. Corsi in 20%'s and a GA in both games.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744045 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sat, 05 October 2019 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

The team might not have overcome 2 blatant giveaway goals by their goalie early in years past. They didn't quit, and neither did Smith....a non vet might have folded and begged for the hook.

Good to see some lesser lights, some of the new guys hit the scoresheet. Some dumb penalties, though.

Long story short, entertaining game that the Oilers probably had an easier route to winning.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744049 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I was at this one tonight. Pretty fun game to be at. Smith looked shaky all night. Even routine stops were a problem for him. Benning's penalty came specifically because Smith dropped a rebound there's no way he shouldn't have been able to control.

Still, it's nice to win a game when your save percentage is well below .900.

McDavid was flying tonight. Had 4 points and it could have easily been 7. He's back.

I'd really like us to learn how to score on an empty net. It would be nice to actually put teams away with a little killer instinct.

That said, tonight was an entertaining affair.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744050 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

The Kings suck. They should have easily gotten a point after being spotted a couple of goals. The Oilers are lucky they didn't make those mistakes against a better team.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744051 is a reply to message #744050 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 08:39

The Kings suck. They should have easily gotten a point after being spotted a couple of goals. The Oilers are lucky they didn't make those mistakes against a better team.

True - although outside of goaltending, the Oilers were the better team (as they should be). McDavid was fantastic all night long. For having coached these guys for a long time, McLellan didn't have an answer on how to slow up the top line of the Oilers.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744052 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

...and hey! First in the west!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744053 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Nice to get the win, even after gifting the Kings a couple.

Forwards TOI:

Draisaitl - 26:05!
McDavid - 24:07
RNH - 20:19
Neal - 19:28
Kassian - 15:30
Khaira - 9:13
Jurco - 8:31
Cave - 6:33

I feel like the Oilers may not have solved their bottom 6 yet. Sheahan can't make it back fast enough. Also wouldn't mind seeing Benson get called up soon.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744054 is a reply to message #744051 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 11:41

True - although outside of goaltending, the Oilers were the better team (as they should be). McDavid was fantastic all night long. For having coached these guys for a long time, McLellan didn't have an answer on how to slow up the top line of the Oilers.

Gotta be depressing for Kings fans to look at Capfriendly. They're a couple or 3 years away from some big contracts to the elderly expiring. The last years of Quick, Kopitar, Doughty....Doughty with 8 years left at 29, the other 2 over 30 with 4 & 5 years term left, will be punishing.

2 cups this decade though, on the other side of it.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744055 is a reply to message #744053 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 11:55

Forwards TOI:

I feel like the Oilers may not have solved their bottom 6 yet. Sheahan can't make it back fast enough. Also wouldn't mind seeing Benson get called up soon.

Yamamoto with two goals in two games, plus 9 SOG. He’s going to make a case for a December call up if he can continue to trend up.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744056 is a reply to message #744053 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Forwards TOI:

Cave works hard, but damn is he clueless in the offensive zone. There is almost no chance of any retained possession in the offensive zone for a line he is centering. Definitely need to figure something out. ThinK I saw we hvae allowed 3 5v5 goals with McDavid off the ice so far. I believe 2 of those were on horrible shifts from the 4th line. Can't have a 4th line that's getting scored on every night in barely any ice time.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744057 is a reply to message #744053 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Forwards TOI:

Yeah - as far as I can tell two games in, we have the same situation. Several players in the bottom 8 forwards who are AHL-caliber and the plan will be to play the top guys as much as possible to make up for the fact that we don't have the depth.

It's pretty early in the season, but Draisaitl so far is over 2.5 minutes a game more than any other forward in the NHL - I can't see that as a maintainable level of usage. Hopefully he's resting up in this two day break!

We've had an easy start to the season too - neither the Canucks nor the Kings will be in the playoffs this year - but still, at least we won the games.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744058 is a reply to message #744056 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 12:27

Cave works hard, but damn is he clueless in the offensive zone. There is almost no chance of any retained possession in the offensive zone for a line he is centering. Definitely need to figure something out. ThinK I saw we hvae allowed 3 5v5 goals with McDavid off the ice so far. I believe 2 of those were on horrible shifts from the 4th line. Can't have a 4th line that's getting scored on every night in barely any ice time.

Still doesn't look like an NHLer to me. 2 games, 19 mins of ice time, 0 shots, 0 points, -2 with 2 PIMs and a 55% winning percentage on faceoffs. That's not enough. I'd rather see Gagner up.

I also saw nothing from Russell last night that made me think we need him here.

Nygard, Haas and Jurco all had their moments last night. Granlund was pretty invisible.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744059 is a reply to message #744054 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 11:57

Gotta be depressing for Kings fans to look at Capfriendly. They're a couple or 3 years away from some big contracts to the elderly expiring. The last years of Quick, Kopitar, Doughty....Doughty with 8 years left at 29, the other 2 over 30 with 4 & 5 years term left, will be punishing.

Four more years of Quick too...I don't think he's where he once was. 0.888 save percentage last year, and sure didn't look sharp last night.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744062 is a reply to message #744057 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I was at the game. I thought the Oilers were the better team overall.

Smith was shaky. The 2 goals he gave up thanks to his puck handling gaffs are pretty self explanatory. The pros of him is his puck handling and the plays he can make. The cons of him is his puck handling because maybe at times he's too confident and plays pucks he shouldn't. I didn't like the 3rd goal, I think he should stop that. But he made some big saves and they won.

I think it's safe to assume McDavid feels perfectly fine. He was unbelievable.

Leon seems to have found another gear. I heard him talk in the preseason about the only thing he cares about is playoffs. He keeps doing what he is doing, it will go a long way to helping that happen.

Kassian looked great again. It's only been 2 games but so far, he looks like a top 6 right winger in my opinion.

Nuge was OK.

Neal was good. 2 goals speaks for itself. Thanks again Flames. Enjoy the grit and whatever the hell else Lucic apparently brings.

Nygard continues to get better. I have to think getting the first goal will only boost his confidence. His speed is a weapon and he's more physical than I expected.

Haas. I have to say, he looked pretty good. That face-off play was outstanding. I'd have him as the Oilers 4th line centre.

Khaira was better but he was so bad in the first game that isn't saying much.

P. Russell was OK. 12-13th forward.

Granlund was meh again. Good on the PK though.

Jurco I thought looked good. His undressing of the defender on the Nurse goal was fantastic.

Cave can win face-offs.......... and that's it. He's a drag on his line. I hope when Sheahan comes back, he's out.

I thought the Nurse- Bear pairing was good.
Klefbob-Persson was OK. Persson was just OK but it was his first game.
Benning was OK. Russell was rough.

2 wins. I will take it.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 October 2019 08:30]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744064 is a reply to message #744059 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 13:57

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 11:57

Four more years of Quick too...I don't think he's where he once was. 0.888 save percentage last year, and sure didn't look sharp last night.

Russell and a 1st for doughty and they keep 50%!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744065 is a reply to message #744058 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 13:55

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 12:27

Still doesn't look like an NHLer to me. 2 games, 19 mins of ice time, 0 shots, 0 points, -2 with 2 PIMs and a 55% winning percentage on faceoffs. That's not enough. I'd rather see Gagner up.

I also saw nothing from Russell last night that made me think we need him here.

Nygard, Haas and Jurco all had their moments last night. Granlund was pretty invisible.

It is nice at least that the worst performers so far are guys that can be demoted with all their cap hit off the books. Definitely need to rework the bottom 6, especially the disaster 4th line. There are certainly options in Bakersfield.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744066 is a reply to message #744034 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

We got a top six goal scorer and Calgary got a face puncher.

Still, a pretty even trade. icon_biggrin

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744067 is a reply to message #744066 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

One thing that I have noticed over the 2 games I have been to watch them, the Oilers are noticeably faster. Which is a good thing.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744068 is a reply to message #744051 ]
Sun, 06 October 2019 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

True - although outside of goaltending, the Oilers were the better team (as they should be).

Not sure I agree about the goaltending, as I thought that Smith was solid outside out of the two brainfarts that led directly to the first two Kings goals. If he can improve his decisionmaking on when to come out to play the puck, he could be a solid backstop for the team.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744069 is a reply to message #744068 ]
Mon, 07 October 2019 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 20:27

True - although outside of goaltending, the Oilers were the better team (as they should be).

Not sure I agree about the goaltending, as I thought that Smith was solid outside out of the two brainfarts that led directly to the first two Kings goals. If he can improve his decisionmaking on when to come out to play the puck, he could be a solid backstop for the team.

Watching at the game, he didn't look good. Spilled a bunch of rebounds that he should have been able to corral. Spent most of the game at .800 for save percentage. He really looked like he was fighting the puck. As someone else said, maybe he was rattled by giving up those early easy ones, but he didn't instill much confidence in me the whole night.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744070 is a reply to message #744066 ]
Mon, 07 October 2019 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 18:09

One for one.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744109 is a reply to message #744070 ]
Mon, 07 October 2019 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 07 October 2019 08:55

Magnum wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 18:09

One for one.

The original Guinness approves of this post.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #744110 is a reply to message #744062 ]
Mon, 07 October 2019 18:42 Go to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 06 October 2019 15:43

I was at the game. I thought the Oilers were the better team overall.

Smith was shaky. The 2 goals he gave up thanks to his puck handling gaffs are pretty self explanatory. The pros of him is his puck handling and the plays he can make. The cons of him is his puck handling because maybe at times he's too confident and plays pucks he shouldn't. I didn't like the 3rd goal, I think he should stop that. But he made some big saves and they won.

I think it's safe to assume McDavid feels perfectly fine. He was unbelievable.

Leon seems to have found another gear. I heard him talk in the preseason about the only thing he cares about is playoffs. He keeps doing what he is doing, it will go a long way to helping that happen.

Kassian looked great again. It's only been 2 games but so far, he looks like a top 6 right winger in my opinion.

Nuge was OK.

Neal was good. 2 goals speaks for itself. Thanks again Flames. Enjoy the grit and whatever the hell else Lucic apparently brings.

Nygard continues to get better. I have to think getting the first goal will only boost his confidence. His speed is a weapon and he's more physical than I expected.

Haas. I have to say, he looked pretty good. That face-off play was outstanding. I'd have him as the Oilers 4th line centre.

Khaira was better but he was so bad in the first game that isn't saying much.

P. Russell was OK. 12-13th forward.

Granlund was meh again. Good on the PK though.

Jurco I thought looked good. His undressing of the defender on the Nurse goal was fantastic.

Cave can win face-offs.......... and that's it. He's a drag on his line. I hope when Sheahan comes back, he's out.

I thought the Nurse- Bear pairing was good.
Klefbob-Persson was OK. Persson wasn't just OK but it was his first game.
Benning was OK. Russell was rough.

2 wins. I will take it.

Good review.

I always appreciate detailed notes from someone at the game. It can look very different than on TV

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #3)
Next Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca