This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers assign four more including Nurse...
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607354]
Tue, 24 September 2013 22:53 Go to next message
Regulator  is currently offline Regulator

1 Cup

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
#Oilers have assigned defencemen Taylor Fedun (OKC) and Darnell Nurse (OHL) plus forwards Tyler Pitlick (OKC) and Anton Lander (OKC).

dkb19 wrote on Mon, 20 July 2009 13:05 (re: Horcoff)

He's like a mastercard comercial, alot of what he does is priceless.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607356 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Tue, 24 September 2013 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

1 Cup

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't the last time we sent down a 1st round pick in his 1st season back when Eberle went to the Falcons?

Good on the Oilers for showing some restraint and not rushing Nurse, who looks like he's on track to be a beast!!

"I hope that went well. ... that's the team I want to go to..." -Taylor Hall.

...asked if he was excited for the draft to be over, Yakupov said: "It's not over. It's just starting."

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607357 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Tue, 24 September 2013 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

The only surprise is Fedun. Haven't seen the last of him though. Still a bit raw and will develop better playing big minutes. Had a very good camp.

Acton simply outplayed Lander. Am glad to see Pitlick back on the radar. And can't wait for Nurse's return after another year of filling out.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607358 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Tue, 24 September 2013 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Great camp by Fedun, Nurse, Pitlick now they can get lots of ice time and keep developing.

Hopefully Lander can step it up too, but I think he'll be a tweener. Acton definitely out performed him.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607363 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

Regulator wrote on Tue, 24 September 2013 21:53

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m
#Oilers have assigned defencemen Taylor Fedun (OKC) and Darnell Nurse (OHL) plus forwards Tyler Pitlick (OKC) and Anton Lander (OKC).

Nurse will not play in the AHL, he comes back next year, plus 20 pounds, he's starting, already looks better than Klefbomb.
I'm not sure we ever see Lander.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607365 is a reply to message #607363 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 24 September 2013 23:01

Between Omark, Lander, Paajarvi hopefully the Oilers aren't drafting from the SEL again anytime soon.

I'm looking at you Klefbom to probe me wrong.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607369 is a reply to message #607365 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 24 September 2013 23:08

Between Omark, Lander, Paajarvi hopefully the Oilers aren't drafting from the SEL again anytime soon.

Gee, if he does, I hope he warms his hands first.. :)

Ya, I'm crossing my fingers too, only thing I care about is that he stays healthy and gets in a full season in the AHL under T. Nelson. I remember him looking good in Junior champs, but then so do a lot of guys you never hear of again.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607370 is a reply to message #607369 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 24 September 2013 23:37

Ya, I'm crossing my fingers too, only thing I care about is that he stays healthy and gets in a full season in the AHL under T. Nelson. I remember him looking good in Junior champs, but then so do a lot of guys you never hear of again.

Well now, there's an unfortunate typo. Be gentle.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607371 is a reply to message #607370 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 00:41

With typos like that, who needs enemas?

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607372 is a reply to message #607371 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

v4ance wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 00:44

nullterm wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 00:41

With typos like that, who needs enemas?

Ah, quit making him the butt of the joke.

"Life is warfare and the sojourn of a stranger in a strange land." - Marcus Aurelius

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607373 is a reply to message #607370 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 24 September 2013 23:41

Trying to imagine what is worse, probed right, or probed wrong... thinkin' probably the last one..

OK .. last one, promise..

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607379 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Good for Fedun, Will get the top minutes in OKC, and then I can see him as a good 3rd pairing up here if needed.

Back-to-back prediction champ

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607380 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

3 Cups

I'm almost disappointed that Nurse will be headed back to juniors. I understand the reasoning and logic behind the decision, but damn, he made an impression on me. I tremendously look forward to his NHL debut -- maybe next year?

PS and thread derail: has Klefbom ever made this sort of impression on us fans? All I can think on is glowing assessments from Tambo, MacT, but I have never been personally overwhelmed about the guy.

Maybe I'm overly pro-Nurse but I can accept that, I'm just a fan, and at that, only a tier-2 fan! icon_cool

"I still feel like the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment" - MacT

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607384 is a reply to message #607380 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

I've been whelmed by Klefbom, but not overly.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607385 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

Some people out there speculating that Jones will be on the wire today, partially based on the fact that he deleted his Twitter account last night.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607386 is a reply to message #607385 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

There's lots of good reasons to delete a twitter of which being put on waivers is only one.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607387 is a reply to message #607386 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 10:36

There's lots of good reasons to delete a twitter of which being put on waivers is only one.

Yes. Hence "speculating". Perhaps I should have posted in Speculation, but it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607389 is a reply to message #607387 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prophet  is currently offline Prophet

No Cups

hmc wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 08:40

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 10:36

Yes. Hence "speculating". Perhaps I should have posted in Speculation, but it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Makes sense. Would be a shame to see someone like Joensuu who has had a far better camp be send down so he could stay up. Still, feel pretty bad for Jones if this is the case. Proved he was a legitimate NHLer with the Oilers only to have that freak injury take a big part of his game away.

"They will play what I tell them to play, for I am the mayor of Albuquerque"

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607392 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

No real surprises here.

Pitlick showed a lot this camp and likely earned himself another NHL contract if he can follow that up with a solid year in OKC. He and Khaira could form a nice fourth line in a couple years if both continue to develop well.

Lander was disappointing since I think he has a better tool set than Acton. He's young and has time to grow as a prospect, but he seems to be regressing which is troubling.

Sending Nurse back to the OHL was absolutely the right call, for many reasons. Not putting him in for 9 NHL games was also the right decision. But boy, he'll be an exciting prospect to watch, thoroughly impressive and has all the tools and smarts to be a top defensemen in the NHL. Nurse, Schultz, Klefbom, and Petry have the potential to be a very good Top-4 in 2 or 3 or 4 years time.

And it's probably the right call with Fedun, although like I mentioned before, I'd like to get him into the NHL sooner rather than later. At 25, he's the same age as Jeff Petry, two years older than Justin Schultz and Philip Larsen, and only two years younger than Ladislav Smid and Anton Belov. You'd like to continue his progression and development forward or else you risk running into the "career AHLer" tag, somewhat like Brad Hunt (who is also 25). I expect we'll see him sometime this year as Fedun will be the first callup, followed by some variation of Davidson, Marincin, and Klefbom. Still, I wouldn't have hated seeing Larsen and Fedun as 7th and 8th defensemen rotating in and out of the lineup. And if Nick Schultz is moved (not by any means a rush, but probably the most expendable on the blueline when factoring contract, age, minutes, etc.), Fedun seems like a guy who could move up.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607396 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

It'll be interesting to see which two of Hamilton, Eager, and Jones sticks. If I had to bet, I think I'd bet on Hamilton and Eager. If it was my choice, I'd go with Hamilton and Jones.

In Jones defense, the last time he had a training camp he was also very poor (I was upset they waived Brule in place of Jones since I thought Brule had a great camp). Ryan Jones then went out and scored 17 goals and was an effective player for the Oilers. It's for that reason I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt; he's proved me wrong before.

I think Hamilton sticks. His relationship and familiarity with Dallas Eakins won't hurt him, but he's also earned a spot, overcoming a two-way contract that would have made it easy to send him to OKC. He's been physical, he's put up some points in a fourth line role, and he seems like a safe player, someone who will help you on the ice more than hurt you. He's done enough for me this preseason to think he's earned that 12/13th forward spot.

As for Eager, I guess I see him a bit redundant with Brown and MacIntyre here. He likely is a better hockey player than both of them, has better hands, is a better skater. He can be effective when he is aggressive and playing a pest. But in addition to not seeing the need for all three guys, I also worry about his concussion history and how effective he'll be if he doesn't have the ability to throw down if the need arises.

I think Hamilton will stick; will be interesting to see and hear the resulting debates regarding Eager/Jones. That's a tough call.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607398 is a reply to message #607396 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 09:02

It'll be interesting to see which two of Hamilton, Eager, and Jones sticks. If I had to bet, I think I'd bet on Hamilton and Eager. If it was my choice, I'd go with Hamilton and Jones.

In Jones defense, the last time he had a training camp he was also very poor (I was upset they waived Brule in place of Jones since I thought Brule had a great camp). Ryan Jones then went out and scored 17 goals and was an effective player for the Oilers. It's for that reason I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt; he's proved me wrong before.

I think Hamilton sticks. His relationship and familiarity with Dallas Eakins won't hurt him, but he's also earned a spot, overcoming a two-way contract that would have made it easy to send him to OKC. He's been physical, he's put up some points in a fourth line role, and he seems like a safe player, someone who will help you on the ice more than hurt you. He's done enough for me this preseason to think he's earned that 12/13th forward spot.

As for Eager, I guess I see him a bit redundant with Brown and MacIntyre here. He likely is a better hockey player than both of them, has better hands, is a better skater. He can be effective when he is aggressive and playing a pest. But in addition to not seeing the need for all three guys, I also worry about his concussion history and how effective he'll be if he doesn't have the ability to throw down if the need arises.

I think Hamilton will stick; will be interesting to see and hear the resulting debates regarding Eager/Jones. That's a tough call.

I said it in the other thread talking about Jones/Hamilton, but same thing applies with Eager/Hamilton. If he's a guy who's going to watch from the sky half the nights, it makes no sense to have the team spend extra dollars and cap space to have him here. I think Eager and Jones will both hold their roster spot. If one of them is found a new home during the year or once injuries hit, I could see Hamilton up with the team, but until then, I think the team saves the money and sends down the two-way deal.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607482 is a reply to message #607380 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MidnightCopper  is currently offline MidnightCopper

No Cups

I was a little peeved in the way the interview went with an obviously disappointed Darnell...asking him how it feels to be cut.He is really being re-assigned...which would have been a more appropriate way to start an interview with a player. He will back with Edmonton soon...no doubt about that.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #607483 is a reply to message #607482 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

MidnightCopper wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 18:56

I was a little peeved in the way the interview went with an obviously disappointed Darnell...asking him how it feels to be cut.He is really being re-assigned...which would have been a more appropriate way to start an interview with a player. He will back with Edmonton soon...no doubt about that.

Meh, whether ya call it re-assigned or cut it's the same thing to him. Nurse had his hopes set on being an Oiler and an NHL salary. Which word some web reporter uses probably doesn't matter at all in the moment.

Maybe giving the guy a night to sleep on it maybe, but he'll be a pro hockey player. Part of the life.

Re: Oilers assign four more including Nurse... [message #613021 is a reply to message #607354 ]
Sun, 03 November 2013 20:12 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Sure glad they never kept up Nurse! He'd be one of their best D-men, but he'd be ruined having to play with this bunch, learning bad habits, and losing good habits. It'd be a total demoralization for him.

Previous Topic:Perron on waivers?!??
Next Topic:GDT: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #15)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright OilFans.com 1996-2013.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca