This day on March 19
Acquired: Bobby Allen (2002) Mike York (2002)
Departed: Sean Brown (2002) Rem Murray (2002) Tom Poti (2002)

Happy Birthday To: duffin06, JPro, burkesajoker, arc131, dumpNchase, RollercoasterRider, EpicallyFaithful

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #739679]
Mon, 01 July 2019 08:23 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/signings/

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #739681 is a reply to message #739679 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

The very rare feat of playing for all three of Vancouver, Calgary, and now Edmonton.

Another bottom six winger (Gagner, Kassian, Nygard, Khaira, Lucic, now Granlund), bringing the total to 6 bottom six wingers, and one (Draisaitl) Top-6 winger.

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #739684 is a reply to message #739679 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

1.3M, not bad. We have spent money far worse than this before. He is at least a 3rd line NHL player. Defensively decent too, regular PKer, which Holland and Tippett are probably looking for to not experience the same kind of embarrassment we have seen the last 2 years here.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 July 2019 09:22]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #739685 is a reply to message #739679 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

I like this, it does nothing to solve our top 6 winger issue, but he’s better on the 4th line then out current options and apparently is decent on the P.K. Hopefully we move out a bottom 6 guy or 2 as it is getting a bit crowded down there.

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760098 is a reply to message #739679 ]
Mon, 11 May 2020 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/veteran-markus-granlund -reportedly-signs-with-khl-team-after-flaming-out-in-edmonto n/ar-BB13RYG4?li=AAggNb9&pfr=1

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760099 is a reply to message #760098 ]
Mon, 11 May 2020 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Ufa, the Edmonton of Russia.

I won't remember this name played for the Oilers in 3 years.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760100 is a reply to message #760099 ]
Mon, 11 May 2020 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 May 2020 14:06

It'll be interesting to see how these kind of signings work if the NHL returns to action in late summer...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760103 is a reply to message #760100 ]
Mon, 11 May 2020 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 May 2020 15:11

It'll be interesting to see how these kind of signings work if the NHL returns to action in late summer...

The NHL - NHLPA Collective Agreement is an absolute mess. The only CBA, I can think of, that's worse is Canada Post's. You can have a pocket dictionary, but you could never make a pocket Post CBA. It's stoopid with a capital K. To have labour peace the company and union absolutely NEEDS flexibility to work through issues. /soapbox

The standard player contract seems to end on the later of June 15th or 48 hours after the the Cup is awarded, but there is a clause that allows the season to be ended by formal cancellation of the season (or league) which would end this year of the contract. I'm not sure there's a way to hold players in limbo (meaning: keeping them in the 2019-20 year of the contract) by extending the season beyond June without a massively complicated waiver being issued by the association.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760124 is a reply to message #760103 ]
Tue, 12 May 2020 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 May 2020 17:12

The NHL - NHLPA Collective Agreement is an absolute mess. The only CBA, I can think of, that's worse is Canada Post's. You can have a pocket dictionary, but you could never make a pocket Post CBA. It's stoopid with a capital K. To have labour peace the company and union absolutely NEEDS flexibility to work through issues. /soapbox

The standard player contract seems to end on the later of June 15th or 48 hours after the the Cup is awarded, but there is a clause that allows the season to be ended by formal cancellation of the season (or league) which would end this year of the contract. I'm not sure there's a way to hold players in limbo (meaning: keeping them in the 2019-20 year of the contract) by extending the season beyond June without a massively complicated waiver being issued by the association.

There would have to be an agreement by the Players' Association to extend all contracts. Obviously the carrot is the escrowed money because right now the players are all forfeiting a HUGE amount of their salary - maybe as much as 25%. But for an individual player who wasn't making that much, and who may not get much benefit from coming back...I could see some people stepping away, especially in the case of someone like Granlund where he doesn't intend to play in the NHL next year.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760136 is a reply to message #760124 ]
Tue, 12 May 2020 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 May 2020 14:36

There would have to be an agreement by the Players' Association to extend all contracts. Obviously the carrot is the escrowed money because right now the players are all forfeiting a HUGE amount of their salary - maybe as much as 25%. But for an individual player who wasn't making that much, and who may not get much benefit from coming back...I could see some people stepping away, especially in the case of someone like Granlund where he doesn't intend to play in the NHL next year.

If the players agree to comeback to finish the season, and that's a big if, I don't think it saves them any money in escrow this or the cap for next year. The gate revenue for the last ~12 games is already lost, playoffs are probably a net expense now because they won't get a gate, and a time extension in this season might cause a drop in revenue for 2020-21 if anything in next season gets delayed or canceled.

The best solution might be an august training camp, a compressed 6 week playoff in September, followed by a ~5 day player trade / transfer / free agent period, and right into the 2020-21 season. But holy heck is that complicated to pull off... even if wave 2 doesn't come. If I'm a union person though I need a lot of concessions to guard against a salary cap drop, playoff injuries, lack of time to make summer deals, and a myriad of other problems otherwise it's probably better for the players to cancel 2019-20, which is probably the best solution for the owners and league too.

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760138 is a reply to message #760136 ]
Tue, 12 May 2020 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 12 May 2020 15:10

If the players agree to comeback to finish the season, and that's a big if, I don't think it saves them any money in escrow this or the cap for next year. The gate revenue for the last ~12 games is already lost, playoffs are probably a net expense now because they won't get a gate, and a time extension in this season might cause a drop in revenue for 2020-21 if anything in next season gets delayed or canceled.

The best solution might be an august training camp, a compressed 6 week playoff in September, followed by a ~5 day player trade / transfer / free agent period, and right into the 2020-21 season. But holy heck is that complicated to pull off... even if wave 2 doesn't come. If I'm a union person though I need a lot of concessions to guard against a salary cap drop, playoff injuries, lack of time to make summer deals, and a myriad of other problems otherwise it's probably better for the players to cancel 2019-20, which is probably the best solution for the owners and league too.

Gate revenue can’t be lost yet. According to ticketmaster my March 23rd Tampa tickets are still valid.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760142 is a reply to message #760138 ]
Tue, 12 May 2020 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 12 May 2020 15:13

Gate revenue can’t be lost yet. According to ticketmaster my March 23rd Tampa tickets are still valid.

Enjoy your future credit that will be applied to a future Ticketmaster / Oilers purchase. I can't wait for the announcement that credits will only be applied to the original purchaser's account.

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #760157 is a reply to message #760136 ]
Wed, 13 May 2020 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

There's an x-factor here though - the biggest expense, as you say, is player's salary, but players only get paid nominally for playoffs. The NHL would rather play playoffs - even in the fall next year, than regular season because they get greater revenue and less expenses. That would normally be a non-starter for players but for the escrow - if the NHL makes back enough money in the playoffs (and with the future TV deal in the US coming up) then players get more of their escrowed money back (and possibly an increased cap and more money in later years).

I do think you're right - regular season games get too expensive to play pretty fast if you can't rely on gate & concession & parking revenue. But playoffs is a bit of a different animal.

Re: Markus Granlund an Oiler, per Sportsnet [message #761794 is a reply to message #760100 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 16:56 Go to previous message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

No idea. But those with better understanding of contract law could point at his contract expiring on July 1st. Since he is leaving the NHL he could say screw you.

Previous Topic:Oilers sign Filip Berglund
Next Topic:Oilers Qualify 3; Nurse, Slepychev, Strome
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca