This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45)
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750771]
Mon, 06 January 2020 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Toronto to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2019-20 Regular Season
Saturday, December 14, 2019Toronto 4 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Monday, January 6, 2020Edmonton 6 @ Toronto 4Win
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 1/6 Total: 7
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/4 Total: 8

2018-19 Regular Season
Wednesday, February 27, 2019Edmonton 2 @ Toronto 6Loss
Saturday, March 9, 2019Toronto 3 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 2/2 Total: 4
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/6 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750772 is a reply to message #750771 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Oh hey, the Leafs. If the Oilers want to win this one they’ll have to carry forward their play from Saturday in Boston. If they don’t, this one will be ugly. This Leafs team has been playing great hockey since Mr. Babcock was shown the door.

Must have 60 minute effort. MUST WIN!!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750773 is a reply to message #750771 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Oilers haven't beat the Leafs since Feb 11, 2016. Not holding out too much hope.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750774 is a reply to message #750773 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack
Mike Smith will make his third straight start tonight vs Leafs.

Now this would be game 19 (>30 mins) for Smith tonight. One more after that for the 125k bonus.

Hope he can actually earn it!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750775 is a reply to message #750774 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Someone correct me if I am wrong but since joining the Oilers, I don't think McDavid has had one of his amazing games he is capable of in Toronto. I don't seem to remember him having a really good game against the Leafs.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750776 is a reply to message #750775 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 09:36

Someone correct me if I am wrong but since joining the Oilers, I don't think McDavid has had one of his amazing games he is capable of in Toronto. I don't seem to remember him having a really good game against the Leafs.

He usually had to wear a Kadri sized backpack in TO games until this year. Hopefully he can have a good game in his 2nd Kadri-less game tonight.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750792 is a reply to message #750775 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

By McDavid's standards, his career stats are average against the Leafs.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/preview-oilers-at-maple-leaf s/c-313517342?tid=282301100

"Connor McDavid has 11 points (4G, 7A) in eight all-time outings against the Maple Leafs."

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750794 is a reply to message #750792 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 11:22

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/preview-oilers-at-maple-leaf s/c-313517342?tid=282301100

"Connor McDavid has 11 points (4G, 7A) in eight all-time outings against the Maple Leafs."

How could we forget. His rookie year he had a 5 point night. Shortly after he came back from his collarbone injury. First 4+ point night of his career. Last time we beat them I guess. No Kadri backpack in the lineup that night, leafs were already in maximum tank mode for Matthews. Roman Polak on D and Komarov at F were their top ice time guys that night, lol.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 January 2020 11:53]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750795 is a reply to message #750771 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Everyone's favourite TSN Maple Leaf fan columnist Travis Yost with a comparison of the team's behind the two first overall picks:

https://www.tsn.ca/connor-mcdavid-auston-matthews-and-the-va lue-of-a-supporting-cast-1.1423081

Other than the ridiculous part at the start where he suggests McDavid & Matthews are almost mirror images of each other as a player along with Jack Eichel, the article makes some pretty good points about the flaws in team-building that the Oilers have made - and I have to concede, the Leafs have done a MUCH better job there. The table he uses really shows the difference that depth makes.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750798 is a reply to message #750795 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 11:43

Everyone's favourite TSN Maple Leaf fan columnist Travis Yost with a comparison of the team's behind the two first overall picks:

https://www.tsn.ca/connor-mcdavid-auston-matthews-and-the-va lue-of-a-supporting-cast-1.1423081

Other than the ridiculous part at the start where he suggests McDavid & Matthews are almost mirror images of each other as a player along with Jack Eichel, the article makes some pretty good points about the flaws in team-building that the Oilers have made - and I have to concede, the Leafs have done a MUCH better job there. The table he uses really shows the difference that depth makes.

Drafting and developing. We sucked at it for a long time. The best tanks have some D drafted before that are ready to take a big step in sync with the tank for highly picked forwards. The leafs had Rielly and now a consistent flow of solid guys picked and developed through their system now to compliment their tank awards.

At least they still suck though and will never actually win anything. They are the Leafs after all.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 January 2020 11:51]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750800 is a reply to message #750794 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 12:43

How could we forget. His rookie year he had a 5 point night. Shortly after he came back from his collarbone injury. First 4+ point night of his career. Last time we beat them I guess. No Kadri backpack in the lineup that night, leafs were already in maximum tank mode for Matthews. Roman Polak on D and Komarov at F were their top ice time guys that night, lol.

I was at that game! Ebs hat trick as well.

In fairness to RDOF he did start his comment with IN Toronto before broadly saying against the Leafs.

My memory isnt good enough for specifics outside of the game I saw live but hopefully he puts on a show tonight. The Leafs have been on a roll for the last ten or so games.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750804 is a reply to message #750792 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Every time he goes to play the Leafs in Toronto it get's hyped up and it's been a long time since I can remember him having a big time game. You take out the 5 pt game and the Leafs have kept him in check for the most part when it comes to McDavid standards.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 January 2020 12:15]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750805 is a reply to message #750804 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 13:13

I never said I thought he's been bad. Every time he goes to play the Leafs in Toronto it get's hyped up and it's been a long time since I can remember him having a big time game. You take out the 5 pt game and the Leafs have kept him in check for the most part when it comes to McDavid standards.

Someone earlier said that McDavid had to wear a Kadri sized backpack in previous games... which is spot on. Will be interesting to see what he can do without that extra 200 pounds.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750806 is a reply to message #750805 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 12:15

I never said I thought he's been bad. Every time he goes to play the Leafs in Toronto it get's hyped up and it's been a long time since I can remember him having a big time game. You take out the 5 pt game and the Leafs have kept him in check for the most part when it comes to McDavid standards.

Someone earlier said that McDavid had to wear a Kadri sized backpack in previous games... which is spot on. Will be interesting to see what he can do without that extra 200 pounds.

Yeah, someone earlier said it would be nice to see what he can do without an extra 200 pounds on his back. I would like to see that too.

Did see it once this year I guess. Didn't go so well. Maybe 2nd time will be a charm.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750807 is a reply to message #750795 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Yost lost my interest as soon as he grouped Matthews and then Eichel in with McDavid. Both those 2 players are really, really good players but they aren't on McDavid's level. Get real. You wouldn't trade either of those 2 straight up, it's either of those 2 plus additional prospects.

This whole notion that any Toronto based media guy has to compare Matthews to McDavid is ridiculous. Matthews is one hell of a player but he's not on the same level. There isn't anything wrong with that. As the Oilers have proven, having the best player in the world doesn't mean you automatically win. You can have really, really good players like Matthews and do as good or better than a team with McDavid. They should be happy with the fact the Leafs have him and have a good team rather than sound like they are jealous.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 January 2020 12:26]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750809 is a reply to message #750806 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 13:16

Yeah, someone earlier said it would be nice to see what he can do without an extra 200 pounds on his back. I would like to see that too.

Did see it once this year I guess. Didn't go so well. Maybe 2nd time will be a charm.

I mean dude should be used to carrying a butt ton of weight on his back as he shoulders the offensive load along with Leon.

But ya. Does Lauren live in the YYZ area!? Maybe he’s bagged from extracurriculars?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750814 is a reply to message #750807 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 12:18

Yost lost my interest as soon as he grouped Matthews and then Eichel in with McDavid. Both those 2 players are really, really good players but they aren't on McDavid's level. Get real. You wouldn't trade either of those 2 straight up, it's either of those 2 plus additional prospects.

This whole notion that any Toronto based media guy has to compare Matthews to McDavid is ridiculous. Matthews is one hell of a player but he's not on the same level. There isn't anything wrong with that. As the Oilers have proven, having the best player in the world doesn't mean you automatically win. You can have really, really good players like Matthews and do as good or better than a team with McDavid. They should be happy with the fact the Leafs have him and have a good team rather than sound like they are jealous.

It's just wishful thinking from some reporters who (like all of them no matter what they say) have never been able to kill the fanboy inside them. They want Matthews to be on the same level with McDavid - even though he's so obviously not.

Still, the article is a good one and makes some really good points - even with a little Leafs bias.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750815 is a reply to message #750814 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Yost is a stats guy. I am surprised he hasn't found a way to project Matthews as the greatest goal scorer of all time. Maybe he is saving that article for later.

I am of the opinion that if he wants to compare Matthews to an Oiler, then compare him to Leon. Until Matthews cracks 100 pts and 50 goals, I am not even sure I would do a Matthews for Leon trade. If the money was equal, then maybe but not with Matthews making 3 mill more.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750818 is a reply to message #750815 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 12:52

Yost is a stats guy. I am surprised he hasn't found a way to project Matthews as the greatest goal scorer of all time. Maybe he is saving that article for later.

I am of the opinion that if he wants to compare Matthews to an Oiler, then compare him to Leon. Until Matthews cracks 100 pts and 50 goals, I am not even sure I would do a Matthews for Leon trade. If the money was equal, then maybe but not with Matthews making 3 mill more.

Uhhh...the article isn't about Matthews.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750821 is a reply to message #750818 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 13:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 12:52

Uhhh...the article isn't about Matthews.

SO?

I was talking about Matthews and statement early in the article about splitting hairs between McDavid and Matthews. 5th paragraph from the top of the article.

I said Yost is a stats guy which he is. I referenced him thinking Matthews and McDavid are very close, which he said in the 5th paragraph. I was making a sarcastic comment based on that statement. Is that not allowed?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750824 is a reply to message #750821 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Leafs lineup vs. Oilers tonight:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Spezza-Kapanen
Marchment-Brooks-Gauthier

Rielly-Barrie
Dermott-Ceci
Marincin-Holl

Andersen

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750825 is a reply to message #750771 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I see the article more about the Leafs being a better team than the Oilers, rather than Matthews is better than McDavid. Yost said ‘splitting hairs’, which I took as McDavid alone is not going to beat out Matthews and company.

Hard to argue. Here’s hoping Smith looks like he did on Saturday afternoon. That and the whole team playing 60 minutes. We can beat any team in the league. Unfortunately we can also lose to every team. Let’s see the Oilers take some money off of the board tonight. Guarantee #97 has a good night out in Vegas pinned up for the boys.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 January 2020 14:10]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750829 is a reply to message #750771 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Not feeling so hot for this one.

Maybe Smith is brilliant again... then again maybe I'm the winner of a Lotto/MAX jackpot.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750831 is a reply to message #750825 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 14:08

I see the article more about the Leafs being a better team than the Oilers, rather than Matthews is better than McDavid. Yost said ‘splitting hairs’, which I took as McDavid alone is not going to beat out Matthews and company.

Hard to argue. Here’s hoping Smith looks like he did on Saturday afternoon. That and the whole team playing 60 minutes. We can beat any team in the league. Unfortunately we can also lose to every team. Let’s see the Oilers take some money off of the board tonight. Guarantee #97 has a good night out in Vegas pinned up for the boys.

In my opinion, the Leafs and Oilers are different by about 1 player. The Leafs to date haven't sold off any young forwards to address their need which is defense. They have lots of offensive forwards that can score a lot but their defense still sucks. On nights they can't outscore their problems, they lose. They have enough scoring that can get them in the playoffs. But when playoffs come where the ref put away the whistles, scoring goes down and the hockey gets tougher, the LEafs don't win. I have very little doubt that the Leafs will make the playoffs but I have my doubt they will go far again.

THe Oilers jumped the gun and sold off Hall to try to improve the defense. IT worked to a degree but they didn't have enough scoring in the system to replace Hall to any extent. If the Hall trade doesn't happen, the Oilers big 4 would be McDavid, Leon, Nuge, Hall. Compared to the Leafs Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander. I'd take the Oilers big 4.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750837 is a reply to message #750831 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Not really feeling the decision to start Smith again but hopefully it works out. Also never thought I'd say this but when is Benning coming back? Seems like he really stabilizes the back end a bit when he's in the lineup

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750838 is a reply to message #750807 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 12:18

If Matthews basically equals McDavid, then who the heck can stand up to the leafs best PPG player (not to mention their best playoff performer in the age of Matthews) Mitch Marner? Might just leave Gretzky or Lemiuex as the hair split equivalent :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750839 is a reply to message #750809 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 12:32

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 13:16

I mean dude should be used to carrying a butt ton of weight on his back as he shoulders the offensive load along with Leon.

But ya. Does Lauren live in the YYZ area!? Maybe he’s bagged from extracurriculars?

Every time McD plays against the Leafs it's like he's filling out a job application for the future...

Pi55e5 me off.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750885 is a reply to message #750831 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 15:05

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 14:08

In my opinion, the Leafs and Oilers are different by about 1 player. The Leafs to date haven't sold off any young forwards to address their need which is defense. They have lots of offensive forwards that can score a lot but their defense still sucks. On nights they can't outscore their problems, they lose. They have enough scoring that can get them in the playoffs. But when playoffs come where the ref put away the whistles, scoring goes down and the hockey gets tougher, the LEafs don't win. I have very little doubt that the Leafs will make the playoffs but I have my doubt they will go far again.

THe Oilers jumped the gun and sold off Hall to try to improve the defense. IT worked to a degree but they didn't have enough scoring in the system to replace Hall to any extent. If the Hall trade doesn't happen, the Oilers big 4 would be McDavid, Leon, Nuge, Hall. Compared to the Leafs Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander. I'd take the Oilers big 4.

If Hall is your one player difference, then I’d argue we are in today’s reality, two legitimate top 6 forwards away from the leafs. Yamamoto looks good, he is still young and if I could I’d replace Neal and relegate him to third line top PP duty.

Our blue lines are both substandard, but I have a lot of time for Morgan Reilly despite his warts. Marincin is a turd.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45) [message #750886 is a reply to message #750829 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 22:00 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 15:00

Not feeling so hot for this one.

Maybe Smith is brilliant again... then again maybe I'm the winner of a Lotto/MAX jackpot.

Congrats buddy. Oilfan.com Vegas party?

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #45)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca