This day on December 7
None

Happy Birthday To: E-townchamps, Piercimo, Lupul15, Jakey, codysunshine, Oilersfanforever, danielduperron

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » MacT End of Season Press Conf
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598172]
Mon, 29 April 2013 15:16 Go to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668340

I will say, having him in an interview is infinitely better than listening to Tambo dither on and say nothing.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598174 is a reply to message #598172 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 15:16

I will say, having him in an interview is infinitely better than listening to Tambo dither on and say nothing.

Hehe, what I would give for him to name names. Like who were these players where the best they could be in any given game was a "non-factor".

Such a candid conference from MacT, almost going to far IMO. 6-8 new players... Quite the prediction for himself to carry out.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598175 is a reply to message #598172 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 14:16

I like the fact he brought the fact about the bottom half of the order not playing up to the potential he expected. Also said the skilled players need to work on the defensive side of the game.

Talked about having future convos with Khabi, Gagner and Hemsky. I think in the case of Gagner, he probably wants to gauge how hard the negotiations will be with him and if it gives him an out on the trade possibility.

No mention on a similar convo with Belanger??

His mention of Smyth coming back worries me but he did mention the fact about "players not criticizing their own game (paraphasing)"...

Another mention about the analytics "hocus-pocus" as Stauffer mentioned. Stauffer not a fan of it??

Really we should be making a hard look at our pro-scouting staff; that needs to be upgraded. I think MacT want them to use the analytics piece more in their evaluations than before. But make the pro-scouting staff more accountable for their actions...

As you said nullterm, at least he had frank answers not just stock mumblings...

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598176 is a reply to message #598174 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

oobga wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 14:28

nullterm wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 15:16

Hehe, what I would give for him to name names. Like who were these players where the best they could be in any given game was a "non-factor".

Such a candid conference from MacT, almost going to far IMO. 6-8 new players... Quite the prediction for himself to carry out.

I'd guess: Belanger, Petrell, Eager, Hordi, to some extent Jones (based on tough start and vision) and Smyth (though based on age, rather than heart).

Guys that can make the team, but don't bring a unique element that can put your team ahead (score, big & nasty, physical forecheck, etc).

I wonder if the Oil walk away from Jones with his vision issues. If he doesn't have the same vision to be able to put up points, then does he bring enough physicality to be worth it?

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598177 is a reply to message #598172 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

I hate that I'm buying what MacT is selling.

He sounds competent, thoughtful, and makes me feel that he knows what to do to fix the problems.

- I hate that.. I want to believe in my Oilers dynasty nepotism thing... I'm right aren't I?

AREN'T I?

Sigh..

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598178 is a reply to message #598177 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 14:42

He sounds competent, thoughtful, and makes me feel that he knows what to do to fix the problems.

- I hate that.. I want to believe in my Oilers dynasty nepotism thing... I'm right aren't I?

AREN'T I?

Sigh..

It's okay to like it in the short term. We've been stuck with a guy who sucked at his job and wasn't even good to listen to.

When we can start to know if he'll be any good is free agency and draft day.

Then we know if he is trying to build the next Hawks or fill the roster with the Toby Petersen's of the NHL.

With the cap coming down, he/we might be able to profit from some cap heavy teams needing to shed salary and having to give up some talent/beef in the process.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 April 2013 15:46]

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598179 is a reply to message #598172 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

MacT isn't an idiot.

I'm just not sure he will make the tough decisions about players and friends who need to be fired or let go (see Smyth). It's a terribly hard thing, I would imagine. It's easier if you don't have the previous relationship.

We'll see, I guess.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598180 is a reply to message #598178 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 15:44

AREN'T I?

Sigh..

It's okay to like it in the short term. We've been stuck with a guy who sucked at his job and wasn't even good to listen to.

When we can start to know if he'll be any good is free agency and draft day.

Then we know if he is trying to build the next Hawks or fill the roster with the Toby Petersen's of the NHL.

Doesn't sound like it will take too long for us to pass some meaningful judgment on MacT. 6-8 new players, we can consult the advanced stats folks and either boo or cheer before the puck even drops next season icon_wink.

Count me in as taking little sips of the Kool-Aid for now.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598184 is a reply to message #598172 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

No Cups

What a breath of fresh air that was.

So glad I did have to see that stupid smile on Tambo's face, and hear those cliche answers anymore.

I'm buying what this man is selling, by the boat load. I think we will see alot of moves we would have NEVER see from Tambo. Some that might not even makes sense at first.

As long as he doesn't do anything stupid like Gillis, and trade a future leader (Hodgson), for a scumbag (Kassian).

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598185 is a reply to message #598184 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Hemmer2Eberle wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 15:10

As long as he doesn't do anything stupid like Gillis, and trade a future leader (Hodgson), for a scumbag (Kassian).

The fact he was speaking highly of Gagner makes me hopeful he's not about to pull the stupid trigger.

It's gonna be fun watching Kassian get all kinds of opportunity in Canuck land to justify a boneheaded trade, but at the end of the day he's just a plug benefitting from some occasional ice time with the Sedins.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598186 is a reply to message #598184 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PunkInDrublic  is currently offline PunkInDrublic

No Cups

Hemmer2Eberle wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 16:10

So glad I did have to see that stupid smile on Tambo's face, and hear those cliche answers anymore.

I'm buying what this man is selling, by the boat load. I think we will see alot of moves we would have NEVER see from Tambo. Some that might not even makes sense at first.

Absolutely. No more generalities and talking in circles.

I like what I heard. Make it happen Mac T... 6-8 new players.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598189 is a reply to message #598186 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

PunkInDrublic wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 16:13

Hemmer2Eberle wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 16:10

Absolutely. No more generalities and talking in circles.

I like what I heard. Make it happen Mac T... 6-8 new players.

6-8 players would correspond to the greatest needs for the team right now: 2-3 good D-men and 4-5 forwards to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines. Let's hope he can find the right guys to fill those holes.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598190 is a reply to message #598172 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

If I'm not mistaken, he didn't use the dreaded word "evaluate" once.

you do all realize that anything Tambo did... [message #598194 is a reply to message #598172 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chief  is currently offline Chief

No Cups

or did not do had the approval of Lowe and McTavish? NOW they can say we will do bold things but they refused to do so before. What a load.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598195 is a reply to message #598172 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Basically a reiteration of things we have all known (including my 13 year old son) for ages now.

MacT himself said 2 weeks ago that talk is cheap. He seems very ambitious to say the least. I'm not sure how difficult he realizes this may be. I was doing backflips when we got Eager and look how that turned out. That being said I didn't have the luxury of time and resources to do effective background checking that our former GM did. Perhaps there were 29 other GM's that realized Tambellini didn't in fact hit a home run that day.

Anyone would be excited after Tambellini's flaccid info sessions. I guess I was hoping today's presser was to announce a coaching change.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam

Re: you do all realize that anything Tambo did... [message #598196 is a reply to message #598194 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Chief wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 16:34

or did not do had the approval of Lowe and McTavish? NOW they can say we will do bold things but they refused to do so before. What a load.

Tambo was hired to be fired. I think he did have a chance this season to turn it around but failed miserably.

MacT could still yet fail just as miserably. But atleast right now he's saying most of what we're thinking (except the Smyth thing).

They have been pulling the strings throughout.. [message #598198 is a reply to message #598196 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chief  is currently offline Chief

No Cups

I agree that he is a boob but he did what he was told.

Re: They have been pulling the strings throughout.. [message #598199 is a reply to message #598198 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Chief wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 16:39

I agree that he is a boob but he did what he was told.

He was a good company boob.

Re: you do all realize that anything Tambo did... [message #598200 is a reply to message #598196 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 17:36

Chief wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 16:34

MacT could still yet fail just as miserably. But atleast right now he's saying most of what we're thinking (except the Smyth thing).

To say anything otherwise would pretty much be grounds for a public caning in Oil Country.

If our new GM wasn't stating the obvious this server would be down right now.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598211 is a reply to message #598195 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 17:34

Anyone would be excited after Tambellini's flaccid info sessions. I guess I was hoping today's presser was to announce a coaching change.

That would have been a surprise given that MacT had already put his support behind Freddy when he took the GM job. I'm betting that he won't be giving him more than a season as far as seeing whether he's the man for the job, however.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598215 is a reply to message #598177 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

AREN'T I?

Sigh..

... steady now ... its early ...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598217 is a reply to message #598211 ]
Mon, 29 April 2013 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 18:36

g2k wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 17:34

That would have been a surprise given that MacT had already put his support behind Freddy when he took the GM job. I'm betting that he won't be giving him more than a season as far as seeing whether he's the man for the job, however.

Fair enough, but the team seemed pretty unresponsive to a major change and losing in fine fashion to follow that statement from the new GM, therefore I was pining for a change of heart.

I don't feel they were listening to Krueger at all. Forget about those last 2 games. I just wish that the inevitable would have happened today. It will likely happen when there are no good candidates and only former Oilers to be awarded the position by default. Bucky has been an ironman through 4 coaching changes. You have to think his turn is coming. Someone Lowe can keep under his thumb and squish when the heat turns up again.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598360 is a reply to message #598217 ]
Tue, 30 April 2013 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

This team played .100 when they were on a playoff run. Disgusting. Zero motivation. Then they pot a bunch in the last 2 meaningless games.

Want to impress me MacT? Convince Katz to get rid of your buddy Lowe and do a true top to bottom cleaning of this old boys cesspool. Talk is cheap. If your MBA is worth the paper its written on then this would be a truly top to bottom reorganization. There are turn around specialists in the business world who are brought in by a corporate board who know where to cut, hack and reorganize a business to turn it around. Show me you have those skills.

Facta non verba.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598455 is a reply to message #598360 ]
Thu, 02 May 2013 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

The team failed in the playoff run because they felt the pressure and stopped listening to coaching. The five game run was all about the system and following the plan. The kids got believing they could win on their own and stopped following the system. From here we can hope that the players learned their lesson and will follow the plan. The system works, the players just have to follow it.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598459 is a reply to message #598455 ]
Thu, 02 May 2013 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Iamheretoday wrote on Thu, 02 May 2013 08:13

The team failed in the playoff run because they felt the pressure and stopped listening to coaching. The five game run was all about the system and following the plan. The kids got believing they could win on their own and stopped following the system. From here we can hope that the players learned their lesson and will follow the plan. The system works, the players just have to follow it.

Krueger, is that you? (I kid...)

Reading this feels like someone who was within the walls during the run, how do we know they weren't playing the system? Just the kids not following the system lost them the run? What about the vets who showed no leadership and no guidance during early April? I'm sorry but I can't lay all of the blame on the kids not playing the system, they can be cited but not bear full brunt of the blame.

Adding to this, if the kids checked out of Kruegers plan, does that not mean the coach was lost on them? If coach K lost the room at the most crucial time of the season does that not mean that Krueger can't get the job of coaching this team done?

The system may work, and yes, you do need all your players to follow it, but you need a coach that can hold a room and make his players run through walls for him.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: MacT End of Season Press Conf [message #598520 is a reply to message #598459 ]
Thu, 02 May 2013 23:18 Go to previous message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Sadly and seriously, 0.100 during a 10 game stretch where they started in 8th place? During the most critical time of the year? If they would have played that way the entire year it would would have been literally 5 wins (rounding up). There is not showing up and then there is completely flat lining. This is an inexcusable flatline. From April 4th to April 24th......one win in 10. If management had any self respect they would have all resigned. AS if Tambo is the only problem.....

What's really sad? 10 more points, 5 wins, would have gotten them into 8th. They would have only had to play .600 during the span vs .100, very do-able. Very lame finish. I'm not giving this bunch of losers called management any more passes. This simply has to be the most mismanaged team in the NHL bar none in the last decade. They can't trade, they can't develop, they can't coach, and they can't manage, and they bring them back? If it doesn't work, repeat?

Obviously Katz needs the loss to offset his income. That's the only explanation for me....

So this is what hope feels like?

Previous Topic:Yakupov for Calder? Not according to NHL Coaches
Next Topic:The Witch Hunt Continues
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca