This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR
Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #719408]
Tue, 02 October 2018 16:28 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Sekera on LTIR, Bear recalled..

Clears way for a trade/aquisition

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-place-sekera- on-injured-reserve-bear-recalled/c-300569238?tid=281885168

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #719423 is a reply to message #719408 ]
Tue, 02 October 2018 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Was only a matter of time. Cap looks a tad better now.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #719427 is a reply to message #719408 ]
Tue, 02 October 2018 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Freakin Getzlaf and his late hit. I wonder if Sek's knee had to be repaired with some of his Achilles tendon that ended up weakening it, leading to this injury.

In any case. Fire Chia!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #719434 is a reply to message #719427 ]
Tue, 02 October 2018 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 02 October 2018 20:42

Freakin Getzlaf and his late hit. I wonder if Sek's knee had to be repaired with some of his Achilles tendon that ended up weakening it, leading to this injury.

In any case. Fire Chia!

I might be willing to cut Chia slack if he could pull off a deal to get a good replacement for Sek. Of course, I ain't holding my breath.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723365 is a reply to message #719434 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....Sekera has a great attitude...the last thing would be to rush him back, but Weber came back for Montreal earlier than expected....Sekera would even go down to Bakersfield if it would help his rehab....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwhISdN0Iw

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723367 is a reply to message #723365 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Quite frankly, if Sekera didn't have a good attitude and wasn't open to a conditioning stint, I would be pretty disappointed as a fan. If I worked in the organization, I would be pretty disappointed and if I was a teammate, I would be pretty disappointed. He had a major knee injury, missed an entire offseason of training, all of camp plus over half the season last year and when he came back to no ones surprise, he sucked and was actually a negative on the ice to the team. He goes out, finally gets healthy, plays at the world champs where he was decent, had almost a full offseason them blows out his achilles. So the guy has barely played, practiced or trained in 2 freaking years. He better go to the minors to play a little bit.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723378 is a reply to message #723365 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 12:46

....Sekera has a great attitude...the last thing would be to rush him back, but Weber came back for Montreal earlier than expected....Sekera would even go down to Bakersfield if it would help his rehab....

That's pretty big of him, he's an NHL vet, and doesn't have to go that distance. Glad to hear he will though. Cool guy.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723379 is a reply to message #719408 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

It's standard operating procedure for a player returning from long term injury to go to the AHL for a rehab stint, but it has a CBA defined time limit. If they want to keep him down longer, he would have to clear waivers.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723382 is a reply to message #723378 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 15:43

That's pretty big of him, he's an NHL vet, and doesn't have to go that distance. Glad to hear he will though. Cool guy.

At the same time, the Oilers don't need a half-assed recovery for Sekera where he's clearly a liability. We've seen that. He shouldn't come back until he's completely ready.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723385 is a reply to message #723382 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 17:49

At the same time, the Oilers don't need a half-assed recovery for Sekera where he's clearly a liability. We've seen that. He shouldn't come back until he's completely ready.

And then.....just to be sure.....another month. Or two.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723465 is a reply to message #723379 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 15:50

It's standard operating procedure for a player returning from long term injury to go to the AHL for a rehab stint, but it has a CBA defined time limit. If they want to keep him down longer, he would have to clear waivers.

Could that be a loophole to get out of his NMC? Healthy, Sekera is a top 4 guy, but he's barely played hockey the past 1.5 seasons... with his age and injuries, I would try everything in my power to cut bait asap. Maybe make a backroom deal with a team saying if the pick him up off waivers we will overpay on a trade with them?

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723466 is a reply to message #723465 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

The Oilers need NHL d men. If Sek can get back up to speed and fill a 3rd pair roll, that will go a long way to any potential playoff push this team might have. A lot of if's there, but man we could sure use another experienced D man. Glass half full?

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723468 is a reply to message #723466 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Sekera was a good D-man, but I don't like the odds of him bouncing back, and Sekera at 75% puts him on the 3rd pairing with a 5.5MM cap hit and NMC for 2 more years when we are already up against the cap... and that does not even begin to factor in the potentially having to protect him in an expansion draft. If there's a buyer, I say sell. If we are in contention at the deadline, make a trade for a 3 pairing guy with a better contract.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723470 is a reply to message #723468 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 28 November 2018 10:25

Sekera was a good D-man, but I don't like the odds of him bouncing back, and Sekera at 75% puts him on the 3rd pairing with a 5.5MM cap hit and NMC for 2 more years when we are already up against the cap... and that does not even begin to factor in the potentially having to protect him in an expansion draft. If there's a buyer, I say sell. If we are in contention at the deadline, make a trade for a 3 pairing guy with a better contract.

His string of injuries is scream "Ryan Whitney" to me. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think Sek's remaining time in the NHL is limited.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723477 is a reply to message #723470 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 28 November 2018 11:03

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 28 November 2018 10:25

His string of injuries is scream "Ryan Whitney" to me. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think Sek's remaining time in the NHL is limited.

Agreed, though 2 years and a NMC means things could get ugly if he tries to play out his contract. Doubt he'd retire and walk away from 11MM; also doubt he'd go the Ference route and stay on the LTIR. Maybe Fayne 2.0, riding out his deal in the minors, hoping to get another contract at the end of it? I can't recall of any 30+ year olds that got sent down and resurrected their career afterwards.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723481 is a reply to message #723378 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Not really that big a sacrifice. Conditioning stints are an option for players coming off long absences. There’s a time limit on it - he can only be down for two weeks - and he counts as a roster player the full time he’s down so the team has to run with 22 skaters during his time in the AHL.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #725660 is a reply to message #723481 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

....Sekera seems to be making progress....my expectations for Sekera are pretty low, but it seems like no NHL team has too many D....missing a good chunk of two seasons with pretty devastating injuries doesn't bode well for a mid-season return to the NHL IMHO, especially for a 32- year-old...nevertheless, Sekera has worked hard to get back to playing...coming in at mid-season will be tough, though;maybe not helpful to the team....

https://www.tsn.ca/oilers-d-sekera-could-return-in-january-1 .1229866

...."Edmonton Oilers defenceman Andrej Sekera has shed his non-contact jersey in practice and appears to be getting closer to making his season debut after tearing his Achilles tendon last summer.

Sekera underwent surgery on the injury, which was incurred off-season training, in August and was not given a timeline for recovery."....

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #725662 is a reply to message #719408 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Can someone who is SMRT explain what the Oilers would have to do with the cap to even get Sekera back in the lineup? He has a $5,500,000 salary. This is what I'm seeing on CapFriendly right now. What does current and deadline cap space mean?

https://i.ibb.co/Tv64x0L/ltir.jpg

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #725663 is a reply to message #725660 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 08:49

....Sekera seems to be making progress....my expectations for Sekera are pretty low, but it seems like no NHL team has too many D....missing a good chunk of two seasons with pretty devastating injuries doesn't bode well for a mid-season return to the NHL IMHO, especially for a 32- year-old...nevertheless, Sekera has worked hard to get back to playing...coming in at mid-season will be tough, though;maybe not helpful to the team....

https://www.tsn.ca/oilers-d-sekera-could-return-in-january-1 .1229866

...."Edmonton Oilers defenceman Andrej Sekera has shed his non-contact jersey in practice and appears to be getting closer to making his season debut after tearing his Achilles tendon last summer.

Sekera underwent surgery on the injury, which was incurred off-season training, in August and was not given a timeline for recovery."....

I trust the coach we have now to only play him if he WILL help the team, not like the previous coach who would play him no matter what.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #725671 is a reply to message #725662 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I heard yesterday that when he came back last year, his knee wasn't totally right and the brace he had to wear restricted him. It was pretty clear he wasn't close because he could do nothing. Now apparently his knee is really good, no brace, full mobility. So then we move onto the achillies. What I am LOVING is Sekera, not anyone else is saying repeatedly how he wants to go to the AHL to play first. That is music to my ears and exactly what should happen. Why more NHLers don't do a conditioning stint after having a major injury is baffling to me. You aren't there for a long time, just a couple of weeks to get the legs moving and the hands going in a lesser league instead of trying to go from zero too 100 immediately.

My expectation level for him is pretty low given how little he has played in the last 2 seasons and the fact he has had 2 major injuries but if he plays in the AHL for a bit, maybe he can at least be a serviceable 3rd pairing guy which is more than he was last year.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 December 2018 10:02]

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #725672 is a reply to message #725671 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 10:41

I heard yesterday that when he came back last year, his knee wasn't totally right and the brace he had to wear restricted him. It was pretty clear he wasn't close because he could do nothing. Now apparently his knee is really good, no brace, full mobility. So then we move onto the achillies. What I am LOVING is Sekera, not anyone else is saying repeatedly how he wants to go to the AHL to play first. That is music to my ears and exactly what should happen. Why more NHLers don't do a conditioning stint after having a major injury is baffling to me. You aren't there for a long time, just a couple of weeks to get the legs moving and the hands going in a lesser league instead of trying to go from zero too 100 immediately.

My expectation level for him is pretty low given how little he has played in the last 2 seasons and the fact he has had 2 major injuries but if he plays in the AHL for a bit, maybe he can at least be a serviceable 3rd pairing guy which is more than he was last year.

I agree with you 100%
IF he has even a semblance of his former mobility I am sure he can't be worse than Benning, Garrison, Wideman and likely Jones and Gravel.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #725673 is a reply to message #725672 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 10:17

I agree with you 100%
IF he has even a semblance of his former mobility I am sure he can't be worse than Benning, Garrison, Wideman and likely Jones and Gravel.

Putting my doctor hat on, you have to think that this injury should be easier for him to come back from. I imagine the biggest barrier will be in his mind, having the courage to push his ankle to the limits to skate as hard as he knows he can. Come on Sek! Be at least 70% of 16/17 Sek again!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #725676 is a reply to message #725673 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 10:29

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 10:17

I agree with you 100%

Putting my doctor hat on, you have to think that this injury should be easier for him to come back from. I imagine the biggest barrier will be in his mind, having the courage to push his ankle to the limits to skate as hard as he knows he can. Come on Sek! Be at least 70% of 16/17 Sek again!

When fully healthy. If the Oilers could roll with provided Sekera is decent:
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera/?
That is an OK top 5.

The 6th guy is where it is an unknown to me. Just because he is right handed, I guess Benning would get the nod but he is just SOOO inconsistent. I have actually really like Gravel who has been a pleasant surprise to me. But he plays left and I definitely do not want Sekera back from an injury having to play his off side. Even with a conditioning stint, it will still be hard for him because everyone in the NHL has been playing WAY longer than him.

I wonder and I totally get it would not help the whole left-right thing. I wonder if Jones might get the nod? It's only been a few games but he's looked good. He's a left but has played the right side all year in the AHL and is doing it in the NHL and doing fine. With Sekera not being able to be full speed, having a fast guy that can move the puck could help him a lot even if he is a lefty. Benning is not fast, not quick and his puck moving is just mediocre at best.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #725687 is a reply to message #725676 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

You don't need to be a rightie to play RD.

Jones has looked better than Benning because he has been developed as a RD in Bako.

I don't see how anyone can argue that Benning should play over Jones. Russell is a leftie and I think you have him correctly pencilled in as the RD on the second pairing.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #727178 is a reply to message #719408 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Was listening to Oilers Now today and Stauffer spent some time talking about Sekera and how he won’t be the same player he was and may not ever come back, as well as how since he’s been back skating, has no explosiveness. (To be expected with an Achilles injury like that though imo).

He may just be a LTIR candidate for beyond this season, possible this contract and his professional days could be over.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #727179 is a reply to message #727178 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 19:10

Was listening to Oilers Now today and Stauffer spent some time talking about Sekera and how he won’t be the same player he was and may not ever come back, as well as how since he’s been back skating, has no explosiveness. (To be expected with an Achilles injury like that though imo).

He may just be a LTIR candidate for beyond this season, possible this contract and his professional days could be over.

I know we all complain about albatross contracts and how we’d like them to disappear, but I’ll truly feel bad if he’s done and can never return to the NHL. I loved him in our playoff year and would kill to have him back at 90% of his old self. Plus I don’t think the freed up money would be appropriated correctly in the coming years (As it stands now we have pissed it away).

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #727180 is a reply to message #727179 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 19:15

I know we all complain about albatross contracts and how we’d like them to disappear, but I’ll truly feel bad if he’s done and can never return to the NHL. I loved him in our playoff year and would kill to have him back at 90% of his old self. Plus I don’t think the freed up money would be appropriated correctly in the coming years (As it stands now we have pissed it away).

Can someone please fall into Getzlaf's knees? :)

We should sign Darcy Tucker to a 1 day contract for our next Ducks game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #727182 is a reply to message #727180 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 19:16

I was hoping that was Manning’s job.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #727184 is a reply to message #727182 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 19:35

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 19:16

I was hoping that was Manning’s job.

Hard to do from the press box unless he goes full Tonya.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #727200 is a reply to message #727179 ]
Sat, 12 January 2019 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 18:15

This sucks. He was our best D man in a very long time and was a huge part in us getting to the playoffs. Plus he seemed like a genuinely good guy.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #727202 is a reply to message #727200 ]
Sat, 12 January 2019 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 12 January 2019 17:35

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 18:15

This sucks. He was our best D man in a very long time and was a huge part in us getting to the playoffs. Plus he seemed like a genuinely good guy.

Oh for sure, he played a huge role in that playoff year. Then Getzlaf started him on a path of pain, hasn’t been the same since. Then the unfortunate achilles injury. Feel for him. Our D definately would look better with a healthy Reggie.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729138 is a reply to message #725671 ]
Mon, 28 January 2019 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

So any updates on Sekera's health? Haven't heard a peep since it was announced back in December that he had stopped wearing the non-contact practice jerseys and willing to go to Bakersfield for some rehab work ( of course, that would mean he needs to be put on the roster, along with his salary cap hit. Is there any way the Oilers can manage that?)

Interesting that the IIHF World Championships will be held in Sekera's homeland of Slovakia May10-26 this year. I'm sure Slovakia would love to have Sekera in the tournament, and Sekera, health permitting, would probably want to play in the tournament (pending the Oilers getting past the first playoff round, of course).

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729139 is a reply to message #729138 ]
Mon, 28 January 2019 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 28 January 2019 14:46

So any updates on Sekera's health? Haven't heard a peep since it was announced back in December that he had stopped wearing the non-contact practice jerseys and willing to go to Bakersfield for some rehab work ( of course, that would mean he needs to be put on the roster, along with his salary cap hit. Is there any way the Oilers can manage that?)

Interesting that the IIHF World Championships will be held in Sekera's homeland of Slovakia May10-26 this year. I'm sure Slovakia would love to have Sekera in the tournament, and Sekera, health permitting, would probably want to play in the tournament (pending the Oilers getting past the first playoff round, of course).

More cryptic comments from Stauffer, saying today that if it didn't work, they could LTIR the rest of his contract...but that was in response to someone asking what happens if he doesn't come back. It's not really clear what's happening there.

I think the player wants to come back...can't see why he'd be skating line rushes etc. with the team if he didn't think his recovery was on track...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729154 is a reply to message #729139 ]
Tue, 29 January 2019 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 28 January 2019 15:25

More cryptic comments from Stauffer, saying today that if it didn't work, they could LTIR the rest of his contract...but that was in response to someone asking what happens if he doesn't come back. It's not really clear what's happening there.

I think the player wants to come back...can't see why he'd be skating line rushes etc. with the team if he didn't think his recovery was on track...

I think they are giving him the lupul special.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729155 is a reply to message #729139 ]
Tue, 29 January 2019 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Does anyone know how LTIR works when it comes to whether a player is fit to play or not? What I mean is in the case of Sekera. He's rehabbing and skating with the team in and effort to come back but what if he's not able to keep up? I am sure his injury is healed and he can get to the point where he can go out on the ice and skate around really well so to the average person, he looks fine. But he might not be up to NHL level. So if he can only get to a level where he's a good enough skater to say play in some European league which would be a step or 2 below the NHL, is that grounds enough to keep him on LTIR?

I just wonder if that is true because when your listen to Stauffer talk, he never says Sekera could be done with hockey, he just keeps saying over and over again how he is not sure Sekera will ever be able to play at the NHL level again.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729157 is a reply to message #729155 ]
Tue, 29 January 2019 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 29 January 2019 09:27

Does anyone know how LTIR works when it comes to whether a player is fit to play or not? What I mean is in the case of Sekera. He's rehabbing and skating with the team in and effort to come back but what if he's not able to keep up? I am sure his injury is healed and he can get to the point where he can go out on the ice and skate around really well so to the average person, he looks fine. But he might not be up to NHL level. So if he can only get to a level where he's a good enough skater to say play in some European league which would be a step or 2 below the NHL, is that grounds enough to keep him on LTIR?

I just wonder if that is true because when your listen to Stauffer talk, he never says Sekera could be done with hockey, he just keeps saying over and over again how he is not sure Sekera will ever be able to play at the NHL level again.

Not 100% on it, but wasn’t Lupul on LTIR with the Leafs and then there was a big thing how he wasn’t actually injured and the PA had an outside doc look at him to ‘determine’ he is still injured and unable to play?

If he's (Sekera) truly fit, in his mind, and wants to return but the Oilers say no, the PA and the League can step in, no? As long as he has some doctor somewhere, recognized by the NHL, say he’s fit?

Like I said, I don’t know 100% so flame away if I’m way off base. Just wanted to be included icon_biggrin

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729158 is a reply to message #729157 ]
Tue, 29 January 2019 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 29 January 2019 10:18

Not 100% on it, but wasn’t Lupul on LTIR with the Leafs and then there was a big thing how he wasn’t actually injured and the PA had an outside doc look at him to ‘determine’ he is still injured and unable to play?

If he's (Sekera) truly fit, in his mind, and wants to return but the Oilers say no, the PA and the League can step in, no? As long as he has some doctor somewhere, recognized by the NHL, say he’s fit?

Like I said, I don’t know 100% so flame away if I’m way off base. Just wanted to be included icon_biggrin

I don't know either. The reason I was asking is maybe in his mind, Sekera thinks he can play pro hockey but he might not be an NHLer anymore due to injury. There are lots of guys who are stars in European leagues but would be lucky to be a extra forward/dman in the NHL. Go watch the Spengler Cup and it's loaded with guys who would be really good AHLers but wouldn't crack an NHL line up full time.

You can blame a team for signing a guy for too much money and term thinking he will be a top 6 forward or top 4 dman but he ends up not being that. But in the case if Sekera. He was the Oilers best dman for a time and if he didn't get hurt, he'd easily be at least a decent second pairing dman.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729159 is a reply to message #729154 ]
Tue, 29 January 2019 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Mullet wrote on Tue, 29 January 2019 08:20

I think they are giving him the lupul special.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. Would make some of the peculiar pick ups this season make a little more sense if you weren't concerned about fitting Sekera's salary back in.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729163 is a reply to message #729158 ]
Tue, 29 January 2019 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 29 January 2019 11:51

I don't know either. The reason I was asking is maybe in his mind, Sekera thinks he can play pro hockey but he might not be an NHLer anymore due to injury. There are lots of guys who are stars in European leagues but would be lucky to be a extra forward/dman in the NHL. Go watch the Spengler Cup and it's loaded with guys who would be really good AHLers but wouldn't crack an NHL line up full time.

You can blame a team for signing a guy for too much money and term thinking he will be a top 6 forward or top 4 dman but he ends up not being that. But in the case if Sekera. He was the Oilers best dman for a time and if he didn't get hurt, he'd easily be at least a decent second pairing dman.

Absolutely, he and Russell made a good pair tbh. He also allowed Nurse to be a little more sheltered for his development. Our D corps just hasn’t been the same since Getzlaf took Sek out (and obvious unfortunate Achilles injury the following year). Chia couldn’t replace him, whether it by ignorance hoping that Nurse would be able to fill the role or by sheer bad timing, though still didn’t appear to try to remedy the situation.

For all intents and purposes Klefbom is back now. If somehow Reggie, and I mean 100% healthy and ‘himself’ Reggie, can come back our D is a whole heck of a lot better. Though we’d still have 4 #6-7 dmen for 1 spot.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #729164 is a reply to message #729158 ]
Tue, 29 January 2019 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 29 January 2019 10:51

There's some differences between Sekera and Lupul.

The Leafs never let Lupul come back and start skating with the team. That indicates a desire to return and a belief that he's close.

It was an open secret that Lupul could play and was being held out for two straight seasons. There was talk about it on Oilers Now the year before it became a big deal - all because of some tweets about Lupul which he responded to showing that he had been skiing, so wasn't quite as damaged as reports had suggested.

He failed the physical that the league forced on the team after that, but I think that Lamoriello had made clear that if he were to force his hand and come back, he'd be in the minors riding buses and maybe not playing too often.

Sekera's no-move clause prevents the Oilers from burying him. If he can get cleared to play, he's on the roster unless we convince him to waive that clause. He ain't doing that for the AHL. (Yes, I know that he's said he'd do a conditioning stint, but he still counts on the NHL roster if he does that).

The Oilers don't have a Lamoriello in their group. I don't think we can make Sekera disappear unless his body really has given up on him.

Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca