This day on June 8
Acquired: Jeff Beukeboom (1983) John Miner (1983) Esa Tikkanen (1983)

Happy Birthday To: Alzz, LFC05, TheOneWhoKnocks

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833410 is a reply to message #833404 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 11:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 11:12

Brown - 1 hit. Really disappointed with him. I got into it with a poster that as a fan base, we should be wanting all players to do well, not hoping for them to fail like the poster was.

Okay, obviously this quip is directed toward myself. I want you to show us all in the pregame thread where I said I wanted Brown to fail.

If you are going to make this claim 2X now, prove your point or stfu.

I know I went to bed last night cursing the name g2k for the Game One defeat. I hope you'll be much more upbeat in the run-up to Game Two so that Brown, if in the lineup, plays much better!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833412 is a reply to message #833410 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 14:14

Brown - 1 hit. Really disappointed with him. I got into it with a poster that as a fan base, we should be wanting all players to do well, not hoping for them to fail like the poster was.

Okay, obviously this quip is directed toward myself. I want you to show us all in the pregame thread where I said I wanted Brown to fail.

I know I went to bed last night cursing the name g2k for the Game One defeat. I hope you'll be much more upbeat in the run-up to Game Two so that Brown, if in the lineup, plays much better!

As we slowly moving back to the fans negativity a province away being the reason for the teams failures? :)

I'm sure Spector will go there if the series goes worse. Sounded almost wimpery on the radio this morning with his anger at fans that dared to blame Nurse/Ceci for anything last night.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833417 is a reply to message #833412 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 14:18

As we slowly moving back to the fans negativity a province away being the reason for the teams failures? :)

I'm sure Spector will go there if the series goes worse. Sounded almost wimpery on the radio this morning with his anger at fans that dared to blame Nurse/Ceci for anything last night.

I thought the whole D core needed to be better, Nurse and Ceci for sure. But which goals did you feel were totally their fault? A big part of my job is figuring out solutions for my projects instead of pointing fingers when something wrong happens so what should they have done better so it doesn't happen again?

1st Goal. Clean faceoff loss. Point shot goes wide, bounces perfectly off the boards to deflect out to Joshua who is there to fire it in. I don't think anyone can anticipate it would bounce that perfectly including Skinner but it did. From the time it hit the boards to it being in the net was what, 1 second, maybe 2?

2nd goal. Nothing play. Lindholm pushed away from the front. Throws the puck towards the goal, deflects off Skinners stick and in.

3rd goal. Boeser can't get to the goal or doesn't have a great shooting lane because both Nurse and McD are there blocking it so he flings it towards the goal. It's going probably 4 feet wide, Miller at the goal line makes an incredible tip. Now I saw probably 10 second earlier Nurse had a chance to get it out by banking it off the boards. You don't want to fire it up the middle because Miller was right there. So he tries to go up the wall but it looks like McD and Boeser where in a scrum at the boards right as Nurse went to bank it and it hit one of their legs and popped to Miller. So in that case, sure blame Nurse. Maybe he should have shot it harder or tried to beat Miller 1 on 1. A little misfortune to have it hit one of Boeser or McD but that was an incredible tip by Miller.

4th goal. He keeps Garland wide and gives him a sharp angle shot from the corner. Skinner by his own admission totally misplayed it and it goes in.

I am not sticking up for them. They need to be better but for this playoff, the Oilers are stuck with them and need them to be good. If the screwed up a coverage, bad pinch, stupid pass, then 100% they deserve to be bashed. I just don't know what they could have done for most of those goals. 2 goals are lucky bounces and 1 was a goal your goalie has to stop 10 out of 10 and he admitted he screwed up. It sucks. confused2

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833423 is a reply to message #833417 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 15:07

I thought the whole D core needed to be better, Nurse and Ceci for sure. But which goals did you feel were totally their fault? A big part of my job is figuring out solutions for my projects instead of pointing fingers when something wrong happens so what should they have done better so it doesn't happen again?

1st Goal. Clean faceoff loss. Point shot goes wide, bounces perfectly off the boards to deflect out to Joshua who is there to fire it in. I don't think anyone can anticipate it would bounce that perfectly including Skinner but it did. From the time it hit the boards to it being in the net was what, 1 second, maybe 2?

2nd goal. Nothing play. Lindholm pushed away from the front. Throws the puck towards the goal, deflects off Skinners stick and in.

3rd goal. Boeser can't get to the goal or doesn't have a great shooting lane because both Nurse and McD are there blocking it so he flings it towards the goal. It's going probably 4 feet wide, Miller at the goal line makes an incredible tip. Now I saw probably 10 second earlier Nurse had a chance to get it out by banking it off the boards. You don't want to fire it up the middle because Miller was right there. So he tries to go up the wall but it looks like McD and Boeser where in a scrum at the boards right as Nurse went to bank it and it hit one of their legs and popped to Miller. So in that case, sure blame Nurse. Maybe he should have shot it harder or tried to beat Miller 1 on 1. A little misfortune to have it hit one of Boeser or McD but that was an incredible tip by Miller.

4th goal. He keeps Garland wide and gives him a sharp angle shot from the corner. Skinner by his own admission totally misplayed it and it goes in.

I am not sticking up for them. They need to be better but for this playoff, the Oilers are stuck with them and need them to be good. If the screwed up a coverage, bad pinch, stupid pass, then 100% they deserve to be bashed. I just don't know what they could have done for most of those goals. 2 goals are lucky bounces and 1 was a goal your goalie has to stop 10 out of 10 and he admitted he screwed up. It sucks. confused2

1st goal. Ceci in no mans land, 2 Canucks at the net. Bad things happened.

2nd goal. Bad clear by Ceci up the boards. lost puck battle by Ceci in the corner. Nurse stick waving at Lindholm, somehow doesn't manage to do a single thing with his stick and Linholm just acts like he isn't there and throws the puck across the crease.

3rd goal. Nurse, pathetic attempt to get the puck out near our blue line. Ceci just staking around clueless having no idea what's happening. McDavid signals to Nurse to take Miller because he has Boeser covered, but Nurse decides he wants to screen his goalie, almost does. Then another stick wave and Miller just casually deflects the puck like Nurse's stick doesn't exist.

4th goal. Terrible read on the rush, Ceci and Nurse again totally failing to stop an entry. Nurse just needed to skate 2 more strides and he can just toss Garland into the corner, or at least get his, ONCE AGAIN, useless stick actually on Garland's stick. He becomes just a pylon. Garland makes the exact move he wants and somehow NUrse's stick does absolutely nothing to interrupt him.

The fixation on the 1 second right before the goal, sure, you can try to excuse this pair. But there was lots more bad stuff leading to these goals. Bad stuff that this pair did over and over. Same kinda bad stuff that ended our playoffs a year ago.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2024 16:26]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833424 is a reply to message #833423 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 16:23

2nd goal. Bad clear by Ceci up the boards. lost puck battle by Ceci in the corner. Nurse stick waving at Lindholm, somehow doesn't manage to do a single thing with his stick and Linholm just acts like he isn't there and throws the puck across the crease.

3rd goal. Nurse, pathetic attempt to get the puck out near our blue line. Ceci just staking around clueless having no idea what's happening. McDavid signals to Nurse to take Miller because he has Boeser covered, but Nurse decides he wants to screen his goalie, almost does. Then another stick wave and Miller just casually deflects the puck like Nurse's stick doesn't exist.

4th goal. Terrible read on the rush, Ceci and Nurse again totally failing to stop an entry. Nurse just needed to skate 2 more strides and he can just toss Garland into the corner, or at least get his, ONE AGAIN, useless stick actually on Garland's stick. He becomes just a pylon.

The fixation on the 1 second right before the goal, sure, you can try to excuse this pair. But there was lots more bad stuff leading to these goals. Bad stuff that this pair did over and over. Same kinda bad stuff that ended our playoffs a year ago.

Based on your language, you are in the camp Nurse and Ceci are useless. So we will never agree and I probably shouldn't have asked because this will be pointless.

For the record, I think they have their flaws, I don't think they are useless.

I listen to what former NHLers says about the play as I am a fan, I never played at that level. I don't listen to what other fans say.

If it was Bouch on the ice, I would bet you would take a different stance so I don't think you are being objective. Is what it is. I will leave it alone.

I was at game 1 of the Kings series. The 4th goal was a shot from the corner against the boards, goes off Nurses skate and in. As I am walking up the section because it was super late for my kid, I heard lots of fans cussing out Nurse as I passed like he did something wrong.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2024 16:32]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833425 is a reply to message #833424 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 16:28

4th goal. Terrible read on the rush, Ceci and Nurse again totally failing to stop an entry. Nurse just needed to skate 2 more strides and he can just toss Garland into the corner, or at least get his, ONE AGAIN, useless stick actually on Garland's stick. He becomes just a pylon.

Based on your language, you are in the camp Nurse and Ceci are useless. So we will never agree and I probably shouldn't have asked because this will be pointless.

For the record, I think they have their flaws, I don't think they are useless.

I listen to what former NHLers says about the play as I am a fan, I never played at that level. I don't listen to what other fans say.

If it was Bouch on the ice, I would bet you would take a different stance so I don't think you are being objective. Is what it is. I will leave it alone.

1st goal, like I said. Wide shot, boucers perfectly off the boards.

Bouch and Ek are not consistently doing these things. That's the issue. People paying attention know what is happening with this Nurse/Ceci pair. They very consistently do things that lead to chance against, and long periods of pressure in our zone. Neither is good at passing to help start transitions. This is stuff that almost every team in the league has started to realize affects a teams share of scoring chances. When you have players poor at stopping entries, poor at transition play, consistently having poor analytics unless they get super high quality teammates to push play for them. It is a consistent weakness in your roster that can be exploited.

I'm not cherry picking stuff here. This stuff literally happened and it all happened a year ago against Vegas, and it's sad how completely expected it is and our GM did nothing about it with honestly years to try to fix it.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2024 16:34]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833426 is a reply to message #833423 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

4th goal. Terrible read on the rush, Ceci and Nurse again totally failing to stop an entry. Nurse just needed to skate 2 more strides and he can just toss Garland into the corner, or at least get his, ONCE AGAIN, useless stick actually on Garland's stick. He becomes just a pylon. Garland makes the exact move he wants and somehow NUrse's stick does absolutely nothing to interrupt him.

I mentioned after the first period last night that we were loose and sloppy on a bunch of plays, costing us a breakaway (against Ceci & Nurse) and almost a couple more (against Desharnais & Kulak). Breakouts were an option and we saw a bunch of people making bad choices throughout the game. I saw some people commending Kane for his aggressive play, but he gave the puck away at our blueline repeatedly all night long. McDavid wasn't even doing a great job getting the puck out.

I think coaching plays some role last night too - because they just stopped pushing and that looked tactical. There's this stupid hockey myth that there's some merit in just shutting things down and closing out a game the boring way, but in reality, that's just allowing for a ton of zone time for the other side that wears out your goaltender and defence. Which the Oilers did with predictable results.

Finally, Skinner wasn't good. He just has to be better than that. At least three of those goals weren't great and while everyone is going to make mistakes from time to time, the 5-minute let-down was a hallmark of his play last year in the second round that we just cannot afford to see again. He looked like his belief was reeling when they tied it up, and then that weak, weak sharp angle goal just was a back-breaker.

They need to be better in Game 2. Fortunately, we showed that we shouldn't be afraid of their netminder at all, and that if we take more than 18 shots, we might actually be too much for them to handle.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833427 is a reply to message #833426 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 16:33

I mentioned after the first period last night that we were loose and sloppy on a bunch of plays, costing us a breakaway (against Ceci & Nurse) and almost a couple more (against Desharnais & Kulak). Breakouts were an option and we saw a bunch of people making bad choices throughout the game. I saw some people commending Kane for his aggressive play, but he gave the puck away at our blueline repeatedly all night long. McDavid wasn't even doing a great job getting the puck out.

I think coaching plays some role last night too - because they just stopped pushing and that looked tactical. There's this stupid hockey myth that there's some merit in just shutting things down and closing out a game the boring way, but in reality, that's just allowing for a ton of zone time for the other side that wears out your goaltender and defence. Which the Oilers did with predictable results.

Finally, Skinner wasn't good. He just has to be better than that. At least three of those goals weren't great and while everyone is going to make mistakes from time to time, the 5-minute let-down was a hallmark of his play last year in the second round that we just cannot afford to see again. He looked like his belief was reeling when they tied it up, and then that weak, weak sharp angle goal just was a back-breaker.

They need to be better in Game 2. Fortunately, we showed that we shouldn't be afraid of their netminder at all, and that if we take more than 18 shots, we might actually be too much for them to handle.

I think the shut down stuff may be our rookie coach penalty showing up. Knob needs to change that up, like yesterday, should have been getting drilled in today at practice that the trying to sit on leads thing is done.

Skinner bad for sure. So was the Canucks goalie thankfully, so we had a wonderful shot to win. Biggest difference in the game is 1 team stopped caring about offense. Any game plan for this team that involves willingly having Nurse/Ceci in our zone, with the team in a defensive posture against any legitimate top 6 forwards in the NHL, is a recipe for disaster. Just gotta hope Knob and the team learned.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833430 is a reply to message #833427 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 16:38

I think the shut down stuff may be our rookie coach penalty showing up. Knob needs to change that up, like yesterday, should have been getting drilled in today at practice that the trying to sit on leads thing is done.

Skinner bad for sure. So was the Canucks goalie thankfully, so we had a wonderful shot to win. Biggest difference in the game is 1 team stopped caring about offense. Any game plan for this team that involves willingly having Nurse/Ceci in our zone, with the team in a defensive posture against any legitimate top 6 forwards in the NHL, is a recipe for disaster. Just gotta hope Knob and the team learned.

Also gotta hope that Draisaitl isn't seriously hurt, because that would be a massive loss. Our determination to have a fourth line that never pisses a drop means that we need those top lines to keep producing. Nuge would have to REALLY step up in a way we haven't seen in ages if 29 isn't healthy - or that third line will have to become a lot more consistent as producers fast.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833431 is a reply to message #833430 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 16:47

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 16:38

Also gotta hope that Draisaitl isn't seriously hurt, because that would be a massive loss. Our determination to have a fourth line that never pisses a drop means that we need those top lines to keep producing. Nuge would have to REALLY step up in a way we haven't seen in ages if 29 isn't healthy - or that third line will have to become a lot more consistent as producers fast.

Sounds like Drai didn't skate today :(

Knob said cramps and equipment issues, but that sounded like a rookie coaches first attempt at hiding an injury in NHL playoffs. He didn't sound very convincing. Think he got a pretty good elbow into the lower right back by Myers.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833416 is a reply to message #833410 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I will certainly not make any predictions on how he will perform.

Might get labelled as a Canuck fan.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833419 is a reply to message #833416 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 15:05

Honestly, between that comment of yours and the frankly weird Opera La Bamba that the anthem singer made the questionable decision to release yesterday, I don't know if I've ever been more disappointed to be an Oilers fan. The loss was just the cherry on that cake!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833421 is a reply to message #833419 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 15:22

g2k wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 15:05

Honestly, between that comment of yours and the frankly weird Opera La Bamba that the anthem singer made the questionable decision to release yesterday, I don't know if I've ever been more disappointed to be an Oilers fan. The loss was just the cherry on that cake!

Ha. You should come down to the old tailgate party some road game.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833429 is a reply to message #833306 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

We apparently set a record

Sportsnet Stats @SNstats
Oilers suffer their 8th postseason loss in franchise history when holding a 3-goal lead.

That the most by any team in the history of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833435 is a reply to message #833429 ]
Thu, 09 May 2024 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

2 Cups

Is it Friday yet

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833438 is a reply to message #833435 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 19:33

Is it Friday yet

Yes

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1) [message #833447 is a reply to message #833438 ]
Fri, 10 May 2024 09:59 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

MJ wrote on Fri, 10 May 2024 01:24

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2024 19:33

Is it Friday yet

Yes

Hooray!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca