This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Gambardella Recalled
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Gambardella Recalled [message #726185]
Sun, 30 December 2018 19:07 Go to next message
Shad1216  is currently offline Shad1216

No Cups

Well now, this has been an entertaining Sunday to say the least.

We lost Wideman and got Petrovic. I'm fine with that. It didn't seem Wideman wanted to play here, anyhow.

We lost Caggiula and Garrison for Manning and Norell.

We now recall Joseph Gambardella from Bakersfield.

I'm happy I stayed home and cleaned house :).

For what it's worth, I'd say this is the OBC's response to our defencemen being injured. Inject a little bit of Chiarelli panic, and you get what you have here.

It's going to be difficult being an Oilers fan for the next little while.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-gambardella-recalled -from-bakersfield/c-303386638

[Updated on: Sun, 30 December 2018 19:15]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #726194 is a reply to message #726185 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Sounds dumb but I'd rather have him or Marody or Russell in the lineup just for the fact that the bottom 6 hasn't produced AT ALL. Like if these guys come in and get a goal that's more than Reider has done all season. Is it hurting their development to bring them up right now into the tire fire that is the Oilers? Maybe. I'd rather see these guys bust their ass, Marody looked great when he was called up, like a guy scared to lose his job.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729197 is a reply to message #726194 ]
Wed, 30 January 2019 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Gambardella having a nice run in Bakersfield since he was sent back there by the Oilers.

https://theahl.com/gambardella-ahl-player-of-the-week

"Last Monday, Gambardella scored the overtime winner to lift Bakersfield to a 6-5 victory at San Jose. He netted the game-winning goal again on Wednesday and added an assist as the Condors defeated Colorado, 7-2, and he assisted on the tiebreaking score in Bakersfield’s 3-1 win at Tucson on Friday. Gambardella scored two more goals in another 3-1 win in Tucson on Saturday before traveling across the country to participate in the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield in Springfield, Mass."

Gambardella seems like a decent guy and a pretty fair hockey player. I don't know if he will ever see the NHL again, but it's good to see a Condor get some recognition.

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729209 is a reply to message #729197 ]
Wed, 30 January 2019 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 30 January 2019 12:12

Gambardella having a nice run in Bakersfield since he was sent back there by the Oilers.

"Last Monday, Gambardella scored the overtime winner to lift Bakersfield to a 6-5 victory at San Jose. He netted the game-winning goal again on Wednesday and added an assist as the Condors defeated Colorado, 7-2, and he assisted on the tiebreaking score in Bakersfield’s 3-1 win at Tucson on Friday. Gambardella scored two more goals in another 3-1 win in Tucson on Saturday before traveling across the country to participate in the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield in Springfield, Mass."

Gambardella seems like a decent guy and a pretty fair hockey player. I don't know if he will ever see the NHL again, but it's good to see a Condor get some recognition.

I guess lost among the depressing Oilers news is that the Bakersfield Condors have won 8 in a row. Tyler Benson is healthy and having a great season, leading the team in scoring. I think in a couple of years marinating in the AHL he could be a player, but I see him being called up too soon as per usual. We will see if Bobby Nick sticks to the developing in the minors plan.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729217 is a reply to message #729209 ]
Wed, 30 January 2019 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 30 January 2019 15:54

I guess lost among the depressing Oilers news is that the Bakersfield Condors have won 8 in a row. Tyler Benson is healthy and having a great season, leading the team in scoring. I think in a couple of years marinating in the AHL he could be a player, but I see him being called up too soon as per usual. We will see if Bobby Nick sticks to the developing in the minors plan.

Want the bad news now? Benson isn't scoring at a rate that should make anyone think he's a top-6 player in the NHL. 34 points in 42 games isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about.

Marody, just one year older and with 32 points in 32 games, looks to be a much better bet at this point, although still not a sure thing.

Gambardella also out-performing Benson on points per game, although since he's 4 years older, I don't give him as much room to improve. Still, could be a fourth liner at some point on a team who doesn't think fourth liners should all look like linebackers...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729235 is a reply to message #729217 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 30 January 2019 17:30

Want the bad news now? Benson isn't scoring at a rate that should make anyone think he's a top-6 player in the NHL. 34 points in 42 games isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about.

Marody, just one year older and with 32 points in 32 games, looks to be a much better bet at this point, although still not a sure thing.

Gambardella also out-performing Benson on points per game, although since he's 4 years older, I don't give him as much room to improve. Still, could be a fourth liner at some point on a team who doesn't think fourth liners should all look like linebackers...

I think my hope for Benson is to kind of fill that 3C role eventually, solid defensively, two-way player who can put up some points. Basically a Strome-type.

The lack of it on the Oilers right now does show that this is a pretty valuable contribution and certainly not a bad outcome for a second round pick. I'm not seeing the bad news, personally.

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729237 is a reply to message #729235 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 12:14

I think my hope for Benson is to kind of fill that 3C role eventually, solid defensively, two-way player who can put up some points. Basically a Strome-type.

The lack of it on the Oilers right now does show that this is a pretty valuable contribution and certainly not a bad outcome for a second round pick. I'm not seeing the bad news, personally.

Ryan Strome scored 49 points in 37 AHL games at the same age as Benson is. He was tracking much higher.

It's not terrible news, but this is a player who we have heard those around the organization bang the drum about as a key prospect - and increasingly, it looks like that is not the case. He's still a prospect, still can be an NHLer...but a depth guy is all anyone should be hoping for at this point with Benson.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729243 is a reply to message #729237 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 11:55

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 12:14

Ryan Strome scored 49 points in 37 AHL games at the same age as Benson is. He was tracking much higher.

It's not terrible news, but this is a player who we have heard those around the organization bang the drum about as a key prospect - and increasingly, it looks like that is not the case. He's still a prospect, still can be an NHLer...but a depth guy is all anyone should be hoping for at this point with Benson.

Isn't Benson supposed to be a more well-rounded player with good defensive awareness? That has value and it translates better to the NHL than an offensive-minded AHL player. He's also a winger, not a centre. I don't think Strome is a good comp.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729252 is a reply to message #729243 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

If this organization has a diamond in the rough at forward, I would think Benson is it. Been a top flight player at every level he has played at and he's still young coming out of junior. Just marinate him in the minors for as long as it takes because it will probably be worth the wait. The injuries set him back a for sure but there's still plenty of time for him to develop into a very good NHL player in my opinion.

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729254 is a reply to message #729252 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 31 January 2019 18:19

If this organization has a diamond in the rough at forward, I would think Benson is it. Been a top flight player at every level he has played at and he's still young coming out of junior. Just marinate him in the minors for as long as it takes because it will probably be worth the wait. The injuries set him back a for sure but there's still plenty of time for him to develop into a very good NHL player in my opinion.

I'm willing to make bets that he never scores more than 25 points in an NHL season.

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729255 is a reply to message #729209 ]
Thu, 31 January 2019 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 30 January 2019 14:54

Benson essentially missed two full years of development, and worse, probably regressed due to injury. Before his injuries in junior he was elite class. His biggest challenge will be getting his skating up to the required NHL level, but based on his season, its coming. Another year.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729301 is a reply to message #729237 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

To counter your example, Mark Stone had 38 points in 54 AHL games in his draft +3 season. That is a lower rate than Benson's current season (also draft +3). Stone then followed it up with a well over PPG AHL season.

No players track the same. I think it's too early to know what we have here. He has to keep progressing.

Clean house or bust

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729303 is a reply to message #729301 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 01 February 2019 15:46

To counter your example, Mark Stone had 38 points in 54 AHL games in his draft +3 season. That is a lower rate than Benson's current season (also draft +3). Stone then followed it up with a well over PPG AHL season.

No players track the same. I think it's too early to know what we have here. He has to keep progressing.

You are correct - there are definitely outliers. Dwayne Roloson wasn't a starting goalie until he was in his 30s, and Dustin Penner wasn't even considered a long-shot on what would have been his draft day.

That said, given a lot of data points, it is rare to see a Mark Stone or a Dustin Penner. They would be outliers. If you tracked most top-six forwards in the NHL, they were dominant players at every league below the NHL. I don't see it from Benson. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729307 is a reply to message #729303 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

I would agree that Benson is a very long shot to have an impact at the NHL level. Missing so much playing time in his prime WHL years is something he just can't make up for. Still, he seems to be a hard worker and is worth prime playing time in Bakersfield, in my opinion.

How about Cooper Marody? Like Gambardella, had a brief, mostly forgettable call up to the Oilers earlier this season, and continues to do well for the Condors. Will he ever get called up to the NHL again? Who knows? I'm sure his agent and maybe Woodcroft will be giving him a push. A little bit of hype can't hurt.

https://theahl.com/ahl-monthly-award-winners-january

"Marody, the CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month, registered three goals and 10 assists for 13 points in 13 games for Bakersfield, which finished January with eight consecutive wins.

Marody scored a goal against Colorado on Jan. 4, then put together a seven-game scoring streak beginning with an assist at Texas on Jan. 9. He notched three assists as the Condors defeated Stockton, 4-2, on Jan. 16, and had another three-point game – including scoring the overtime winner – in a 5-4 victory over the Heat on Jan. 18. Marody scored in a 6-2 win at San Diego on Jan. 19 and tallied two assists in a 6-5 OT decision at San Jose on Jan. 21, and would finish the month by representing the Condors at the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic in Springfield."

Maybe that 2019 Round 3 draft pick the Oilers sent to Philadelphia to obtain Marody was a good gamble.

Re: Gambardella Recalled [message #729308 is a reply to message #729307 ]
Fri, 01 February 2019 17:25 Go to previous message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 01 February 2019 17:06

I would agree that Benson is a very long shot to have an impact at the NHL level. Missing so much playing time in his prime WHL years is something he just can't make up for. Still, he seems to be a hard worker and is worth prime playing time in Bakersfield, in my opinion.

How about Cooper Marody? Like Gambardella, had a brief, mostly forgettable call up to the Oilers earlier this season, and continues to do well for the Condors. Will he ever get called up to the NHL again? Who knows? I'm sure his agent and maybe Woodcroft will be giving him a push. A little bit of hype can't hurt.

https://theahl.com/ahl-monthly-award-winners-january

"Marody, the CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month, registered three goals and 10 assists for 13 points in 13 games for Bakersfield, which finished January with eight consecutive wins.

Marody scored a goal against Colorado on Jan. 4, then put together a seven-game scoring streak beginning with an assist at Texas on Jan. 9. He notched three assists as the Condors defeated Stockton, 4-2, on Jan. 16, and had another three-point game – including scoring the overtime winner – in a 5-4 victory over the Heat on Jan. 18. Marody scored in a 6-2 win at San Diego on Jan. 19 and tallied two assists in a 6-5 OT decision at San Jose on Jan. 21, and would finish the month by representing the Condors at the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic in Springfield."

Maybe that 2019 Round 3 draft pick the Oilers sent to Philadelphia to obtain Marody was a good gamble.

Yeah - I like Marody's chances of being an NHLer. He's over a point a game. Same age as Benson but better numbers.

I can't remember the story with Marody - was he going to go back in the draft, unable to reach a deal with Philly? If so, the question is whether he'd have been the third round pick if the Oilers had the chance to take him there. It's looking like he would have been a really good pick in the third - especially since he could go straight to the AHL. Not to mention, we got the certainty of getting the guy we wanted there, rather than chancing it that someone else picked him up just before our turn at the podium...

Chia seems to have got that one right anyhow...

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #51)
Next Topic:Ryan Smyth is once again an Oiler!
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca